PDA

View Full Version : Phil Rogers continues his downward spiral into idiocy

fquaye149
09-17-2005, 02:45 AM
From the Cubune:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-050916rogers,1,5414445.column?coll=cs-home-utility

I know he's posted here in the past and everything, but article after article gets more ridiculous. What a troll. I mean, give me a ****ing break.

for instance here's an excerpt from his article

For the record, they have won eight of the last nine times Marte has pitched, including five in a row.

Ignoring the fact that Marte has pitched like CRAP in most of those appearances and, especially against the Royals, they have won IN SPITE of his pathetic pitching, it completely skirts the issue that MARTE was a jackass to Ozzie, disrespected his team in a Sosa-like manner and in the end, ADMITTED HE WAS WRONG.

I appreciate Marte being big enough to swallow his pride, and I appreciate his pitching performance tonight, but Rogers is being a huge jackass in this article.

Consider this excerpt from the game summary.

Marte was late because he took his family to the airport but didn't tell Sox coaches or staff members in advance.

"I got a little emotional and said some things I didn't mean to say," said Marte, who used third-base coach Joey Cora as an interpreter. "But I'm sorry about it."

not only did Marte not bother to inform the Sox he would be late, he mouthed off to Ozzie. Marte admits he was wrong. Kenny didn't seem to have a problem with Ozzie sending Marte back home. Yet Phil Rogers needs to get up on his high horse? This problem seems to have resolved itself. This is not Dusty letting Kent Mercker watch WGN during a BASEBALL GAME, this is not Dusty letting Sosa walk all over his team, this is not Corey Patterson calling his spot in his lineup. This is MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL.

I don't always agree with everything Ozzie does, but he was right on here with Marte. Phil Rogers, who you crappin?

Fuller_Schettman
09-17-2005, 03:22 AM
What a boneheaded article! A fetid, steaming pile of tripe. This is the kind of mediot crap that gets written by an ill-informed muckraker!

And that is precisely what it is: somebody gets the story half-right, throws it together half-fast and tries to create a sense of urgency. As Albert Brooks said in Broadcast News "Nice job, Phil. You really blew the lid off of nooky"

I hope El Duque tosses a shutout tomorrow. Then maybe Rogers can go see Dr. Phil to deal with his angst issues...

Banix12
09-17-2005, 03:52 AM
I like how he doesn't mention that Marte has a higher WHIP than 2005 Chicago flameouts Shingo and Mike Remlinger. He certainly has been blessed with good luck to still have an ERA under 4.

Also, way to imply that the sox 1-3 record in the last four games is a direct result of not having Marte in the pen. Dumbest argument ever.

chuckn98229
09-17-2005, 05:38 AM
tool

harwar
09-17-2005, 08:43 AM
I'm just glad that it has been resolved because one of the key components to a championship season is having a great bullpen.
I'm hoping that Marte will come up big in the post season because we need him too.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-17-2005, 09:13 AM
Meh... this is no big deal. Rogers is only stating the obvious: Williams and Guillen OVERREACTED. Even the Sox admit it. How else do you explain Marte standing on the mound last night? He was supposed to be sent to the DL and shipped out ASAP, remember?

If you want to get your panties in an uproar over today's Cubune, check out their nonsensical graphic on page 1 "A tale of two seasons." It looks like a series of lottery balls and supposedly illustrates how bad the Sox have been in the second half compared to Cleveland. But what it doesn't illustrate is the Sox 10-3 record vs. Cleveland or their 29-11 record over remaining opponents. Or Cleveland's 14-19 record under remaining opponents, either.

If you're looking for a Sox rip job in the Cubune, that's what you ought to be beefing about this morning.

SOXSINCE'70
09-17-2005, 09:42 AM
Downward spiral??

Anyone covering baseball for the Cub-Une was born an idiot!!:D:

Nice job ignoring facts like the ones PHG pointed out in his post,too.
I keep waiting for Maggott-otti and Sleaze-Hack to write the
ultimate choke article as well.

Craig Slouch wrote his yesterday,I guess. :angry:

hawkjt
09-17-2005, 11:22 AM
Basically every guy in the clubhouse said they like Damo and are glad he is back. I think Oz smelled the coffee and realized that he blew this up into more than it needed to be. He did the smart thing and let the players make the decision which he knew would be to let him back in. Kudos to Oz for getting him right out there. It was a big gamble and it paid off. And possibly could pay off for the next 6 weeks. We need a solid Damo in that pen.

Hangar18
09-17-2005, 12:00 PM
I like how he doesn't mention that Marte has a higher WHIP than 2005 Chicago flameouts Shingo and Mike Remlinger. He certainly has been blessed with good luck to still have an ERA under 4.

Also, way to imply that the sox 1-3 record in the last four games is a direct result of not having Marte in the pen. Dumbest argument ever.

I think Rogers was referring to actually having one man short in your bullpen (because Marte is used regularly), anytime you dont have the services of a lefty like him, it doesnt help. I too am glad this is all resolved and were moving forward.

jehosaphat
09-17-2005, 12:09 PM
Irregardless of everything (whether Rogers was off-base or Ozzie over reacted), Marte looked sharp last night. It was only one game and I know it is too soon to say "he's back". But, I don't care if he received electroshock therapy or a frontal lobotomy, if the whole ugly incident turns his head around it was well worth it. Marte has a live arm and we need him if he throws strikes, but (as we all know) Marte's problem was his walks. A reliever who walks batters is a reliever who belongs in Double A ball. You can't have someone doesn't have the "balls" to come into the game and throw strikes.

flo-B-flo
09-17-2005, 12:12 PM
As soon as these assheads start the negativity I quit reading. As for the tv star in the Sun-Times, I quit reading ANYTHING he writes about the Sox.

kitekrazy
09-17-2005, 04:15 PM
Meh... this is no big deal. Rogers is only stating the obvious: Williams and Guillen OVERREACTED. Even the Sox admit it. How else do you explain Marte standing on the mound last night? He was supposed to be sent to the DL and shipped out ASAP, remember?

That's what I got out of it.