PDA

View Full Version : Who's excited about the Cleveland series?

Palehose13
09-17-2005, 11:19 AM
I sure am. IMO, these next 3 games will show what type of playoff team the Sox are. I think the Sox are gonna kick ass and I'll be there for the clincher next weekend. :D:

So yeah...rah rah! GO SOX!

anewman35
09-17-2005, 12:05 PM
I sure am. IMO, these next 4 games will show what type of playoff team the Sox are. I think the Sox are gonna kick ass and I'll be there for the clincher next weekend. :D:

Err, it's a 3 game series, not 4.

skobabe8
09-17-2005, 01:29 PM
I definately am. Enough is enough. I want to know whats gonna happen, so lets just get it on with the Indians and get it over with.

MarySwiss
09-17-2005, 02:26 PM
I definately am. Enough is enough. I want to know whats gonna happen, so lets just get it on with the Indians and get it over with.

I am so tired of listening to all the doom and gloom in the media--and here, in some cases--and there's only one way to make it stop. So let's get the Indians over with! :angry: :angry: :angry:

Blancos Medias
09-17-2005, 02:26 PM
I am too. Looking forward to getting this over and done. If the Sox play up to their competition, they should take 4 of 6.

Contreras has been pitching well. Hopefully Garcia and Buerhle will correct whatever is ailing them.

I want Mags back
09-17-2005, 02:28 PM
Excited-yes

nervous as hell- more yes

Wsoxmike59
09-17-2005, 02:28 PM
I'm looking FW to it BIGTIME! I'll be at Mon and Wed's games. Go Sox!

MarySwiss
09-17-2005, 02:39 PM
Excited-yes
nervous as hell- more yes

I was in a sports bar last night when I ran into a mouthy Tribe fan who was yammering on and on about how the Tribe was going all the way, and who evidently thought she was meaner that I am. (She was wrong.) I pointed out to her--loudly--that the only reason the Tribe is on this roll is that they haven't had to play us--since we swept them. That one shut her up. Good thing, too, because hair-pulling was next on my agenda, followed by a punch in the face.

My point? If anyone should be nervous, it's Tribe fans.

Feel better now?

:smile:

Blancos Medias
09-17-2005, 02:44 PM
Mary, I like your style. :D: Reminds me of my wife and her sister, both are rabid Sox fans.

beckett21
09-17-2005, 02:47 PM
I was in a sports bar last night when I ran into a mouthy Tribe fan who was yammering on and on about how the Tribe was going all the way, and who evidently thought she was meaner that I am. (She was wrong.) I pointed out to her--loudly--that the only reason the Tribe is on this roll is that they haven't had to play us--since we swept them. That one shut her up. Good thing, too, because hair-pulling was next on my agenda, followed by a punch in the face.

Feel better now?

Remind me to stay on your good side! :redneck

Palehose13
09-17-2005, 04:17 PM
Err, it's a 3 game series, not 4.

My bad. I'll edit. All thses different colors on the schedule (the magnetic one) had me thinking it was a four game series.

Palehose13
09-17-2005, 04:18 PM

Feel better now?

Mary-

We gotta hook up for a brew or two sometime. I couldn't even imagine what it would belike if you, me, and steff were all smack talking to someone. :cool:

iamkoza
09-17-2005, 05:12 PM
I sure am. IMO, these next 3 games will show what type of playoff team the Sox are. I think the Sox are gonna kick ass and I'll be there for the clincher next weekend. :D:

2 weeks ago I thought my tickets to the last 2 home games of the season might be clinching games...

soxfan26
09-17-2005, 05:24 PM

Feel better now?

:cheers: Here's to you Mary Swiss.

Jurr
09-17-2005, 05:28 PM

Feel better now?

God bless you, Mary. The Sox are going to man up and do this thing, and you're definitely the type of person I want to be next to when they do.

MarySwiss
09-17-2005, 05:31 PM
Mary-

We gotta hook up for a brew or two sometime. I couldn't even imagine what it would belike if you, me, and steff were all smack talking to someone. :cool:

Totally agree. I'm thinking about coming back to Chicago for a visit in the spring. If I do, I'd love to get with both you and Steff. And some other WSI folks.

OTOH, if any of you guys make the trek to Arizona for spring training, be sure to give me a shout. True it's Tucson and I am in the Valley, but that's straight down I10, basically the same run as Chi to Milwaukee, so it's no biggie.

jerry myers
09-17-2005, 06:06 PM
Mary You are correct! Thank you i needed that. They can do it.They have the team.

Dan H
09-17-2005, 06:38 PM
In my opinion, this is the biggest series for the Sox during the last 38 years. Sweep it and we can put this nightmare behind us. Lose it and the nightmare will only be beginning.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-17-2005, 06:54 PM
In my opinion, this is the biggest series for the Sox during the last 38 years. Sweep it and we can put this nightmare behind us. Lose it and the nightmare will only be beginning.

This is an interesting thought. What constitutes a "nightmare" for Sox Fans?

I believe the 1967 collapse in KC the last week of the season to be the worst. They had climbed back into first place and had an easy schedule but couldn't put it away. From first place to fourth, it was all over in 3 measly games.

For the 2005 Sox to truly collapse, they would need to completely miss the playoffs. Furthermore such a collapse would only be the culmination of a two-month slide where a seemingly insurmountable lead was gradually lost. Instead of 3 days, the effect would literally be months in the making.

Sorry. If the 2005 Sox truly can't make the playoffs, then they were never championship material. I can live with that. Blowing three stupid games against a bottom feeder the last weekend of the season? That's a lot worse.

As for other nightmares, I'm glad the Sox are playing meaningful games in September. Most seasons we're cooked long before Labor Day, sometimes even before 4th of July. That's the sort of "nightmare" we Sox Fans live with year after year. It's like an old friend now.

But given a choice between that nightmare and the potential 2005 nightmare, I'll take 2005 everytime. That's because MEDIOCRITY SUCKS and it's a nightmare we Sox Fans never escape.

Jurr
09-17-2005, 06:58 PM
This is an interesting thought. What constitutes a "nightmare" for Sox Fans?

I believe the 1967 collapse in KC the last week of the season to be the worst. They had climbed back into first place and had an easy schedule but couldn't put it away. From first place to fourth, it was all over in 3 measly games.

For the 2005 Sox to truly collapse, they would need to completely miss the playoffs. Furthermore such a collapse would only be the culmination of a two-month slide where a seemingly insurmountable lead was gradually lost. Instead of 3 days, the effect would literally be months in the making.

Sorry. If the 2005 Sox truly can't make the playoffs, then they were never championship material. I can live with that. Blowing three stupid games against a bottom feeder the last weekend of the season? That's a lot worse.

As for other nightmares, I'm glad the Sox are playing meaningful games in September. Most seasons we're cooked long before Labor Day, sometimes even before 4th of July. That's the sort of "nightmare" we Sox Fans live with year after year. It's like an old friend now.

But given a choice between that nightmare and the potential 2005 nightmare, I'll take 2005 everytime. That's because MEDIOCRITY SUCKS and it's a nightmare we Sox Fans never escape.
Couldn't be said better. Every game you see during a season is a 3 hour investment of your time and emotional energy. To see a team win 31 (to date) more times than you've seen them lose is special. You've been a lot happier than you've been pissed. However it ends, you can't take away all of those days (89 to date) that you've enjoyed a Sox winner.

But, while they're at it....those damned Sox might as well win this thing and give us an extra bag of jollies.:supernana:

kitekrazy
09-17-2005, 07:21 PM
Sorry. If the 2005 Sox truly can't make the playoffs, then they were never championship material. I can live with that.

I don't know if I could believe anyone just accepting it. But lets hope it is not put to test.

I for one think it they truly collapse. They'll need a big name FA to help fill those seats.

Palehose13
09-17-2005, 08:23 PM
Sorry. If the 2005 Sox truly can't make the playoffs, then they were never championship material. I can live with that.

I feel the same way, George. If they can't hold the lead and miss the playoffs then they were not supposed to be there in the first place.

I'm excited about this upcoming series because IMO this will really show us what our Sox are made of. Did they become lackadaisical with their huge lead or were the mediots right all along? I have a feeling that we will find out by Friday and I think we will be happy with how our guys have played.

Cinch it up and hunker down Sox fans, this is what a pennant race is all about!

Brian26
09-17-2005, 08:49 PM
I don't know if I could believe anyone just accepting it. But lets hope it is not put to test.

Goes against the thinking that was exhibited earlier in the year by some people. I remember specific arguments and debates that originated with "I'll be happy if the Sox can just make it to the playoffs or make it to the ALCS." People were called out on that big time. I remember Hal tearing someone to absolute shreds over that comment. He said, "why do we constantly settle for mediocrity as Sox fans?" I can't blame him, and I see his point of view (not sure if it has changed since then). Why should we settle for this though? It's been a great season, but there's no way I'll be happy unless we make the postseason. Anyway, let's hope we can kick some Indian ass next week. Let's make the playoffs and kick some ass in the postseason.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-17-2005, 09:02 PM
Hey we've got a guy over in the Roadhouse right now wondering aloud why it wouldn't be better if the Sox missed the playoffs entirely. I'm guessing he doesn't even realize everyone in Cleveland agrees with him.
:o:

I don't give a **** how the Sox qualify for their second season, just as long as they qualify. Obviously I'll never be satisfied until they win the whole ****ing enchilada, too.

Meanwhile if we're going to debate what the worst nightmare might be, I'll gladly take a season like 2005 that has us battling for a playoff spot in late-September over countless seasons we weren't even a factor.

Right now it sucks to be Ron Gardenhire and the tiny dick nobodies holding an oblong microphone up to their mouth in Minnenoplace. You only need to listen to them to know what I'm talking about. Furthermore we Sox Fans have plenty of experience with meaningless September games. Many of the very same people bitching about those past Sox seasons of mediocrity are the same ones here now bitching about a Sox season where we're contenders.

These people are utterly predictable. They bitch regardless what the situation is. And that's what makes them so pathetic.

SouthBendSox
09-17-2005, 09:05 PM
meltdown on the south side

paciorek1983
09-17-2005, 09:06 PM
If this team makes the post season by backing in, I don't know how excited I'll be. I would expect a poor division series, unfortunately. But this whole thing that has happened to them over the last two months might be a good thing IF they have to scratch their way the last week. That's how the wildcard teams do it, and they're the ones who have been successful over the last few years.

I'm not excited about the Clevleand series. I'm nervous and will be sick to my stomach if they don't win the first game and will be even worse if they don't take 2 of 3. Having said all that, part of winning is about timing, and it may be time that the Indians roll stopped. It's got to happen sooner or later.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-17-2005, 09:09 PM

Right on cue.
:rolleyes:

....Many of the very same people bitching about those past Sox seasons of mediocrity are the same ones here now bitching about a Sox season where we're contenders.

These people are utterly predictable. They bitch regardless what the situation is. And that's what makes them so pathetic.

Brian26
09-17-2005, 09:10 PM

It's not even that the Sox are doing that badly...they're around .500 in the 2nd half. It's the fact that Cleveland is ****ing on fire. 22-6 or something in their last 28? Nuts.

paciorek1983
09-17-2005, 09:12 PM
Hey we've got a guy over in the Roadhouse right now wondering aloud why it wouldn't be better if the Sox missed the playoffs entirely. I'm guessing he doesn't even realize everyone in Cleveland agrees with him.

I don't give a **** how the Sox qualify for their second season, just as long as they qualify. Obviously I'll never be satisfied until they win the whole ****ing enchilada, too.

Meanwhile if we're going to debate what the worst nightmare might be, I'll gladly take a season like 2005 that has us battling for a playoff spot in late-September over countless seasons we weren't even a factor.

Right now it sucks to be Ron Gardenhire and the tiny dick nobodies holding an oblong microphone up to their mouth in Minnenoplace. You only need to listen to them to know what I'm talking about. Furthermore we Sox Fans have plenty of experience with meaningless September games. Many of the very same people bitching about those past Sox seasons of mediocrity are the same ones here now bitching about a Sox season where we're contenders.

Hey if they make it, great. But, they're making it because they had such a huge lead. This team looks nothing like it did when they were 15 games ahead. That portion of the season seems like it didn't even exist. If this team continues to play the way they are playing and still makes the playoffs, they could be a huge embarrassment.:(: I'd still like to see them make it of course, because it is a whole new season once a team gets there.

paciorek1983
09-17-2005, 09:15 PM
It's not even that the Sox are doing that badly...they're around .500 in the 2nd half. It's the fact that Cleveland is ****ing on fire. 22-6 or something in their last 28? Nuts.

But, they're just around .500. They're just barely afloat, they're playing awful baseball. They're no fun to watch, Ozzie even said it himself. Cleveland being on fire has only accentuated how bad the Sox have been playing. If the sox could at least be 10 over for the second half of the season, things wouldn't look so bad.

DannyCaterFan
09-17-2005, 09:18 PM
This is actually becoming the first time that I can remember since that 1967 collapse the last week of the season, that the Sox have been in a close race right up to the last 2 weeks. Sure they had good years in 83, 93, & 2000, but in each of those seasons they had comfortable leads and coasted into the playoffs.
This Cleveland team scares the heck out of me right now. They just don't lose.
It will be interesting to see how the Sox handle the pressure this week. If past team's are any indication, then we should probably expect a big collapse. Seems like over the past 5 years, whenever we face a big series that is a must win for us, we lose badly.
I hope the Sox can step up and change this pattern. We still have command and even though our lead is just 3-1/2 games, we take this series with Cleveland and we can smell the playoffs. Go Sox !

PaleHoseGeorge
09-17-2005, 09:18 PM
But, they're just around .500. They're just barely afloat, they're playing awful baseball. They're no fun to watch, Ozzie even said it himself. Cleveland being on fire has only accentuated how bad the Sox have been playing. If the sox could at least be 10 over for the second half of the season, things wouldn't look so bad.

Ah, another believer in style points and Big Mo. I thought we had finally debunked this one. Silly me...

:(:

Brian26
09-17-2005, 09:19 PM
This is actually becoming the first time that I can remember since that 1967 collapse the last week of the season, that the Sox have been in a close race right up to the last 2 weeks.

What about 2003?

PaleHoseGeorge
09-17-2005, 09:24 PM
What about 2003?

The '03 Sox fell out of first place in mid-September and never had a serious shot at the wild card either. That's hardly a pennant chase, unlike this season where we still have a lead and strong wild card hopes.

The '67 Sox fell out the last weekend -- and did so facing last-place Kansas City, swept 3 straight. That one is pretty tough to beat.

DannyCaterFan
09-17-2005, 09:29 PM
What about 2003?

You're right Brian, they were in in til mid September before losing to the Twins in 2003. This year though it looks like it may go down to the last weekend, which would be the first time since 67.

paciorek1983
09-17-2005, 09:29 PM
Ah, another believer in style points and Big Mo. I thought we had finally debunked this one. Silly me...

:(:

It does matter how they make the playoffs. This team has been playing like crap the last two months. Their lead was so big they could afford to do that. This team right now is a shell of the first four months. They keep that up they're going nowhere but home after the first round. But then again--anything can happen in the post-season.(that should almost be in teal)

DannyCaterFan
09-17-2005, 09:31 PM
Let's just qualify for the playoffs. I know we are playing bad, but I'll take my chances once we get there.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-17-2005, 09:33 PM
It does matter how they make the playoffs. This team has been playing like crap the last two months. Their lead was so big they could afford to so that. This team right now is a shell of the first four months. They keep that up they're going nowhere but home after the first round. But then again--anything can happen in the post-season.(that should almost be in teal)

Umm... I thought everyone started with an 0-0 record on October 3 -- even the wild card.
:?:

You know something, if this were Tribe Interactive we wouldn't have to cover this point. The closest the Indians ever came to winning a world championship the last half-century came in 1997, losers to the Florida Marlins... the first ever wild card world champions.

Maybe the fans in Cleveland are smarter than the ones on the South Side? Say it ain't so!

Brian26
09-17-2005, 09:34 PM
Let's just qualify for the playoffs. I know we are playing bad, but I'll take my chances once we get there.

Our pitching could shut down anyone in 3 straight games in the playoffs. We are THAT ****ing good. This isn't 2000 where we're trotting out Parque, Baldwin and Sirotka with their arms tied to their shoulders with crazy glue. We've got a ****ing team. Just have a little faith. 3.5 games in a huge lead this late in the season.

SluggersAway
09-17-2005, 09:36 PM
Yeaaaa!!!! I'm sooo excited!! This team is playing sooo well, who wouldn't be excited? Yeaaaa, this series is going to kick arse!!

SluggersAway
09-17-2005, 09:38 PM
Our pitching could shut down anyone in 3 straight games in the playoffs.

What team have you been watching lately? Any team in Chicago since July?

PaleHoseGeorge
09-17-2005, 09:38 PM
Yeaaaa!!!! I'm sooo excited!! This team is playing sooo well, who wouldn't be excited? Yeaaaa, this series is going to kick arse!!

:rolleyes:

A.) Use teal.

B.) Don't watch. You've already packed it in anyway.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-17-2005, 09:39 PM

Brian is a fan.

Now what's your excuse?

Jurr
09-17-2005, 09:40 PM
Exactly. How many times during the season have the Sox been going bad and then there's a switch that turns on. BOOM. 7 of 8....8 of 10....8 in a row.
It is really weird in baseball, but that's how it happens. A light switches on instantly, and then the whole mojo is turned around. Ask Boston and NY fans about that exact thing.
The Sox have been notorious from escaping a bad streak this year and then suddenly playing good ball again. That's what I expect is going to happen over the next two weeks. There's no definitive basis for this other than the fact that it's the Sox M.O. this year.
Once you get to the playoffs, the whole dynamic of a team is different. I do know that the Sox will be much better prepared to win this time than in 2000, as we now have a much better pen and starting staff. We can win those close ball games this year, even though it hasn't happened in the last 10 days.
All the Sox have to do is win series right now. A perfect opportunity presents itself tomorrow. Find a way. Win that ****ing game. Then, we need to win 2 of 3 against Cleveland. They (the Tribe) haven't faced pressure like this yet this season. We'll see how they respond on Monday. The Sox have been facing self induced pressure for a few weeks now, and they can channel this down the stretch. We'll see how strong this team is.

Brian26
09-17-2005, 09:41 PM

Come on. Are you serious? Even in games we've lost (ie Freddy in Minnesota with the 1-hitter), we've shut down the opposition. Freddy, Garland, Buehrle, Contreras or BMac could absolutely dominate in a playoff game. It's a best of five. We just need to get there. Hell, we could run the ****ing table once we do. Don't underestimate the importance of great starting pitching.

Palehose13
09-17-2005, 09:45 PM

Do you piss your pants whenever you are challenged? It sure looks like it.

Jurr
09-17-2005, 09:46 PM
Come on. Are you serious? Even in games we've lost (ie Freddy in Minnesota with the 1-hitter), we've shut down the opposition. Freddy, Garland, Buehrle, Contreras or BMac could absolutely dominate in a playoff game. It's a best of five. We just need to get there. Hell, we could run the ****ing table once we do. Don't underestimate the importance of great starting pitching.
It's no use, Brian. Let the guy bathe in a **** smelling pile of his own vomitous self-loathing. We don't have time for this bull ****. Period. Those of us with a half a sack will be cheering come playoff time. These spineless people can put blindfolds on and avoid watching any of the playoff games. They apparently can't take the prospect of losing.

Hey...people.....yeah, we may lose. It could happen. But, we may win as well. Sit back and enjoy meaningful baseball in September.

paciorek1983
09-17-2005, 09:46 PM
Umm... I thought everyone started with an 0-0 record on October 3 -- even the wild card.
:?:

You know something, if this were Tribe Interactive we wouldn't have to cover this point. The closest the Indians ever came to winning a world championship the last half-century came in 1997, losers to the Florida Marlins... the first ever wild card world champions.

Maybe the fans in Cleveland are smarter than the ones on the South Side? Say it ain't so!

Yeah ya do start with an 0-0 record, so what? If they are still in the mode of playing like crap and make it on the skin of their teeth, the chances are that they'll be out right away. Garbage in--garbage out.:(:

Of course with the great pitching the Sox have they should do alright in the playoffs, but what the h*** is going on with this team the last 2 months? Are you that confident that they can turn around how they've been playing? I think they can snap out of it, but I can only base it on what they did the first four months, unfortunately this team currently looks nothing like that team. What are you basing your positiveness on? And believe me I'm normally not a typical doom and gloom Sox fan, but they're pissing me off.

Cellview22
09-17-2005, 09:48 PM
The playoffs will be a whole new game. They won't be worried about the hottest team in baseball chasing them, or choking away a 15-game lead. It'll be a completely different mentality.

Palehose13
09-17-2005, 09:50 PM
It's no use, Brian. Let the guy bathe in a **** smelling pile of his own vomitous self-loathing. We don't have time for this bull ****. Period. Those of us with a half a sack will be cheering come playoff time. These spineless people can put blindfolds on and avoid watching any of the playoff games. They apparently can't take the prospect of losing.

Hey...people.....yeah, we may lose. It could happen. But, we may win as well. Sit back and enjoy meaningful baseball in September.

Exactly...and this is coming from someone with no sack. :o:

The reason why I started this thread, the reason why I am excited is because the Sox get to challenge the challengers head-on. There will be no "they got in cause they played so and so". This is it. If the Sox can't seal the deal in the next week they don't deserve to be in the playoffs and I can handle that. However, I think this team is too good not to be.

I mean, what the ****? We are sitting one game away from 90 wins. 90 ****ing wins. Most of you spineless bastards didn't think the Sox would win 75 at the start of the season.

Jurr
09-17-2005, 09:52 PM
Yeah ya do start with an 0-0 record, so what? If they are still in the mode of playing like crap and make it on the skin of their teeth, the chances are that they'll be out right away. Garbage in--garbage out.:(:

Of course with the great pitching the Sox have they should do alright in the playoffs, but what the h*** is going on with this team the last 2 months? Are you that confident that they can turn around how they've been playing? I think they can snap out of it, but I can only base it on what they did the first four months, unfortunately this team currently looks nothing like that team. What are you basing your positiveness on? And believe me I'm normally not a typical doom and gloom Sox fan, but they're pissing me off.
George...aren't you just about getting tired of this crybaby crap?

Paciorek...you have two choices. 1.)Watch the games...root on the Sox and see what happens. Know that there's a chance the Sox may lose and blow this thing. There's also that chance they turn it around, get hot, and win the whole ****ing card game.
2.) Watch the World Series of Poker. Start a stamp collection. Maybe even take up artistic self-grooming. Whatever stress free, low risk-low reward hobbies you desire.

If you can't handle watching an entertaining two weeks of baseball because you fear your team losing its ass, then you aren't cut out for this kind of thing. I myself find this to be an exciting, anxious, chew on your damn fingernails, ass kickin' good time. I might end up a very pissed off individual. I may end up the happiest man on earth. But, when I start reading the Hot Stove stuff for next year, I know for certain that I'm going to say, "Damn..that was one hell of a ride."

Brian26
09-17-2005, 09:53 PM
Are you that confident that they can turn around how they've been playing? I think they can snap out of it, but I can only base it on what they did the first four months, unfortunately this team currently looks nothing like that team.

I've seen both sides of the fence on this, but look at it this way (this is the best analogy I can come up with):

30 guys run a marathon. It's a long, grueling marathon. The Sox are going to be one of the best 8 finishers. Some people are going to finish before the Sox, some people are going to finish after them. After the marathon is over, the 8 winners are going to go take a little break (everyone rests for a few minutes), and then they're going to compete in a few quick 50 yard dashes. Now, does it matter who was winning at the 5-mile mark three hours ago? No. Does it matter who was winning at the 20-mile mark 45 minutes ago? No. Does it matter how much of a sprint anyone finished the race with or how fast they were going when they crossed the finish line? No.

All the Sox have to do is qualify by being one of the first 8 finishers, and then they can beat anyone's ass in a 50-yard dash.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-17-2005, 09:55 PM
....And believe me I'm normally not a typical doom and gloom Sox fan, but they're pissing me off.

Look, nobody blames anyone for being frustrated. Everyone wishes they would win 100 games, go 11-0 in the playoffs, and have a giant championship party in Millennium Park. There is no debating they look nothing like that sort of team right now.

The point is everything that has happened since April 1st -- EVERYTHING! -- gets wiped out the evening of October 3. Either the Sox get sent home for the winter or they qualify for the playoffs with the same 0-0 record as 3 other A.L. qualifiers. It's April 1st all over again.

We just don't know what will happen, but it's exciting to be here living it. It's a whole lot better than not living it and I should know. I bet everyone in Minnenoplace knows it, too.

Meanwhile stay brave. Only cowards have anything to fear.

Palehose13
09-17-2005, 09:56 PM
If you can't handle watching an entertaining two weeks of baseball because you fear your team losing its ass, then you aren't cut out for this kind of thing. I myself find this to be an exciting, anxious, chew on your damn fingernails, ass kickin' good time. I might end up a very pissed off individual. I may end up the happiest man on earth. But, when I start reading the Hot Stove stuff for next year, I know for certain that I'm going to say, "Damn..that was one hell of a ride."

Dude...that seriously got me a little choked up. :cool:

paciorek1983
09-17-2005, 10:00 PM

That's the problem, they're not playing entertaining baseball. If they were playing well, and still losing, I could see, that they could come back and get 'em tomorrow, but they're not. Or , when the playoffs start I could see them having a chance. But, they're playing like crap. They don't look like a team that deserves to be in the post season as it stands.

SluggersAway
09-17-2005, 10:00 PM
Don't underestimate the importance of great starting pitching.

I don't underestimate it when I see it. I see it in contreras lately and in Garland today. To say we have 3 pitchers who may dominate is true, but it is equally true that we have 3 who may not produce. It is painfully obvious by our performance recently. To say we have 3 who WILL dominate no matter what is delusional. I'm a fan, a hopeful one at that, but one who has been basing his opinion on the results of the season so far, not on hopes and dreams.

paciorek1983
09-17-2005, 10:01 PM
Look, nobody blames anyone for being frustrated. Everyone wishes they would win 100 games, go 11-0 in the playoffs, and have a giant championship party in Millennium Park. There is no debating they look nothing like that sort of team right now.

The point is everything that has happened since April 1st -- EVERYTHING! -- gets wiped out the evening of October 3. Either the Sox get sent home for the winter or they qualify for the playoffs with the same 0-0 record as 3 other A.L. qualifiers. It's April 1st all over again.

We just don't know what will happen, but it's exciting to be here living it. It's a whole lot better than not living it and I should know. I bet everyone in Minnenoplace knows it, too.

Meanwhile stay brave. Only cowards have anything to fear.

Ok, I feel better now.:smile:

paciorek1983
09-17-2005, 10:05 PM
I've seen both sides of the fence on this, but look at it this way (this is the best analogy I can come up with):

30 guys run a marathon. It's a long, grueling marathon. The Sox are going to be one of the best 8 finishers. Some people are going to finish before the Sox, some people are going to finish after them. After the marathon is over, the 8 winners are going to go take a little break (everyone rests for a few minutes), and then they're going to compete in a few quick 50 yard dashes. Now, does it matter who was winning at the 5-mile mark three hours ago? No. Does it matter who was winning at the 20-mile mark 45 minutes ago? No. Does it matter how much of a sprint anyone finished the race with or how fast they were going when they crossed the finish line? No.

All the Sox have to do is qualify by being one of the first 8 finishers, and then they can beat anyone's ass in a 50-yard dash.

Great analogy. I've just been a little pissed off. I think this team is better than how they've been playing, but I can't stand to watch garbage ball. Short pop-ups are the best way to score runs!!:whiner:

PaleHoseGeorge
09-17-2005, 10:06 PM
...To say we have 3 pitchers who may dominate is true, but it is equally true that we have 3 who may not produce. It is painfully obvious by our performance recently. To say we have 3 who WILL dominate no matter what is delusional. I'm a fan, a hopeful one at that, but one who has been basing his opinion on the results of the season so far, not on hopes and dreams.

Most playoff teams have 3 or fewer quality starters. I certainly like having the rest of our rotation available in the 'pen because they can't help but make our late inning defense that much better.

The Sox have a strong pitching staff. It doesn't figure to be our Achilles heel in a short series.

Palehose13
09-17-2005, 10:07 PM
Great analogy. I've just been a little pissed off. I think this team is better than how they've been playing, but I can't stand to watch garbage ball. Short pop-ups are the best way to score runs!!:whiner:

We feel your pain, we really do. The next two weeks are going to be tough and depending on how much you love the team...stressful. I'm up for it. I'm ready to go. I wish I could suit up...but then that would pretty much seal their fate and no one woud liek the result. :wink: I suppose I could be the bat-woman, but I would fear the wrath of bafiarocks! :D:

Brian26
09-17-2005, 10:08 PM
Most playoff teams have 3 or fewer quality starters. I certainly like having the rest of our rotation available in the 'pen because they can't help but make our late inning defense that much better.

The Sox have a strong pitching staff. It doesn't figure to be our Achilles heel in a short series.

If Ozzie plays his cards correctly and paid attention to Trader Jack in the 2003 playoffs, we're going to be in REALLY good shape. Use YOUR BEST GUNS in tight situations. We won't be seeing Viz coming out of the pen in the 8th inning of Game 5. Hopefully, we'll see one of the starters.

Too bad Dusty didn't use this method of managing (Dave Veres? :bandance: ):whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

MRKARNO
09-17-2005, 10:11 PM
And don't forget, the beauty of the postseason is that you don't have to rely on all of your starters as well. Freddy Garcia is having some major consistancy issues right now. El Duque appears to be ineffective going forward. But we can get around that, easily.

Contreras has a 2.33 ERA since August 1st. What's wrong with that? He could start for us in October.

McCarthy has been dominating everyone lately, including good offenses. He does not have the postseason experience, but he's pitched in the Cubs-Sox series at Wrigley, in Texas at one of the hardest places to pitch in the AL, in Fenway Park and against Anaheim at home. He has been in playoff atmostpheres before, just not the playoffs themselves.

Buehrle has not been as effective lately, but Buehrle is Buehrle. He can turn things around pretty quickly. Anyone else remember how dominant he was in the early going?

Garland just pitched 8 innings with 1 ER last night in a very big game. Of late he's been inconsistant, but that's rare for him. I think we can still count on him, possibly starting him for game 1.

Freddy and El Duque? You dont need them. If Freddy turns it around, fine, but if not we have 6 major league starters on our roster and we can pick and chose who we will use in the postseason. We could go to a 3 man rotation if it were necessary. Our 3 or 4 top starters at any given time are going to be better than probably any other team in the AL.

Now let's worry about getting there because things are going to be fine and dandy if we do get there.

Jurr
09-17-2005, 10:11 PM
I don't underestimate it when I see it. I see it in contreras lately and in Garland today. To say we have 3 pitchers who may dominate is true, but it is equally true that we have 3 who may not produce. It is painfully obvious by our performance recently. To say we have 3 who WILL dominate no matter what is delusional. I'm a fan, a hopeful one at that, but one who has been basing his opinion on the results of the season so far, not on hopes and dreams.
Great attitude to have there. That's the attitude that winners have.

This goes WAY beyond baseball....and I'm very sad to hear some fellow Sox fans say this crap. Sometimes you just have to believe.
If you are scared to put yourself out there and hope for the best, you've already lost. I wanted to be a dentist. I had to one application in a pool of 1,000 people, hoping for one of 80 seats. Going up against people who had family in the field, family that made big donations to the school, etc. I got in because of a little belief. Because of hopes and dreams.

Sometimes it's okay to be a little delusional. Sometimes, if you put your neck out there and face the possibility of being really disappointed, you can experience some pretty cool stuff.

This team can catch lightning in a bottle and make some noise. IT CAN HAPPEN. If you don't believe that it can happen, there's no point in even watching the games, because in your mind it's already over. Some of us have a little more faith that the best is coming.

Call us delusional. Call us crazy. We'll see what happens. I'm pumped, not scared. I hope you've got a little bit of belief in you. We'd love to have you along for the ride.

JRIG
09-17-2005, 10:14 PM
And don't forget, the beauty of the postseason is that you don't have to rely on all of your starters as well. Freddy Garcia is having some major consistancy issues right now. El Duque appears to be ineffective going forward. But we can get around that, easily.

Contreras has a 2.33 ERA since August 1st. What's wrong with that? He could start for us in October.

McCarthy has been dominating everyone lately, including good offenses. He does not have the postseason experience, but he's pitched in the Cubs-Sox series at Wrigley, in Texas at one of the hardest places to pitch in the AL, in Fenway Park and against Anaheim at home. He has been in playoff atmostpheres before, just not the playoffs themselves.

Buehrle has not been as effective lately, but Buehrle is Buehrle. He can turn things around pretty quickly. Anyone else remember how dominant he was in the early going?

Garland just pitched 8 innings with 1 ER last night in a very big game. Of late he's been inconsistant, but that's rare for him. I think we can still count on him, possibly starting him for game 1.

Freddy and El Duque? You dont need them. If Freddy turns it around, fine, but if not we have 6 major league starters on our roster and we can pick and chose who we will use in the postseason. We could go to a 3 man rotation if it were necessary. Our 3 or 4 top starters at any given time are going to be better than probably any other team in the AL.

Now let's worry about getting there because things are going to be fine and dandy if we do get there.

How can anyone not be excited right now? When the playoffs start, it's just a race to 11 victories. And we've got the horses in the pitching staff to pull things out in a short series. And should we happen to fail, we'll still have had 6 (6!) games head-to-head in the last two weeks to determine a victor. That's exciting baseball!! Would I rather we already clinched? Of course.

But the same people bitching now are the ones who were pissed of in 2000 that we clinched too early and got out of our normal rhythm. Win by 2 games, or win by 20 games. No pleasing them.

soxjim
09-17-2005, 10:17 PM
Sure the team is not playing well. If SOX fans can't get fired up for the series with cleveland they may not be fans. I'm pumped up because I found a sports bar to watch the game while I'm out of town for the nextweek. Go SOX

Jurr
09-17-2005, 10:18 PM
How can anyone not be excited right now? When the playoffs start, it's just a race to 11 victories. And we've got the horses in the pitching staff to pull things out in a short series. And should we happen to fail, we'll still have had 6 (6!) games head-to-head in the last two weeks to determine a victor. That's exciting baseball!! Would I rather we already clinched? Of course.

But the same people bitching now are the ones who were pissed of in 2000 that we clinched too early and got out of our normal rhythm. Win by 2 games, or win by 20 games. No pleasing them.
All I see this as is a way for the Sox to get enough piss and vinegar built up to actually perform well in the playoffs. It's one of those weird "means to an end" things that has seemed to fall in place all year.

ja1022
09-17-2005, 10:18 PM
Do you remember 2003? Sox win the first of a four game set against Minnesota but lose the next three. Season over, for all intents and purposes. I'm still an optimist. **** the pessimists. Tomorrow, maybe Lima and the Royals steal one from Sabathia and the Indians and Contreras and the Sox take care of business. Then the Sox go to Cleveland, get some timely hits, and Garcia, Buerhle and Garland take care of Millwood, Westbrook and Elerton. Cleveland is 7.5 back and done; swagger gone. Sox win the division by a comfortable margin, and all is right with the world. What? It can't happen? Bull****. It can.

At the very least, look for the Sox to go to Cleveland up 3.5 and take two of three leaving the number at a very manageable seven. Have fun everybody. This sure beats talking about next year.

JRIG
09-17-2005, 10:19 PM
Sure the team is not playing well. If SOX fans can't get fired up for the series with cleveland they may not be fans. I'm pumped up because I found a sports bar to watch the game while I'm out of town for the nextweek. Go SOX

Jim -- When you get back in town, drop me a line. I need to watch the upcoming playoffs games with some Sox fans in the Rockford area.

paciorek1983
09-17-2005, 10:20 PM

This goes WAY beyond baseball....and I'm very sad to hear some fellow Sox fans say this crap. Sometimes you just have to believe.
If you are scared to put yourself out there and hope for the best, you've already lost. I wanted to be a dentist. I had to one application in a pool of 1,000 people, hoping for one of 80 seats. Going up against people who had family in the field, family that made big donations to the school, etc. I got in because of a little belief. Because of hopes and dreams.

Sometimes it's okay to be a little delusional. Sometimes, if you put your neck out there and face the possibility of being really disappointed, you can experience some pretty cool stuff.

This team can catch lightning in a bottle and make some noise. IT CAN HAPPEN. If you don't believe that it can happen, there's no point in even watching the games, because in your mind it's already over. Some of us have a little more faith that the best is coming.

Call us delusional. Call us crazy. We'll see what happens. I'm pumped, not scared. I hope you've got a little bit of belief in you. We'd love to have you along for the ride.

Well, you know, you're right. If you base it off faith, you have nothing to worry about. And I know that. I've just been basing it off of the last two months and I have not liked what I've seen at all. And I've felt that I've wasted my time. I know when the whole team is on, noone can beat them, they just haven't done that very much the last two month. Maybe they get it together, and at least make it fun to watch again.

SluggersAway
09-17-2005, 10:25 PM

If you are scared to put yourself out there and hope for the best, you've already lost.

This post is such BS, I'm talking about analyzing baseball, not your or my personal life. I could rattle off a ton of things I've achieved in my life, but I won't embarass you. Sure you have to believe, but in yourself. I can't control this team. You can't either. I just call what I've seen so far. If I was scared to put myself out I wouldn't have graduated honors from the top Ivy league school. Hopes and dreams can take you far in your own life, but it has no bearing on the Sox schedule. That is my only point. Have faith in your own life, but this team will accomplish what they will based on their will and ability not your or any other fans dream. Sox fans don't believe in curses or superstitions, they believe in results, so lets see it. We aren't scared as you'd like to believe, we like living in reality. I'm pumped, I believe, and I'm ready for the ride. so let's see what happens.

MRKARNO
09-17-2005, 10:25 PM
And let's debunk a popular baseball myth:

Newton's first law (objects in motion tend to stay in motion and objects at rest tend to stay at rest) has no application in baseball.

Although we lost 11 or so games off the lead, that does not mean that the losing ways and lead-blowing ways will continue all the way to different teams winning and losing a division. There is the possiblity that they tie us and we win the last game anyways and still end up with homefield advantage throughout the playoffs! So the lesson to be learned here is that this is baseball, not physics and most teams that lose large portions of their leads make the playoffs in spite of that.

Jerry_Manuel
09-17-2005, 10:26 PM
Do you remember 2003? Sox win the first of a four game set against Minnesota but lose the next three. Season over, for all intents and purposes. I'm still an optimist. **** the pessimists. Tomorrow, maybe Lima and the Royals steal one from Sabathia and the Indians and Contreras and the Sox take care of business. Then the Sox go to Cleveland, get some timely hits, and Garcia, Buerhle and Garland take care of Millwood, Westbrook and Elerton. Cleveland is 7.5 back and done; swagger gone. Sox win the division by a comfortable margin, and all is right with the world. What? It can't happen? Bull****. It can.

At the very least, look for the Sox to go to Cleveland up 3.5 and take two of three leaving the number at a very manageable seven. Have fun everybody. This sure beats talking about next year.

The Tribe series that starts on Monday is here in Chicago.

Jurr
09-17-2005, 10:28 PM

Newton's first law (objects in motion tend to stay in motion and objects at rest tend to stay at rest) has no application in baseball.

Although we lost 11 or so games off the lead, that does not mean that the losing ways and lead-blowing ways will continue all the way to different teams winning and losing a division. There is the possiblity that they tie us and we win the last game anyways and still end up with homefield advantage throughout the playoffs! So the lesson to be learned here is that this is baseball, not physics and most teams that lose large portions of their leads make the playoffs in spite of that.
Great point. I love it. Couldn't have been said better.

Jurr
09-17-2005, 10:32 PM
I'm pumped, I believe, and I'm ready for the ride. so let's see what happens.
Didn't mean to offend you at all, champ.
I am just very happy to see that you're not freaking out like a lot of the people on this board.

DGeneral
09-17-2005, 10:34 PM
I have some concerns about the White Sox being able to stop the Indians. The White Sox are in one of their classic free falls which couldn't have happened at a worse time of the season. The Indians on the other hand are peaking at the right time. Their pitching has been dominating of late and they have kept pace with the Yankees in the WC race while creeping up on the division lead.

I could easily see the Indians winning 2 of 3 and leaving Chicago within 1-2 games down.

ja1022
09-17-2005, 10:35 PM
The Tribe series that starts on Monday is here in Chicago.

Oops. To quote those guys on the Score, "too drinkey" tonight. Thanks. That's what the tickets say too. That's even better.

Palehose13
09-17-2005, 10:37 PM
I have some concerns about the White Sox being able to stop the Indians. The White Sox are in one of their classic free falls which couldn't have happened at a worse time of the season. The Indians on the other hand are peaking at the right time. Their pitching has been dominating of late and they have kept pace with the Yankees in the WC race while creeping up on the division lead.

I could easily see the Indians winning 2 of 3 and leaving Chicago within 1-2 games down.

Classic free fall? :?: I did not know the Sox were "known" for this.

SluggersAway
09-17-2005, 10:39 PM

Although we lost 11 or so games off the lead, that does not mean that the losing ways and lead-blowing ways will continue all the way to different teams winning and losing a division.

Wrong again. Newtonian physics do apply to baseball, especially to the ball in play. You are mistaking physics with pseudoscience associated with voodoo. You aren't debunking myths, but perpetrating them.

If you don't believe me, take a look at the pitcher as he sends the ball into the catcher's mit.

kitekrazy
09-17-2005, 10:41 PM
The reason why I started this thread, the reason why I am excited is because the Sox get to challenge the challengers head-on. There will be no "they got in cause they played so and so". This is it. If the Sox can't seal the deal in the next week they don't deserve to be in the playoffs and I can handle that. However, I think this team is too good not to be.

It does bring an opportunity to see what some of these players are made of and next week will only be the start-not the end. It also gives Kenny and Ozzie an opportunity to make evaluations for next season.

My biggest concern is if the Sox miss the playoffs which direction will Reinsdorf go? Retooling or a fire sale?

MRKARNO
09-17-2005, 10:41 PM
And while I'm at it, let me pose this question:

The Chicago Orphans (a former name of the Chicago NL team) is 13 games up on August 1st
The Boston Somersets (a former name of the Boston AL team) is 1 game up on this same date and they are both in different divisions

On September 20th, the Orphans are 4 games up and the Somersets are 3 games up. Who has the better chance of making the playoffs? Obviously the Orphans because they have a larger lead! This is where the White Sox are. The teams on the East Coast with payrolls larger than the GDP of many third-world countries are significantly less likely to make the playoffs. Same with the West Coast teams. Boston and the Angels both have 1.5 game leads. We are by far in better shape than them.

MRKARNO
09-17-2005, 10:44 PM
Wrong again. Newtonian physics do apply to baseball, especially to the ball in play. You are mistaking physics with pseudoscience associated with voodoo. You aren't debunking myths, but perpetrating them.

If you don't believe me, take a look at the pitcher as he sends the ball into the catcher's mit.

You missed the point! Physics play a huge role in the game itself, but Newton's first law does not apply to baseball standings! Baseball teams are not projectiles or falling objects, they're a group of human beings playing a game whose actions are governed by the laws of physics. Newton's first law has no bearing on where teams appear on page 96 of the Sun Times.

SluggersAway
09-17-2005, 10:46 PM
[moderator edit]

You're really on the cusp here. Watch out.

Palehose13
09-17-2005, 10:51 PM
Quite juvenile and ridiculous Palehose13. How did you get so far in life? I hope you are proud of yourself. I won't even give you the benefit of an articulate response.

It was fitting for what it was in reply to. First you mock my thread, and then pages later say that you are excited. I don't get it.

SluggersAway
09-17-2005, 10:52 PM

kitekrazy
09-17-2005, 10:52 PM

It's important to win at least 1 of the games. Cleveland only gains a game. A sweep by them is the worst scenario. If they get swept it will be some nice breathing room and help the team gain that overrated thing called momentum.

MRKARNO
09-17-2005, 10:55 PM
I get it MRK

Well that's news in light of your previous posts.

SluggersAway
09-17-2005, 10:58 PM
Palehose13,

I wasn't mocking your thread just some of the responses. I am eager to see the Sox response to this next series, it is clearly similiar to a playoff series. I could do without the bathroom antics though and I'm sure others could as well.

My misunderstanding and mistake, quite sorry, never wanted that kind of a response. All the best and enjoy.

SouthSide_HitMen
09-17-2005, 11:01 PM
I am excited. We will take 2 or 3 from the Tribe this week. I will be even more excited when we knock them out of the wild card hunt in the final weekend to shut their fans up and set the plate for the Yankees and Red Cubs in the playoffs which will give us prime billing and allow Sox fans not to have to skip work. Plus we will destroy the morale in Bristol and probably piss off the Fox executives who blacked us out today to boot.

I'll see you at the ballpark Monday and Wednesday (probably pick up Tuesday tickets as well). I want to witness the scalping of the Tribe live and enjoy the sad looks on the Cleveland transplants who will be in our park thinking they were the best team when throughout the entire season we have led the American League and will continue to do so through the regular season and beyond.

I'm sick of the defeatist attitude on this board as well. The next dark cloud that pouts point them out lets get them out of here YOU DON'T LIVE IN CLEVELAND, YOU LIVE IN CHICAGO!

SluggersAway
09-17-2005, 11:01 PM
Well that's news in light of your previous posts.

I get it inspite of your mangled jargon. It still doesn't tell us anything new. Newton and the dynamics of the standings are dissimilar.

MRKARNO
09-17-2005, 11:09 PM
Palehose13,

I wasn't mocking your thread just some of the responses. I am eager to see the Sox response to this next series, it is clearly similiar to a playoff series. I could do without the bathroom antics though and I'm sure others could as well.

My misunderstanding and mistake, quite sorry, never wanted that kind of a response. All the best and enjoy.

My apologies too, then. I was wrong to put you in with the "WE R DEFINITELY GOIN 2 BLOW IT" bunch. We just have way too many folks like that here and they just do not get it. Overreactions are common when there is so much stupid garbage being thrown around this board.

TomBradley72
09-18-2005, 01:20 AM
I'll be there!

I've been a fan since 1971...in 34 years of following the White Sox...they have NEVER played a series this big at home in late September. These three nights are what its all about. We say we are great, knowledgable, passionate fans on the south side.

This is the week we prove it.:cool:

jake27
09-18-2005, 01:29 AM
excited isnt the word for me. im nervous and dissapointed because i really didnt want it to come to this, we should still be 10ish games up. but i feel the white sox will do well, but i cnt help but worry

Vernam
09-18-2005, 10:16 AM
The reason why I started this thread, the reason why I am excited is because the Sox get to challenge the challengers head-on. There will be no "they got in cause they played so and so". This is it. If the Sox can't seal the deal in the next week they don't deserve to be in the playoffs and I can handle that. However, I think this team is too good not to be.I agree with all that, except for the part about being able to handle it if we don't make the playoffs. Unless by "handle" you meant refrain from doing bodily harm. That, I can promise. But inanimate objects would not be safe. :redface:

I STILL believe it won't come to that, though. The Sox will snap out of this funk, and the only question is just when. I've never been so glad to see Contreras queued up, that's for sure.

An unexpected benefit of the crappy media coverage since April is that today's Sunday Trib doesn't seem like anything out of the ordinary. Hmmm, four or five articles ridiculing the Sox? Not too different from July. I can handle that! But my wife just showed up w/ the Sun-Times and warned me not to even glance at Moronotti's vomitus.

Go Sox!!!!!!!! We've gotta pack the Cell this whole week.

VC

TomBradley72
09-18-2005, 11:00 AM
Go Sox!!!!!!!! We've gotta pack the Cell this whole week.

VC

I just checked ticketmaster....tons of tickets (albeit upper deck) left for this series. Whether its marketing, the ballpark, the strike, the economy, whatever....if Sox fans don't pack the place and pour energy into this team...when they need it most...we aren't living up to our reputation as passionate fans who will rally for a winner.

Ol' No. 2
09-18-2005, 11:03 AM
I just checked ticketmaster....tons of tickets (albeit upper deck) left for this series. Whether its marketing, the ballpark, the strike, the economy, whatever....if Sox fans don't pack the place and pour energy into this team...when they need it most...we aren't living up to our reputation as passionate fans who will rally for a winner.[shakes head]

TheDarkGundam
09-20-2005, 03:02 PM
I'd love to get tickets to either this series or the next, but my dad is so nervous about this he can't even stand to watch the Sox on TV.