PDA

View Full Version : It's Go Time.

Jurr
09-16-2005, 07:32 PM
Alright, folks. This is the time for the Sox to come out and do what they've gotta do to go ahead and clinch this thing. We have been watching the Sox for a LONG time, and we've all enjoyed this season to the fullest. What a year it has been. My father and I talked last night for a couple of hours about the Sox, and how we've followed these guys since we could remember baseball. It's a family tradition.

My grandfather fought in WWII with a Sox pennant in his pack the entire time. He came home and had kids who were immediately taken to Comiskey Park to watch the Sox play. Grandpa died without ever seeing the Sox win the big one. Our generation is lucky enough to see the Sox in a season that features so many teams with deficiencies that anything is possible come October. The Sox have to get into the dance, and then we could see the miraculous occur. How lucky are we to see this rebirth on the South Side?

I am very excited/anxious about the coming two weeks. I think about it all the time. Games mean something in September. There's nothing more you can ask for. Even in 2000, games weren't that important in this month, because the team had it all but wrapped up. This led to a collapse in October.

We've seen some great omens this year. The Sox led the season off with a 1-0 shutout vs. Cleveland. They started the second half of the season with a 1-0 shutout vs. Cleveland. Halliday got hurt, giving Buehrle the start and eventual win in the All-Star game. Podsednik beat out Jeter to get the last vote for that game. Konerko and Thomas never got that chance in previous years. This year has been magical. The Go-Go Sox fight song reverberates off of the walls of USCF night after night, followed by Nancy's rendition of Steam's White Sox fight song (na-na-na-na Hey Hey Hey Goodbye). Absolute magic. I was there for AJ's walkoff vs. the Dodgers, followed by the rally on Sunday night to beat LA again. Moments like this have been there all year long.

Now, the Sox have slipped into a pennant race. They've gotta come together and win games in September that mean something. This improves a team's focus and demands strong baseball. It's very Darwinian - the strong survive, the weak die. The White Sox have to be strong.

If the Sox play strong, they're going to be in the playoffs with positive momentum going into the big show. If they had coasted into October, they may not have been ready for prime time. Yet another omen that this could be the year. It's time to rally the troops and get this thing done. I have a great feeling that the Sox will pull it out.

My call to all Sox fans is to embrace this team like you did when it was easy to. Root them on and know that you're in a privileged position to see something that your fathers and grandfathers rarely got to see. That's very exciting. I'm in...I'm pumped, and I'm excited to see how this pans out. I believe in this team. I have seen them win, I have seen them dominate, and I know that they are capable of doing the improbable - I believe they will still win the World Series.

The pennant race starts tonight vs. Minnesota. This is a team that hates our guts, has historically owned us in September, and would want nothing more than to ruin our happiness this year. There will be none of that. The Sox are going to come out and play ball. They may not win, but the effort's going to be there. There will be enough wins, though, in the next weeks to see the boys in October. That's what I believe. I am very excited. Hopefully, my grandfather, watching from the best seat in the house (upstairs), will get to cheer on his boys to a playoff berth and a world series win. I can't wait to see it happen from here.

It's time Sox. It's time Sox fans. Let's get down to business. What a year it's been.

DC Sox Fan
09-16-2005, 07:35 PM
HELL YES. Let's do this. I am pumped!!!

http://www.asij.ac.jp/music/Oki2004Photos/images/Pumped%20Up.jpg

WhiteSox16K
09-16-2005, 07:38 PM
SOX PRIDE . . . thats what it's was all about.

I was going to post something like this earliar, but I was too damn hungover after drinking the night away partially because of the Sox.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-16-2005, 07:41 PM
Let's treat the next 17 games like it were the NFL season. Yes, the NFL season is only 16 games long and takes over 4 months to complete. However we'll cut right to the chase with nearly daily games the next two weeks. Besides who really needs to fill 6 days between each game listening to those ****ing idiots on sportsblab radio talk about back up kickers, injured reserve and "putting on the pads."
:cool:

Week 1:
Sox at Minnesota.
Kansas City at Cleveland

NEXXXXXXXXT!
:wink:

Oh, and just to make this fair, don't forget the Sox start with a 4.5 game lead and also make the playoffs as the wild card ahead of Boston, Anaheim, Oakland, and the Yankees.

Okay everybody, start whining away.

Fuller_Schettman
09-16-2005, 07:44 PM
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:biky9iyTDxIJ:http://webzoom.freewebs.com/moviegraphs/Bridges%2520Lloyd.jpg

"Mandelbaum! Mandelbaum! Mandelbaum!

voodoochile
09-16-2005, 07:45 PM
Let's treat the next 17 games like it were the NFL season. Yes, the NFL season is only 16 games long and takes over 4 months to complete. However we'll cut right to the chase with nearly daily games the next two weeks. Besides who really needs to fill 6 days between each game listening to those ****ing idiots on sportsblab radio talk about back up kickers, injured reserve and "putting on the pads."

Week 1:
Sox at Minnesota.
Kansas City at Cleveland

NEXXXXXXXXT!

Oh, and just to make this fair, don't forget the Sox start with a 4.5 game lead and also make the playoffs as the wild card ahead of Boston, Anaheim, Oakland, and the Yankees.

And just like the NFL, 13 wins gurantees a playoff spot...:D:

DickAllen72
09-16-2005, 07:46 PM
It's gut check time for our White Sox. It's amazing what a six game winning streak would do for us about now!

Anyway, for some reason I have a good feeling going into tonight's game. This is the perfect time to get back on track. Pitching, defense and not making stupid plays will be what puts the Sox over the top. I hope we see all three ingredients for the rest of the year.

Let's Go, White Sox!!! :gulp:

Jurr
09-16-2005, 07:48 PM
Oh..and for all of you newbies to the site...I am honored to have you guys here to be around the best fans in sports (as well as the most neurotic) to celebrate each big win and cope with each (hopefully not many) loss.

What's going on here is the essence of baseball...win or go home. It's time to sit back and enjoy the show. Happy to have you guys aboard.

Cowhead418
09-16-2005, 07:49 PM

Week 1:
Sox at Minnesota.
Kansas City at Cleveland

NEXXXXXXXXT!

Damn! Beat me to it! Check the "4.5 game lead" thread.:redneck

itsnotrequired
09-16-2005, 07:52 PM
:threadrules:

Jurr
09-16-2005, 07:54 PM
George, Daver, Hal, Beckett, Lip, Voodoo, Brian......and all the guys that have been doing this thing a while......how pumped are you guys? I am so jacked for this run of games, and I want to know how you're feeling with it.

Dammit, there's nothing more fun than this time RIGHT NOW.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-16-2005, 08:04 PM
I'm excited to be playing MEANINGFUL GAMES in late-September. Better still, we're playing them with a significant lead and the inside track for a second chance wild-card berth, too.

The Sox haven't been in a true late season pennant chase since 1967. And no, I don't count Manuel's Monumental **** Up back in '03 as a pennant chase. By this time we had already dropped into second place and had no shot at a wild card either.

This figures to be a very exciting two weeks. Only the terminally confused and the cowards see it any differently.

voodoochile
09-16-2005, 08:07 PM
George, Daver, Hal, Beckett, Lip, Voodoo, Brian......and all the guys that have been doing this thing a while......how pumped are you guys? I am so jacked for this run of games, and I want to know how you're feeling with it.

I actually admit I was having more fun when the lead was three times larger, but the hilarious over the top "I can go lower than you can" dark cloud posts recently have inspired me. I am ready for this run. I am ready to prove the Sox belong. I am ready to stand behind them no matter what. I am willing to go the distance. This is why we play the games. If it were as simple as pushing a button or clicking the "execute season" command, it wouldn't be nearly as much fun.

Let's Rock...:cool:

beckett21
09-16-2005, 08:07 PM

Honestly?

There's your answer.

This is what it's all about. :cool:

beckett21
09-16-2005, 08:09 PM
. This is why we play the games. If it were as simple as pushing a button or clicking the "execute season" command, it wouldn't be nearly as much fun.

The fun is in the chase, the anticipation. The outcome is almost anticlimactic.

Notice I did say *almost* :bandance:

RallyBowl
OH YEAH

MRKARNO
And just like the NFL, 13 wins gurantees a playoff spot...:D:

Also like the NFC, 9 wins probably does too:D::D:

buehrle4cy05
09-16-2005, 09:52 PM
Also like the NFC, 9 wins probably does too:D::D:

Well, that eliminates the Bears.:redneck

Seriously, you can't help but love this kind of playoff chase. It can be nerve-racking, but I have a feeling that we are going to look back on these last two weeks and get a nice feeling inside.

Sox Pride! LETS DO THIS!

LaHerdiaGrande35
09-16-2005, 10:07 PM
Hell Yeah!
Now let's beat the living crap out of our opponents and win this division!

MarySwiss
09-16-2005, 10:24 PM
Gawrsh! You guys are doing Sox fans proud.

So ya know, I just got home from a Happy Hour at which a Tribe fan friend was present. He is currently lurking on this site--daring me to unearth him!--and he actually said he thought this site was cool. I told him that he would be welcome here as long as he didn't start any crap. Kind of like Fenway.

buehrle4cy05
09-16-2005, 10:25 PM
Gawrsh! You guys are doing Sox fans proud.

So ya know, I just got home from a Happy Hour at which a Tribe fan friend was present. He is currently lurking on this site--daring me to unearth him!--and he actually said he thought this site was cool. I told him that he would be welcome here as long as he didn't start any crap. Kind of like Fenway.

Eh...

Jurr
09-16-2005, 11:05 PM
It's go time...and the gunt comes through. Wow.

That's what the hell I'm talking about!!!!!!!!!!

whitesoxwilkes
09-16-2005, 11:18 PM
There's a chill in the air, the standings are tight, and everyone's pumped up.
Time to check your guts, drop your ****s and grab your sox.

I LIVE FOR THIS.

Scotty347
09-16-2005, 11:30 PM
Great win tonight - it felt great. And nice post by the thread starter. Time to beat Santana tomorrow.

Cowhead418
09-16-2005, 11:36 PM
Never a better time to beat Santana.:cool:

beckett21
09-16-2005, 11:42 PM
Hell.Yeah. :cool:

chisoxmike
09-16-2005, 11:57 PM
I will never have cheered and yelled and hang on every pitch and inning like I will be the next few weeks.

BLAST SOME MUSIC, DRINK SOME BEERS, BECAUSE HERE COME THE WHITE SOX!

:fans:notoons

Reminds me of 83
09-17-2005, 12:01 AM
Jurr,

Your opening post was the best I have read on this site.

Thanks for setting me right again!!

Let's go SOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:

PAPChiSox729
09-17-2005, 12:07 AM
I will never have cheered and yelled and hang on every pitch and inning like I will be the next few weeks.

BLAST SOME MUSIC, DRINK SOME BEERS, BECAUSE HERE COME THE WHITE SOX!

:fans:notoons

I second that!

Minus the beer part, it is chocolate milk for me.

:redface: :wink:

Ol' No. 2
09-17-2005, 12:44 AM
I'm excited to be playing MEANINGFUL GAMES in late-September. Better still, we're playing them with a significant lead and the inside track for a second chance wild-card berth, too.

The Sox haven't been in a true late season pennant chase since 1967. And no, I don't count Manuel's Monumental **** Up back in '03 as a pennant chase. By this time we had already dropped into second place and had no shot at a wild card either.

This figures to be a very exciting two weeks. Only the terminally confused and the cowards see it any differently.And a month ago you said they wouldn't play another meaningful game until October.:wink:

This is what pennant races are all about. As I said in another thread, some people go to amusement parks to ride the merry-go-round. Some ride the roller coasters. Baseball pennant races are not for the faint of heart. They're roller coaster rides, and by God, we're in one. I've got all winter to get my blood pressure back down.

DSpivack
09-17-2005, 02:29 AM
This is what pennant races are all about. As I said in another thread, some people go to amusement parks to ride the merry-go-round. Some ride the roller coasters. Baseball pennant races are not for the faint of heart. They're roller coaster rides, and by God, we're in one. I've got all winter to get my blood pressure back down.

Amen to that.

And let me admit something--I am somewhat guilty of being a dark cloud. I admit being down and depressed the last two weeks with the way this team was playing. I admit envisioning the nightmare scenario. I admit being a pessimist. I admit seeing something like 2003, only much worse.

But there was always that glimmer of hope. In the back of my mind all year was that this season is different. Different from the all-or-nothing offenses, different from the 5th starter debacles, different from the 'good on paper' teams of the past.

I am geeked, I am excited, and I am pumped. Pennant races are roller coasters--I love the analogy. It's not life or death, and it is 'only a game', but it's a game of blood, sweat, and tears. The marathon IS now a sprint. And does that not just make the game all the more thrilling? It has been gut-wrenching to see 15-game lead go down to 4.5 games, but you know what? We have 16 games left. Time is on our side, yes it is.

My dad grew up in Rogers Park a Cub fan, although family wasn't extremely partisan and would attend numerous Sox and Cubs games when he was little. He raised me rather non-partisan, taking me to more Cubs games, but also the 1993 ALCS, which kickstarted me on a slow journey to being a rabid Sox fan. Moving to Springfield, IL in 1991, he became disenchanted over the years with the futile nature of Cubdom.

Along with numerous weekend trips to St. Louis, he became a Cardinals fan. Unfortunately, he passed away this past July. I thank him for never brainwashing me, for bringing me to see the Sox in the playoffs the only two times they have been there in my lifetime. I know right now he is smiling down upon me, and I pray for his blessing.

Being a Sox fan is an emotional roller coaster. This season, especially, the highs have been high and the few, recent lows have been low. Perhaps my optimism tonight is merely due to one win. Perhaps it is because I have a fan up above. Perhaps because this season is different. Perhaps because there are only 16 games left.

It's time. That is all I DO know. Put up or shut up, extreme optimism or dark cloud pessimism, I will be with the ship, whether it stayeth up and keep afloat rising high into the sky, or sinking into the ocean's depths.

This is truly Win Or Die Trying. Any questions?

mccoydp
09-17-2005, 02:40 AM
Damn Jurr, you fired me up!

GO SOX!:cool:

DSpivack
09-17-2005, 02:42 AM
Damn Jurr, you fired me up!

GO SOX!:cool:

Seems like he fired a few of us up!

PaleHoseGeorge
09-17-2005, 10:16 AM
16 games left to go!

NFL season Week 1 results:

Sox over Minnesota.
Tribe over KC.

Standings:
Sox 1-0 1.000 --
Cle 1-0 1.000 -4.5
Wild Card seeds: Sox, Bos, NYY, Ana, Oak

NFL season Week 2 schedule:

Sox at Minnesota
KC at Cleveland

(16 games left to go.)

24thStFan
09-17-2005, 10:40 AM
Hopefully, my grandfather, watching from the best seat in the house (upstairs), will get to cheer on his boys to a playoff berth and a world series win. I can't wait to see it happen from here.

It's time Sox. It's time Sox fans. Let's get down to business. What a year it's been.

My Dad was huge Sox fan. He passed away three years ago and only got to see the Sox in one World Series ('59). I know he would be cheering like crazy right now.

O.K. Sox Fans -- let's help this team do it. Do it for all our grandfathers, grandmothers, fathers, and mothers who never had a chance for this kind of magical season.

And Dad, if your listening, put in a good word for the White Sox with the BIG GUY.

GO SOX!!!

soxjim
09-17-2005, 10:57 AM
My grandma is 101 living in the Bridgeport neighborhood is fired up. I'm currently in the Memphis Tennessee area trying to find a good sports bar to watch the series with the indians. My wife called last night blasting the Lets Go Go White Sox theme song. She will be taking our 9 year old niece to the game on Monday, who can't wait to run her record to 12-0 at the cell this year.

rwcescato
09-17-2005, 11:42 AM
Alright, folks. This is the time for the Sox to come out and do what they've gotta do to go ahead and clinch this thing. We have been watching the Sox for a LONG time, and we've all enjoyed this season to the fullest. What a year it has been. My father and I talked last night for a couple of hours about the Sox, and how we've followed these guys since we could remember baseball. It's a family tradition.

My grandfather fought in WWII with a Sox pennant in his pack the entire time. He came home and had kids who were immediately taken to Comiskey Park to watch the Sox play. Grandpa died without ever seeing the Sox win the big one. Our generation is lucky enough to see the Sox in a season that features so many teams with deficiencies that anything is possible come October. The Sox have to get into the dance, and then we could see the miraculous occur. How lucky are we to see this rebirth on the South Side?

I am very excited/anxious about the coming two weeks. I think about it all the time. Games mean something in September. There's nothing more you can ask for. Even in 2000, games weren't that important in this month, because the team had it all but wrapped up. This led to a collapse in October.

We've seen some great omens this year. The Sox led the season off with a 1-0 shutout vs. Cleveland. They started the second half of the season with a 1-0 shutout vs. Cleveland. Halliday got hurt, giving Buehrle the start and eventual win in the All-Star game. Podsednik beat out Jeter to get the last vote for that game. Konerko and Thomas never got that chance in previous years. This year has been magical. The Go-Go Sox fight song reverberates off of the walls of USCF night after night, followed by Nancy's rendition of Steam's White Sox fight song (na-na-na-na Hey Hey Hey Goodbye). Absolute magic. I was there for AJ's walkoff vs. the Dodgers, followed by the rally on Sunday night to beat LA again. Moments like this have been there all year long.

Now, the Sox have slipped into a pennant race. They've gotta come together and win games in September that mean something. This improves a team's focus and demands strong baseball. It's very Darwinian - the strong survive, the weak die. The White Sox have to be strong.

If the Sox play strong, they're going to be in the playoffs with positive momentum going into the big show. If they had coasted into October, they may not have been ready for prime time. Yet another omen that this could be the year. It's time to rally the troops and get this thing done. I have a great feeling that the Sox will pull it out.

My call to all Sox fans is to embrace this team like you did when it was easy to. Root them on and know that you're in a privileged position to see something that your fathers and grandfathers rarely got to see. That's very exciting. I'm in...I'm pumped, and I'm excited to see how this pans out. I believe in this team. I have seen them win, I have seen them dominate, and I know that they are capable of doing the improbable - I believe they will still win the World Series.

The pennant race starts tonight vs. Minnesota. This is a team that hates our guts, has historically owned us in September, and would want nothing more than to ruin our happiness this year. There will be none of that. The Sox are going to come out and play ball. They may not win, but the effort's going to be there. There will be enough wins, though, in the next weeks to see the boys in October. That's what I believe. I am very excited. Hopefully, my grandfather, watching from the best seat in the house (upstairs), will get to cheer on his boys to a playoff berth and a world series win. I can't wait to see it happen from here.

I agree. nOw is the time to rally behind our team. It is a long season and we have not come this far to be depressed and give up. I was ready to because we are so use to disappointment. Lets take all 3 from the twinkies and build that momentum back up again. Then turn to the tribe and take care of them once and for all.
GO SOX!!!!
Rich:)

Jurr
09-17-2005, 06:07 PM
Alright. A predictable loss today. Big deal...we knew it was going to happen. The players mailed that one in and we've got our big dawg going tomorrow.

If we're talking NFL terms, we're 1-1 in our new season. Odds are we'll be 2-1 after tomorrow. Baseball Prospectus still has us at a 96.5% playoff probability.

Don't listen to the media baboons. We're still in command of this thing. Go SOX

Oh..P.S.....If you're wanting to talk momentum and getting back to the "good old days"...the M.O. of this team was winning 2 of 3. Winning series. According to the math, we're still very much in position to do that with the Twins tomorrow.

DON'T ****ING WORRY!

PaleHoseGeorge
09-17-2005, 11:33 PM
15 games left to go!

NFL season Week 2 results:

Minnesota over Sox.
Tribe over KC.

Standings:
Sox 1-1 .500 --
Clev 2-0 1.000 -3.5
Wild Card seeds: Sox, Bos -3, NYY -4, Ana -7/8, Oak -9

NFL season Week 3 schedule:

Sox at Minnesota
KC at Cleveland

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(15 games left to go.)

Tightening up, but no shift in order since the season started. Sox in control of their own destiny two times over.

antitwins13
09-17-2005, 11:55 PM
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:v0Qlf-aX4CoJ:www.mthurricane.com/Lightning%25202002-2.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.mthurricane.com/Lightning%25202002-2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.mthurricane.com/Lightning.htm&h=346&w=461&sz=17&tbnid=v0Qlf-aX4CoJ:&tbnh=93&tbnw=125&hl=en&start=13&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dlightning%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr %3D)The Tribe's about ta get THUNDERSTRUCK!

mike squires
09-18-2005, 12:44 AM

I don't know about fun right now. I've had to go the last two days unable to watch them because of work and not knowing the score of the game today because the ticker keeps showing NCAA football scores. But I'll tell you one thing...this is really what I like and what I'm all about...I like to see things come down to the wire, close games and close races...I'm getting it now. The fun for me starts Monday night. I've only been to one game this year and I've never been to a game in September during the stretch run of a pennent race. Monday and essentially October 1 is when the fun starts for me. I'll have an entire month off work to either cheer on my Sox or drink myself into a Cubs fan. Um, just teasing.

CHISOXFAN13
09-18-2005, 01:15 AM
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:v0Qlf-aX4CoJ:www.mthurricane.com/Lightning%25202002-2.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.mthurricane.com/Lightning%25202002-2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.mthurricane.com/Lightning.htm&h=346&w=461&sz=17&tbnid=v0Qlf-aX4CoJ:&tbnh=93&tbnw=125&hl=en&start=13&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dlightning%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr %3D)The Tribe's about ta get THUNDERSTRUCK!

I'm on my feet already for the intro. I can't wait.

We will all appreciate this championship after going through this stretch. Monday can't come soon enough, but first, here's to another door breaking tirade by Lohse after a miserable outing :gulp: .

CLR01
09-18-2005, 01:47 AM
15 games left to go!

NFL season Week 2 results:

Minnesota over Sox.
Tribe over KC.

Standings:
Sox 1-1 .500 --
Clev 2-0 1.000 -3.5
Wild Card seeds: Sox, Bos -3, NYY -4, Ana -7/8, Oak -9

NFL season Week 3 schedule:

Sox at Minnesota
KC at Cleveland

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(15 games left to go.)

Tightening up, but no shift in order since the season started. Sox in control of their own destiny two times over.

This season sucks! Why does Cleveland get a bye week and the Sox don't?

PaleHoseGeorge
09-18-2005, 08:54 AM
This season sucks! Why does Cleveland get a bye week and the Sox don't?

Good question. Why was it so ****ing important to fly the Sox roundtrip to the east coast for one lousy make up game when Cleveland wasn't forced to do the same?

PaleHoseGeorge
09-18-2005, 05:22 PM
14 games left to go!

NFL season Week 3 results:

Sox over Minnesota.
Tribe over KC.

Standings:
Sox 2-1 .750 --
Clev 3-0 1.000 -3.5
Wild Card seeds: Sox, Bos -4, NYY -5, Ana -7/8, Oak -9

NFL season Week 4 schedule:

Cleveland at Sox

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Notes

For the third consecutive day, nobody overtakes anyone for anything. The division and the wild card standings haven't moved. The Sox add another full-game cushion on both Boston and the Yankees for the wild card. The Tribe has to face the Sox head on to keep winning. They've picked up 1 game the last 3 days while playing Kansas City. They've only got 14 games left to try and make up another 4.

Game on!

kaufsox
09-18-2005, 05:27 PM
14 games left to go!

NFL season Week 3 results:

Sox over Minnesota.
Tribe over KC.

Standings:
Sox 2-1 .750 --
Clev 3-0 1.000 -3.5
Wild Card seeds: Sox, Bos -4, NYY -5, Ana -7/8, Oak -9

NFL season Week 4 schedule:

Cleveland at Sox

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Notes

For the third consecutive day, nobody overtakes anyone for anything. The division and the wild card standings haven't moved. The Sox add another full-game cushion on both Boston and the Yankees for the wild card. The Tribe has to face the Sox head on to keep winning. They've picked up 1 game the last 3 days while playing Kansas City. They've only got 14 games left to try and make up another 4.

Game on!

Are you going to do this for the rest of the season? It rocks!!!

Jurr
09-18-2005, 05:47 PM
Looks like the Sox are going back to their early season M.O.

1.)Light on offense, heavy on pitching and D.
2.)Take two of three in every series.

If they keep this up, the division is ours. 2-1 in the new season. Good job, Sox!

akingamongstmen
09-18-2005, 07:11 PM
I love this thread. Something big is about to happen on the South Side. It starts tomorrow. To anybody that can make it to the game, I want to hear you all the way out here in enemy territory! Scream your lungs out for all of us that have had to leave the great city of Chicago for any reason.

Win..or Die Trying

gobears1987
09-18-2005, 07:12 PM
Oooooraaaaahhhhh!!!!

Clarkdog
09-18-2005, 11:16 PM
Great post, Jurr.

These last 14 days are going to be a lot of fun. I would have preferred the Sox having an easier time in locking up a post-season spot - but they have yet to play a meaningful game this season because they got off to such a hot start. This will test their mettle and we'll find out if they are in fact a playoff/championship calibur team. Going into this series with a tight win and a series victory is a good thing. To me the Sox only need to remember a few things and forget everything the media is spewing:

The Sox lead the division (and the Wild Card technically), the pressure is not on them to keep pace - just to play like the division leader. To hear the media tell it, you would think it is Sox that are chasing the Indians.

The Sox have won 90 games and have the best record in the AL, you don't accomplish this by being a lousy team. The media paints the Sox as if they are a 72 win team pretending to be a 90 game winner. They have won 90 - there is no pretending.

The Sox own the Indians. 10 -3 this season. Even though they are playing better of late, 13 games will certainly tell you enough about what your opponents strengths and weaknesses are.

The Sox need to pitch the Indians as they have in the past (Garcia 2-0 1.71; Buehrle 2-0 2.11; Garland 2-0 2.84). Against Sox pitching, the Indians have only two regulars hitting over .260 - Crisp and Sizemore.
The Indians pitching against the Sox is not even close. Milwood has the only repectable number with a 1.29 ERA but an 0-2 record. No other starter has an ERA under 4.5 The Sox have three players that hit over .300 against the Indians - Podsednik, Konerko, Rowand, and Everett hits close to .280.
Bullpen - Indians Bullpen: ONLY Betancourt and Tadano have ERAs UNDER 3 vs. the Sox. Sox Bullpen: ONLY Vizcaino has an ERA OVER 3 vs. the Indians.

The Indians will hit lousy pitching - but they are vulnerable against good pitching.
The only thing the Sox should be thinking is this: Play your game - play the game that got you here and you will be fine.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-20-2005, 12:00 AM
13 games left to go!

NFL season Week 4 results:

Tribe over Sox.

Standings:
Sox 2-2 .500 --
Clev 4-0 1.000 -2.5
Wild Card seeds: Sox, Bos -4, NYY -4, Ana -6, Oak -7/8

NFL season Week 5 schedule:

Cleveland at Sox

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Notes

Tightening more, but for fourth day nobody overtakes anyone for anything. Yankees pull into tie with Red Sox in East, but only one team qualifies for the postseason thus no effect on Sox. Meanwhile hopeless wild card trailer Oakland appears poised to gain ground on idle Anaheim in the West. It's all about the Central Division... everybody else is fighting for scraps.

Game on!

Lip Man 1
09-20-2005, 12:11 AM
George:

I thought Boston still led the Yanks by a half game?

Lip

PaleHoseGeorge
09-20-2005, 07:49 AM
George:

I thought Boston still led the Yanks by a half game?

Lip

Yes, but they're even in the loss column and it's the loss column that is important to the Sox.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-20-2005, 11:46 PM
12 games left to go!

NFL season Week 5 results:

Sox over Tribe.

Standings:
Sox 3-2 .500 --
Clev 4-1 1.000 -3.5
Wild Card seeds: Sox, Bos -4, NYY -4, Ana -6/7, Oak -8/9

NFL season Week 6 schedule:

Cleveland at Sox

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Notes

Five games lapsed and Cleveland has picked up just 1 game of the five they needed to catch the Sox. That won't get the job done. Only 12 games are left! Boston and Yankees keep pace and Oakland and Anaheim are still playing, but they're strictly a bunch of also-rans now. Like never before, this is ALL about the Central Division. The rest of these punks are fighting over the leftover scraps.

Eat **** Cleveland. Game on!

voodoochile
09-21-2005, 12:06 AM
12 games left to go!

NFL season Week 5 results:

Sox over Tribe.

Standings:
Sox 3-2 .500 --
Clev 4-1 1.000 -3.5
Wild Card seeds: Sox, Bos -4, NYY -4, Ana -6/7, Oak -8/9

NFL season Week 6 schedule:

Cleveland at Sox

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Notes

Five games lapsed and Cleveland has picked up just 1 game of the five they needed to catch the Sox. That won't get the job done. Only 12 games are left! Boston and Yankees keep pace and Oakland and Anaheim are still playing, but they're strictly a bunch of also-rans now. Like never before, this is ALL about the Central Division. The rest of these punks are fighting over the leftover scraps.

Eat **** Cleveland. Game on!

**** YEAH!!!

Lip Man 1
09-21-2005, 12:18 AM
The magic number for the division is 9, what is the number for clinching a post season berth?

Is it also 9?

Lip

voodoochile
09-21-2005, 12:23 AM
The magic number for the division is 9, what is the number for clinching a post season berth?

Is it also 9?

Lip

Also 9, the three best AL teams behind the Sox all have 63 losses.

voodoochile
09-21-2005, 12:26 AM
All the little chicks in the crimson lips they know that

CLEVELAND SUCKS!

CLEVELANS SUCKS!:tongue:

PaleHoseGeorge
09-21-2005, 12:27 AM
Also 9, the three best AL teams behind the Sox all have 63 losses.

And only ONE of those three teams is relevant to the Sox: the East division's runner-up.

Magic numbers are basically worthless for everything except planning your victory party. I don't waste my time with them until the number drops into single digits. Oh, wait...

DSpivack
09-21-2005, 02:24 AM
**** YEAH!!!

I like this as an official motto.

America, i mean White Sox, **** YEAH!!!

BNLSox
09-21-2005, 05:07 AM
Bring it on Cleveland.... Tomorrow night is gonna be sweet. What a great series!!

GOOOOOOO SOX!

PaleHoseGeorge
09-21-2005, 11:33 PM
11 games left to go!

NFL season Week 6 results:

Tribe over Sox.

Standings:
Sox 3-3 .500 --
Clev 5-1 .833 -2.5
Wild Card seeds: Sox, NYY -3, Bos -4, Ana -5/6, Oak -8

NFL season Week 7 schedule:

Minnesota at Sox
Cleveland at KC

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Notes

After 6 games FINALLY some movement -- but none of it involves the Sox. New York leaps past Boston for the third spot in the wild card. Cleveland merely keeps pace, clinging to the 0.5 game lead they hold over New York. Oakland's loss to Minnesota makes even the West Division title now seem remote.

We'll see you again, Cleveland. Game on!

PaleHoseGeorge
09-24-2005, 10:05 PM
8 games left to go!

NFL season Week 9 results:

Sox over Minnesota.
Tribe over Kansas City.

Standings:
Sox 5-4 .555 --
Clev 8-1 .889 -1.5
Wild Card seeds: Sox, NYY -3, Bos -3, Ana -4/5, Oak -9

NFL season Week 10 schedule:

Minnesota at Sox
Cleveland at KC

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Notes

Just win, baby.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-25-2005, 08:40 PM
7 games left to go!

NFL season Week 10 results:

Sox over Minnesota.
Kansas City over Tribe.

Standings:
Sox 6-4 .600 --
Clev 8-2 .800 -2.5
Wild Card seeds: Sox, NYY -3, Bos -3, Ana -5, Oak -8/9 (eliminated)

NFL season Week 11 schedule:

Sox at Detroit
Cleveland off (bye week)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Notes

First fatality: Oakland is out for the wild card. The Sox only remaining rival is the East division's runner-up, the weaker of Boston or New York.

Just win, baby. This time Cleveland can't even answer.

Jurr
09-28-2005, 11:50 AM
4 games left to go!

NFL season Week 13 results:

Sox beat Detroit.
Tribe loses to Tampa Bay.

Standings:
Sox 7-6 .538 --
Clev 8-4 .667 -3.0
Wild Card seeds: Sox, NYY -2, Bos -3, Cle -3

Already in: Anaheim (AL West Champs): 4 games behind Sox for home field.

NFL season Week 14 schedule:

Sox at Detroit
Cleveland hosts Tampa
Boston hosts Toronto
New York at Baltimore

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Notes

One More To Go: With the win and the Tribe loss, the Sox have to win one more game to clinch the AL Central title. The worst the Sox could finish would be tied with Cleveland at 96 wins, which would be broken by Chicago's head to head wins vs. the Indians. One more game, and it's party time in Chicago!:bandance:

Jurr
09-29-2005, 02:49 AM
To all of you Sox fans that have hung in there and stayed true to your boys, this one's for you:gulp: .

To all of the doubters.....you've gotta stay faithful, people! Things get rough and tough, but that's what makes it that much sweeter when the boys come through.

To you guys that have been around here for numerous seasons, I salute you. We've been through some crap here, from the Billy Koch debacle in Tampa that blew the 2003 momentum (after Frank's heroics vs. Minnesota), to the 2002 collapse........and in 2005, after all the Hot Stove threads and in-season ups and downs, it's almost over!!!:supernana:
Finally..a playoff thread on WSI!!!!

PaleHoseGeorge
09-30-2005, 07:59 AM
3 games left to go!
But who cares because...
:fsock It's a White Sox CLINCHER!!!:fsock

NFL season Week 14 results:

Sox beat Detroit.
Tribe beats Tampa Bay.

Standings:
Sox 8-6 .538 --
Clev 9-4 .692 -3.0
Wild Card seeds: NYY --, Bos -3, Cle -3

Already in: Anaheim (AL West Champs): 4 games behind Sox for home field.

NFL season Week 15 schedule:

blah blah blah... it's no concern of Sox Fans

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Notes

How stupid do the Dark Clouds look now? The Sox had a 4.5 game lead and 17 games left to play when this thread started back on September 16. While the world seemed collapsing on many of the posters at WSI, some of us were smart enough to note the Sox were in great position. (Vegas oddsmakers noted the same thing, but what do they know about making odds, right?)

I used the analogy to a full NFL season to help illustrate the point, but I still didn't get through to the most obstinate of posters, behaving as though the collective fate of '03, '94, '67, '64 et al... was inevitably going to make the 2005 Sox break their hearts again. To hear them tell it, IT'S ALL ABOUT ME! And you wonder why I hold them in such contempt...

So all you NFLers, gaze now upon the math that was there for ALL OF US to understand over two weeks ago. In 15 games the surging Indians gained exactly two games on the Sox. They needed FIVE. And now the race is over -- and the NFL still has 3 "weeks" of games left to be played! The Sox already clinched. Not just the wild card, but the freaking division title!

There are a lot of posters here whose opinion I normally respect, but the whining over the course of the last 8 weeks -- and especially the last 4 -- was beyond pathetic and definitely beneath you. Next time do the math.

And as for your heart, get over yourselves.

And finally to Jurr, kudos to you for starting this thread, being brave, and standing tall. It was inspiration to most of us, and hopefully going forward to all of us, too.

Jurr
09-30-2005, 10:31 AM
How stupid do the Dark Clouds look now? The Sox had a 4.5 game lead and 17 games left to play when this thread started back on September 16. While the world seemed collapsing on many of the posters at WSI, some of us were smart enough to note the Sox were in great position. (Vegas oddsmakers noted the same thing, but what do they know about making odds, right?)

I used the analogy to a full NFL season to help illustrate the point, but I still didn't get through to the most obstinate of posters, behaving as though the collective fate of '03, '94, '67, '64 et al... was inevitably going to make the 2005 Sox break their hearts again. To hear them tell it, IT'S ALL ABOUT ME! And you wonder why I hold them in such contempt...

So all you NFLers, gaze now upon the math that was there for ALL OF US to understand over two weeks ago. In 15 games the surging Indians gained exactly two games on the Sox. They needed FIVE. And now the race is over -- and the NFL still has 3 "weeks" of games left to be played! The Sox already clinched. Not just the wild card, but the freaking division title!

There are a lot of posters here whose opinion I normally respect, but the whining over the course of the last 8 weeks -- and especially the last 4 -- was beyond pathetic and definitely beneath you. Next time do the math.

And as for your heart, get over yourselves.

Well put, my man. Cooler heads usually prevail, and this was no different. Some of the fans on this boards should take this as a lesson about sports.
If you're going to be a big fan of a team, you're going to make a big emotional investment (as well as a financial investment) in them. Screw the money, it's the psychological toll that gets you worse most times.

If you decide to be a "die hard fan", then you are most susceptible to getting your heart broken. But, the times where your boys pull it out feel SO GOOD, and it's worth it. The playoffs will be no different. The Sox may lose in three straight or they may win the whole damn thing. But, fans, you've gotta enjoy the ride no matter what happens. It's just really nice to see our boys playing September ball. It's happened 4 times since 1959. Wow. Enjoy it, and don't be afraid to have your hearts broken. It may end up very sweet for you.