PDA

View Full Version : Who has been to a Sox Clincher?

santo=dorf
09-18-2005, 07:54 PM
https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/bschalle/www/Baseball%20pics/soxticket1.GIF

Although that wasn't my actual seat. I was right by the LF foul pole (and Bo's HR,) but this ticket was given to us by some random Sox fan while we were waiting outside of the stadium seeing if my uncle could sneak my friend's dad in.

dpbyron
09-18-2005, 09:03 PM
In the upper deck for Bo's home run. The electricity in the place that night made the hair on my arms stand up. When Bo hit that homer the place was rocking! :bandance:

I hope that is what it is like tomorrow night!

C-Dawg
09-18-2005, 09:08 PM
I missed the 93 clincher by one day - they had a double-header against Texas on Sunday 9-26-93 (the Saturday game was rained out) and if the Sox had won both games, they would have clinched. Jason Bere won the first game, don't remember who took the loss in the second.

So that's my close encounter with a clincher! :cool:

mantis1212
09-18-2005, 09:22 PM
I went to the '93 clincher with my dad. I actually picked out the game maybe 2-3 weeks in advance guessing it would be the game- and I was right!

Realist
09-18-2005, 09:28 PM
My brother and I took our late mom to the clincher in '93. She deserves all the credit/blame for us being huge Sox fans. It's coming up on 3 years now that she's been gone.

Hopefully she can pull a couple of strings with "The Big Guy" and get us a sweep against the Indians. :wink:

TheOldRoman
09-18-2005, 09:28 PM
I havent even seen a clincher on TV before.
I wasn't really into baseball yet int 93, and I was working on that fateful Sunday night in 2000. Even if I have to call off of work I will make sure I am watching the Sox clinch this year.

Johnny Mostil
09-18-2005, 09:31 PM
I missed the 93 clincher by one day - they had a double-header against Texas on Sunday 9-26-93 (the Saturday game was rained out) and if the Sox had won both games, they would have clinched. Jason Bere won the first game, don't remember who took the loss in the second.

Same here. Alex Fernandez took the loss in the 3-2 nightcap.

I did see the '83 clincher.

chisoxmike
09-18-2005, 09:38 PM
Ha, here's a story...

My dad took my brother and I to a game against the Tigers at home in 1993, a week before the clincher. My dad was going to buy us tickets for another game the following week. We went to the ticket window during the game and was going to buy tickets for the Monday night clincher against Seattle. He called my Mom when the guy at the ticket window said he had 3 in the upper deck for that night. He told my mom that they could possibly win the division that night and he could get 3 tix but he wouldn't be able to take us, my mom would have to. My mom said no, she didn't want to sit in the upper deck and so he didn't get the tickets. Low and behold, we never went. The rest is history.

I was working the Sunday afternoon in 2000.

RadioheadRocks
09-18-2005, 09:39 PM
Was at the '93 clincher with my aunt in section 157. She thought Bo's ball would go foul, I thought the left fielder would have a play on it, yet it kept carrying and carrying and carrying and...

soxjim
09-18-2005, 10:34 PM
I was at the 2000 clincher. After the walk off homer Twin fans were cheering. later on the SOX players celebrated with the fans. a young twin fan asked his dad "why are the sox happy they lost their no good"? The Father said back to his son "they just won the division." I remember going home cars were beeping at each other. It was a great time.

Lorenzo Barcelo
09-18-2005, 10:41 PM
I was in the tenth row in the bleachers right in front of Bo's Hr. I have never been to a game where the crowd was so electric. On a side note, I just want to see PK run the bases with a beer again. That would really make my day.:cool:

Palehose13
09-18-2005, 10:51 PM
I was at the '93 clincher. I was in college at St. Joe's in Renesselaer, IN, figured out the week they would clinch about a month ahead of time and bought 2 UD tickets for the whole week. I brought someone different each day, but brought my dad on the clincher night. When my dad saw that they had blocked off the LD (not typical back then), he flashed his badge and we did standing room only all night. I was standing next to Nancy's Cinderblock office when Ellis caught the final out. My dad ran into the gift shop and bought us 1993 AL West divison champs hats. After the celebrating we hung out by the palyers lot and I got Ellis to sign my new hat. Good times. My dad is coming with me Sunday. I was hoping to share another clincher with him.

StillMissOzzie
09-19-2005, 12:05 AM
In 1959 I was still in diapers.
In 1983, I was away on my honeymoon. No way they were gonna blow that huge lead, it was just a matter of when.
But 1993, while my dear mom watched MY son still in diapers (only 8 mos. old), we were in the LF lower deck and we saw Bo's moon shot. What an electric night!
In 2000, I was not able to make the road trip to the Hump.
In 2005...well, I got tix for this Thurs and Fri, thinking they might be clinchers, now I just gotta pull that they can hang on to this lead.

SMO
:gulp:

Bluegrass1SOXFAN
09-19-2005, 12:44 AM

I'm in the same boat here! I had just graduated Highschool, and i had 2 tickets to the Saturday DH (i got for a graduation present back in May). My friend had never even been to a MLB game. I remember how he and i were both so amazed how electric the atmosphere was. EVERYONE (all 45,000 +) were waving their "White SOCKS" in the air throughout both games, and their were Police and security everywhere around the field. Too bad we couldn't sneak across a couple of runs in the 9th to clinch that night, but it was still my most memorable WHITE SOX experience to date.

hose
09-19-2005, 06:22 AM
I drove up to Minnesota in 2000, it was great!!!!

The Twins had some type of fantasy camp for old timers after the game and they were pissed off at having to delay it because of all the Sox hoot"n"anney going on.

soxfan26
09-19-2005, 07:22 AM
I was at Comiskey on September 16, 1983 with my Dad & my brother. I was only 7, but I remember seeing Harold hit one deep.

We watched Julio cross the plate the next night at home.

soxgirl617
09-19-2005, 09:13 AM
I was there in '93, in section 114 (prior season ticket location). I clearly remember thinking that Bo's shot would never come down....and hoping that it wouldn't come down in left field when it did! Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember it as clearing the fence by what looked like only a few feet.

It was SO exciting!