PDA

View Full Version : Cy Young Caliber Performance

voodoochile
09-16-2005, 11:30 PM
You know if his record and ERA weren't enough to get him into the race, a couple more performances like tonights will go a long way to impress the voters. When The Sox need JG to step up against a divisional opponent that loves to play the Sox late in the season, he did.

If he does this again on Wednesday, there are going to be a LOT of happy fans around these parts.

*tips hat to Garland*

Next guy who calls you Judy gets banned, this I swear on my honor as a Sox fan.

chisoxmike
09-16-2005, 11:34 PM
:gulp:

Reminds me of 83
09-16-2005, 11:38 PM
Tonight was an enormous game and he was up to the task. That it what a stopper does. Here's to JG in a Sox uniform for many more years. :gulp:

PAPChiSox729
09-16-2005, 11:39 PM
Huge performance by Jon tonight. HUGE. A definite 'Way to Go' for Big Jon.

:gulp: :supernana: :gulp:

FedEx227
Ju-....nah

yeah great job by Big Jon, hopefully the rest of the pitching staff minus Conteras were paying attention.

AL Cy Young race is still wide open and who out-performs the others in this last 2 weeks will more than likely determine the victor.

veeter
Garland showed me tonite he can get the juices flowing in a critical spot. His fastball was topping out at 93-94 consistently. His sinker was diving like it did in May and June. I now think he's a gamer. I've always loved his arm and stuff but tonite his HEART was first in line. I'm proud of him. We may look back at this game and.... well, one day at a time.

1951Campbell
09-16-2005, 11:44 PM

I apologized for calling him "Judy" over the last year or two way back in May. :D:

But really...the national media is way too cool for school to consider JG for Cy Young. That's just the way it is.

Vernam
09-17-2005, 12:03 AM
But really...the national media is way too cool for school to consider JG for Cy Young. That's just the way it is.Yeah, if he'd got the W tonight, it might have got him back in the Cy race. But I guarantee he's 10 feet tall w/ his teammates, and that what counts.

My wife (who never posts) was driving me crazy all during the game, complaining about how flat they were. If she did post, she'd get banned as a dark cloud! Anyway, it was Garland's performance that finally convinced her to lighten up. Before anyone asks how I could tolerate her, consider that she's agreed to get season tix two years running now. :wink:

JG was huge, because losing tonight w/ Duque vs. Santana tomorrow would've been sphincter time.

VC

Flight #24
09-17-2005, 12:18 AM
This is the kind of performance and game that can spark the team. It's what they did with regularity early in the year. Hopefully Duque can pull it together and give us another one tomorrow, and/or the Sox bats come out like they did in KC.

Plus, if Duque goes well, Ozzie would have the ability to pitch McCarthy on Monday, giving the rest a day of extra rest.

Ol' No. 2
09-17-2005, 12:22 AM
This is the kind of performance and game that can spark the team. It's what they did with regularity early in the year. Hopefully Duque can pull it together and give us another one tomorrow, and/or the Sox bats come out like they did in KC.

Plus, if Duque goes well, Ozzie would have the ability to pitch McCarthy on Monday, giving the rest a day of extra rest.If it was my choice, I'd pitch McCarthy on Sunday and push Contreras back to pitch against the Toons on Monday. He's been the Sox' most consistent pitcher over the last month. (Let THAT thought sink in for a while.) If Freddy's a no-go on Tuesday, they can pitch Buehrle and Garland on normal rest.

Flight #24
09-17-2005, 12:24 AM
If it was my choice, I'd pitch McCarthy on Sunday and push Contreras back to pitch against the Toons on Monday. He's been the Sox' most consistent pitcher over the last month. (Let THAT thought sink in for a while.) If Freddy's a no-go on Tuesday, they can pitch Buehrle and Garland on normal rest.

I like that idea, plus JC's no stranger to big games with huge attention whereas McCarthy's a rookie. But regardless, it starts with a strong outing from Duque tomorrow.

Ol' No. 2
09-17-2005, 12:36 AM
I like that idea, plus JC's no stranger to big games with huge attention whereas McCarthy's a rookie. But regardless, it starts with a strong outing from Duque tomorrow.That may be what's holding things back. If Dookie craters early he'll need McCarthy for long relief. Or maybe he wants to use McCarthy against the Toons because they haven't seen him before. :dunno:

fquaye149
09-17-2005, 12:46 AM
You know if his record and ERA weren't enough to get him into the race, a couple more performances like tonights will go a long way to impress the voters. When The Sox need JG to step up against a divisional opponent that loves to play the Sox late in the season, he did.

If he does this again on Wednesday, there are going to be a LOT of happy fans around these parts.

*tips hat to Garland*

uh oh - somebody better warn PHG! :redneck

24thStFan
09-17-2005, 11:08 AM
Way to go, Jon. Joe Crede and the defense deserve a hand, too. Good win! let's go get the Twinkies again today.

hawkjt
09-17-2005, 11:18 AM
I could not care less about the cy. What I do care about is that JonnyG stepped up last nite in the biggest game of his career and of the season for the team. He has stopped the bleeding. Now, if only Santanas fingers would start bleeding from those blisters then we might beat him once out of the two time we face him in the next 6 days. I can live with that.

Hangar18
09-17-2005, 02:20 PM
What a GUTSY performance by Jonny. Im still fuming that he didnt get the victory, he should have 20 now .............. I agree, he does deserve CY YOUNG mention now ........hes earned it.