PDA

View Full Version : Monday's Weather Forecast

Brian26
09-18-2005, 08:37 PM
Looks like we're going to get some rain tomorrow morning and early afternoon, some of it may be severe. Will it be cleared out before the evening? Let's hope so.

Lip Man 1
09-18-2005, 08:53 PM
The heavier and damper the air the better. Comiskey Park needs to play like April / May as opposed to June / August.

When balls aren't flying out that favors the Sox pitching staff.

Lip

jfinsocal
09-18-2005, 08:59 PM
Not to sound like the anal scientist but humid air offers less wind resistance than dry air. Water vapor has a molar mass of 18 g/mol and air (mostly nitrogen) is about 29 g/mol so humid air is "lighter". If it is raining or there is fog this argument obviously doesn't apply.

Frankfan4life
09-18-2005, 09:06 PM
The good news is, it will be warm Monday, 82 degrees. Of course the temp will drop signifcantly by evening, 58 degrees. So, those going to tomorrow's game should bring a sweater or light jacket.

Tuesday is supposed to be the coolest day, a high of 78, but sunny skies.

I'm going Wednesday and the weather looks great, 82 and partly sunny.

ilsox7
09-18-2005, 09:10 PM
The good news is, it will be warm Monday, 82 degrees. Of course the temp will drop signifcantly by evening, 58 degrees. So, those going to tomorrow's game should bring a sweater or light jacket.

Tuesday is supposed to be the coolest day, a high of 78, but sunny skies.

I'm going Wednesday and the weather looks great, 82 and partly sunny.

This will be the first fall in a long while that I will be hoping for 40 degree nights in Chicago until the World Series is over.

Frankfan4life
09-18-2005, 09:17 PM
This will be the first fall in a long while that I will be hoping for 40 degree nights in Chicago until the World Series is over.I want the place to be packed. I haven't checked lately, but I don't think we have a sell-out for the three Cleveland dates. Mild weather will bring a bigger walk-up. The Sox will have to win regardless of or in spite of the weather.

ilsox7
09-18-2005, 09:19 PM
I want the place to be packed. I haven't checked lately, but I don't think we have a sell-out for the three Cleveland dates. Mild weather will bring a bigger walk-up. The Sox will have to win regardless of or in spite of the weather.

Our team is better built for cold weather. Any advantage we can get, I want. I don't give a damn how many people witness the Sox winning.

LuvSox
09-18-2005, 09:23 PM
I want the place to be packed. I haven't checked lately, but I don't think we have a sell-out for the three Cleveland dates. Mild weather will bring a bigger walk-up. The Sox will have to win regardless of or in spite of the weather.

I'm looking forward to Tuesday's game.

I owe ilSox7 a :gulp:.

:)

Frankfan4life
09-18-2005, 09:24 PM
Our team is better built for cold weather. Any advantage we can get, I want. I don't give a damn how many people witness the Sox winning.We can't do anything about the weather. A large crowd, in my opinon, is important under the circumstances. The attendance is something we, as fans, do have in our power to control.

ilsox7
09-18-2005, 09:25 PM
I had to settle for nose-bleeders around 5pm tonight for Tuesday's game, seemed to be a lot of those left.

I'd tread lightly here...

I hope we see some record cold fronts the next several weeks though. And I would not be surprised as it was unusually hot a week ago.

Frankfan4life
09-18-2005, 09:29 PM
I had to settle for nose-bleeders around 5pm tonight for Tuesday's game, seemed to be a lot of those left.I already heard Kruk commenting today on BBT about the possibility of Sox fans not showing up for the Cleveland series. Why our attendance is more of an issue than any other team's is beyond me. But, nevertheless, that's something the national media will certainly be paying close attention to during this series.

Frankfan4life
09-18-2005, 09:46 PM
I'd tread lightly here...

I hope we see some record cold fronts the next several weeks though. And I would not be surprised as it was unusually hot a week ago.Hate to burst your bubble, but the long-range forecast is calling for mild temps, mid to upper 70's and low 80's. Like I said, the Sox can't depend on the weather to help them. I would hate for that to be the case anyway.

BeviBall!
09-18-2005, 09:49 PM
Scattered T-Storms in the AM. Windy and 60s by game time.

ilsox7
09-18-2005, 09:51 PM
Hate to burst your bubble, but the long-range forecast is calling for mild temps, mid to upper 70's and low 80's. Like I said, the Sox can't depend on the weather to help them. I would hate for that to be the case anyway.

I never said they need to depend on weather to help them. I simply said that cold weather would be a slight advantage to the Sox and I want every advantage I can get over the next 5+ weeks.

Frankfan4life
09-18-2005, 10:03 PM
I never said they need to depend on weather to help them. I simply said that cold weather would be a slight advantage to the Sox and I want every advantage I can get over the next 5+ weeks.Sorry, I don't get the weather connection. Tell me why you think the Sox play better when it is 40 degrees as opposed to 75 degrees? And, which of their opponents favor hot, warm, cool or cold weather? It's going to be great baseball weather for the series and I don't see how either team has an advantage or disadvantage when the temps are mild. This reminds me of "Bear Weather." That proved to be a fantasy.

ilsox7
09-18-2005, 10:10 PM
Sorry, I don't get the weather connection. Tell me why you think the Sox play better when it is 40 degrees as opposed to 75 degrees? And, which of their opponents favor hot, warm, cool or cold weather? It's going to be great baseball weather for the series and I don't see how either team has an advantage or disadvantage when the temps are mild. This reminds me of "Bear Weather." That proved to be a fantasy.

I am going based on the common (though I guess it could be false) adage that it is tougher to hit in cold weather than in warm weather. Pitchers generally have an advantage. Also, I look to the Sox record in April and May when the weather was decidedly colder than the summer months.

Granted, it is possible that there is nothing to the general belief that on average, most hitters hit better during warm weather, but having played the game some myself and having seen a lot of baseball, I'd say there is generally an advantage to pitching in cold weather.

See as the Sox are built on pitching and potential opponents such as the Yankees and Red Sox are built on hitting, the weather could play an equalizing factor for the Sox. Again, it's a slight advantage, but an advantage none the less, IMO.

Frankfan4life
09-18-2005, 10:33 PM
I am going based on the common (though I guess it could be false) adage that it is tougher to hit in cold weather than in warm weather. Pitchers generally have an advantage. Also, I look to the Sox record in April and May when the weather was decidedly colder than the summer months.

Granted, it is possible that there is nothing to the general belief that on average, most hitters hit better during warm weather, but having played the game some myself and having seen a lot of baseball, I'd say there is generally an advantage to pitching in cold weather.

See as the Sox are built on pitching and potential opponents such as the Yankees and Red Sox are built on hitting, the weather could play an equalizing factor for the Sox. Again, it's a slight advantage, but an advantage none the less, IMO.Nevertheless, it seems to me that in cold weather, both pitchers would have a similar advantage, not just the Sox pitchers, and since the Sox hitters are not putting up a lot of runs, I'm not sure if the Sox would really have an advantage.

Lip Man 1
09-18-2005, 11:59 PM
The Sox should be used to games where they only score 2 or 3 runs...are Cleveland?

Lip

ilsox7
09-19-2005, 12:14 AM
The Sox should be used to games where they only score 2 or 3 runs...are Cleveland?

Lip

That's pretty much my point. Though Cleveland has allowed very few runs this year. But against many of our potential opponents, the weather may help neutralize their strength while strengthening ours even more, if that makes sense.

RallyBowl
09-19-2005, 12:25 AM
Looks like we're going to get some rain tomorrow morning and early afternoon, some of it may be severe. Will it be cleared out before the evening? Let's hope so.

:darkclouds:

I'm not sure I like the tone of your post.

oharewx
09-19-2005, 01:40 AM
Not to sound like the anal scientist but humid air offers less wind resistance than dry air. Water vapor has a molar mass of 18 g/mol and air (mostly nitrogen) is about 29 g/mol so humid air is "lighter". If it is raining or there is fog this argument obviously doesn't apply.

so is there less nitrogen in the air when there is higher humidity? doesn't the water vapor just add to the mass of the air increasing the wind resistance?

DonkeyKongerko
09-19-2005, 02:01 AM
Just think of the weather man. Low pressure systems generally imply bad weather and high humidity. Low humidity in turn means higher air pressure and more resistance to fly balls.