PDA

View Full Version : Cub fan Phil Rogers touts The Tribe in ESPN coulumn

Gym Shoe
09-19-2005, 12:14 PM
I don't get all the hating of Phil Rogers that goes on here. In his article today, he hits exactly on the head the true situation of the White Sox, and what has happened with regard to the lead, the current status vs. Indians, etc.

Who would you rather be right now, the Tribe or the Sox? 4 games in the loss column with 14 to play? I don't care what's going on (yeah it's not as much), but it's still 4 games.

"The Sox have had their ugly moments along the way, sureóthose back-to-back losses last week in Kansas City stand outóbut the reality is their lead has disappeared more because of Cleveland's great play than their bad play. The Indians' 32-11 record since Aug. 1 gives them a shot at one of the fastest finishes in history. They've made up 111/2 games on the Sox, who once held a 15-game lead."

This is right on the money. How many people in June, all over Chicago, were saying, "If the White Sox play just .500 ball the rest of the way, they'll win it easily."? Well, they've played better than that and everyone acts as if they are collapsing? Collapse? Surely not. They've hit some snags but this is way more of a case of the Indians just be amazing than the Sox flubbing. A true collapse would be below .500 in the 2nd half, or at least starting out September poorly (not winning 7 in a row).

"But it's wrong to paint the Sox as a team clinging to a life preserver. They haven't had a run of injuries and appear to be in stunningly good mental health, with few players hanging their heads like the Cubs did late in 2004."

Again, he's right on it. I wish all these idiots (like that guy Gary Reinmuth in the Trib who said he's going to become a Cards fan because he knows the White Sox will blow it) would just go and convert already. I thought we were the people who just blamed poor play and not curses on our losing? They all act as if wearing that uniform has something to do with this year's team. It's quite ridiculous.

In any case, I wanted to give Rogers props. He gets attacked on this board, but he's right on here. Right on.

Remember, the greatest choke job in the history happened last year gentlemen, do you remember who had it?

The New York Yankees. And it was against the most unlikely of foes, the supposedly "cursed" one. Let's be real about this and just watch what happens. Use rational behavior and realize that according to most baseball history, the truth is, the Indians can't keep it up. Most likely, they won't.

Gym

antitwins13
09-19-2005, 02:07 PM
When will the bias end?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=rogers_phil&id=2166045

Hangar18
09-19-2005, 02:27 PM
well, hes writing what alot of us knew already. That team is pretty good

MarySwiss
09-19-2005, 02:31 PM

Okay Hangar, now go online and read his column in today's Trib. This guy is unreal.

maurice
09-19-2005, 02:44 PM
Media buffoon Phil Rogers likes the Toons' chances?
That's the kiss of death. Victory is ours!
:gulp:

fquaye149
09-19-2005, 02:47 PM

they're all right. fat on the weak.

stop being scurred hangar. stop beign scurred.

jerry myers
09-19-2005, 04:47 PM
i dont the cubs choke was pretty good.

Lip Man 1
09-19-2005, 04:56 PM
Gym:

Most likely they will because they are playing garbage teams in the Royals and Devil Rays. However what Cleveland does the rest of the way doesn't matter as long as the White Sox have the lead. If they play well enough to get at least one game and then take care of business against Minnesota they should be O.K. regardless of what Cleveland does.

If they do not...then you have an entirely different set of circumstances.

Lip

Cowhead418
09-19-2005, 07:07 PM
Since when did we have a 123 game lead?:redneck

MarySwiss
09-19-2005, 07:20 PM
I don't get all the hating of Phil Rogers that goes on here. In his article today, he hits exactly on the head the true situation of the White Sox, and what has happened with regard to the lead, the current status vs. Indians, etc.

Who would you rather be right now, the Tribe or the Sox? 4 games in the loss column with 14 to play? I don't care what's going on (yeah it's not as much), but it's still 4 games.
In any case, I wanted to give Rogers props. He gets attacked on this board, but he's right on here. Right on.

Okay. Fine. You read his column in the Cubune. Now read the rest of this thread and then check out what he wrote for ESPN--also today--as posted by another WSI regular. And before you give someone his "props," make sure he deserves them.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/colum...phil&id=2166045 (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=rogers_phil&id=2166045)