PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Pitching Rotation

chisoxfanatic
09-18-2005, 04:20 PM
It's a given that El Duque doesn't deserve to be in the rotation come the playoff time. We don't go with a five-man rotation, so McCarthy will probably be with him in the bullpen. How would you order the rotation (you must consider how Contreras has been the past couple of months).

I'd go with the following:

Buehrle (he'll get his true composure back before October)
Contreras (you've gotta go with the hot hand)
Garland (he's had only a few bad outings all year and would have more wins with more run support)
Garcia (has had composure problems from time-to-time and seems to be the one out of these four who gives up a "big inning"--mostly the first or second--most often)

SoxFan76
09-18-2005, 04:24 PM
I say play to the pitchers strengths. Have Freddy pitch on the road or during the day as much as you can, stuff like that. And if someone is struggling, pull them out! Put in El Duque or McCarthy.

RallyBowl
09-18-2005, 04:24 PM
Good thinking. My rotation would probably look the same.:thumbsup:

soxjim
09-18-2005, 04:26 PM
I would want Mark to pitch game 1 and game 5 if necessary in the ALDS. Also Jose has the hot hand right now he would pitch game 2. Freddy in game 3 (he pitches better on the road) and big Jon in game 4.

RMSoxFan
09-18-2005, 04:42 PM
I don't even know if we need El Duque on the playoff roster. I realize that this is a big statement, given his previous success, but all that goes out the window now. He used to be good in the playoffs, but he's been awful lately and there's no reason to believe he's going to do a 180 just because it's October. Also, he seems poorly adapted for bullpen work:

Guillen indicated that Hernandez simply would be skipped, as opposed to switching roles with McCarthy, because his extensive pre\game routine would not be conducive to relief work. Hernandez could return next Tuesday in Detroit or be available for the regular-season finale in Cleveland. Source: MLB.com Sox website

Whitesox05
09-18-2005, 05:44 PM
It's a given that El Duque doesn't deserve to be in the rotation come the playoff time. We don't go with a five-man rotation, so McCarthy will probably be with him in the bullpen. How would you order the rotation (you must consider how Contreras has been the past couple of months).

I'd go with the following:

Buehrle (he'll get his true composure back before October)
Contreras (you've gotta go with the hot hand)
Garland (he's had only a few bad outings all year and would have more wins with more run support)
Garcia (has had composure problems from time-to-time and seems to be the one out of these four who gives up a "big inning"--mostly the first or second--most often)

Buehrle is not our #1. That is the wrong move to make. Contreras is our #1.

delben91
09-18-2005, 06:24 PM
I think it looks decent.

But I still say make the playoffs first, then worry about the rotation.

Fuller_Schettman
09-18-2005, 07:29 PM
As of today, I would say

ALDS
Game 1: Contreras
Game 2: Garland
Game 3: Garcia
Game 4: Buehrle
Game 5: Contreras

If we win the first two at home, i like the idea of going with Freddy on the road in Game 3. If he loses, we come back with MB to avoid a Game 5. If Garcia wins, then Buehrle starts the ALCS. If we lose one of the first two, I would flip Freddy and Mark.

ALCS
Game 1: Garland
Game 2: Buehrle
Game 3: Garcia
Game 4: Contreras

Lip Man 1
09-18-2005, 07:39 PM
I think this is putting the cart before the horse but here goes...

#1 Buehrle (He's earned that right because of his career numbers)
#2 Contreras (He's the hottest pitcher.. you try to give yourself protection against being down two games before you hit the road)
#3 Garland
#4 Garcia (He has the most experience, game four could be a game needed to either clinch the first series or stave off elimination. I wouldn't want Garland in this slot)

Lip

Fuller_Schettman
09-18-2005, 07:49 PM
I think this is putting the cart before the horse but here goes...

#1 Buehrle (He's earned that right because of his career numbers)

Lip

That sounds like a justification Ozzie would make so he wouldn't "offend" MB.

I think you start your hottest pitcher, and no one is hotter than JC.

Lip Man 1
09-18-2005, 11:01 PM
True... of course you can counter that by saying 'look at his post season numbers...' Yikes!

Lip

Ol' No. 2
09-18-2005, 11:04 PM
That sounds like a justification Ozzie would make so he wouldn't "offend" MB.

I think you start your hottest pitcher, and no one is hotter than JC.So if Contreras loses his next game, then I guess he goes to the back of the rotation? You don't base your playoff rotation on the last start or last few starts. You base it on who's been consistent and who gives you the best chance to win. I think it depends somewhat on who they play. If they're playing the Yankees, I'd rather have Contreras pitching on the road. But I can't see how you could possibly not pitch Buehrle first.

gosox3072
09-18-2005, 11:56 PM
Buerhle is the ace of this team and has been since day one....he is our game 1 starter without any doubts. I agree with contraras being #2 unless something drastic happens in the next 2 weeks

ChiSoxRowand
09-19-2005, 12:19 AM
1. Garland

2. Contreras

3. Buehrle

4. Garcia

Fuller_Schettman
09-19-2005, 01:52 AM
So if Contreras loses his next game, then I guess he goes to the back of the rotation? You don't base your playoff rotation on the last start or last few starts. You base it on who's been consistent and who gives you the best chance to win. I think it depends somewhat on who they play. If they're playing the Yankees, I'd rather have Contreras pitching on the road. But I can't see how you could possibly not pitch Buehrle first.

Jose has been lights out since the ASB. 9-2 to be exact, with a 3.23 ERA. Buehrle meanwhile has struggled against the likes of LAA & BOS (twice) and is 5-5 4.28 in the same timeframe.

Who would you feel more comfortable starting game 1 against the Angels or Yankees or Red Sox?

Yorke97
09-19-2005, 06:43 AM
I can't see putting Beuhrle starting game 1 simply b/c of his career numbers. That's like saying we HAVE to start hernandez b/c of his playoff record. The fact is that those playoff and career numbers don't matter if you are sucking going into the postseason. You have to go with the hot hand b/c 3 bad games could mean elimination, and that without a doubt means that Contreras should start.

Dan H
09-19-2005, 06:50 AM
I think it looks decent.

But I still say make the playoffs first, then worry about the rotation.

I'm with you. The Sox haven't won anything yet. Win three out of the next four, and then I will start thinking about the post season.