PDA

View Full Version : Where's Frank?

RallyBowl
09-16-2005, 11:26 PM
Okay, so I was watching highlights on jokecenter, and I do believe I saw one Tori Hunter in the Twins dugout. The same Tori Hunter who is out for the season, IIRC. So I wondered, why isn't Frank with us?

I'm definitely not implying anything negative here. I am a huge Frank fan, the record will show. But is it out of the question to think that he should be with the team? Not that we need him (if he can't play), but I kind of think it would be cool if he was there, at least for the home games. Now, I understand he lives in Vegas, and I understand he is on a fractured ankle and has trouble getting around. I would just like to think if I was in his large shoes, being with the team at this point in time would be important to me. But I am not him (Damn!).

So, what do you all think? Is there a good reason he is not with the team? Should he be? Am I a moron? Just wondering.

Ol' No. 2
09-17-2005, 12:01 AM
Okay, so I was watching highlights on jokecenter, and I do believe I saw one Tori Hunter in the Twins dugout. The same Tori Hunter who is out for the season, IIRC. So I wondered, why isn't Frank with us?

I'm definitely not implying anything negative here. I am a huge Frank fan, the record will show. But is it out of the question to think that he should be with the team? Not that we need him (if he can't play), but I kind of think it would be cool if he was there, at least for the home games. Now, I understand he lives in Vegas, and I understand he is on a fractured ankle and has trouble getting around. I would just like to think if I was in his large shoes, being with the team at this point in time would be important to me. But I am not him (Damn!).

So, what do you all think? Is there a good reason he is not with the team? Should he be? Am I a moron? Just wondering.I believe he's in LA getting his ankle examined. IIRC he was originally scheduled for early September, but the doctor pushed it back until the 15th.

SouthSide_HitMen
09-17-2005, 12:32 AM
So, what do you all think? Is there a good reason he is not with the team? Should he be? Am I a moron? Just wondering.

IIRC he had trouble flying with his original injury (they let him tele conference the steroid hearings) as it will swell up on him. I would expect him at the playoff games if he can make it.

Nellie_Fox
09-17-2005, 12:55 AM
Make sure you give Torii enough I's in his name.

I was watching on FSN North, the Twins home. They were interviewing Torii (they had him with a headset mic in the dugout.) He had a day off from rehab, so he decided to join the team for the night. He said he will not be with them on their road trip, as he will be back in rehab.

One interesting point from the interview: They asked him about the playoffs, and he responded: "if the White Sox are in the playoffs, I'll be cheering for them. I like Chicago." Dick Bremer (PBP buy) tried to bait him into saying something negative about the Sox "since they like you so much in Chicago" but Torii wasn't buying.

Deadguy
09-17-2005, 01:26 AM
Frank did meet with the team before the Angels series in Chicago. Don't know if he was around for the whole series or not, or whether it's feasible to for him to hang around the dugout and watch the games from there, in uniform. I think Jeff Bagwell was for most of the season, even though he had been out since early May, and had major surgery.

I was hoping he'd be with the team throughout September as well. With his knowledge and expertise of opposing pitchers, his presence would be of some help to the team. Also, if he remains a part of the team in that role, there's a greater chance that KW and JR will bring him back next year, to keep him in the fold.

Deadguy
09-17-2005, 01:40 AM
This article from Sept. 10th seems to shed some more insight on what's going on:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-ssep10.html

Thomas was with the Sox last week on the road in Texas, but he returned to Chicago on Friday to stay a week before his next scheduled exam with his Los Angeles physician.

General manager Ken Williams has said he would like Thomas to be with the team in the playoffs on the bench even if he can't play. But Thomas said he would decline if he is still in a cast.

''If I can move around, I would [be on the bench], but you can't move around [well] in a cast,'' said Thomas, who is wearing a walking cast. ''But I'll be here [during] the playoffs.''

Thomas said he wants to be with his teammates as much as possible as they near the playoffs, which he took part in with Guillen in 1993.
''These guys are going to make it happen,'' Thomas said. ''This strong pitching staff will hold it together. This team has led all year, and it's going to happen shortly. It's a very good team, and Ozzie has held them together.''

knocko94
09-17-2005, 01:47 AM
Big Hurt healing

X-rays taken Thursday revealed bone growth in Frank Thomas' fractured left ankle. Thomas now will have his foot immobilized in a cast.

"The doctor (Richard Ferkel) said as long as he's continuing to see bone growth, he doesn't want to take that next step for surgery," Sox trainer Herm Schneider said.

Schneider also said the bone Thomas originally broke in July 2004 still is healing, which is normal for bones in that location.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050916soxbits1,1,4787856.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

hawkjt
09-17-2005, 10:31 AM
Just stay put ,Hurt , and keep healing. That is the important thing. It is good news that his bone is healing which could mean no surgery. That would allow much easier decision-making in regards to retaining him as he should be well on the way to recovery by Dec.

Come back Frank. we need ya next year.