PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Jenks Era

Minnie Me
09-19-2005, 01:55 PM
Is this the beginning of the Bobby Jenks era? Is Dustin done as our closer? Will Jenks be the closer? Has Bad Bobby faced the Indians this year?

PatK
09-19-2005, 01:56 PM
I don't know if Bobby is the closer NOW, but he definately will be next year.

wdelaney72
09-19-2005, 01:57 PM
All depends on Hermanson's back. I agree, though, Bobby is our guy next year.

Minnie Me
09-19-2005, 02:01 PM
Does anybody know, if the Indians have seen Jenks yet. Remember that Thome is no longer on the Indians. We not afraid.

wdelaney72
09-19-2005, 02:05 PM
Does anybody know, if the Indians have seen Jenks yet. Remember that Thome is no longer on the Indians. We not afraid.

I believe that is a "no".

MISoxfan
09-19-2005, 02:09 PM
I think it's around 1.90

Oh, wait.

Jenks4Pres
09-19-2005, 02:10 PM
Jenks 4 Pres

Dice
09-19-2005, 02:10 PM
Bobby should be our closer NOW! No disrespect to Hermanson. He's done a hell of a job as the closer BUT he got the role because he beat out Shingo. Now he must bow out because Jenks is doing the same. IMO, Hermanson will be more valuable as a set-up/middle reliever if we make the playoffs. Jenks just has pure closer stuff and knows how to use it.

slavko
09-19-2005, 02:23 PM
Bobby should lose either the curve or the slider if he is going to close, not start. A closer doesn't need 4 pitches. I love his curve, but the slider looks more like a fastball coming off his hand, so that would decide it for me. He, like the backachy Hermy, is not afraid to throw strikes.

Ol' No. 2
09-19-2005, 02:32 PM
Bobby should lose either the curve or the slider if he is going to close, not start. A closer doesn't need 4 pitches. I love his curve, but the slider looks more like a fastball coming off his hand, so that would decide it for me. He, like the backachy Hermy, is not afraid to throw strikes.Is this a joke? His curve is DEVASTATING. It's the slider that's so-so, but a third pitch is always nice to have in the arsenal to pull out once in a while.

NonetheLoaiza
09-19-2005, 02:33 PM
Bobby should lose either the curve or the slider if he is going to close, not start. A closer doesn't need 4 pitches. I love his curve, but the slider looks more like a fastball coming off his hand, so that would decide it for me. He, like the backachy Hermy, is not afraid to throw strikes.

A pitcher shouldn't just 'lose' one of his pitches. Those 4 pitches are part of his arsenal, and the fact that he mainly uses the fastball and curve together shows that he understands what he has to do out there as a closer. But, just because a pitcher has 3 or 4 pitches doesn't mean he uses all of them equally. Nor does it mean that he should necessarily get rid of one of them so that he can use another one more. When he uses his fastball to set up that curve, it can be a thing of beauty.

SoxFan76
09-19-2005, 02:35 PM

No offense man, but that's ridiculous. His curve isn't 12-6. It's 12-(-6) which would make it a 12+6. Just kididng, I mean that thing falls off the table. It compliments his fastball perfectly. Actually, I'd like to see him improve his changeup. He'd be almost unstoppable.

wdelaney72
09-19-2005, 02:39 PM
Is this a joke? His curve is DEVASTATING. It's the slider that's so-so, but a third pitch is always nice to have in the arsenal to pull out once in a while.

Exactly. Doesn't Mariano Rivera have 3 or 4 pitches? Last I checked, he was a pretty good closer.

Minnie Me
09-19-2005, 02:41 PM
I loved the Jenks/Lacroy showdown yesterday. Our fatboy vs the Twins fatboy.

SoxFan76
09-19-2005, 02:44 PM
Exactly. Doesn't Mariano Rivera have 3 or 4 pitches? Last I checked, he was a pretty good closer.

I THINK he has 2....fastball/cutter. I could be wrong considering I don't follow the Yankees.

fquaye149
09-19-2005, 02:44 PM

Well..I think you all are kind of misunderstanding this post. I remember in Boston Jenks relied a little too heavily on his slider against Graffy, for instance. His slider is his third pitch and should never be featured.

He shouldn't necessarily lose it, but until it's a plus pitch like his fastball and his curve, it should be used as a waste pitch primarily. Yes, Rivera has 3 or 4 pitches, but he goes primarily with the cutter. He makes his money off the cutter. Someone like Gagne would be a better example, but even he favors one pitch over the others. The fastball is the ice cream. The curveball is the hot fudge. The slider is the cherry on top. Frankly, I don't much care for cherries:)

Soxzilla
09-19-2005, 02:48 PM
I think through the rest of this season we use Jenks as our closer. He has shown time and time again this year he has nerves of steel, and he has the 'stuff' to be an everday closer.

No offense to Hermanson, who has been one of the elite closers of this year, but he seems hurt and tired. He will be more valuable to us next year completely healthy, and coming in as a secondary set-up man (Behind Cliff).

jerry myers
09-19-2005, 03:38 PM
imagine if jeks gets better. WOW!

jerry myers
09-19-2005, 03:39 PM
oops jenks.

Lip Man 1
09-19-2005, 03:46 PM
Mario throws three pitches... a cutter, a two seam fastball and a four seam fastball.
His cutter is his best pitch... the other two are used simply to set it up.

However when you have stuff like his that is so damn good, you don't need anything else....batters can't hit it.

Lip

Foulke You
09-19-2005, 03:46 PM
You have to ride the hot hand so Jenks has got to be your go to guy in the 9th right now. He is just throwing the ball incredibly right now and Hermanson is not. Hermy's velocity is way down from when he was dominating and his location just isn't there.

I'd like to see Ozzie get Hermanson some work against one batter here and there in a setup role so he can gain his control and confidence back. If Ozzie did opt for Hermanson, I would feel comfortable with him based on his track record this season and his experience, but you can't turn a blind eye to the way Bobby is throwing the ball right now which is why given the choice in this Indians series, I'd go with Bobby.

bigdommer
09-19-2005, 04:00 PM
If I know Ozzie, I am sure that he will use both, according to the "situation." My guess is that he will have the freedom of using Jenks/Hermy for 2 innings in a game, thus letting one rest while one is available the next night. Or if there is a jam that requires a K ball, Jenks is the man.

Stroker Ace
09-19-2005, 04:31 PM
I THINK he has 2....fastball/cutter. I could be wrong considering I don't follow the Yankees.Yep. Mariano only has a fastball and a cutter with incredible control.

SoxFan76
09-19-2005, 04:32 PM
Yep. Mariano only has a fastball and a cutter with incredible control.

I thank MVP Baseball 2005 for that info.

dpbyron
09-19-2005, 04:40 PM
Yep. Mariano only has a fastball and a cutter with incredible control.

I would guess that he throws the cutter almost 90% of the time now. When you have pitch that is that nasty you should throw it as much as possible!

Huisj
09-19-2005, 04:43 PM
Someone like Gagne would be a better example, but even he favors one pitch over the others. The fastball is the ice cream. The curveball is the hot fudge. The slider is the cherry on top. Frankly, I don't much care for cherries:)

If those are what his fastball, curve, and slider are, then his changeup must be its own sundae altogether. That's his real devistating pitch.

fquaye149
09-19-2005, 06:35 PM
If those are what his fastball, curve, and slider are, then his changeup must be its own sundae altogether. That's his real devistating pitch.

haha, that's bad writing on my part here.

I was trying to talk about Jenks and his fastball curve and slider.

Yeah - Gagne's changeup is his pitch (although his fastball ain't half bad)

Daver
09-19-2005, 06:43 PM

He has one, a fastball, which he can cut both directions and change speeds on.

Mr. White Sox
09-19-2005, 06:55 PM
I loved the Jenks/Lacroy showdown yesterday. Our fatboy vs the Twins fatboy.

Every team has a fatboy, yes?

Wickman
LeCroix
Jenks
Giambi
Ortiz
Stairs
Mench
The list goes on and on...

SOXfnNlansing
09-19-2005, 07:18 PM
Exactly. Doesn't Mariano Rivera have 3 or 4 pitches? Last I checked, he was a pretty good closer.no, he has fast ball and cutter

rainbow6
09-19-2005, 07:36 PM
Bruce Levine reported this afternoon that Ozzie declared today that Jenks is the closer vs. righties and Marte vs. lefties the rest of the way...

Or should I say "Bad Bobby"

Luke