PDA

View Full Version : *OFFICIAL* Juan & the Magic Bunt Postgame thread 9/16/05

buehrle4cy05
09-16-2005, 11:00 PM
A nice, long game where every play matters...I like this.

buehrle4cy05
09-16-2005, 11:01 PM
Oh yeah, a win's a win, a loss's a loss (and a bat's a bat, even if it's flat:tongue:)

Magic # to 12!!!

cheeses_h_rice
WE WON!

12!!!

Viva Medias B's
All I have to say tonight is this:

:supernana:

gosox3072
09-16-2005, 11:02 PM
EXACTLY what this team needs!

Brian26
He went with Marte and won.

:winner

tifosiv122
For some reason my MLB.com and Yahoo both stopped at bases loaded No outs (t-10)...then it said in play, out recorded...and that was it. Luckily MSN kept the game going. Nice win.

Erik

Chisox353014
I luuuuvvvvv that gunt! :)

rwschm_bull
kid has ice flowing through his veins.... bases loaded, nobody out, we get one run, and make it stick... !!!

Jurr
http://img147.exs.cx/img147/6184/leonardjackgunt3ff.jpg

SOXfnNlansing
God that was a hard game to watch.... I was squirming the whole game. Crede, wtg:bandance: , I guess we didn't need more than 1 in the 10th!

NewyorkSoxFan
Gunt The Twins And Go Cheese The "gunter"

pczarapa
All I have to say is Jenks is now the #1 closer, he's clearly earned it. Nice job by the Sox to keep their composure.

FielderJones

Now that's the type of pitching we're going to need from now on! Way to go Jon and Bobby (and Damaso!).

Chips
09-16-2005, 11:03 PM
:twinslose

alumbrados
Congrats to Garland on the CY YOUNG effort.

Playoff type win.

The division will soon be ours.

Brian26
Anyone want to guess if Hawk has already hit the trademark/copyright sites to reserve "Bad" Bobby Jenks? :D:

Mohoney
We caught a break in a place where we NEVER, EVER catch a break.

To win a game like that, in the Metrodome of all places, wow.

RallyBowl
09-16-2005, 11:04 PM
:uribe:

"I gunt believe you all doubted me."

SOXfnNlansing
wgt Jenks, 1st major league W:bandance:

Mr. White Sox
Uribe's Magic Gunt says it all about today's game...great stuff!

DieTrying79
Beautiful!! Way to get it done, guys...

chisoxmike
A WIN!!!!

Now win tomorrow.

:bandance:

:twinslose

rwschm_bull
Bobby Jenks has ice in his veins -- never thought it would be easy, but to get only one run out of a bases-loaded nobody out situation, and Ozzie sticks with him and Bobby makes that run stick!

12 - 12 - 12 - 12 - 12

elrod
Huge win with Santana throwing tomorrow. Huge win in a close game at the Metrodome. Huge win where every play mattered. Huge win against a tough rookie. Huge win where Garland returns to form. Huge win for Bobby Jenks. Huge win with Cleveland winning too. Huge win for the team's confidence. Huge win to get the stench of Kansas City out. Huge win to keep the 4.5 game lead. Did I say this was a huge win?

downstairs
09-16-2005, 11:05 PM
Uribe's Magic Gunt says it all about today's game...great stuff!

And what a gunt it was!

:cool:

hose
BAD BOBBY JENKS .....powder river

knocko94
I was a little shocked to see Marte out there, but I definetly expected to see him once I saw him out in the bullpen. Ozzie wouldn't let him back with the team if he was gonna just let him stew.

Crede is finally getting some knocks, that new swing keeps him from popping so much crap up.

Oh yeah, I LOOOOOOOVVVVVEEEEEEEEEE Bobby Jenks.

Roof Shot
Were still in big trouble if our bats don't wake up...

SOXfnNlansing
I guess we won't be seeing WSBob tonight in here :redneck

kubsblo
Why couldn't Podsednik work the count instead of swinging at that 3-1 pitch?

voodoochile
:winner:

:supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :supernana: :bandance:

Not much more to say than that...

Great win. I think this is going to have a huge carryover effect. Marte is back with the team and pitched well. Jenks closed it out throwing nothing but smoke.

Ozzie hands off and let them play... Now let's end the talk. 12 more wins and the division is ours. Sweep the tribe... it's over...

Cellview22
09-16-2005, 11:06 PM
12! :)

Garland was lights out tonight! And I love the title to this thread.. Classic! :D:

downstairs
My confidence growing....

larger

(a little bit)

Chisox353014
We caught a break in a place where we NEVER, EVER catch a break.

To win a game like that, in the Metrodome of all places, wow.

Well, we're 5-2 in the Dome this year. Maybe our luck is changing.

RallyBowl
09-16-2005, 11:07 PM

I cannot believe that is all you could say.:darkcloud:

Jurr
If that isn't teal soon, there should be a quick hook on this puppy.

soxfan26
Stand up and say it with me

I LOVE THEM SOX!!!

hose
WELCOME BACK DAMASO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:bandance::bandanc e::bandance::bandance:

SOXfnNlansing
Were still in big trouble if our bats don't wake up... WSBob, is that you?:angry:

itsnotrequired
09-16-2005, 11:08 PM
All I have to say is Jenks is now the #1 closer, he's clearly earned it. Nice job by the Sox to keep their composure.

I loved Jenks fist pump after the game. Boo-ya!:bandance:

Over By There
09-16-2005, 11:08 PM
We (Sox and fans) needed this. Great job by Jon, Damaso and Bobby.

(exhales) :smile:

SouthSide_HitMen
09-16-2005, 11:09 PM
:threadrules: Don't party too hard boys & girls - Early game tomorrow.

Good Night & Sweet White Sox winning dreams!!!

Fuller_Schettman
09-16-2005, 11:09 PM
Guys, I hate to be a dark cloud, but the run Crede scored does not count
in the shoota scorebook. This game ended in a tie.

RallyBowl
09-16-2005, 11:10 PM

Roofshot and Kubsblo?

:deadtrolls

Show 'em the door.

cbone
I can exhale now! Just what the doctor ordered!!! Let's get them tomorrow!!!

Huisj
Wow that was a nice win.

I had a crappy meeting with a prof who doesn't seem to like me this morning, I blew out a bike tire on my way home which made me half to walk my bike home in the drizzle and eventually led to me locking myself out of my apartment and car with no phone (long stupid story of how clumsy I am sometimes) and I had to miss going to do something i wanted to do tonight because of it . . .

but the sox won a great game, so I'm feeling a little happier now. :smile:

Roof Shot
WSBob, is that you?:angry:

If you all want to get excited about our huge 6 hit attack go ahead...I'm still taking a careful approach... We have Santana tomorrow, how many hits will be get off of him?

Cellview22
I loved Jenks fist pump after the game. Boo-ya!:bandance:

I was just gonna say that. Now if that doesn't put a major spark in this team, nothing will. The whole team has to be seriously pumped right now.

cheeses_h_rice
I will say that I thought using Marte in the 9th was just an awful move by Ozzie, but in retrospect, I think he was telling Marte and the entire team that we have to let it all hang out on the line if we're going to win this damn division. My gunt told me that Marte would blow it, but he didn't, so major props to Damaso for being a real mang and coming back in style.

:thumbsup:

SOXfnNlansing
09-16-2005, 11:11 PM
Why couldn't Podsednik work the count instead of swinging at that 3-1 pitch? sniff sniff, I smell something rotten with this poster:angry:

Jurr
09-16-2005, 11:11 PM
the MAGIC GUNT. Wow.

cheeses_h_rice
09-16-2005, 11:12 PM
Nuts.

Thread title got changed.

:(:

MarySwiss
09-16-2005, 11:12 PM

Please shut up. If you do not understand just how big this win was, you're at the wrong Web site.

veeter
09-16-2005, 11:13 PM
How many first place teams can say they're on their THIRD closer for the year. I love Jenks. I'm so happy they won because this may break the tightness seal. Good job guys. Wipe those cheesy grins off those Twins' faces.

SOXfnNlansing
If you all want to get excited about our huge 6 hit attack go ahead...I'm still taking a careful approach... We have Santana tomorrow, how many hits will be get off of him? I bet you don't last the night:dtroll:

TornLabrum
And what a gunt it was!

I'm just thankful that it was misspelled with a g.

soxfan26

:?: ***?

I gun't believe you don't have one nice thing to say.

Huisj
09-16-2005, 11:14 PM
I must have missed it since the game wasn't on tv here and I couldn't get crap for a radio signal tonight, but can someone explain the magic "gunt" to me? Did Uribe hit the ball with his stomach or something??

Roof Shot
09-16-2005, 11:14 PM
Please shut up. If you do not understand just how big this win was, you're at the wrong Web site.

It is a huge win, but if you want to live in a fantasy land cub world thats your problem. The fact is that this team is still struggling to put it all together. They need to build on this and get the bats going.

Fuller_Schettman
09-16-2005, 11:15 PM
Reasons to be cheerful (Part III):

*We are now 11-1 in extra inning games on the road. (0-6 at home)

*Yet another 1-run victory. Now 31-17 in 1-run games and 52-30 in games decided by 2 runs or less.

*We have now won 13 games in which we scored 1 or 2 runs.

*9-4 on turf. Best in baseball

*47-26 road record. Best in baseball.

Frankfan4life
How do you spell relief? B-O-B-B-Y J-E-N-K-S!

Marte was pretty good, too! I also have to give major props to Jon and Joe.

Wow, this win saved my life...well, my sanity anyway.

I haven't done this:bandance:in a long time...and, boy, does it feel good!!!!!!

rwschm_bull
Jon G -- great outing
seven baserunners in eight innings -- one walk (right after the dinger, and he sucked it right up and got out of the inning without further damage) -- sure they got the lead-off man on early but they were hits, not free passes... one tough pitch up to Jones or we go home a winner in regulation:cool:

Damaso -- Twins announcers (MLB-cast carried the Twin feed tonite) remarked about his fragile confidence -- he threw strikes, made a decent play on the chopper, and Ozzie gave him the attah-boy slap on his way off the mound.. it's a start... :smile:

Bobby J -- biggest game of the season to date, starting off a tough series, and Ozzie sticks with him against Morneau to lead off the 10th. He didn't have the nasty yacker tonight but he's the real deal...:dtroll:

good pitching will take us home....:supernana:

voodoochile
09-16-2005, 11:16 PM

It was a dark and stormy post. The Website moderator eyed his screen with a wild look. The smirk became a sneer and then a twisted grin. He began to chuckle softly, his index finger guiding the cursor to the link for the administrator page. It twitched restlessly aching to release the pent up frustration that bubbled within him. "I must be calm." He thought. "Soon enough the dark clouds will get their payback and the victory will be all the sweeter for the pain you will rain on them." Slowly he eased back off the trigger, contemplating sunny days and being able to type, "GET THE **** OFF MY BANDWAGON, YOU *****!"

:dirtyharry

cheeses_h_rice
I must have missed it since the game wasn't on tv here and I couldn't get crap for a radio signal tonight, but can someone explain the magic "gunt" to me? Did Uribe hit the ball with his stomach or something??

Typo in the chat room, when Juan came to the plate: "gotta gunt here." Much hilarity ensued.

:)

LostInLeftField
Strong leadership move by Guillen to pitch Marte in such a high pressure situation.

I guess Marte stepped up and apologized and in return Guillen stepped up and demonstrated his confidence in reliever.

This move should have positive ripples throughout the entire team.

DrCrawdad
Unlike many of you guys, I've NEVER doubted the '05 White Sox.

I'll just quietly put this away for the night...
http://msrat.tripod.com/jpg/panicbtn.gif

voodoochile
09-16-2005, 11:17 PM

:whocares:

elrod
09-16-2005, 11:17 PM
Who is actually starting tomorrow, by the way? Is El Duque really going up against Santana?

Huisj
09-16-2005, 11:19 PM
Typo in the chat room, when Juan came to the plate: "gotta gunt here." Much hilarity ensued.

ahh, I see, thanks. that's funny

SOXfnNlansing
Strong leadership move by Guillen to pitch Marte in such a high pressure situation.

I guess Marte stepped up and apologized and in return Guillen stepped up and demonstrated his confidence in reliever.

This move should have positive ripples throughout the entire team. I think you're right! We just have to believe that Ozzie knows what he's doing. We need to just believe and quit doubting:bandance:

buehrle4cy05
Time to put this use of "G" instead of "B" to rest.

Goggy Jenks sure got the jog done, getting 4 gatters out in the gottom of the tenth.

soxfan26
Who is actually starting tomorrow, by the way? Is El Duque really going up against Santana?

Looks that way. My advice to you is to sit back have a :gulp:and worry about that game tomorrow afternoon.

Cellview22
09-16-2005, 11:21 PM
We should start calling him "The Bishop Magic Juan".. From Pimp Stick to Bunting, it's magic.. :D:

Fuller_Schettman
09-16-2005, 11:23 PM
It was a dark and stormy post. The Website moderator eyed his screen with a wild look. The smirk became a sneer and then a twisted grin. He began to chuckle softly, his index finger guiding the cursor to the link for the administrator page. It twitched restlessly aching to release the pent up frustration that bubbled within him. "I must be calm." He thought. "Soon enough the dark clouds will get their payback and the victory will be all the sweeter for the pain you will rain on them." Slowly he eased back off the trigger, contemplating sunny days and being able to type, "GET THE **** OFF MY BANDWAGON, YOU *****!"

:dirtyharry

Do you mind if I use this for my next Penthouse Forum letter?
:redneck

MRKARNO
09-16-2005, 11:24 PM
The key to this game: One of our big three actually pitching like someone who would deserve being called one of the best pitchers in the AL. 8 IP 1 ER for Garland. Hopefully this will signal better things for the starting pitching in general. We have never been able to score a ton of runs this year (we were up to average with Thomas in the lineup), but we won because of starting pitching. Contreras, McCarthy and Garland may end up being our big 3 down the stretch, but I'll take any 3 good starters at this point. The pitching had been brutal lately. If it picks up, so will the White Sox.

TornLabrum
09-16-2005, 11:25 PM
I have to admit, having lived through the end of the '67 season, that my confidence in this club has been wavering as Cleveland has continued (even tonight) to win. As one who abhors the entire concept of Wild Card, I don't want to go in that way. I want to go in after demolishing our division. Right now I'll settle for winning it by one game. (Remember, George, I grew up with two eight-teaim leagues and no playoffs. When my guys won in '59 the AL pennant, they did it the old fashioned way - by having the best record in the league. Winning a Wild Card is like French kissing your mother.)

The best part about tonight is that we:

a) beat the Twinkies on their turf;
b) lowered the magic number to 12 to actually win the freakin' division;
c) maintained our 4.5 game lead over the Indians one game closer to the end of the regular season;
d) all of the above.

Chisox353014
09-16-2005, 11:30 PM
The key to this game: One of our big three actually pitching like someone who would deserve being called one of the best pitchers in the AL. 8 IP 1 ER for Garland. Hopefully this will signal better things for the starting pitching in general. We have never been able to score a ton of runs this year (we were up to average with Thomas in the lineup), but we won because of starting pitching. Contreras, McCarthy and Garland may end up being our big 3 down the stretch, but I'll take any 3 good starters at this point. The pitching had been brutal lately. If it picks up, so will the White Sox.

The pitching has definitely tended to go in cycles this year. Hopefully Garland stepping it up will trickle down to El Duque tomorrow, and we'll get one of those stretches where all the starters are lights-out for awhile.

chisoxmike
09-16-2005, 11:31 PM

Yep.

:ozzie
"I make de ****ing lineups."

billyvsox
09-16-2005, 11:33 PM
Random thoughts about this BIG TIME WIN:

1) WHEW!!!

2) Great outing by JG, too bad he couldn't get the win, but thats not important in the big picture. It is games like this that should help hi Cy Young candidacy, along with Colon's blow up last night in a big game for the Halo's. (But it Wont)

3) It wasn't pretty but Joe Crede isn't afraid to get game winning hits.

4) If Scotty Po cant steal 2nd anymore, I suggest we bunt him to 2nd and let him steal 3rd instead.

5) Jacque "bleeping" Jones is killing me!

6) Who was that lefty on the bump for us to start the 9th? (All is well in the clubhouse I guess).

7) When Jenks threw the 2-2 slider to LeCroy, I almost threw up. Just blow them away Bobby.

8) Should be looser for Johan tommorrow, I smell a victory.

9) Whats up with the 2:30 deadline to finish tommorrows game. With El Duke on the bump there is no way we finish in 3hrs and 20 min. I guess we will have to finish Sunday and win 2.

10) Lets be aggressive and BLEEP the other team. (T-Shirts coming soon)

ChiSoxGirl
09-16-2005, 11:33 PM
MERCY! We SO needed this win tonight! I was on pins & needles the entire night... could hardly concentrate on writing my lesson plans for next week! Jenks was awesome and big props go out to Garland for having his first quality start in his last six appearances.
We've got a quick turn-around tomorrow, so let's go get 'em by 2p! :bandance:

chisoxmike
09-16-2005, 11:37 PM
9) Whats up with the 2:30 deadline to finish tommorrows game. With El Duke on the bump there is no way we finish in 3hrs and 20 min.

***? When did you hear this? 2:30 is cutting it close.

infohawk
09-16-2005, 11:37 PM
See guys, I followed my temporary new policy of not watching the game and I get to enjoy a win without having to go through the heartburn!!! It wasn't televised down here anyway. 89 wins. Next stop is 90 and then on from there!!! I will admit that I checked the score on the ESPN ticker earlier tonight and when I saw it was tied at one in the 8th I thought, "oh no." I had flashbacks to all of the close games we have lost over the last few years in the Metrodome, particularly the one we lost 1-0 with Freddy almost throwing a no-no. Hopefully this win is a sign that things are looking up. GO SOX!!!

Believe it or not, I have a very good friend who is a Cub fans of all things and he is actually trying to keep my spirits up. He keeps telling me to just take one game at a time at this point. When I ranted and raved after yesterday's loss in an e-mail he told me to calm down because things weren't as bad as I thought they were.

Funny story. He was actually at the infamous Bartman game. I saw him on television during a crowd shot about half an inning before the meltdown. He's still a big-time Cub fan, but says that he probably won't go up to Chicago for another game "until the Cubs are five outs away from the World Series again."

billyvsox
09-16-2005, 11:39 PM
The Metrodome has to be cleared and reset for the Minnesota College Football game tommorrow night. They did this last year as well for a game vs. the Toons. Nice scheduling, huh! I read it on either Whitesox.com or Twins.com in the their daily notes.

1951Campbell
09-16-2005, 11:40 PM
So, all you momentum junkies...do we have momentum yet?

infohawk
09-16-2005, 11:40 PM
Winning a Wild Card is like French kissing your mother.)

Hal, I think right about now many of us would be asking our moms if she wanted to apply lipstick before she puckered up!:D:

beckett21
09-16-2005, 11:41 PM
Hmmm...where's Lip? :redneck

Guess someone's tired after spamming the site last night. :tongue:

Enough contemplating the negatives and the naysayers. Great win by our boys tonight. Excellent job by Jon, Damaso and Bobby. Tomorrow afternoon, the Sox will show Johan who's in charge. No doubt about it. Believe people, believe.

To all those that have already abandoned ship, I say :neener: If you can't handle the rough waters, stay off the boat.

infohawk
09-16-2005, 11:42 PM
It is a huge win, but if you want to live in a fantasy land cub world thats your problem. The fact is that this team is still struggling to put it all together. They need to build on this and get the bats going.

Agreed. A loss tonight might have been like a Jonestown reunion on this board.

buehrle4cy05
09-16-2005, 11:45 PM
***? When did you hear this? 2:30 is cutting it close.

Man, the Twins are incompetent. Can't they talk to MLB and get the whole series switched so they don't have to be rushed by a college FB game?

infohawk
09-16-2005, 11:46 PM
This is exactly why it is so tough to be a manager. If Marte had given it up everybody would be saying, "What the hell was Ozzie thinking. He's killing us. Marte sucks. Fire Ozzie. He's ruining the season."

Instead, there is much rejoicing!!!

infohawk
09-16-2005, 11:48 PM
Looks that way. My advice to you is to sit back have a :gulp:and worry about that game tomorrow afternoon.
Let's hope that we get one of those starts that makes everybody talk about "what a big-game pitcher El Duque is. The kind of guy you want toeing the rubber in a playoff game."

infohawk
09-16-2005, 11:49 PM
We should start calling him "The Bishop Magic Juan".. From Pimp Stick to Bunting, it's magic.. :D:
Pimp stick? What, has be been working on his batting skills with Willie?

Roof Shot
09-16-2005, 11:49 PM
Man, the Twins are incompetent. Can't they talk to MLB and get the whole series switched so they don't have to be rushed by a college FB game?

To make matters even worse...no TV tomorrow. :(:

infohawk
09-16-2005, 11:50 PM
The pitching has definitely tended to go in cycles this year. Hopefully Garland stepping it up will trickle down to El Duque tomorrow, and we'll get one of those stretches where all the starters are lights-out for awhile.
Each of these guys has about three starts left. Let's hope they are dominant ones.

Brian26
09-16-2005, 11:58 PM
Agreed. A loss tonight might have been like a Jonestown reunion on this board.

LOL- this was discussed in chat. If Marte melted down when Ozzie brought him in, this place would look like ****ing Hiroshima.

PAPChiSox729
09-17-2005, 12:00 AM
LOL- this was discussed in chat. If Marte melted down when Ozzie brought him in, this place would look like ****ing Hiroshima.

Wow. I could just imagine this place if the Sox lost tonight. We may have seen the banishments of hundred of posters. It is a very scary thought. Luckily for us, the won it!

:D:
:supernana:

SoxSpeed22
09-17-2005, 12:05 AM
Great job Garland, Marte, Jenks. We needed every one of those breaks in the 10th, but won the damn game.:D:

kaufsox
09-17-2005, 12:08 AM
Excellent! Now, tomorrow, reload and do it again!

kittle42
09-17-2005, 12:12 AM
By the way, spent a Friday night at home. Thought I'd be bored out of my mind just watching the game alone. Everyone in chat made it very fun. Thanks!

BlackHat91
09-17-2005, 12:13 AM
Its about time! Now we need to keep the momentum going to keep Cleveland away and go into the playoffs with some steam instead of coasting in.

RallyBowl
09-17-2005, 12:15 AM
By the way, spent a Friday night at home. Thought I'd be bored out of my mind just watching the game alone. Everyone in chat made it very fun. Thanks!

Chat was definitely ELECTRIC tonight. Anyone remember the jag bags who were betting on a White Sox loss? (You get a free pass, Cheeses!)

Ozzie has HUGE stones for putting Marte in. Good move. Jenks too. Keep it rolling tomorrow, fellas.

BarbG
09-17-2005, 12:16 AM

It couldn't have...Crede scored the first fun and drove in the second, so neither of them count, right?

Vernam
09-17-2005, 12:20 AM
LOL- this was discussed in chat. If Marte melted down when Ozzie brought him in, this place would look like ****ing Hiroshima.Hawk and DJ seemed to be completely unnerved when Marte came in. Ozzie seems to have a death wish, which is just one more thing I love about him. Enjoy him while we've got him, 'cause he doesn't play it safe -- he'll either win a Series or be gone in two years.

Jacque Jones needs to go down. That's two HR where he's done that little bat flip. Stylin' like that used to come with a price, but maybe I'm getting old.

This is the kind of win that can turn everything around. Bad as the position players have been, the real difference lately has been the starting pitchers. Garland showed something special tonight.

VC

BarbG
09-17-2005, 12:26 AM

I rarely go into the chat room but I'm glad I did tonight. I haven't laughed that hard all week. I don't know if Cheeses needs typing lessons or some kind of special award. That was priceless!

If Cheeses calls for the gunt - then GUNT!

Nice work tonight by Joe and Jon especially. Do it again tomorrow!

cheeses_h_rice
09-17-2005, 12:29 AM
I rarely go into the chat room but I'm glad I did tonight. I haven't laughed that hard all week. I don't know if Cheeses needs typing lessons or some kind of special award. That was priceless!

If Cheeses calls for the gunt - then GUNT!

Nice work tonight by Joe and Jon especially. Do it again tomorrow!

"gunt" would have faded into the white noise of the chatroom if you hadn't brought it up again, just so you know. :wink:

Yeah, fun night in chat. PHG even was in there, and I don't think I've ever seen him participate.

slavko
09-17-2005, 12:42 AM
Big photo in post #10. I can't believe someone remembers him.

Jurr
09-17-2005, 12:47 AM
Well, he that photo is the perfect representation of the theme of our evening in chat. Many props to the lively group in there tonight. Great stuff.

chisox117
09-17-2005, 12:50 AM
Great win under pressure! It was extremely painful listening to Dick and circle me Bert getting off on the possibility of the Twinks helping the Tribe gain some ground on the Sox. How sweet it was to hear the disappointment in their voices as the Sox got the victory! I hope we win tomorrow and then sweep those bums! GO SOX!!:bandance:
:gulp:

Ol' No. 2
09-17-2005, 12:53 AM
Great win under pressure! It was extremely painful listening to Dick and circle me Bert getting off on the possibility of the Twinks helping the Tribe gain some ground on the Sox. How sweet it was to hear the disappointment in their voices as the Sox got the victory! I hope we win tomorrow and then sweep those bums! GO SOX!!:bandance:
:gulp:I just noticed that the Twins elimination number is at 3. Which means with a sweep the Sox can officially eliminate the Twinks on Sunday. Circle that, Bert.

Brian26
09-17-2005, 01:16 AM

Think of all the money you saved by not paying for overpriced drinks too! :bandance:

Brian26
09-17-2005, 01:19 AM
Yeah, fun night in chat. PHG even was in there, and I don't think I've ever seen him participate.

That was the first time I've ever participated in chat too. It was actually a lot of fun. Sort of quirky that everyone seemed to converge there unannounced.

Fuller_Schettman
09-17-2005, 01:24 AM
...and all of Soxville slept a restful sleep. With dreams of Baddily Bats and Ballsly Catch prancing in their shiny little heads. And they did sleep a sleepers sleep. No more nightmares and eviltwinks to disrupt the REMs. And they had dreams of sudsy champagne and joyous ruckusness...And they slept...

*cue twinkly music*

Juice16
09-17-2005, 01:46 AM
I have no confidence in Scottie stealing bases anymore.

fuzzy_patters
09-17-2005, 01:49 AM
The Good

Garland came up huge tonight. He really did not pitch very well in the early innings, but he worked his way out of some jams and seemed to gain confidence as the night went on. We really needed that.

The defense was much better tonight. They did not sabotage Garland's effort with any BS like they have been doing lately. That was good to see. It reflects better focus on the part of the players.

Crede and Juan have been hot lately. With the team scoring some runs, it is important that we have some hot bats in the lineup to build around.

Ozzie made a great decision to bring in Marte. He needed to nip that situation in the bud right now, and that is what he did. He showed Marte that he still has confidence in him, and he removed a distraction from the team.

Big kudos should go to Marte as well. If he had not pitched the way he did, there would still be the distractive questions circling about him. It feels good to know that this situation is most likely over.

The Bad

We were not very patient tonight at all. We let the rookie pitcher settle in by getting out on too many first pitches. I understand that they wanted to hit the fastball because they had not seen his stuff before, but sometimes it is better to take some pitches early, make him work, and see what he has.

Along that same line, we have got to score more runs. I do not think we have ever had everybody hitting well at the same time. Earlier in the year when we were winning more, Crede and Uribe were not contributing. Now that they are hot, we have other guys in a slump. The pitchers are not going to be able to handle this pressure consistently. We have to be able to score against teams other than KC.

Tomorrow's pitching match-up sucks. I guess the bright spot is that Minny's offense is so terrible that they might just keep us in the ball game. Hopefully, we can win a low scoring one for the second day in a row. Then we can bring the bats around Sunday and go for the sweep.

Lastly, I hate Jones. It does not seem like he is a very good hitter. He can only hit one pitch, the fastball. He likes to jump on the first pitch or look for the heat when he gets ahead. Basically, El Duque needs to get ahead of him with the slider tomorrow, and then he can go to the heat.

mike squires
09-17-2005, 01:57 AM
After the kids went to bed at work I checked the ticker on ESPN2 I saw it was 1 to 1 in the 10th. Then all of a sudden I saw something you rarely see...The scroe changed. The little box flipped the one to a 2. It made my heart skip a beat. Awesome...

HotelWhiteSox
09-17-2005, 02:00 AM
Haven't seen any Crede haters lately :D:

Nellie_Fox
09-17-2005, 02:28 AM
Some day, when the really important things have resolved themselves, someone will have to explain the Jackie Mason picture.

On FSN North, Bremer and Blyleven said that Ozzie had the team vote on whether to allow Marte back on the team. Did they talk about that on Chicago TV too? Since the team apparently showed confidence in Damaso, I guess Ozzie decided to second the motion.

Good win. I haven't removed my automatic defibrilator yet, but good win. Jenks frightened the Twins and their announcers.

Torn Labrum, I'm another old guy who thinks the wild card is just wrong. Our '59 Sox had the best record in the league. Now there're three divisions. If you can't even muster the best record in your own division, well...

SouthSide_HitMen
09-17-2005, 03:29 AM
Torn Labrum, I'm another old guy who thinks the wild card is just wrong. Our '59 Sox had the best record in the league. Now there're three divisions. If you can't even muster the best record in your own division, well...

I don't think "old guys" are the only ones who hate the wild card. I don't even like 3 divisions. You had to beat 7 - 9 other teams to make the World Series in the past. Now you just have to beat out as little as 2 teams (If the division and wild card come out of the AL West) to "earn" a postseason birth.

I would like to see interleague and the Wild Card gone. I would like to see two divisions and the regular season mean something. That will never happen as baseball would lose a round of playoff money.

Baseball was the one sport where the regular season actually meant something. In hockey and basketball 1/2 the teams make the playoffs. I could see a Wild Card in Football due to the low sample size (say a 10-6 record vs. 11-5). The short season and unbalanced schedule calls for a Wild Card.

Baseball is decided over 162 games. There should be no excuses - interleague and the unbalanced schedule create them and both should be removed.

The worst aspect of the wildcard is that we miss out on great "pennant" races. People don't have to worry about finishing in first because they have the wild card. Who cares about the battle for the 4th best team in each league? We will never have the exciting 1967 AL and 1988 AL East races where 4 teams were separated by a couple of games. The 1977 & 1988 AL East races. The 1993 NL West and 1978 Bucky Dent game that came down to the last game of the season (or tiebreaker). For over 100 years you had to finish first to have the chance to be called World Champion. Now baseball has whored itself and the playoff format is like some "reality" TV show with an added twist of adding someone back onto the island or in the house etc..

Bud Selig and company have done their best to ruin the best sport in America with 1994 and Steroids. Baseball has been passed by the NFL and the NBA (for a while at least - not sure about current ratings) in popularity. The sport needs to hire leadership which considers the long term future of the sport and not how they can squeeze more money out of fans and local / state governments.

Dan H
09-17-2005, 07:05 AM
Huge win with Santana throwing tomorrow. Huge win in a close game at the Metrodome. Huge win where every play mattered. Huge win against a tough rookie. Huge win where Garland returns to form. Huge win for Bobby Jenks. Huge win with Cleveland winning too. Huge win for the team's confidence. Huge win to get the stench of Kansas City out. Huge win to keep the 4.5 game lead. Did I say this was a huge win?

You did and it was. Now if the Sox can find some way to beat Santanna. A sweep would be even bigger.

harwar
09-17-2005, 08:34 AM
I don't have the words to convey how large that win was last night.
Every game will be just as intense and exciting the rest of the way through so batten down the hatches and hold on tight.
The twins announcers on the tv side were duly impressed with Mr. Jenks.
I believe i heard them say WOW at least twice following a pitch.
There is no reason why we can't beat santana today if we can just take a lot of pitches and wait him out.
Of course that only works if 'El Duque' does his job.
The games from now on are not for the faint hearted but isn't this what we all live for?
In the words of Carl Sagan .."Wanna take a ride?"

SOXSINCE'70
09-17-2005, 08:44 AM

Good question.Another one for you:why try to steal when you're
coming off a groin injury?? He's now been CS (caught stealing)
22 times.I like the aggressiveness,but be sure you can swipe
the bag next time,Scott.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-17-2005, 09:45 AM
...As one who abhors the entire concept of Wild Card, I don't want to go in that way. I want to go in after demolishing our division. Right now I'll settle for winning it by one game. ... Winning a Wild Card is like French kissing your mother.

Hey no argument here. I've repeatedly written about what an abomination to the game of baseball the wild card is, too. It completely cheapens the 162 game schedule.

In fact I'll even go you one better: Cleveland wouldn't be playing this well if their ONLY chance of making the playoffs was catching the Sox. They would have given up and packed it in just like Minnesota -- who not coincidentally has no shot at the wild card.

Proving yourself the best across 162 games ought to count for more than earning home field for a decisive game 5 or 7. It makes me angry just thinking about it.

But having said that, there WILL be a wild card team in the playoffs this October. If the Sox fail to win the division, I'll gladly accept the consolation prize that is really no consolation at all. We're playing in October with an 0-0 record like everyone else. You better believe they all know it in Cleveland.

Wild card teams win championships, too.

SSN721
09-17-2005, 11:32 AM
:gulp: :bandance: Guys, I hate to be a dark cloud, but the run Crede scored does not count

That was hilarious, gotta give you props, maybe should have been in teal, except the run doesnt count in the shoota scorebook :D: Nice win for the boys tonight. Lets get this working towards a winning streak pick up some momentum.

Realist
09-17-2005, 11:41 AM

Aww... I missed it. :(:

At least I'll never have wonder what "Dorp the gunt!" means. :smile: