PDA

View Full Version : Borchard for DH

mrwag
09-17-2005, 01:14 PM
I can't accept a .250 from our #4 DH hitter. I'd rather see Borch have a shot, since it's obvious Everett can't get it done. At least we'd get a loooooong home run from him every so often. This pop-up, lazy fly ball stuff is getting old.

Chips
09-17-2005, 01:17 PM
I would too. I like Joe, but he has to make contact more than he did last year and this year in the minors. Too many K's, but Carl is in a big slump.

:LTP

Banix12
09-17-2005, 01:52 PM
Way too late in the season to go goofing around with the lineup. Even with Carl slumping I think you have to go with experience right now. Maybe next year.

JRIG
09-17-2005, 02:06 PM
I can't accept a .250 from our #4 DH hitter. I'd rather see Borch have a shot, since it's obvious Everett can't get it done. At least we'd get a loooooong home run from him every so often. This pop-up, lazy fly ball stuff is getting old.

Again, you do realize Brian Anderson is back on the roster, right?

Everett has been awful since the braek. A .580 OPS in Sept.

soxwon
09-17-2005, 02:22 PM
has borchard played since being called up?

kitekrazy
09-17-2005, 02:28 PM
Way too late in the season to go goofing around with the lineup. Even with Carl slumping I think you have to go with experience right now. Maybe next year.

You're right. Ozzie needs to continue to rest Iguchi every other day.

Chips
09-17-2005, 02:29 PM
has borchard played since being called up?

Yes, he is 3 for 3 with a double.

Whitesox05
09-17-2005, 06:59 PM

Can't get it done? He has all year. This is not his fault....he is having a good year. The main problem with the offense is SCOTT PODSEDNIK! Guillen needs to bench him in favor of platooning Ozuna and Timo. This is getting bad! I would much rather have a good hitting Perez up to bat than I would scott. When scott can't steal bases, it makes him a very average player, with below average hitting.They won because of him in the 1st half and they are losing because of him in the 2nd half, The other offensive problem has been Rowand. His power numbers are way down and we need him to hit some gappers.

ChiSoxRowand
09-17-2005, 07:08 PM
I would also like to see Borchard at least get a start here and there. Everett has sucked since the break and Joe has looked good since being called up (yes, I know it is only 3 ABs).

mdep524
09-17-2005, 07:28 PM
Wow, some over-reactions here. Whitesox05, do you realize that Scott Podsednik is batting .353 with a .421 OBP in September? Pretty damn good.

I'll agree his SBs and game-changing baserunning are down and there is a lesson to be learned from that. The old adage "speed doesn't slump" is misleading and wrong. It does slump, and it wears out from overuse. Pods has been a non-factor on the bases since his injury. However, his batting this month has been solid, and as long as he hits at this clip it will make up for the lack of SBs.

Everett has been awful, no question. However, we should not throw pennant race ABs to Joe Borchard just yet. What the heck does Ross Gload have to do to get PT???? He should be in there much more regularly right now, though the ultimate goal is to have both Everett and Konerko- who are both slumping right now- on track for the playoffs.

If the Sox don't have them going, they're not going far in the playoffs, no matter how good the pitching is.

He gone
09-17-2005, 07:52 PM
Can't get it done? He has all year. This is not his fault....he is having a good year.

.250 batting average is'nt having a good year in my book :?: I'm all for Ozzie trying something to shake-up this offense. Give some At-Bats to Joe or Ross. Could they do any worse than Everett right now?

Brian26
09-17-2005, 08:08 PM
I like the concept of thinking out of the box, but things have really deteriorated. Borchard has no business playing in games until we clinch this thing. Anderson on the otherhand...

DannyCaterFan
09-17-2005, 09:36 PM
It's a little too late to do too much with this lineup. I would like to see what Borchard could bring to the table, but the timing right now as Cleveland is coming to town, calls for experience. I hate that Everett is choking, but we have to play with the hand we were dealt with.

thezeker
09-17-2005, 10:49 PM
If this lineup doesn't score more than 2 runs tomorrow Ozzie better do something. Ozzie needs to swallow his pride and try either Gload or Borchard @ DH or maybe try to work both in the lineup. This team needs a jumpstart and Everett looks very tired! Both physically and mentally!

getonbckthr
09-18-2005, 02:36 AM
everett has been the heart and soul of this team all year from the preseason dinner for the team all the way to the lashing earlier in the week. the man needs a break. we have a team full of outfielders and DH's give the man a day or 2.

Whitesox05
09-18-2005, 02:44 AM
Wow, some over-reactions here. Whitesox05, do you realize that Scott Podsednik is batting .353 with a .421 OBP in September? Pretty damn good.

I'll agree his SBs and game-changing baserunning are down and there is a lesson to be learned from that. The old adage "speed doesn't slump" is misleading and wrong. It does slump, and it wears out from overuse. Pods has been a non-factor on the bases since his injury. However, his batting this month has been solid, and as long as he hits at this clip it will make up for the lack of SBs.

Everett has been awful, no question. However, we should not throw pennant race ABs to Joe Borchard just yet. What the heck does Ross Gload have to do to get PT???? He should be in there much more regularly right now, though the ultimate goal is to have both Everett and Konerko- who are both slumping right now- on track for the playoffs.

If the Sox don't have them going, they're not going far in the playoffs, no matter how good the pitching is.

Carl has not been aweful. He is slumping a little right now, but he has had a good season. He produced better than we would gave thought at the beginning of the season. he is one of the toughest outs in our lineup. He should not be taking this heat.

Whitesox05
09-18-2005, 02:46 AM

I agree! If we do make the playoffs, we aren't going anywhere because we don't have enough hitting. I have been saying that since the All Star break and all the fans said that we didn't need another stick. I would have loved to get Griffey, even though he got injured, and replace Rowand with him. Rowand is not getting it done at the plate.

Whitesox05
09-18-2005, 02:49 AM
.250 batting average is'nt having a good year in my book :?: I'm all for Ozzie trying something to shake-up this offense. Give some At-Bats to Joe or Ross. Could they do any worse than Everett right now?

.250 is not bad with 22 hr's. Dye's average is not that much higher. Everett is around a .250-.280 hitter but he is a good one. I would much rather have Carl up there instead of Rowand that for sure. Carl comes through! He has been struggling, but if we didn't have him, we wouldn't even be in 1st place period. He carried the offense the 1st half no doubt!

Whitesox05
09-18-2005, 02:52 AM

Guillen is so damn stubborn that it makes me angry a lot. He has been very stubborn about not playing Gload. He is a hitter and he needs to be starting on that team. I would bench Rowand, move Pods to center and put Everett in left and have gload DH. Rowand can platoon against lefty pitchers. We need to think out of the box because stuff isn't working right now. Also, Guillen is wasting McCarthy....today and the game against the Angels. I would go to the 6 man rotation so they all get to pitch. Hernandez hasn't been great, but it is not his fault. It is our offenses fault!

Whitesox05
09-18-2005, 02:54 AM
everett has been the heart and soul of this team all year from the preseason dinner for the team all the way to the lashing earlier in the week. the man needs a break. we have a team full of outfielders and DH's give the man a day or 2.

I agree! He is one of my top MVP candidates for the Sox this season. He has carried them and he has an attitude and a swagger. I like that about him. Give him a break...he'll be fine!

Banix12
09-18-2005, 03:18 AM
Ah, nothing worse than a thread based on sheer panic and frustration.

I don't know whether Everett is tired or whether the rest of the league has figured out that you can get him out on a changeup. I still wouldn't replace him and his over 80 RBI's with a guy with three major league at-bats this season (yeah I know he hit in all of them) and didn't do a whole lot in his previous major league stints. Yeah I know he improved a lot this year at Charlotte but that's Charlotte. Everett is a major reason the sox are this far, stick by him.

As for Gload, I don't want to incur the wraith of the FORG because his fanclub is rabid with anger after this season, but better players than him are already in the everyday lineup. Now that whole Blum over Gload at 1st on Konkero's days off, that I have your back on. That should never happen. The rest of the guys though, I take them over Gload. Also, while it is true that his opprotunites have been few and far between, he has to make better use of what few chances he gets.

soxrme
09-18-2005, 10:29 AM
Again, you do realize Brian Anderson is back on the roster, right?

Everett has been awful since the braek. A .580 OPS in Sept.
Not only are both on the roster, but ONE of them should have pinch hit for Posednik the other day when he hit into to dp in the ninth.

mrwag
09-18-2005, 12:35 PM
I see the point of sticking with what got you there, but that mentality is what's helping to sink this team. El Duque got us here, Everett got us here, but don't we have better options now? Can't we atleast pinch-hit every now and then, instead of hoping a praying someone's gonna bust out of a slump? We need a shake-up now, and if we sit back and wait for something to happen, that something might just be a second place finish without a wild-card. Trying not to be dark cloud here, but that's a real option right now.

mweflen
09-19-2005, 09:25 AM
Borchard for DH. Now I've heard everything.:bong: He did such a good job for us in 04...

MisterB
09-19-2005, 09:36 AM
The old adage "speed doesn't slump" is misleading and wrong. It does slump, and it wears out from overuse.

A sudden drop in production with no apparent cause is a slump. Pods' speed isn't slumping - he's got a nagging groin injury. It's isn't 'overuse'.