PDA

View Full Version : And Down the Stretch they Come............

Fenway
09-19-2005, 10:11 AM
Yesterday was a huge day for the White Sox even with the Indians winning as both Boston and New York lost giving Chicago a little more breathing room in the overall playoff picture. My best guess is the White Sox are only 5 wins from locking up a playoff spot. Winning the division is obviously the goal but even if you have to settle for the Wild Card, you get to play Game 163.

MLB is terrified that when the dust settles in 2 weeks a 4 way tie could occur between Boston, New York, Cleveland and Chicago. That would create 2 rounds of playoff games with the losers playing the next day for the Wild Card :?:

Chicago 90 wins 14 left
Cleveland 87 wins 13 left
Boston 87 wins 13 left
New York 85 wins 14 left

The west doesn't matter now, their second place team won't be a factor.

For what it is worth, Red Sox fans and Yankees fans will both be rooting hard for Chicago the next 3 nights, because it is becomming clear the second place team in the East will be going home unless the Indians derail.

Palehose13
09-19-2005, 10:41 AM
I think the Sox are going to bring the Indians back to Earth and the the second place East team will get the wildcard. It's not necessarily what I want to happen, but that is what I see happening. The real Sox aren't missing the playoffs.

Mickster
09-19-2005, 10:49 AM
I voted Boston - just cause Fenway made up the poll. :redneck

Fenway
09-19-2005, 10:50 AM
The New York tabloids are really on Jeter this morning for taking a third strike with a man on second in the 9th yesterday.

These next 2 weeks are going to be "fun"

:?:

http://www.nypost.com/img/back091905.gif (http://www.nypost.com/sports/sports.shtml)

Baby Fisk
09-19-2005, 10:51 AM
I think the Sox are going to bring the Indians back to Earth and the the second place East team will get the wildcard. It's not necessarily what I want to happen, but that is what I see happening. The real Sox aren't missing the playoffs.
Agreed. After so much sound and fury, it will be the Sox, BoSox, Angels and Wild Card Skankees in the playoffs.

wdelaney72
09-19-2005, 11:13 AM
I voted Yankees.

There's one strand of duct tape holding their pitching staff together. It's not going to hold. Then again, Boston isn't in much better shape.

Fenway
09-19-2005, 11:16 AM
I voted Yankees.

There's one strand of duct tape holding their pitching staff together. It's not going to hold. Then again, Boston isn't in much better shape.

Yankees have EIGHT left with Baltimore that could make the difference

harwar
09-19-2005, 11:22 AM
One thing is for sure.
This league is wide open for anyone who wants it.
New york and boston's pitching staffs are a total joke(especially the bullpens).
I always figured that it would be the White Sox,yankees,red sox,& angels.
I'm not so sure now.
I can see the wild card(cleveland) coming out of the AL central,with The White Sox,red sox, & angels winning their divisions.

wdelaney72
09-19-2005, 11:30 AM
Yankees have EIGHT left with Baltimore that could make the difference

Anything is possible, though. Look how well they have fared against the unstoppable force that is the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. Unfortunately, they will probably win most of those. Good point.

TDog
09-19-2005, 11:36 AM
What is amazing is that the Indians have played so well that they are now tied for the league's second-best record. The Yankees, despite all of their problems, are right in the thick of things, too. The Indians and Yankees seemed buried early in the season.

I started paying attention to the Sox in 1969 and came of age as a baseball fan in 1970, when I didn't have to worry about all this postseason stuff. I don't remember 1967, but I've read about it and think about it when people talk about easy schedules. The White Sox seemed to have the edge in a four-team winner-go-to-the-Series race because of their easy schedule, beginning in Kansas City and heading to Washington. Easy teams aren't always so easy at the end of the season.

Mr. White Sox
09-19-2005, 01:14 PM
Teams that make it:

White Sox (AL Central)
New York (AL East)
Los Angeles (AL West)
WC: Cleveland, Boston or Oakland (If Cleveland gets swept this series, Boston has a real shot at the WC once again. I just don't see Boston holding on to the division lead.)

Randar68
09-19-2005, 02:11 PM
Teams that make it:

White Sox (AL Central)
New York (AL East)
Los Angeles (AL West)
WC: Cleveland, Boston or Oakland (If Cleveland gets swept this series, Boston has a real shot at the WC once again. I just don't see Boston holding on to the division lead.)

Really going out on a limb there, huh?

FoulkeFan
09-19-2005, 02:26 PM
I voted Red Sox - sorry fenway :) - but I think it will be close between Red Sox or Yankees. I went with the BoSox because the Yankees have EIGHT games left with the Orioles. Although the Yankees do come to Fenway for the last 3 - so it'll be exciting.

CHISOXFAN13
09-19-2005, 03:02 PM
Teams that make it:

White Sox (AL Central)
New York (AL East)
Los Angeles (AL West)

Oakland doesn't have a prayer to win the WC. Five games back of Cleveland and also chasing not one, but two AL East teams at this point.

Never gonna happen.

maurice
09-19-2005, 03:36 PM
Yesterday was a huge day for the White Sox even with the Indians winning as both Boston and New York lost

Believe me when I tell you that the Sox don't give a crap what the Yanks and Red Cubs do between now and the end of the season. The Sox control their own destiny in the division, and the WC is likely to come from the AL Central.

As far as the playoffs are concerned, it's very likely that only 1 team from the AL Least will make it. The 2 top teams are very similar (good hit, no pitch), so it doesn't really matter to me which teams makes it.

SouthSide_HitMen
09-19-2005, 03:41 PM
In Chicago we say "Here they come spinning out of the turn."

Phil Georgeff - Simply the Best!

Cleveland will lose their wild card spot.

SoxSideIrish
09-19-2005, 04:01 PM
Well, my opinion of what the PPP (Probable Playoff Picture) will look like is this...

Ok, assuming the Sox do as well as we want/expect them to do agaist the Toons, that would cause them to drop quite a few games in the WC standings. I just don't see the Yankees giving up at the end of September. If the Yankees get their stuff together, I think they'll take the WC, with Boston winning the division. The Yankees are playing for theirs and Torre's jobs right now. Uncle George is quite the motivater.

So yeah, come Oct. 2nd we'll be seeing this.

AL West - Halos
AL Central - Pale Hose
AL East - Red Hoes (not a typo)
AL Wild Card - Da Bears...wait, I mean Yankees

Just for kicks though, assuming the Jnjuns take the WC, when was the last time the WC came out of the AL Central?

jdm2662
09-19-2005, 04:05 PM
Just for kicks though, assuming the Jnjuns take the WC, when was the last time the WC came out of the AL Central?

It's never happened...

Fenway
09-20-2005, 10:33 AM
The New York Times pretty well captures the White Sox plight this morning

White Sox Wanted a Season to Remember, but Not This (http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/20/sports/baseball/20whitesox.html)
By JOE LAPOINTE

So what advice may General Manager Ken Williams have for the White Sox' nervous fans?

"They've earned the right to feel a little nervous and a little anxiety," Williams said. "I feel a lot of it, too. Hang in there. Give us a little support. And please, stay off the ledges."

:?:

Chicago 90 wins 13 left
Cleveland 88 wins 12 left
Boston 87 wins 12 left
New York 86 wins 13 left

I've had better nights. David Wells turned into the 2001 version and outside of #1 draft pick Craig Hanson shining in his first MLB game, the Red Sox look cooked. The Boston Herald thinks they done.:(:

Yankees saved by Bubba Crosby who did his Aaron Boone imitation :(:

So then in the car tuned to WTAM in Cleveland.........

First of all WTAM did a great job miking The Cell, you could really feel the atmosphere. Nancy did all she could at the keyboard to coak a White Sox winner but :(:

BTW memo to Infinity (WSCR) You might want to see if Tribe announcer Tom Hamilton is available as he captured the drama perfectly. Yes he gets excited but he would keep Ed Farmer awake.

Hamilton brought home the Indians mindset. Last night it was more important for The Tribe to win because the Yankees had. Keep saying the Indians will only worry about the division when the time comes, keeping control of the Wild Card is the prime objective for now.

I fear now that in the next week it will become a battle between the Red Sox and White Sox for the Wild Card. That is the last thing I wanted :whiner:

http://news.bostonherald.com/galleries/images/329536_sports09202005.jpg

Fenway
09-20-2005, 12:01 PM
more from The Times

Despite their recent skid, the White Sox still hold the best record in the American League, 90-59, and are second in the majors to St. Louis (95-56). If the White Sox collapse and miss the playoffs, their fade would be the worst in baseball history, worse than the 1969 Cubs, the 1978 Red Sox, the 1964 Phillies (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/sports/baseball/majorleague/philadelphiaphillies/index.html?inline=nyt-org) or the 1951 Dodgers (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/sports/baseball/majorleague/losangelesdodgers/index.html?inline=nyt-org). Would people love them then?

Probably not, but they would never forget them, and somebody would take the blame. "Blame it on me," said Guillen, who added that he receives 40 or 50 e-mail messages every day from fans. Guillen said some of those messages said, "It's your fault" and "I know you're going to choke."

"A lot of people say: 'He's scared. He's insecure,' " Guillen said, referring to others' perception of him.

"No. I know baseball. The heat is on. Hopefully, we can turn it on."

oeo
09-20-2005, 12:07 PM
Yankees will take over the East and the Red Sox will fall behind the Indians for the Wild Card. No Red Sox? How awesome would that be...

Baby Fisk
09-20-2005, 12:09 PM
Yankees will take over the East and the Red Sox will fall behind the Indians for the Wild Card. No Red Sox? How awesome would that be...
At least then fenway could pretend to be on our side with a little more credibility... :rolleyes:

Fenway
09-20-2005, 12:14 PM

Go Bruins :cool:

Truth is when the Yankees stunk Boston should have had a 10 game lead ..... but

scared to death that the final week will be Boston and Chicago fighting for the WC....but hats off to Cleveland they have earned it

wassagstdu
09-20-2005, 12:41 PM
The White Sox are not collapsing, they are not folding, and they are not choking. Cleveland has had a great run, but they have 5 more games with the Sox, and they will be watching TV in October.

maurice
09-20-2005, 12:43 PM
With the Jndjans moving one game ahead of the Red Cubs, the AL Central officially has the teams with the 2 best records in the AL. In fact, the AL Central currently has 2 of the top 3 team in all of baseball.

Lip Man 1
09-20-2005, 01:15 PM
Perspective is an interesting thing. The Yankees for all their over the hill pitchers, aged hitters and bloted payroll have only four less wins right now then the Sox who had a record breaking start.

That's incredible.

Lip

cleanwsox
09-20-2005, 01:21 PM
Perspective is an interesting thing. The Yankees for all their over the hill pitchers, aged hitters and bloted payroll have only four less wins right now then the Sox who had a record breaking start.

That's incredible.

Lip

We are in the best position in the AL, what's not to love about that?

13 some games to go. Lets get it on!

Palehose13
09-20-2005, 01:27 PM
We are in the best position in the AL, what's not to love about that?

13 some games to go. Lets get it on!

Some can't handle it. Don't you know that it is inevitable that the Sox will lose 11 of their last 13 games and have the biggest collapse in baseball history!

Everyone thinks the Sox are choking, but they are playing .500 ball while the Indians have been on the run of a lifetime. If the Sox continue to play .500 ball the rest of the way like they have been doing, they will end up with 96 or 97 wins. They aren't missing the playoffs, my friends.

Brian26
09-20-2005, 01:29 PM
With the Jndjans moving one game ahead of the Red Cubs, the AL Central officially has the teams with the 2 best records in the AL. In fact, the AL Central currently has 2 of the top 3 team in all of baseball.

THAT is unbelievable. Wow.

Mr. White Sox
09-20-2005, 02:02 PM
Really going out on a limb there, huh?

fine, I'll revise it. I was trying to make fenway happy, really. :smile:

Teams that make it:

White Sox (AL Central)
New York (AL East)
Los Angeles (AL West)
WC: Cleveland

doublem23
09-20-2005, 02:24 PM
Everyone thinks the Sox are choking, but they are playing .500 ball while the Indians have been on the run of a lifetime. If the Sox continue to play .500 ball the rest of the way like they have been doing, they will end up with 96 or 97 wins. They aren't missing the playoffs, my friends.

Exactly... If we play one game under .500 the rest of the way, we still win 96 games. There's no way a 96-game winner misses the postseason.

Lip Man 1
09-20-2005, 02:38 PM
Just wondering. Fenway would probably know...didn't the Red Sox miss the post season once with 95 wins? Was it in 2002??

Lip

credefan24
09-20-2005, 03:08 PM
I noticed in that article that the writer mentioned Ozzie gets 40-50 emails a day telling him he's gonna blow it. Why not report on all the positive emails also? Stupid reporters.
Which got me thinking, does anybody have Ozzie's email? I'd love to send him a note saying that he still has a ton of fans behind him, and we support the sox all the way.

Get busy living, or get busy dying. That's god-damned right.

minastirith67
09-20-2005, 03:09 PM
Just wondering. Fenway would probably know...didn't the Red Sox miss the post season once with 95 wins? Was it in 2002??

Lip

In 2002, the Red Sox were 93-69 and 10.5 back of the Yankees who were 103-58.

TommyJohn
09-20-2005, 03:44 PM

I like reading your posts, PH 13. They are filling me with a last reserve of hope.

JohnBasedowYoda
09-20-2005, 03:48 PM
I voted Boston - just cause Fenway made up the poll. :redneck

same here. and i hate boston

Lip Man 1
09-20-2005, 03:53 PM
Crede Fan:

According to Ozzie himself out of his daily e-mails he only gets three that are positive. The others, again according to him, basically say, the Sox are going to blow it and that Ozzie is stupid as a manager. (It's hard to argue with that...at least in his love affair with Marte...)

Lip

ode to veeck
09-20-2005, 05:37 PM
I fear now that in the next week it will become a battle between the Red Sox and White Sox for the Wild Card.

Bite your tongue Fenway

ode to veeck
09-20-2005, 05:41 PM

That's incredible.

Lip

Perspective is an interesting thing, and for an admited glass half empty kind of guy, that's just the kind of blathering comparison post I would expect from the Lip. Cmon, the Sox are four up on the YankMe evil empire with 14 to play!

RowanDye
09-20-2005, 05:44 PM
I know I shouldn't watch ESPN...but it's pretty amazing how much they're crapping on us today.

Edit: They keep showing Ozuna's phantom swing after the ball was already in the catcher's mitt and he missed the hit-and-run.

Lip Man 1
09-20-2005, 07:20 PM
Ode:

My point was the Yankees were ridiculed by many yet right now only four games seperate the two. How do you account for that?

I'm not defending the Yankees, I'm just saying that despite a record setting start to the season and a brilliant first half there isn't much of a difference between the two teams. Which is amazing given the pitching staffs between the two clubs.

Lip

Palehose13
09-20-2005, 07:27 PM
I like reading your posts, PH 13. They are filling me with a last reserve of hope.

Thanks TJ. I kick, scratch, bite and do what I have to...never say die! I think I'm like that cause my dad is the eternal pessimist when it comes to the Sox (no, Lip isn't my dad). :wink:

soxwon
09-20-2005, 07:48 PM
yankees will win the east.

no boston this year ha ha

soxwon
09-20-2005, 07:49 PM
a friend at work, is a huge boston fan (orig from boston)

he insists the yanks will win the division.

ode to veeck
09-20-2005, 09:48 PM
who are the 10 trolls?

maurice
09-21-2005, 01:14 PM
I'm just saying that despite a record setting start to the season and a brilliant first half there isn't much of a difference between the [Yankees and the Sox]. Which is amazing given the pitching staffs between the two clubs.

4 games doesn't seem like a lot when you're rooting for a team that is looking down from the top (the Sox) and counting down their magic number. OTOH, it feels like a huge gap from the perspective of the teams below, especially now that the season is almost over.

It's very unlikely that the Yankees will finish with a better record than the Sox. Heck, at this point, the Yankees are likely to finish with a worse record than 2 AL Central teams. That's amazing, considering the payroll difference and notwithstanding all the media distortions.

Iwritecode
09-21-2005, 01:32 PM

That's incredible.

Lip

Four wins is a lot at the end of the season. How many teams have missed the playoffs because of 4 wins? On the other hand, the Sox only have 4 fewer wins than the Cardinals who happen to be the best team in baseball right now.

Seriously, we've been saying all year long that it's a long season and everything evens out eventually. Nobody really expected the Sox to continue to win at a .750 clip and win 120 games this year. They've just leveled off in the second half.

They've still got a chance to win 95-100 games which is pretty damn good IMHO.