PDA

View Full Version : Call to the Contreras stats people

TheOldRoman
09-19-2005, 02:35 AM
There have been several Contreras defenders on this site over the past year. I have always been a big fan of his, but I don't know that even I thought he could do for us what he has over the last two months. The JC defenders brought up stats all along this year (even in June and early July) saying that Contreras was our best or most consistant starting pitcher, based on quality starts, era, and what not.
I dont remember which posters brought up those numbers and the arguement (Crawdad?) but if it was you, just post it here. Let us revel in the awesomeness that is Jose.

sox7235
09-19-2005, 02:37 AM
Jose has also been the recipient of no run support this season. I think he would have 15 or 16 wins by now had he gotten the support in a couple of his 1st half starts.

santo=dorf
09-19-2005, 02:39 AM
I am one of the biggest Contreras supporters here going as far as saying he would "easily" win 15 games this year (Hell, he might do it, and if he got the run suport in April he'd be there.)

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/bschalle/www/Baseball%20pics/contreras%20depaula%20hazing.jpg

Fuller_Schettman
09-19-2005, 03:07 AM
Things to ponder:

Jose was 0-0 in April. In only 1 start did he give up more than 2 runs! He gave up 19 hits in 5 starts!

May was so-so (2-2). 3 quality starts (two with 1 ER). The other two starts he gave up 4 ER. Only 1 start did he have more than 1 BB.

June was his worst month. 3 more quality starts, but his other two starts he got hammered for the first time all season, against NL clubs no less!

July saw 3 more QS, but another pair of rough ones (7 ER vs. Detroit and 6 ER in a no decision vs. Balt)

8 of his 9 starts in Aug/Sept have been outstanding. His only bad outing came against Minnesota on 8/15 when he walked two and gave up four runs in the 4th inning, losing 4-2.

So overall, you are talking about 4 starts where he gave up 27 runs (35% of his sesaon total) against Arizona, the sCrubs, Detroit and Baltimore and other than that, he gives you a quality start every time out and a better chance than not over the last 2 months of being lights out dominating.

Soxzilla
09-19-2005, 06:50 AM
I've been in a firm supporter of Jose all this year. That man has just gotten it done this year.

Banix12
09-19-2005, 01:36 PM
I've been backing him since preseason.

His bad starts this year are nowhere near as bad as his bad starts last season when he would give up 8-9 runs in a three inning span. This year in his bad starts he has labored a bit and gone to high pitch counts but on most occasions has kept the team in the game even when he lacks his best stuff.

So many factors, Cooper getting his mechanics right and El Duque helping him out though I also think he has matured now that he has had more time in the league. Yeah he's older than most of the staff but coming into this season the only sox pitcher with less major league experience than Contreras was Neil Cotts.

maurice
09-19-2005, 03:21 PM
The Conteras "math" I've been posting for months looks like this: Contreras + strikes = outs. Supporting statistic: .236 career BAA.

The only 2 AL starters who currently own a lower BAA than Contreras also own a Cy Young award.

His talent is undeniable. The only issue is between his ears. When he makes up his mind to trust his "stuff" and throw strikes, he's very very good. Keep it up, Jose. We need you.

Flight #24
09-19-2005, 03:46 PM
The Conteras "math" I've been posting for months looks like this: Contreras + strikes = outs. Supporting statistic: .236 career BAA.

The only 2 AL starters who currently own a lower BAA than Contreras also own a Cy Young award.

His talent is undeniable. The only issue is between his ears. When he makes up his mind to trust his "stuff" and throw strikes, he's very very good. Keep it up, Jose. We need you.

On ESPN1000 this AM, LevineLine had an interesting comment from Buehrle. Not only did he say Contreras is the best pitcher on the Sox currently, he apparently said that if Guillen named Mark as the game #1 starter, he'd take him aside and tell him it whould be Jose.

Don't you miss Esteban Loaiza? What a waste of $6mil in salary!!!

Stroker Ace
09-19-2005, 05:34 PM
I love Contreras (although my yankmee fan roomate loves to tear him apart). If he had some run support, people would be talking about our big 4.

LETS GO JOSE!!!!!

HITMEN OF 77
09-19-2005, 06:06 PM
I said it last year when we got him and have been saying it all season long this year, he's our best pitcher. I love the whole staff but Jose has the best stuff.

ode to veeck
09-19-2005, 09:59 PM
I dunno about the other details, but the guy's like 9-2 since the break, when the rest of the staff has struggled to post the Ws

buehrle4cy05
09-19-2005, 10:52 PM
JC's always had the stuff. He finally started attacking hitters in August, and if he continues to do that until the end of this year and into next year, we got another ace on our hands.