PDA

View Full Version : Sox Clincher--September 17th, 1983

ja1022
09-17-2005, 05:43 PM
Wow. It doesn't seem that long ago, but 22 years ago today, Harold Baines knocked in Julio Cruz, and the Sox clinched the AL West title at Comiskey. Looks like we'll have to wait another week or so this year. It was fun in '83, and it's fun this year too. Nerve wracking maybe, but fun. Would you rather have your team 8.5 back and playing out the string? Hell no. Whatever happens, enjoy it. Games that matter in October is what it's all about.

Blancos Medias
09-17-2005, 06:43 PM
I remember it well. I was away from home, listening to the game on the radio. I still get goose bumps thinking about it. At the time, I actually got a little choked up. No kidding.

My wife flat out had tears in her eyes. It was that emotional. And then, of course, the team forgot how to hit....

I have higher hopes for this team. Here's hoping they come out of their current funk and kick some Cleveland butt. :tongue:

MarySwiss
09-17-2005, 06:55 PM
I remember it like it was yesterday... Julio doing his little emphatic jump on home plate. Big smile on his face. Sweet!

DannyCaterFan
09-17-2005, 10:44 PM
Very hard to believe it's been 22 years since that night. I was there with my ex wife and a buddy and I remember running on the field and letting out a lot of frustration stemming from my previous 23 years as a Sox fan without winning anything.
I was also there live to see the 93 clincher and even the one in 2000 in Minnesota. I hope to be there when they clinch this year.

RadioheadRocks
09-17-2005, 10:47 PM
I remember watching it on TV in my dorm room at NIU (on an old black and white portable) and our floor partied like crazy that night... so much so that the University Police made a couple visits to our floor.

Was there in person with my aunt when we clinched in '93... she thought Bo's home run was going to go foul, I thought it would be caught but it kept carrying and carrying... wonderful memories!!!

zach23
09-18-2005, 03:34 AM
I saw Julio Cruz jump across home plate while stuck at a wedding at "Annie Tiques" on Cicero. I was 16 and we lived in walking distance of the park, but my mom made me go to my cousin's wedding that night. I have reminded her of Sept. 17th, 1983 ever since that night.
I had hoped to see a clincher up here in Minnesota this weekend to make up for that, but fate decided otherwise. Oh well, I have tickets for all three games next weekend and hopefully that will be the clincher.

RadioheadRocks
09-18-2005, 03:42 AM
I saw Julio Cruz jump across home plate while stuck at a wedding at "Annie Tiques" on Cicero. I was 16 and we lived in walking distance of the park, but my mom made me go to my cousin's wedding that night. I have reminded her of Sept. 17th, 1983 ever since that night.
I had hoped to see a clincher up here in Minnesota this weekend to make up for that, but fate decided otherwise. Oh well, I have tickets for all three games next weekend and hopefully that will be the clincher.

OMG... Annie Tique's!!! Now THERE's a blast from the past!!!

C-Dawg
09-18-2005, 08:51 PM
My brother was at the 83 clincher, the lucky bum!

What he doesn't know, is I've got his game program from that night, with the scorecard faithfully filled in for the whole game, with his notes "SOX 1983 AL WEST CHAMPS!!" at the bottom of it.