PDA

View Full Version : Contrasting announcers

DumpJerry
09-18-2005, 02:24 PM
I'm flipping between the Sox game and the Bears' right now. It's dreadful watching the Sox game. Why? Hawk and DJ sound like two old retirees in Florida talking about their grandkids while the Bears game announcers (who are neutral since they are Fox and not Bears announcers) have life and vibrancy in their voices. Makes the Bears game more exciting.

Oh for Wilsy to be doing Sox games on TV......

MarySwiss
09-18-2005, 02:42 PM
I don't know if I completely agree with you, Dump. DJ sounds like he's pretty angry about this whole pennant race thing.

He's angry, I'm angry.... Be nice if the PLAYERS got a little angry!

antitwins13
09-18-2005, 02:44 PM
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:qg9WzvWN9S8J:personales.ciudad.com.ar/golem85/thread%2520sucks.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://personales.ciudad.com.ar/golem85/thread%2520sucks.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.clanimperium.com.ar/foro/showthread.php%3Fgoto%3Dnewpost%26t%3D47073&h=360&w=360&sz=30&tbnid=qg9WzvWN9S8J:&tbnh=117&tbnw=117&hl=en&start=4&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dthis%2Bthread%2Bsucks%26svnum%3D10%26 hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa%3DN)Hawk and DJ till dealth

SoxFan76
09-18-2005, 02:47 PM
I disagree. The sports are completely different. Baseball is a more low key sport, and announcers are generally more low key. And...it's the 3rd inning. There isn't any drama right now.

I_Liked_Manuel
09-18-2005, 02:55 PM
i'm starting to feel this way about hawk and dj too. they sound like they're telling you a bedtime story

StockdaleForVeep
09-18-2005, 03:04 PM
You cannot compare the sports, baseball does not have constant action going.

Thats like saying hawk and dj suck compared to a spanish soccer announcer. Baseball has too many lull points to be compared to football or other

Tell me what announcers in baseball fit your term of exiciting like a football game

Soxmissy
09-18-2005, 03:12 PM
I was watching and they were arguing! Dj says the Sox are feeling
pressured and thinking Oh no, here come the Indians and Hawk disagreed
saying not everyone takes that type of attitude. DJ said you wouldn't be human if you didn't and they argued back and forth.
I'm nervous about this game as it is so I switched over to Farmer and Rooney. They weren't arguing but you can hear the sense of urgency in
their voices. This is just God awful to listen to period!:(:

Blancos Medias
09-18-2005, 04:30 PM
They are embarassing to listen to. Today during this nailbiter, they're talking about what a good game Hernandez had yesterday, "except for one inning".
One inning in which he gave up 4 runs, that's all.

For a major league city, the third largest media market if I'm not mistaken, to have such minor league announcers on tv is an embarassment.

Why not a decent announcer with a history with the team, like McDowell, Ventura, or Torborg? I realize Jackson had a cup of coffee with the Sox, but he also played for about 20 other teams, including who knows how many Japanese teams. Not much history there. Or talent.

They must work cheap, is all I can say.

lumpyspun
09-18-2005, 04:34 PM
As an out of towner that catches the games on the package, I think Hawk and DJ are great. They clearly love the Sox. And if you listen to them carefully they are hillarious. For instance, the camera showed a little kid in the stands today and DJ goes something like, "that kid looks like Little Bow Wow." That statement is funny in many ways...for one, you know hawk has no idea who Little Bow Wow is...

In a game that was giving me an ulcer it's nice to hear them crack stupid jokes every once in a while.

kittle42
09-18-2005, 04:52 PM
Yay! Another "Do Hawk and Jackson suck?" thread!

DickAllen72
09-18-2005, 05:01 PM
I enjoy Harrrelson's "Hawkisms" (He Gawn, Stretch! I Luvvv That Duck, etc.) but as the season wears on, Hawk wears thin. He seems like he thinks he knows everything. When things are going well, Hawk is funny, but lately I can't stand listening to him. He's either making excuses, whining, or dissing players he doesn't like (Gload) and making excuses for the ones he does like.

DJ comes across as a real nice guy. He doesn'r seem to work well with Hawk, but when he's on Fox he does a very good job as a color guy.

On radio, it's a similar situation--when things are going great, Farmer doing the color is OK, but when things are going bad Farmer is annoying as heck. Farmer's always bad doing play by play.

You would think a team playing in the Chicago market could do better where announcers are concerned. Oh, for the days of Harry and Jimmy!

jerry myers
09-18-2005, 05:35 PM
im thinking after ozzys done managing 10 15 years he can be our voice. anyone agree? of course with a little work on his english.

kittle42
09-18-2005, 05:36 PM
im thinking after ozzys done managing 10 15 years he can be our voice. anyone agree? of course with a little work on his english.

Was this supposed to be in teal?

SoxFan76
09-18-2005, 05:40 PM
Hawk's enthusiasm and geniune love for the Sox is what makes me a Ken Harrelson fan. He has his fair share of critics, but I think Hawk makes those late inning heroics that much better because of his calls.

Lip Man 1
09-18-2005, 08:42 PM
Both Ventura and McDowell have already notified the Sox that they aren't interested in auditioning for the radio position.

Lip

jehosaphat
09-18-2005, 09:27 PM
Oh, for the days of Harry and Jimmy!

Don't kid yourself, Jimmy would have gone over the edge with this swoon. He wouldn't have a good word to say about anyone in CWS uniform and the games in KC with all the baserunning goofs - I can see an image Jimmy literally banging his head against the wall.

As for Harry, he'd cheer us up and give us all some heart.

jehosaphat
09-18-2005, 09:41 PM
I was watching and they were arguing! Dj says the Sox are feeling
pressured and thinking Oh no, here come the Indians and Hawk disagreed
saying not everyone takes that type of attitude. DJ said you wouldn't be human if you didn't and they argued back and forth.
I'm nervous about this game as it is so I switched over to Farmer and Rooney. They weren't arguing but you can hear the sense of urgency in
their voices. This is just God awful to listen to period!:(:

I'm a little warped, but I thought their exchange was so pathetic it was funny. DJ was babbling - you captured his point much better than he said it. Then, all of a sudden, Hawk seemed to get offended - sort of a "well DJ, if the Sox players are a bunch of chumps like you, then we're doomed" type of response, and the two of them titted for tatted like a couple of old ladies at a quilting circle until the end of hte inning.

By the way, I don't really mind Hawk and DJ, but I like "homers".

DickAllen72
09-18-2005, 09:56 PM
Don't kid yourself, Jimmy would have gone over the edge with this swoon. He wouldn't have a good word to say about anyone in CWS uniform and the games in KC with all the baserunning goofs - I can see an image Jimmy literally banging his head against the wall.

As for Harry, he'd cheer us up and give us all some heart.
Jimmy was the best. He actually knew what he was talking about--he was one of the most knowledgeable baseball guys around--yet he never came off as a know-it-all. Sometimes he and Harry agreed and sometimes they disagreed but it was always a lively discussion.

Harry and Jimmy were great describing the game and were always entertaining to listen to--sometimes moreso than the game itself which JR didn't like. They were also brutally honest, but they weren't whinners nor team apologists.

As for Harry cheering us up, remember his "He's one out of his last ten, two out of his last nineteen, three out of his last thirty..." LOL! Anyway, Harry was the best play by play man ever and Piersall was the best color guy who also did well doing play by play. Together, Harry & Jimmy were the greatest!

Lip Man 1
09-18-2005, 09:57 PM
Amen.

Lip

tstrike2000
09-18-2005, 10:01 PM
I don't know if I completely agree with you, Dump. DJ sounds like he's pretty angry about this whole pennant race thing.

He's angry, I'm angry.... Be nice if the PLAYERS got a little angry!

Mary, couldn't agree with you more!!!!

CYGarland20
09-18-2005, 10:11 PM
You cannot compare the sports, baseball does not have constant action going. Baseball has too many lull points to be compared to football or other sports. Tell me what announcers in baseball fit your term of exiciting like a football game Exactly!!

paciorek1983
09-18-2005, 10:32 PM
Schulman sucks!!

I'll take Hawk & DJ any day over Mr. Syllable.