PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't this fun?

downstairs
09-18-2005, 03:10 PM
I admit I am a dark cloud, personally... I just happen to be awfuly paranoid and pessemistic in everything.

But... as a fan... I am noticing its a heck of a lot more fun to be up 3.5 games rather than being 12-15 games up, clinching early, and worrying about a 3-game-and-out first round (which can happen no matter how many regular season wins you have).

I'm going to all the Cleveland and Minnesota games... and now they're going to be rockin'. If we were ahead by 15 games, lets face it... these games would be completely boring.

downstairs
09-18-2005, 03:12 PM
-

munchman33
09-18-2005, 03:14 PM
No, it's definately more fun to be up a ton of games than a few and reeling.

Case and point: who looks happier, us or Cards fans.

downstairs
09-18-2005, 03:15 PM

I said fun, not happy.

Also... do you think the Cards have a better chance in the postseason than us?

Unregistered
09-18-2005, 03:16 PM
Yeah, I'm sure right about now the Sox would much rather be playing "meaningless" games than fighting for their playoff lives after having such a comfortable lead.

I know I would...

RallyBowl
09-18-2005, 03:18 PM

Yeah, but who's gonna be more ready to play- the guys who have been playing or the guys who have been phoning it in for 2 weeks- come the playoffs. You can make a case for either, but the recent trend is when a team is forced to play well to make it into the show, they are getting better results (wild cards winning WS last 3 years).

downstairs
09-18-2005, 03:21 PM
Yeah, but who's gonna be more ready to play- the guys who have been playing or the guys who have been phoning it in for 2 weeks- come the playoffs. You can make a case for either, but the recent trend is when a team is forced to play well to make it into the show, they are getting better results (wild cards winning WS last 3 years).

Yup.

I'm kind of happy for this.

These are the first "meaningful" games. The first time this team can use the term "must win."

Why not practice "must winning" now... than have some birth by fire come game 1 of the ALDS?

downstairs
09-18-2005, 03:22 PM
Yeah, I'm sure right about now the Sox would much rather be playing "meaningless" games than fighting for their playoff lives after having such a comfortable lead.

I know I would...

"Much rather" and "Best for the team" are two different things.

I'd "much rather" fall into 10 million dollars and not have to work. But I didn't, and I do. That's probably a better thing for me.

munchman33
09-18-2005, 04:20 PM

Yeah, clinching real early sure did stop St. Louis last year from reaching the World Series.

kittle42
09-18-2005, 04:46 PM
Man, several threads right now deserve this, so here goes....

:threadsucks

SoxFan76
09-18-2005, 04:47 PM
I completely agree. This is a lot of fun. EVERY game is do or die. EVERY game matters. When you're up 18 games you can afford to lose 2 or 3 in a row every once in awhile. There is no room to let up now though. This is what competitive athletics is all about.

Dan H
09-18-2005, 05:05 PM
This would be much more fun, if the Sox offense picked it up a couple notches. My main worry as the season progressed was that the offense would go totally to sleep. I am elated with the win to take the Twins series but I would be much happier if the Sox scored five or six runs. Cleveland is hitting the hell out of the ball. The Sox will need more than two runs a game if they want to take two out of three. If the offense should finally came back to life, there would be no worries about a collapse. Yet, despite the anxiety, it has been fun this year. If the team is playing meaningful games in September, that's fun. Let's hope they can make the last three games of the year meaningless.

Jjav829
09-18-2005, 05:20 PM
I admit I am a dark cloud, personally... I just happen to be awfuly paranoid and pessemistic in everything.

But... as a fan... I am noticing its a heck of a lot more fun to be up 3.5 games rather than being 12-15 games up, clinching early, and worrying about a 3-game-and-out first round (which can happen no matter how many regular season wins you have).

I'm going to all the Cleveland and Minnesota games... and now they're going to be rockin'. If we were ahead by 15 games, lets face it... these games would be completely boring.

Oh yeah, this is just a blast. I have an idea. Let's make this even more fun and blow the lead, then see if we can get it back. I mean what's more fun than trailing and trying to catch the team in front of you. We don't need no stinking 15 game lead. :rolleyes:

RallyBowl
09-18-2005, 05:21 PM
Yeah, clinching real early sure did stop St. Louis last year from reaching the World Series.

Do you want to get to the World Series, or WIN it? :rolleyes:

kittle42
09-18-2005, 05:39 PM
Do you want to get to the World Series, or WIN it? :rolleyes:

And you're saying that St. Louis clinching early somehow affected them in the WS but not in the rest of the playoffs?

Yeah, that's a solid theory.

jerry myers
09-18-2005, 05:42 PM
i dont agree. would it still be fun if we dont make it! theirs no for sure thing no matter what. i would of rather of walked in like the cardinals instead of playing with fire. but here we are so lets go sox.

cheeses_h_rice
09-18-2005, 05:46 PM
Almost having a heart attack several times a week is NOT fun.

Interesting? Certainly. But having to endure the local and national media tracking your team's progress as potentially being the biggest choke ever in MLB history while the team that's chasing yours just doesn't ****ing lose is a far cry from what I would call fun.

It'll be fun again when the magic number turns to zero.

jerry myers
09-18-2005, 05:55 PM
totally agree. not good for my health.

jerry myers
09-18-2005, 05:56 PM
if they want us at the cell in 2006 they shouldnt kill us off.

SoxEd
09-18-2005, 07:39 PM
IMO the current tension that we as fans are all feeling will just make the winning all the sweeter (provided we win it, of course).

That's how the Cricket series against Australia (World Champions for the last 10+ years) finally panned out here last week.

It was Tooth and Nail, right down to the wire - and when we finally won, the combination of euphoric joy and palpable relief was truly intoxicating.

4th Gen. Sox Fan
09-18-2005, 07:39 PM
I agree that the way they've been playing and how the Indians forgot to lose as of late isn't good for our health and giving the media so much fodder, but these final 14 games are played under a playoff like atmosphere, maybe not against Detroit, but still, If the Sox can win under those circumstances than there's no telling what they could do in the actual playoffs. So as much as it is nerve wracking, it sure is fun

Lip Man 1
09-18-2005, 08:36 PM
Rally:

I'd be very happy just getting to a World Series. Winning it would be gravy. I don't know what it's like to see the Sox in the series, I only have been a fan for 45 years.

Lip

Jurr
09-18-2005, 08:44 PM
I'm with Lip. It's all about getting there. Who cares how or by what circumstances. Yes, this is very exciting. You judge an entire body of work...the entire season. Oh...you had a big lead? Oh...you lost a good bit of that lead? Who cares????? This thing is all about getting to baseball in October.

The Sox are in a position to get to the playoffs, and then all bets are off.

On that note, I'm going to the office tomorrow, I'm going to put in my time, and then I'm coming home, putting on some music to get me ready, and then it's going to be an EXCITING night of ball tomorrow. The playoffs have started early, and you can't beat it.
People, get on your computers, play some of the fight songs, get your good vibes, and then enjoy a glimpse of games with magnitude. Games that are very much like those you'll be watching in October. See if you can handle it. I know I'm stoked.

jehosaphat
09-18-2005, 08:52 PM
If I were an Indian fan it would be fun. You're out of it on August 1 and now find yourself charging toward the finishing line with a young team.

For a Sox fan, as Cheeses said, seeing your team fold is painful, not giddy fun. Yes, games are now more interesting than if we had it clinched, but more fun? Not for me.

However, if they can hold on and win the division, all will be forgotten - the late season swoon will be a footnote. It won't matter. It is unusual for a team not to slump at some point during the course of a 162 game season. Having our slump at the end stinks, but it won't matter if we hang on. All that will matter will be how well we do in the playoffs.

Although there a lots of things that need to come together for us to win in the playoffs, the biggest key is getting back to dominating starting pitching. If Garcia and Burhlee get going, and Garland and Jose can perform, we'll make noise.

MarySwiss
09-18-2005, 08:56 PM
Almost having a heart attack several times a week is NOT fun. Interesting? Certainly. But having to endure the local and national media tracking your team's progress as potentially being the biggest choke ever in MLB history while the team that's chasing yours just doesn't ****ing lose is a far cry from what I would call fun. It'll be fun again when the magic number turns to zero.

Cheeses, I agree with almost everything you said. But one of the things that really freaks me out is this; when I look at what we're seeing and hearing from the local and national media, it really doesn't surprise me in the least. I mean, it's not like we've ever gotten positive press. Or ever will.

Because I truly believe we could win the division, sweep the ALDS, the ALCS, and the World Series, and some mediot is going to point out that our pitchers didn't pitch ONE SINGLE NO-HITTER this year. Or some similar tripe.

And ya know what? As long as we win, I couldn't give less of a crap what the mediots say. :gulp:

soxwon
09-18-2005, 08:59 PM

sox will clinch in detroit next week.

Jurr
09-18-2005, 09:06 PM
The best things don't come easy, and I think the adversity makes everything that much sweeter.

Lip Man 1
09-18-2005, 10:04 PM
Jurr says: "I think the adversity makes everything that much sweeter."

Tell that to rich folks.

Lip

jdm2662
09-18-2005, 10:23 PM
Fun? In the past six weeks, I've thrown several tirades, almost had about ten heart attacks, and watched 11.5 games lost in the standings in six weeks, 6 in the past two weeks. It's been a blast!

TornLabrum
09-18-2005, 10:24 PM
Fun? In the past six weeks, I've thrown several tirades, almost had about ten heart attacks, and watched 11.5 games lost in the standings in six weeks, 6 in the past two weeks. It's been a blast!

Actually when you get right down to it, it's exactly the stuff that you're talking about that, after the fact, can be the most fun when you're a fan...at least if you end up winning everything.

TDog
09-18-2005, 11:19 PM
1977 was fun -- while it lasted. People still think of 1977 as fun -- didn't someone publish a book about how much fun it was to be at Comiskey in 1977? -- but it was over by the time my fall semester started in college, despite a 6.5-game lead in late July. I'll always remember 2005 as fun, even if it doesn't last long enough for the Sox to enjoy home-field advantage in the World Series. 2000 was fun, even though I didn't have much fun at those two home losses to Seattle.

Baseball would always be fun if the Sox were always up 3.5 with 2 weeks to go, facing their challenger in two 3-game series. This is what baseball is all about. If these seasons came more frequently that once every five years, the chances of getting to a World Series would be enhanced.

I'm confident and having fun.