PDA

View Full Version : Sox public comments coming out of Minnesota

gf2020
09-17-2005, 11:27 PM
You know it's been really tough to stay positive through all this, but I've managed. I can't wait until the White Sox again share the field with these Indians from Cleveland so they can show them what I know in my heart: they are true champions.

But is so startling to read just how bruised their pyches are right now.

From: http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-050917rogers,1,5873198.column?coll=cs-home-utility
"For me, I don't have confidence. … The hitters are better than my pitches."
From: http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050917soxbrite,1,1113291.story?coll=cs-home-headlines
"I really have no confidence out there," Podsednik said late Friday night.
Come on. Why not just kick-me signs on their backs? It's one thing to think these things, which is bad enough. It's another thing to express them in public and give the opposition any type of edge.

Fuller_Schettman
09-17-2005, 11:31 PM
I smell quotes taken out of context....

Then again, I just might be...

SouthSide_HitMen
09-17-2005, 11:54 PM
Well hopefully this quote is correct:

Guillen will consult with general manager Ken Williams and take a couple of days to consider pulling the proud Hernandez from the rotation. But there's no way the Sox can let the Twins—and Indians—rub their hands together over a rerun next Thursday night at U.S. Cellular Field—Johan Santana vs. Hernandez in the opener of a four-game series.

Hernandez's spot—which is also in line to start Games No. 157 and 162—surely will be given to McCarthy, the rookie who has given up fewer runs in 251/3 innings since being recalled from Triple-A Charlotte (three) than Hernandez allowed in the fourth inning against the Twins at the Metrodome.

Ol' No. 2
09-18-2005, 11:49 AM
I smell quotes taken out of context....

Then again, I just might be...In Podsednik's case, it's clearly confidence in his leg strength and not in himself. He's not getting that first step he used to. He's taking a bunch of little steps because he's not confident enough in his leg to take that big crossover step.

fquaye149
09-18-2005, 12:06 PM
another example of talk being cheap.

we'll see where the chips fall at season end.

until then, all the handwringing in the world won't make a lick of difference.

Optipessimism
09-18-2005, 12:41 PM
Hopefully McCarthy takes El Duque's spot and provides a lift for this team. I'd also like to see Anderson get a serious chance with our hitters unable to put anything together as of late. IMO Ozzie needs to give more chances to the young future of this team in McCarthy, Anderson, and Jenks. Mark also has to step it up big time if this team wants to play deep into October.

Ol' No. 2
09-18-2005, 12:44 PM
Hopefully McCarthy takes El Duque's spot and provides a lift for this team. I'd also like to see Anderson get a serious chance with our hitters unable to put anything together as of late. IMO Ozzie needs to give more chances to the young future of this team in McCarthy, Anderson, and Jenks. Mark also has to step it up big time if this team wants to play deep into October.Absolutely. I don't see how Ozzie can keep a .185 hitter out of the lineup.

Optipessimism
09-18-2005, 12:55 PM
Absolutely. I don't see how Ozzie can keep a .185 hitter out of the lineup.

Anyone who judges a player's worth based on 27 AB's, mainly against above average pitchers, has absolutely no idea at all.

The thing I like about Anderson is that he has power and isn't afraid to cut it loose. On top of that, in his short time here he has shown that he can put down a bunt, has some speed, and can play some D. I'm not saying put him in there everyday, but give him a chance. This team needs a lift.

Ol' No. 2
09-18-2005, 12:59 PM
Anyone who judges a player's worth based on 27 AB's, mainly against above average pitchers, has absolutely no idea at all.

The thing I like about Anderson is that he has power and isn't afraid to cut it loose. On top of that, in his short time here he has shown that he can put down a bunt, has some speed, and can play some D. I'm not saying put him in there everyday, but give him a chance. This team needs a lift.And you judged his worth based on what? He's done nothing to show that he can do any better than they guys who are in there now. This is not the time to be experimenting with unproven rookies. He'll get his chance - next year.

Optipessimism
09-18-2005, 01:17 PM
And you judged his worth based on what? He's done nothing to show that he can do any better than they guys who are in there now. This is not the time to be experimenting with unproven rookies. He'll get his chance - next year.

He's shown consistency throughout his short minor league career. Granted, that means nothing in the Majors, but IMO he has at least shown he deserves a chance to get put in there for a couple of games when your CF, 1B, and DH, which account for most of the beef in the lineup, aren't producing.