PDA

View Full Version : This First Game is Very Important

fquaye149
09-19-2005, 11:03 AM
I have been stalwart throughout this season (thanks in part to the stellar play of the White Sox in the first half), but I think even West, VC and PHG would agree that this is a very important game.

If we win this one we guarantee they will pick up no more than one game on us in this series. At worst that puts us 2.5 up. If we lose, we're not in trouble, but they get that 2.5 back with two more games to make up and three more to carry momentum through.

Here's hoping Freddy has a great game and that we continue to own the Jndjans, especially in this, the first important game we've played in MONTHS!

Baby Fisk
09-19-2005, 11:08 AM
I have been stalwart throughout this season (thanks in part to the stellar play of the White Sox in the first half), but I think even West, VC and PHG would agree that this is a very important game.

Yeah, but is it a "must win"? For the sake of the Mods' mental health, the answer must be YES! :nuts:

MsSoxVixen22
09-19-2005, 11:09 AM
IMHO, EVERY game is important. Today, providing we don't get rained out, we need to set a tone for the rest of the way. We need to show the Indians who's boss and knock the cover off the ball. Freddy, Mark and Jon need to all have stellar outing and run support. And keep with the reg lineup Ozzie! We need the best players on the field! I am keeping my fingers crossed and hope the sox come out firing!

cheeses_h_rice
09-19-2005, 11:11 AM
At least 1 out of 3 this series is absolutely essential.

2 out of 3 would be great.

A sweep pretty much clinches the division.

To me, doesn't matter when they win, so long as they win.

LET'S GO SOX.

harwar
09-19-2005, 11:12 AM
Here's hoping Freddy has a great game and that we continue to own the Jndjans, especially in this, the first important game we've played in MONTHS!

This is why we got him,for games like this.
I want to see the thinking pitcher,who never gives in to a hitter,out there tonight.

kittle42
09-19-2005, 11:15 AM
I think we'll see the usual Freddy 2-3 run first inning (which is even more likely because it's the Indians - I swear since the days of the great Albert Belle and Jim Thome, this damn team scores in the top of the first EVERY SINGLE TIME I am at game), and that they'll have to show some damn character coming back and kicking their asses.

Mickster
09-19-2005, 11:18 AM
I think we'll see the usual Freddy 2-3 run first inning (which is even more likely because it's the Indians - I swear since the days of the great Albert Belle and Jim Thome, this damn team scores in the top of the first EVERY SINGLE TIME I am at game), and that they'll have to show some damn character coming back and kicking their asses.

DON'T GO TO THE GAME! :redneck

MarySwiss
09-19-2005, 11:20 AM
I swear since the days of the great Albert Belle and Jim Thome, this damn team scores in the top of the first EVERY SINGLE TIME I am at game.

Er, I don't suppose you'd consider taking one for the team and staying home?

:cool:

Hangar18
09-19-2005, 11:21 AM
:hawk

" I LUV Big Games "

Uhoh .......... not another "this-games-huge" debate !

Hangar18
09-19-2005, 11:26 AM

No kidding
I actually think the FIRST INNING is huge........ Im thinking by bottom of the 1st, we'll be down 2-0. If Freddie can get past the first and no runs, were in the game.
The key if they do score 2 runs ...........is to hold them RIGHT THERE and come back. Weve been averaging one to two runs per game lately ........ that doesnt bode well for us.
Gut Check Time ..........

Johnny Mostil
09-19-2005, 11:43 AM
No kidding
I actually think the FIRST INNING is huge........ Im thinking by bottom of the 1st, we'll be down 2-0. If Freddie can get past the first and no runs, were in the game.
The key if they do score 2 runs ...........is to hold them RIGHT THERE and come back. Weve been averaging one to two runs per game lately ........ that doesnt bode well for us.
Gut Check Time ..........

Uh huh. Check out the line score from the last game when the Indians scored in the top of the first against the White Sox: http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/wrapup.jsp?ymd=20050604&content_id=1075393&vkey=wrapup2004&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

I hope Garcia holds them scoreless in the first, but I think the Sox can find the will to carry on if not . . .

Jjav829
09-19-2005, 11:52 AM
The good news: Freddy and Millwood have pitched against each other twice this year, both in the first two weeks of the season. The Sox won both of those games.

The bad news: Millwood has owned us this year. He's allowed just 3 runs in 21 innings of work against the Sox this year. He received a no decision in the first game, which was the second game of the year when Wickman gave up 4 in the 9th. He took the loss in the second game because the Indians scored just 1 run for him. He received the loss in the 3rd game because the Indians offense was shutout by Contreras and the pen.

I think game 1 definitely favors the Indians. Millwood has completely shut us down so far this year and their offense is better than when Freddy faced them earlier in the year. Freddy must avoid a big first inning. A 2 or 3 run deficit in the 1st inning against Millwood could put an early end to this game.

kevingrt
09-19-2005, 12:20 PM
The rest of the games are important, but this game one is especially important. Nothing could be bigger right now for the White Sox then a big win versus the Indians at the Cell in front of a sell-out. Maybe the media and every fan in the world could get off our back. I wanna see Freddy Garcia pitch a big game in a big game.

Prediction: Sox 5 Indians 2

santo=dorf
09-19-2005, 12:27 PM
Garica this season vs. the toons: 2-0, 1.71 ERA, 1.10 WHIP, .517 OPS against. :yup:

skobabe8
09-19-2005, 12:59 PM
The good news: Freddy and Millwood have pitched against each other twice this year, both in the first two weeks of the season. The Sox won both of those games.

The bad news: Millwood has owned us this year. He's allowed just 3 runs in 21 innings of work against the Sox this year. He received a no decision in the first game, which was the second game of the year when Wickman gave up 4 in the 9th. He took the loss in the second game because the Indians scored just 1 run for him. He received the loss in the 3rd game because the Indians offense was shutout by Contreras and the pen.

I think game 1 definitely favors the Indians. Millwood has completely shut us down so far this year and their offense is better than when Freddy faced them earlier in the year. Freddy must avoid a big first inning. A 2 or 3 run deficit in the 1st inning against Millwood could put an early end to this game.

On the flip side, Millwood has pitched near flawlessly against us 3 times and doesnt have a win to show for it. He knows he's gonna need to be perfect again tonight. Food for thought.

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-19-2005, 01:03 PM
It's a big game...hell, all the remaining ones are...Freddy himself has said, "I pitch better for the big games"...talk the talk, now walk the walk.

Palehose13
09-19-2005, 01:03 PM
The next three games are important. I would love to sweep, but realistically I see the Sox taking 2 of 3. I don't think it makes much difference if the lose the first one and then win the next two or vice versa.

Iwritecode
09-19-2005, 01:20 PM
The next three games are important. I would love to sweep, but realistically I see the Sox taking 2 of 3. I don't think it makes much difference if the lose the first one and then win the next two or vice versa.

If they win the first two, the tone of the board will completely change by Wed. If they lose the first one and then win the next two this place is gonna be horrible at least tonight and tommorow morning...

Lip Man 1
09-19-2005, 01:27 PM
The bottom line is this, under NO circumstances do you get swept. Period. The Sox must win at least, a game. Whatever you have to do to get a win, you do it, even if that means running through the bullpen for example.

You worry about tomorrow's game tomorrow, Wednesday's game on Wednesday and so forth.

I would love to pick up a win tonight because immediately the pressure relaxes somewhat on the Sox and goes to Cleveland's side. The Sox already know they have a win under their belt and the lead has been increased.

That's what I'm hoping for....we'll see what the reality of the situation brings.

Lip

Sad
09-19-2005, 01:34 PM
I think we'll see the usual Freddy 2-3 run first inning

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
:(:

PaleHoseGeorge
09-19-2005, 01:37 PM
Ahem... they're ALL big now. All 14 remaining games are big -- at least until somebody clinches.

I would agree ANY of the six games vs. Cleveland are "bigger" than the other eight because each represents a full game in the standings, the others only 1/2 game. But protecting that lead is only important for the division championship, not the wild card standings. The Sox hold TWO TICKETS for entry to the postseason, not one. I know it pains some of you to even think about it. Direct your complaints to MLB, not me, for setting it up this way.

In the end the Sox must have fewer losses than Cleveland -- or the next-best wild card team. How we arrive there is of no consequence. That's why they are ALL big.

kittle42
09-19-2005, 01:38 PM
In the end the Sox must have fewer losses than Cleveland -- or the next-best wild card team. How we arrive there is of no consequence. That's why they are ALL big.

I would argue that at least 7-8 of them are MUST WIN! :smile:

deck27
09-19-2005, 01:40 PM
It's a big game...hell, all the remaining ones are...Freddy himself has said, "I pitch better for the big games"...talk the talk, now walk the walk.

Can't say it better, he's been downright pedestrian lately.

Hangar18
09-19-2005, 01:44 PM

Man, im at my desk ............ and I cant even work right now,
September Baseball

Iwritecode
09-19-2005, 01:55 PM
The Sox hold TWO TICKETS for entry to the postseason, not one. I know it pains some of you to even think about it. Direct your complaints to MLB, not me, for setting it up this way.

I know the WC isn't the most popular idea in the world but I just wonder how many times the Sox could've conceivably been in the WS had it been thought up sooner?

I swear this team has more second place finishes than any other team in MLB history...

tacosalbarojas
09-19-2005, 01:56 PM
September BaseballYou and a whole lotta other Sox fans.

Lip Man 1
09-19-2005, 02:00 PM
I write code:

I did a check on your question last year...it's somewhere in the archives and I came up with six years:

If memory serves it was in 1956, 1957, 1959, 1963, 1964, 1965.

That was splitting up the league into two divisions. Like it was from 1969 through 1994.

Lip

MsSoxVixen22
09-19-2005, 02:03 PM
You and a whole lotta other Sox fans.

Yeah for sure. I'm literally on pins and needles thinking about these games. I'm gonna be nervous wreck for the next few months! :nuts: I'm wishing the day would go by faster. I'm sending any good vibes I have to the Sox. Come on guys, let's go get 'em!

Flight #24
09-19-2005, 02:04 PM
I write code:

I did a check on your question last year...it's somewhere in the archives and I came up with six years:

That was splitting up the league into two divisions. Like it was from 1969 through 1994.

Lip

That's odd, I disticntly recall feeling pi**ed off at least once in the late 80s-early 90s that we had the 2d best team in baseball, but 2d to the A's in the same division. I guess that could be too much :gulp: , I'll have to look it up.

santo=dorf
09-19-2005, 02:13 PM
I write code:

Lip

IWC was asking about the Wild Card, not splitting into 2 divisions. So you can add 1991,1990, and 1972 to the list.

Holy ****, I just noticed the entire 1991 Western Division finished .500 or better. :o:

antitwins13
09-19-2005, 02:19 PM
No game this series is must win. If we get swept, we're still up one half game on the Tribe.

rm0824
09-19-2005, 02:26 PM
Freddy stay away from "1st inning run-itis" Millwood leads the AL in ERA. As bad as our offense has been lately, it'll be tough to score on him. He's also been pretty tough on us earlier in the year. But I'll be there in person cheering them on. This is the reason we picked up Freddy last year. For games like tonight.

fquaye149
09-19-2005, 02:51 PM
No game this series is must win. If we get swept, we're still up one half game on the Tribe.

Notice I shied away from the term must-win. At best I'd call this a "better-win". As in we'd "better-win". All I mean to say is that IMO this is the first "meaningful" game we've played since about mid-July.

start wringing your hands!!!

bennyw41
09-19-2005, 02:56 PM
Do you think we'll see Timo tonight? He has good numbers against Millwood.

Baby Fisk
09-19-2005, 04:24 PM
September Baseball
Haha. I was wondering if anyone else's life has come crashing to a halt today. Productivity is plummetting! I've been counting down the hours since this morning. :redface:

toledosoxfan
09-19-2005, 05:09 PM
White Sox vs. Central: 43-17

White Sox vs. Indians: 10-3

FG/MB/JG vs. Indians: 6-0!!!

BRING IT ON!!! GO SOX!!!

StillMissOzzie
09-19-2005, 05:27 PM
At least 1 out of 3 this series is absolutely essential.

2 out of 3 would be great.

A sweep pretty much clinches the division.

I agree with all of this, cheeses. I might add that I really want the Sox to win game 1, as it:
1) Breaks the winning streak the Tribe is now enjoying
2) Snuffs out that head of steam they seem to be generating
3) Shows them theat the Sox won't just roll over and die

SMO
:gulp:

BeviBall!
09-19-2005, 05:37 PM
Haha. I was wondering if anyone else's life has come crashing to a halt today. Productivity is plummetting! I've been counting down the hours since this morning. :redface:

I haven't done a thing all day but fret over this game.

Dan H
09-19-2005, 05:54 PM
White Sox vs. Central: 43-17

White Sox vs. Indians: 10-3

FG/MB/JG vs. Indians: 6-0!!!

BRING IT ON!!! GO SOX!!!

At this point, these numbers mean nothing. Somehow the Sox have to find a way to score some runs. I don't see the Sox beating Cleveland 2-1.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-19-2005, 05:58 PM
At this point, these numbers mean nothing. Somehow the Sox have to find a way to score some runs. I don't see the Sox beating Cleveland 2-1.

Okay, so how did you reach that conclusion? The first game doesn't start for another 2 hours?

:o:

spongyfungy
09-19-2005, 06:13 PM
I will be amped for the series and I believe the entire stadium will be absolutely electric. Freddy will turn it around and I predict he will do well. The Sox offense is up in the air and even if we lose, this is not a must-win!

Last thing we need to do is make this a must win. What happens if we lose? Though it doesn't make the other two games hopeless, we can't approach the following games as "it's alright we'll get the next two" but we'll be a bit more devastated. Pacing ourselves is so important.

Iwritecode
09-19-2005, 06:32 PM
Okay, so how did you reach that conclusion? The first game doesn't start for another 2 hours?

:o:

Especially considering the ERAs for the pitchers tonight are both under 2 against their opponent. Freddy has a 1.71 vs the Indians and Millwood has a 1.29 against the Sox.

I could easily see a 2-1 game...

ode to veeck
09-19-2005, 07:45 PM
2-1, why not, it worked perfectly well the other night?!?!

(even if freddie's pitching at home in a night game)

Fuller_Schettman
09-19-2005, 08:01 PM
We have already beaten them this year 1-0 (twice) and 2-1