PDA

View Full Version : Horrible loss for the Marlins

Jjav829
09-17-2005, 03:31 PM
Yikes, this was a horrible loss for the Fish today. They entered the day 1.5 games back of the Astros in the Wild Card race and .5 behind the Phillies. But they had good reason to believe they could win a very important game today. The Marlins were sending Dontrelle Willis to the mound to go for his 22nd win. Everything was going fine. Willis had pitched 8 innings of shutout baseball, striking out 7, walking none and giving up only 3 hits. The Marlins had scratched across a couple runs and had a 2-0 lead heading into the 9th. This is what followed...

Philadelphia - Top of 9th Score
Dontrelle Willis pitching for Florida PHI FLA
J Encarnacion in right field. 0 2
J Conine at first base. 0 2
J Rollins singled to left. 0 2
J Michaels walked, J Rollins to second. 0 2
B Abreu safe at first on error by second baseman L Castillo, J Rollins scored, J Michaels to third. 1 2
T Jones relieved D Willis. 1 2
E Chavez ran for B Abreu. 1 2
P Burrell singled to center, J Michaels scored, E Chavez to second. 2 2
C Utley reached on bunt single to pitcher, E Chavez scored, P Burrell to third, C Utley to second on throwing error by pitcher T Jones. 3 2
S Victorino ran for P Burrell. 3 2
D Bell singled to shallow center, S Victorino scored, C Utley to third.4 2
M Lieberthal singled to center, C Utley scored, D Bell to second. 5 2
R Howard hit for R Martinez. 5 2
R Howard safe at first on error by first baseman J Conine, D Bell scored, M Lieberthal to second. 6 2
M Tucker hit for U Urbina. 6 2
R Villone relieved T Jones. 6 2
M Tucker singled to right, M Lieberthal to third, R Howard to second. 6 2
J Rollins singled to center, M Lieberthal and R Howard scored, M Tucker to second. 8 2
J Michaels struck out looking. 8 2
E Chavez singled to center, M Tucker scored, J Rollins to second, J Rollins to third on throwing error by center fielder J Pierre. 9 2
R Messenger relieved R Villone. 9 2
S Victorino hit sacrifice fly to center, J Rollins scored. 10 2
C Utley grounded out to pitcher.10 2
10 Runs, 8 Hits, 4 Errors

I thought Jones should have started the 9th and was surprised that McKeon left Willis in, though I can understand why he did so. That's just a bad way to lose a game this late in the year. 4 errors in one inning? The first 10 batters reached base before the Fish even recorded an out!

beckett21
09-17-2005, 03:33 PM
Now THAT'S an implosion. Unreal.

samram
09-17-2005, 03:34 PM
Yeah, it's not good when a guy pinch-runs and hits in the same inning.

MarySwiss
09-17-2005, 03:42 PM
Be nice if the Royals saw this and drew upon it for inspiration!

RKMeibalane
09-17-2005, 04:10 PM
Can you imagine what this board would be like if that happened to the Sox?

I think 'West would probably shut the place down.

DSpivack
09-18-2005, 12:08 AM
My roommate is a diehard Marlins fan, just shook his head and pretty much gave up this season when that happened. Not as in I won't watch them, but just assuming they won't make the playoffs.

That would suck, but they've won 2 World Series in the last 8 years.

Soxzilla
09-18-2005, 09:36 AM
Can you imagine what this board would be like if that happened to the Sox?

I think 'West would probably shut the place down.

Yeah. That would be one of those 'avoidance nights,' where, after the game you just completely skip any sort of post-game conversation and hit the sack for the night.

Just because you know nothing good will come out of being on here.:redneck

samram
09-18-2005, 09:58 AM
Yeah. That would be one of those 'avoidance nights,' where, after the game you just completely skip any sort of post-game conversation and hit the sack for the night.

Just because you know nothing good will come out of being on here.:redneck

Actually, I like those nights, even when the Sox lose, because the DCs are so silly they actually reinforce my faith in the team. Of course, I'd rather the Sox just win and make those nights nonexistent, but you have to find the positive in any situation.