PDA

View Full Version : JR on Mike North

32nd&Wallace
09-19-2005, 02:18 PM
Don't know if there is a thread on this but JR was on Mike North around 8.20 this morning. Any highlights?

wdelaney72
09-19-2005, 02:40 PM
Don't know if there is a thread on this but JR was on Mike North around 8.20 this morning. Any highlights?

That would mean listening to the "Mike North morning Show". No thanks.

HOPEFULLY it was about the team. Any public discussions on next year's radio booth should be avoided until the season concludes.

Palehose13
09-19-2005, 02:50 PM
I heard the tail end of it on my way to work.

-North asked about having hindsight and should a trade have been made. JR said (confirmed) that a trade was agreed upon by KW and another GM for a significant player, but the owner of the other team axed it. North was trying to get him to say it was Griffey, but JR was too slippery for that!

-North asked about changes in the offseason (adding more offense) and JR basically said that you need to make changes every off season or you'll never get better.

- Was asked about Frank Thomas' future. JR stated that he wants Frank to retire in a Sox uniform and money will not be a factor. KW and Ozzie will decide what to do and whatever is decided about Frank it will be a baseball decision not a money decision.

-North asked about getting Ozzie cheap (because of the extension til 09 signed earlier this year). JR said that Ozzie makes what is fair for a 2nd year manager. Ozzie wanted to sing an extension, that he isn't about the money, and wants to stay with the white Sox for the rest of his life.

chitownhawkfan
09-19-2005, 02:55 PM
Did he discuss the potential for him being a Sox broadcaster in the future?

SouthSide_HitMen
09-19-2005, 03:00 PM
Did he discuss the potential for him being a Sox broadcaster in the future?

:chunks

Ol' No. 2
09-19-2005, 03:02 PM
Did he discuss the potential for him being a Sox broadcaster in the future?Reinsdorf would make a lousy broadcaster.:cool:

Flight #24
09-19-2005, 03:06 PM
- Was asked about Frank Thomas' future. JR stated that he wants Frank to retire in a Sox uniform and money will not be a factor. KW and Ozzie will decide what to do and whatever is decided about Frank it will be a baseball decision not a money decision.

:party:
:cheers:
:thumbsup:
:yup:

If money's not a factor, then I can't see him not staying. There is no baseball perspective that devoid of money would make it a bad risk to keep Frank around if the docs say he'll be able to play by midseason. The man can flat-out hit, and we've seen that even in his brief appearance this year.

Palehose13
09-19-2005, 03:10 PM
Reinsdorf would make a lousy broadcaster.:cool:

LOL...I don't know the exact question, but when I got into the car North was asking JR about making on-field decisions and such. JR said something like, "if I wanted to do that I'd manage the club myself. I hired Kenny and Ozzie to do those things and I let them handle it."

I was a bit shocked because from what I heard, it was a good interview. JR was personable and North asked some good questions. He wasn't sugar-coating anything.

BTW...the 5-10 minutes that I did hear North said nothing about broadcasting for the Sox (taking over for Rooney)

dickallen15
09-19-2005, 03:12 PM
If money is not a factor with Thomas, when he exercises his player option for $10 million next season, that would mean the Sox wouldn't try to pay the $3.5 million buyout instead, wouldn't it? To pay him $10 million next year would be the silliest thing they have ever done.

Palehose13
09-19-2005, 03:17 PM
If money is not a factor with Thomas, when he exercises his player option for $10 million next season, that would mean the Sox wouldn't try to pay the $3.5 million buyout instead, wouldn't it? To pay him $10 million next year would be the silliest thing they have ever done.

After the interview North commented on this and believed that "money won't be a factor" could be translated into 'Frank is willing to renegotiate his contract."

Flight #24
09-19-2005, 03:18 PM

Only if it impacted the on-field payroll.

But my guess is that JR's said to KW "Let's keep Frank around as long as he's being reasonable financially. He's not going to get a ton, so he should get it here". Or more specifically "I'm willing to pay out a $5mil salary to Frank to keep him around without it impacting anythign we were going to do payroll-wise, and he won't get more than that on the open market"

Ol' No. 2
09-19-2005, 03:18 PM
If money is not a factor with Thomas, when he exercises his player option for $10 million next season, that would mean the Sox wouldn't try to pay the $3.5 million buyout instead, wouldn't it? To pay him $10 million next year would be the silliest thing they have ever done.Thomas isn't out to break the bank. He wants to play a few more years. He's said he wants to stay with the Sox, which I interpret to mean if they offer him a fair deal for 3 years including incentives, he'll sign.

Nellie_Fox
09-19-2005, 03:19 PM
To pay him $10 million next year would be the silliest thing they have ever done.It wouldn't even be in the top one hundred silliest things the Sox have ever done.

SOXPHILE
09-19-2005, 04:10 PM
He also tried to press the Chairman about Ozzie constantly resting starters all throughout the season. Jerry said something to the effect of that he's trying to get the bench players at bats so that when called upon to pinch hit or start in an emergency situation they'll be able to, and won't be ineffective from lack of playing time.

cheeses_h_rice
09-19-2005, 04:16 PM
For as much as I bash Mike North, I heard most of his interview with Reinsdorf today, and have to admit that North -- when he actually bears down and focuses strictly on sports -- can be an effective interviewer. He says what's on the minds of the fans and isn't afraid to ask tough questions, even if he knows he's going to get the runaround.

So, uh, kudos to Media Troll North for the job he did today.

spongyfungy
09-19-2005, 05:00 PM
http://www.670thescore.com/audibles/

Mohoney
09-19-2005, 05:14 PM
To pay him $10 million next year would be the silliest thing they have ever done.

:jaime

Done and done.

SouthSide_HitMen
09-19-2005, 05:17 PM
I was hoping to hear "You won't get another bite out of this apple."

Oh well. More important things at hand - Like tonight's game which I am heading off to. Go White Sox!!!

Frankly Missing
09-19-2005, 06:25 PM
Hearing JR's comments on Frank really floats my boat!!

SOXfnNlansing
09-19-2005, 07:38 PM
It wouldn't even be in the top one hundred silliest things the Sox have ever done. You're right 1. Navarro 2. Sax 3. Pasqua 4. Ritchie .........

SOXSINCE'70
09-19-2005, 07:42 PM
You're right 1. Navarro 2. Sax 3. Pasqua 4. Ritchie .........

5.Dave Steib
6.Cory Snyder
7.John Kruk
8.Chris Sabo
9.Mike Devereaux(sp??)
10.Danny Tartabull

SOXfnNlansing
09-19-2005, 07:44 PM
:worship: 5.Dave Steib
6.Cory Snyder
7.John Kruk
8.Chris Sabo
9.Mike Devereaux(sp??)
10.Danny Tartabull:worship:

SOXSINCE'70
09-19-2005, 07:48 PM
:worship: :worship:

Oh yeah.I forgot:

11.Lou Frazier (at the end of his career).
12.Dave Martinez

BeeBeeRichard
09-19-2005, 08:43 PM
13. Jose Paniagua
14. Oil Can Boyd
15. Terry Bevington
16. GM Harrelson
17. George Foster
18. Alfornia Jones
19. ahem, George Bell