PDA

View Full Version : What are the Chances?

crazyozzie02
09-19-2005, 11:28 AM
I got a question for everybody. Does anyone know what the chances are of the White Sox clinching the division this sunday against the twins. (Its fan appreication day and im going) If anyone can provide me with this info i would greatly appreicate it. Thanks

Colin

FielderJones
09-19-2005, 11:33 AM
I got a question for everybody. Does anyone know what the chances are of the White Sox clinching the division this sunday against the twins. (Its fan appreication day and im going) If anyone can provide me with this info i would greatly appreicate it. Thanks

The Sox would have to sweep the entire homestand and get help from one KC win over Cleveland in order to clinch it on Sunday.

BRDSR
09-19-2005, 11:33 AM
If the White Sox swept the Indians this week the magic number would be 5 going into play Thursday the 22nd. If the Sox won 2 out of the first 3 against Minnesota and the Indians lost two of three to the Royals during that time, the Sox would be in position to clinch on the 25th.

The chances are slim to none.

TDog
09-19-2005, 11:34 AM

Colin

It would probably require a sweep of the Tribe and the Santana-laden Twinks. Even then, I think the Tribe would have to lose one in KC. I'm not in the odds business, so you figure it out.

anewman35
09-19-2005, 11:35 AM

Colin

The magic number is 11 right now. It could be 9 after today, 7 after tomorrow, 5 after Wednesday, 3 after Thursday, 1 after Friday, and we could clinch on Saturday. To clinch on Sunday, the combined total of Sox wins and Indian losses in the next 6 days has to be 10. In other words, probably not, unless the Indians start playing a lot worse.

FielderJones
09-19-2005, 11:44 AM
There might also be some scenarios where the Red Sox and Yankees lose a lot of games and get eliminated from the Wild Card while Cleveland wins four after losing three to the Sox. The Yanks and Red Sox don't play each other again until the final series of the season. If the Sox and Jndjans were to tie records, and New York and Boston were eliminated from the Wild Card, the Sox would take the Central title based on head-to-head record.

However, it all starts with a Sox sweep of the Jndjans. If Cleveland wins just one the Sox will have to clinch on the road.

FielderJones
09-19-2005, 11:47 AM
The magic number is 11 right now. It could be 9 after today, 7 after tomorrow, 5 after Wednesday, 3 after Thursday, 1 after Friday, and we could clinch on Saturday. To clinch on Sunday, the combined total of Sox wins and Indian losses in the next 6 days has to be 10. In other words, probably not, unless the Indians start playing a lot worse.

There is no scenario where the Sox control their own destiny to clinch at home. They need either a little help from KC or a lot of help from TB, Bal, and Tor.