PDA

View Full Version : Mark will prove why he's the ace tomorrow

gogosox35
09-19-2005, 10:53 PM
I'm saying Mark goes 8+ innings, gives up 4 hits, 1 ER and the Sox beat the Indians 4-1. A repeat of opening day would be nice.

For everyone who says we NEED to take the next two, we don't. We NEED to split the next two for both wild card/division purposes. And yes, the Wild Card is a valid option at this point. Anything that gets you in gets you in and anything can happen from there. We are still alright. We have a 4 game lead over the Yankees, 3.5 over the Red Sox, and 2.5 over the Indians.

Deuce
09-19-2005, 11:08 PM
I need a big shot of hope right now, Mark. We all do. Give 'em hell tomorrow.

Deuce

Cowhead418
09-19-2005, 11:10 PM
I have this feeling tomorrow we will totally beat the **** out of Cleveland. WE WILL WIN THIS SERIES. BOOK IT. A wave of optimism just came over me. Hopefully it proves to be right.

veeter
09-19-2005, 11:20 PM
I'm completely numb. We're all going to lose about 5 years off of our lives from this season. If MB keeps the ball down it will be alright.

Mohoney
09-19-2005, 11:22 PM
I have this feeling tomorrow we will totally beat the **** out of Cleveland. WE WILL WIN THIS SERIES. BOOK IT. A wave of optimism just came over me. Hopefully it proves to be right.

I honestly feel the same way. This team could have put on a "corpseball" exhibit when Millwood went up 4-0. They didn't. There were some real good swings on the ball that ended in outs (Crede's warning track shot, Iguchi's laser beam to the warning track, etc.) along the way, but there were also some good swings in the clutch. Pods in the 9th for example. Iguchi's double in the 5th. Konerko coming through when Everett couldn't do anything in the 5th (although I feel that the pitch Konerko popped up on in the 9th needs to be hit). Everett redeeming himself for his 5th inning failure with a big home run to give us the lead.

We really played better in this game. If we play with this type of urgency in these next 2 games, we might win both.

We just need Mark and Jon to prove why they're all stars.

kaufsox
09-19-2005, 11:24 PM
No doubt about it, Buerle has to step up tomorrow. If he is the #1, that is what #1's do! He is so due for a big game and this counts as pretty big. Lets go SOX!!!

The Dude
09-19-2005, 11:34 PM
It's probably good that I will be following the game until 9:30 on my cell phone since i have a night class, which hopefully means it's over and MB pitched a gem by the time I get back home and turn on the TV. <---crazy run on sentence

Argalarga
09-19-2005, 11:50 PM
If I'm gonna go to war with one pitcher, I want it to be MB. He's stepped up time and time again against the Tribe, and we need it one more time.

BeviBall!
09-20-2005, 12:05 AM
I can't even remember when MB pitched a good game. Oh yeah... against the Tribe.

56, we need you. Time to prove you are an elite pitcher.

gogosox35
09-20-2005, 12:10 AM
If I'm gonna go to war with one pitcher, I want it to be MB. .

Absolutely agree. Theres not anyone I'd rather have on the bump and he will deliver.

Parrothead
09-20-2005, 12:16 AM
I can't even remember when MB pitched a good game. Oh yeah... against the Tribe.

56, we need you. Time to prove you are an elite pitcher.

That was in July when he was pitching well. Lately he has been bad. Right now I would take Contreras over any of the big three.

SoxSpeed22
09-20-2005, 12:19 AM
He better for our sake.

Chips
09-20-2005, 12:36 AM
I Hope He Pitches Lights Out.

RMSoxFan
09-20-2005, 12:48 AM
I really hope MB can dominate tomorrow. I feel better about him than I did about Freddy. I get the feeling that Freddy's struggles aren't just going to disappear immediately. Unfortunately, I also don't think that Mark is going to have his best stuff either. He's had a few good starts lately, but he's not been his usual self. The only guys I really feel good about right now are JC and JG. Hopefully things will turn around tomorrow, because a change is required for this team to go anywhere.

IowaSox1971
09-20-2005, 02:21 AM
Sorry, I don't share the optimism about Buehrle. Remember last Thursday in Kansas City? Here was our "ace" who was going to rescue us after a devastating loss by Hermanson the night before. Then we gave Buehrle a 2-0 lead against the worst team in baseball. By the third inning, it was 2-2, and Kansas City had the momentum. Then Buehrle gave up the go-ahead run in the seventh and we ended up losing the game and series to a horrible team. Kansas City has about one or two decent hitters in its entire lineup. Cleveland has seven or eight good hitters.

And as for Wednesday, keep in mind that Garland threw 123 pitches against Minnesota last Friday, so he might not have his best stuff against Cleveland.

PAPChiSox729
09-20-2005, 06:19 AM

I agree. The Indians are going to get beat down these last two games.
:bandance:

akingamongstmen
09-20-2005, 06:26 AM
It's time for Mark to settle the whole "Who's starting Game 1 of the ALDS?" debate.

BeviBall!
09-20-2005, 06:30 AM
It's time for Mark to settle the whole "Who's starting Game 1 of the ALDS?" debate.

And his comment the other day is why I have harldy any confidence in this guy.

Deuce
09-20-2005, 07:29 AM
Sorry, I don't share the optimism about Buehrle. Remember last Thursday in Kansas City? Here was our "ace" who was going to rescue us after a devastating loss by Hermanson the night before. Then we gave Buehrle a 2-0 lead against the worst team in baseball. By the third inning, it was 2-2, and Kansas City had the momentum. Then Buehrle gave up the go-ahead run in the seventh and we ended up losing the game and series to a horrible team.

If KC was playing like the worst team in baseball, why didn't we have a huge lead going into the 7th? You are not being fair here in the least. Buerhle provided a quality start in that game, only giving up 2 runs in six inning. He gave up a run in the 7th and was charged with an additional run after Fiz fell apart on the mound (surprise, surprise). That loss was due to bad relieving and even worse offense, not a bad start by Buehrle.

One comment trumps years of great performances? Man, its hard enough to watch the games much less to come on this board and get dragged through the mud a second time.

I know things look very dark, but I have faith. Unfortunately thats all thats left these days, but at least I have faith. Mark and/or Jon will come through, or else we won't have much to worry about for the next two weeks...

Deuce

BeviBall!
09-20-2005, 07:32 AM
MB has had 2... 2 good pitching performances in the second half. When your supposed #1 pitcher is pining for Jose to start the playoffs, you're in trouble. Where's the fight?

I hope I'm wrong... but the Sox will need 6 runs to win tonight.

harwar
09-20-2005, 07:33 AM

That was a dumb thing to say to the press,especially in this town.
Better to rattle off some old cliches then talk like a beaten man.
Tonight we are going to see just exactly what Mark Buehrle is made of.
I'm betting that he is a lot tougher than he gives himself credit for.
I absolutely know that J.G. will pitch lights out tomorrow night and i'm thinking that Mark is going to surprise those pompous indian tv guys.

Mohoney
09-20-2005, 07:34 AM
If KC was playing like the worst team in baseball, why didn't we have a huge lead going into the 7th? You are not being fair here in the least. Buerhle provided a quality start in that game, only giving up 2 runs in six inning. He gave up a run in the 7th and was charged with an additional run after Fiz fell apart on the mound (surprise, surprise). That loss was due to bad relieving and even worse offense, not a bad start by Buehrle.

Buehrle CAN'T promptly give the lead back like he did in the 3rd. When we got him a 2-0 lead, he needs to, at the very least, keep it at 2-1, and preferably keep it at 2-0 against a 90+ loss team.

harwar
09-20-2005, 07:37 AM

That was a dumb thing to say to the press,especially in this town.
Better to rattle off some old worn out phrases,then talk like a beaten man.
Tonight we are going to see just exactly what Mark Buehrle is made of.
I'm betting that he is a lot tougher than he gives himself credit for.
I absolutely know that J.G. will pitch lights out tomorrow night and i'm thinking that Mark is going to surprise those pompous indian tv guys.

Deuce
09-20-2005, 07:44 AM
Buehrle CAN'T promptly give the lead back like he did in the 3rd. When we got him a 2-0 lead, he needs to, at the very least, keep it at 2-1, and preferably keep it at 2-0 against a 90+ loss team.

How about scoring more than two runs in seven innings against a 90+ loss team? And he didn't give the lead back in the third, he allowed the game to be tied again.

I'm not saying I wouldn't have loved a no-hitter from Buerhle, but that wasn't a meltdown he had. He gave up 2 in the third, one in the seventh and was charged with another in the seventh. Lets be fair here.

Deuce

RMSoxFan
09-20-2005, 07:56 AM
If KC was playing like the worst team in baseball, why didn't we have a huge lead going into the 7th?

Because we were playing like the worst team in baseball. OK, maybe not the worst, but not a gery good one any way. You're right, we should have had a huge lead going into the 7th.

I don't think Mark pitched awful in that game, but he didn't pitch like the CY contender he used to be. In fact, I'd say that's the problem right now in general: this team isn't playing like the World Series contender that it used to be.

Mohoney
09-20-2005, 07:59 AM
How about scoring more than two runs in seven innings against a 90+ loss team? And he didn't give the lead back in the third, he allowed the game to be tied again.

I'm not saying I wouldn't have loved a no-hitter from Buerhle, but that wasn't a meltdown he had. He gave up 2 in the third, one in the seventh and was charged with another in the seventh. Lets be fair here.

Deuce

Excellent point, but in all fairness, he has promptly given up tying runs in one inning more than once since the all star break, twice against Boston, and against the Angels. Plus, we all know that this offense executes the fundamentals best when they have a pitcher cruising behind them, and they haven't been coming through in pressure situations lately.

All star pitchers hold leads when their offense gets them. Buehrle has not. I really want the trend to reverse tonight, say with 3 runs in the bottom of the 1st off Westbrook AND BUEHRLE HOLDING THE 3-0 LEAD FOR AT LEAST 2 INNINGS until our hitters get another look at Westbrook and add a run or 2 more.

itsnotrequired
09-20-2005, 08:27 AM
I'm completely numb. We're all going to lose about 5 years off of our lives from this season. If MB keeps the ball down it will be alright.

No doubt. I slept like crap last night, my stomach churning over the tough loss. It was nice to see the offense come alive again. I have a good feeling they will be back again tonight and with MB due for a solid performance, things are looking up.

I sure hope they look up. I need a restful night of sleep!

MsSoxVixen22
09-20-2005, 08:28 AM
Buehrle....have faith in yourself....we have faith in you!! Open up a major can of whoop a$$ tonite! As for Mark's "comment", cut the guy some slack. Mark is no media whore, he's probably just as upset as the rest of us are.

slavko
09-20-2005, 09:26 AM
Can you believe some of us are still talking Cy about this guy? And may I mention that the league has figured out how to steal bases off him? Some of the credit for the latter goes to AJ. I am very apprehensive about this one.

Clarkdog
09-20-2005, 10:32 AM

Keeping the ball down will be key. Looking at the Indians lineup - the key to thier success has been how well the top of thier lineup hits right-handed pitching. The number in parens is the drop off in average against left-handed pitching. Sizemore (46), Crisp (98), Hafner (71), Martinez (36), Boone (43), Broussard (33). That is the engine that score runs for the Indians. Peralta is the only player in the top 7 whose average improves against lefties.

Pitch Peralta carefully, execute your pitches and avoid walks, and I think the Indians will have trouble stringing hits together.

Lip Man 1
09-20-2005, 10:48 AM
Westbrook and Contreras lead the league in second half wins. Both have nine of them.

Lip

jdm2662
09-20-2005, 10:54 AM
MB has really pissed me off since the Texas series. Well, I'm going out on a limb here. After Santana shut down the Sox on Sat, I said I think they will win tommorrow. They did. I didn't make a comment about yesterday's game, and they lost. I think they will tonight. Mark, give everyone a favor and pitch like a so called ace and not an ass.