PDA

View Full Version : Durham fires on Organization.

Jerry_Manuel
07-27-2001, 08:05 AM
CLEVELAND White Sox manager Jerry Manuel and GM Ken Williams were quick to scoff at comparisons of the James Baldwin deal Thursday and the "White Flag Trade" of 1997.
On July 31, 1997, the Sox, who were trailing front-running Cleveland by 3 games in the AL Central at the time, traded veteran pitchers Wilson Alvarez, Danny Darwin and Roberto Hernandez to San Francisco for Lorenzo Barcelo, Keith Foulke, Bob Howry, Ken Vining, Mike Caruso and Brian Manning.

Entering Thursday's game at Cleveland, the Sox were nine games behind the Indians.

"White flag would mean something else," Manuel said. "J.B. was inconsistent. What white flag? We're taking the white flag down now."

Sox second baseman Ray Durham, a good friend of Baldwin, wasn't buying it.

"I don't like it, not at all," Durham said. "Just because a guy is struggling they get rid of him. You tell me if that's quitting.

"(Baldwin) was one of our battlers. Look at last year's playoff game (against Seattle). He didn't have his good stuff and he was hurt, but he battled. That's what we need here ... battlers. I don't see much of that here.

"That shows me that, hey, I could be next. No one is untouchable. It might be me who's called in that office tomorrow. Here was a guy who pitched his (bleep) off, and they just said 'Let him go.' "

Williams was surprised to hear Durham's comments.

"That's unfortunate that he feels that way," Williams said. "That is not where we are. We are not conceding anything."

Williams also showed little concern in what critics will say of the trade for three Dodgers prospects.

"You can listen to the public and hear what the public says, but if you try to operate a business on public perception you're not doing justice to the job you're assigned to do," he said.

Paul Konerko believes both the Sox and Dodgers will come out ahead in the deal.

"This is a business," the first baseman said. "No one should be surprised. It's good for James, and I'm sure the organization feels it's good for them."

cheeses_h_rice
07-27-2001, 09:12 AM
I'm getting really tired of all the tears for JB's departure.

Face it: you never knew what you were going to get out of him when he stepped on that mound. This team could still make the playoffs, and the last thing I want is JB and his potential rag-arm up there throwing up lollipops for the other side to pound out of the park.

As for KW's blunder, I think Reinsdorf needs to really reinforce to the Ken doll that if he does something as blatantly stupid and freshman-ish as that, he's out of there.

Me, I look at this as a salary dump. If any of those Dodgers guys produces anything, it's all gravy.

Jerry_Manuel
07-27-2001, 09:48 AM
Me, I look at this as a salary dump. If any of those Dodgers guys produces anything, it's all gravy.

That's exactly what it was.
I can sort of see Durham's point but you don't go and show up your GM and team by saying that crap to the press. Keep it in house, besides it is our job to show up the GM! :)

But seriously if Durham would play as well as he runs his mouth we wouldn't be in 3rd place. Just my opinion.

cheeses_h_rice
07-27-2001, 10:12 AM
Durham's just worried because his .260-hitting, shoulda-had-more-errors-havin' ass might be next.

And I hope it is!

Iguana775
07-27-2001, 10:27 AM
i wouldnt be too dissapointed if ray ray is gone. he has been average at best this year and has been really shaky on defense. i think ray needs to worry about his play before he starts bitching or he WILL be next to go.

Spiff
07-27-2001, 10:39 AM
Hey JM do you scan like every major newspaper in the country to find news about the White Sox?

Because major companies actually hire people to do that for a living, scan papers and watch tv for anything about the company.