PDA

View Full Version : Garcia quote : "I dont care about the fans"

The Dude
09-19-2005, 12:22 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-doug19.html

''I don't care about the fans, I just care about this team,'' Garcia said. ''If we help each other and play good baseball, that's all I care about.

''The fans, I don't know. Whatever they do, that's their problem. I don't really go there. I care about the Chicago White Sox, and that's the only thing I care about."

Maybe I'm reading too much into this but it sure sounds a lot like that Garland comment last season after he was booed. I posted it in this garbage forum because I think it's a horrible quote and if it's already been posted somewhere else, I apologize.

kittle42
09-19-2005, 12:40 PM
On a related note, I couldn't give two craps what Freddy Garcia *says* - I also only care about the Chicago White Sox.

So I suppose Freddy and I feel the same way about each other.

crazyozzie02
09-19-2005, 12:43 PM
On a related note, I couldn't give two craps what Freddy Garcia *says* - I also only care about the Chicago White Sox.

Amen Brother

skobabe8
09-19-2005, 12:44 PM

I agree. I may be in the minority, but quotes like this from players doesnt really bother or offend me, even though we do help to pay their salaries. I dont really care what the players think as long as they bust their butts and win games.

The Dude
09-19-2005, 12:45 PM

I just hate when players say things like this because they wouldnt be bringing home the millions of dollars that they do if the FANS didnt care about them.

Obviously without fans, sports wouldnt exist and players should just keep their comments to themselves, in my opinion.

Rocky Soprano
09-19-2005, 12:45 PM
I would be willing to bet that they are using his quote in the wrong context. I bet he said something like I don't care about attendance or I don't care if the fans show up, I care about the team.

And now they are trying to make it seem like he said he doesn't care about the fans.

skobabe8
09-19-2005, 12:46 PM
I would be willing to bet that they are using his quote in the wrong context. I bet he said something like I don't care about attendance or I don't care if the fans show up, I care about the team.

And now they are trying to make it seem like he said he doesn't care about the fans.

More than likely.

Palehose13
09-19-2005, 12:46 PM
I think this is the attitude that he should have. I'm not so sure if I think he should have said it to a reporter, but oh well...

It makes me wonder how he was "baited" by the reporter.

The Dude
09-19-2005, 12:47 PM

Well we are dealing with the "Bright one" here. I should've figured.

MarySwiss
09-19-2005, 12:48 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-doug19.html

''I don't care about the fans, I just care about this team,'' Garcia said. ''If we help each other and play good baseball, that's all I care about.

''The fans, I don't know. Whatever they do, that's their problem. I don't really go there. I care about the Chicago White Sox, and that's the only thing I care about."

Maybe I'm reading too much into this but it sure sounds a lot like that Garland comment last season after he was booed. I posted it in this garbage forum because I think it's a horrible quote and if it's already been posted somewhere else, I apologize.

I think you're reading too much into it. This comment followed a paragraph that talked about something we don't want to talk about. Also, there's no way of knowing if this was the entire quote. Somehow, I doubt it.

Banix12
09-19-2005, 12:48 PM
You know, realistically I don't care what the players say as long as they win. I care about their performance not so much their opinions. As long as Garcia wins games he can claim he's Bonny Prince Charlie and try to take back the throne of England by force for all I care. Now if he goes on a 10 game losing streak with an ERA over 6. Then keep your opinions to yourself.

I'm sure though his quote has more to do with the idea that he can't control the fans opinions or (the topic which no man must speak its name) so he'll stick to his own business, it was just worded poorly.

fusillirob1983
09-19-2005, 12:52 PM
Carl Everett made a similar quote early in the year. I don't think it's a dig at the fans, but more that he wants to do what he can to help the team.

D. TODD
09-19-2005, 01:28 PM
I agree. I may be in the minority, but quotes like this from players doesnt really bother or offend me, even though we do help to pay their salaries. I dont really care what the players think as long as they bust their butts and win games. I agree totally with his quote! If players are concerned with the fans loving them or calling them a bum, then they won't be worth much overall. Fans will love you when you are doing well and heap praise , or they will hate you when you slump and call you worthless. A player should not be concerned with the opinions of the millions of fans, they need to concentrate on the Field with their teamates & manager.

I took his message as screw what everyone else thinks, we (the team) will just worry about taking care of business, not if we're loved by the fans at this moment.

maurice
09-19-2005, 01:41 PM
You have to consider the context. Despite the undisputed facts to the contrary, every reporter in town keeps berating these guys with allegations that they lack fan support. Garcia's comments were in response to this BS. IMHO, he's saying that he:
- doesn't care about how many fans come to any given game ("I don't care")
- doesn't want to comment on attendance ("I don't really go there"), and
- only cares about winning ("I just care about this team . . . . play good baseball, that's the only thing I care about").
I agree with Garcia.

JMHO.

bennyw41
09-19-2005, 01:45 PM
I want the Sox to worry about one thing. Winning. Not the fans, not the attendance, not anything but winning. Props to Freddy, Gitt'r done.

D. TODD
09-19-2005, 01:46 PM
You have to consider the context. Despite the undisputed facts to the contrary, every reporter in town keeps berating these guys with allegations that they lack fan support. Garcia's comments were in response to this BS. IMHO, he's saying that he:
- doesn't care about how many fans come to any given game ("I don't care")
- doesn't want to comment on attendance ("I don't really go there"), and
- only cares about winning ("I just care about this team . . . . play good baseball, that's the only thing I care about").
I agree with Garcia.

JMHO. I agree he is focused on the right thing; beating the Indians in this series, not on how many fans will see them do it at the Cell. Although I'll be there tonight, so I hope he does a good job of entertaining me! Just Win Baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IowaSox1971
09-19-2005, 01:47 PM
I'm not bothered by the Garcia quote at all. In the context in which it was said, I believe he meant that he's not affected by how many fans show up. That's the type of attitude a player should have. Win the game -- don't worry about how many people are in the stands.

Dick Allen
09-19-2005, 01:50 PM
With the way the team has played in front of big crowds this year, maybe he shouldn't care.