PDA

View Full Version : Don't count your eggs...

lukesappling
09-16-2005, 03:33 PM
This recent skid has me thinking about everyone who kept crying that the Sox weren't getting enough media attention for their performance on the field. Well guys, first you have to win consistently to get respect. Half a season does not a season make...

Next time stop whining about the lack of media attention and start paying attention to the team.

Ol' No. 2
09-16-2005, 03:34 PM
This recent skid has me thinking about everyone who kept crying that the Sox weren't getting enough media attention for their performance on the field. Well guys, first you have to win consistently to get respect. Half a season does not a season make...

Next time stop whining about the lack of media attention and start paying attention to the team.They're getting TONS of media attention now. Be careful what you wish for.:(:

lukesappling
09-16-2005, 03:36 PM
No kidding, next time let the team's record do the speaking. Instead, all of us Sox fans whined that no one was paying attention. Consistent winning will attract attention!

mccoydp
09-16-2005, 03:38 PM
No kidding, next time let the team's record do the speaking. Instead, all of us Sox fans whined that no one was paying attention. Consistent winning will attract attention!

Exactly! That's the Cubs' key to getting media coverage! :cool:

UofCSoxFan
09-16-2005, 03:50 PM

I never once whined about not getting enough media attention...be careful when you say "all sox fans"...and try to admonish "all sox fans" for being wrong.

Hangar18
09-16-2005, 03:51 PM

Next time stop whining about the lack of media attention and start paying attention to the team.

Well, the SOX are the #1 subject on many of the fan talk shows, the news, and in print the last couple of weeks. Peculiar woudlnt you think? Some of the people in the Media are rightfully talking about the SOX while alot of them are Dancing with Glee at the possibility of bad things happening ............

I really find it Peculiar ......

SoxFan76
09-16-2005, 04:03 PM
Yeah the Sox are getting plenty of media attention now that they're choking. It was KILLING the media knowing the Sox were winning and taking momentum away from the Cubs. Now that the Sox are losing the media eats it up. They are loving this. They (the media) doesn't want any team not named the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, or any team without Barry Bonds making the playoffs.

Imagine this, the Indians, Cardinals, Padres, Boston, Sox, Angels, Atlanta, Houston. That's right, no Cubs, no Yankees, no Barry Bonds, what is ESPN going to do?

Norberto7
09-16-2005, 04:12 PM
Imagine this, the Indians, Cardinals, Padres, Boston, Sox, Angels, Atlanta, Houston. That's right, no Cubs, no Yankees, no Barry Bonds, what is ESPN going to do?

There you go.

Fake Chet Lemon
09-16-2005, 04:15 PM

Ouch. But the truth hurts. National Media attention is earned in October, not April, May and June.

34 Inch Stick
09-16-2005, 04:17 PM
They deserved the attention in the first half of the season....and they deserve it now.

The two are not mutually exclusive.

Rocky Soprano
09-16-2005, 04:18 PM
Well, the SOX are the #1 subject on many of the fan talk shows, the news, and in print the last couple of weeks. Peculiar woudlnt you think? Some of the people in the Media are rightfully talking about the SOX while alot of them are Dancing with Glee at the possibility of bad things happening ............

Well you're #1 when it comes to crying about the Sox not getting enough attention in the media. So now you should be happy.

lukesappling
09-16-2005, 04:23 PM
Guys! All I am trying to say is that consistent winning deserves attention, not fleeting success. Our crying earlier in the summer was unwarranted because the Sox haven't proven anything yet.

cheeses_h_rice
09-16-2005, 04:31 PM

More tinfoil chicanery from you, Hangar, and you really ought to know better.

The fact of the matter is, the Sox being 15 games in front and coasting to a division title just isn't a very interesting story for the media. Now you have Cleveland streaking like a comet in the sky and slowly catching up to the Sox, and I think anyone here would admit that this is a more newsworthy story. Plus, it's the end of the season, when all eyes start to focus on the various divisional and WC races.

Some Sox fans and some Sox players have groaned, moaned and talked out of the sides of their mouths most of the season about how it was unfair that the Yankees, Red Sox et al got the bulk of the media coverage. So here we are: the White Sox/Indians race is being discussed about as much as the BoSox/Yankees and NL and AL Wild Card races. The Sox and their fans got what they wanted, and that's the eyes of the country on them.

Now it's up to the Sox to shut up their doubters and prove that they justifiably deserved to be thought of as an elite team this year.

woodenleg
09-16-2005, 04:45 PM

erm....this is an old complaint. Like, decades old. Like, we had really good teams in the late fifties and in the sixties and the media never recognized that.

Then, when we DID have the best record, they ignored us.

Your logic is all screwy. We were winning consistently for several
months, and it went unacknowledged?

But "crying" and "whining"? No, my dear - we don't "whine" and "cry" -
I didn't even "whine" and "cry" in 2003 (of course that ended in a farce).

We were merely "observing", which I guess you're not supposed to do -
observe and document, because someone has to.

Spoilt victorian children "whine and cry". Since we weren't surprised by
any of this, it just wasn't there. Go back and look at the archives, and
all of the "dark clouds", even if the team was fifteen games up.

Sheesh. Some people don't have any long-term memories,
I guess.

Just getting down the facts y'all.

I mean, there's an inconsistency here, because other teams that
play good for only half a season get loads of attention.....

Some Sox fans and some Sox players have groaned, moaned and talked out of the sides of their mouths most of the season about how it was unfair that the Yankees, Red Sox et al got the bulk of the media coverage. So here we are: the White Sox/Indians race is being discussed about as much as the BoSox/Yankees and NL and AL Wild Card races. The Sox and their fans got what they wanted, and that's the eyes of the country on them.

Um...where is all of this "attention", 'cos I'm not seeing it.
Hell, even negative publicity is good publicity, don't you think?

As for the 4 1/2 game lead, I'm hardly smarting about it.
I mean, you'd think the Sox fans had no experience in these
matters.......

maurice
09-16-2005, 06:51 PM
The fact of the matter is, the Sox being 15 games in front and coasting to a division title just isn't a very interesting story for the media.

True, but the media would find it extremely interesting in the very unlikely event that the cubs were 15 games in front and coasting to a division title. I don't particularly want more media coverage. I just want fair media coverage.

TommyJohn
09-17-2005, 07:57 PM
More tinfoil chicanery from you, Hangar, and you really ought to know better.

The fact of the matter is, the Sox being 15 games in front and coasting to a division title just isn't a very interesting story for the media. Now you have Cleveland streaking like a comet in the sky and slowly catching up to the Sox, and I think anyone here would admit that this is a more newsworthy story. Plus, it's the end of the season, when all eyes start to focus on the various divisional and WC races.

Now it's up to the Sox to shut up their doubters and prove that they justifiably deserved to be thought of as an elite team this year.

Bah. I disagree, cheese. You know if the Cubs were 15 in front we would've
seen pullout sections every day, blaring headlines and interviews with
Grampa and Granny Gumjaws, who have been going to games since 1921
and are confident that this is the year. Also, unending stories about that
stupid curse and deep thoughts from Ron Santo and Andy Pafko. I truly
believe that many media jerks are giving the Sox attention because they
are jumping with glee. They are rooting for this and want it to happen.

Remember all the angst and teeth-gnashing over the Cubs in 2003 and 04?
Will the Sox get the same? No. The media will gleefully pronounce it the
greatest collapse on the history of baseball, and Jay Mariotti will obsess
over it in every White Sox article he writes from then on. Only difference
is that there won't be any helpless Woody Allen-looking fans to vilify.

Pasqua's UPS Man
09-17-2005, 09:08 PM
[QUOTE=TommyJohn]Bah. I disagree, cheese. You know if the Cubs were 15 in front we would've
seen pullout sections every day, blaring headlines and interviews with
Grampa and Granny Gumjaws, who have been going to games since 1921
and are confident that this is the year.

I agree.

hsnterprize
09-17-2005, 09:25 PM
The funniest thing about all this "whining" is I think if the Cubs were in this predicament, the media coverage would be overwhelming. Only a complete choke out of the playoffs would shut it off, and even after that, the Cubs would get more "popular" for another 1969-style loss rather than a winning season.

However, seeing the Sox' lead in the A.L. Central is all but vanished, the Sox potential collapse would be a pretty big story, too. I head people on ESPN Radio tonight talking about there being "panic in the streets of Chicago" if the Sox and Indians met next Monday with only 2.5 seperating the 2 teams. Cleveland has been playing like wildfire lately...you have to give them credit for that. The Sox, like Chesses says...now have the opportunity in the national spotlight to either quiet the critics by winning this division, or arousing all the naysayers and "experts" who predicted this team wasn't as good as the first half record indicated.

Bottom line...like I've said many times before...let the criticism come. The only people who can stop it are the men who wear the silver and black pinstripes on the field. The White Sox have to prove to the world they belong amongst the elite. Anything short of that, and this season might as well be a lost cause. Remember...being popular for losing doesn't work south of Madison Street.

greenpeach
09-17-2005, 11:38 PM
Gee whiz. no "Dark Clouds" references ???? I guess some of the snickering has stopped. I've been watching baseball since 1969 & this will beat even the Red Sox collapse of 1978, if only because they actually won 99 games & finished the regular season on an eight game winning streak to tie the Yankees on the last day of the regular season. I seriously doubt that this bunch wins more than four games the rest of the season. Even Ozzie, had all but conceded that the Sox had the division wrapped up at the beginning of September. Quite frankly, right now, he doesn't have a clue on how to right this sinking ship. Ozzie you're going to have the entire off-season to rest your starters my friend.

Soxfest
09-18-2005, 12:26 AM
Still time to get deal done:smile:

TomBradley72
09-18-2005, 12:38 AM
First of all this is a b.s. thread.

Secondly...even with all of our problems...as of tonight we have the #1 record in the American League, #2 record in the major leagues, and the largest lead of any AL Division leader. We're going to get the job done.:cool:

dannycater
09-18-2005, 12:56 AM
If the Sox don't make the playoffs, you better believe it will be all over BBTN, Sportcenter, and the sportsblab radio stations around the clock...15 games ahead and no playoffs would be the largest margin in MLB history, ahead of the 78' red sox at 14, and the '51 Brooklyn Dodgers at 13....

My God, you would think that legacy alone and the fear of living with it forever would ignite these players like they had just taken a gulp of Kryptonite....

mmmmmbeeer
09-18-2005, 12:56 AM
First of all this is a b.s. thread.

Secondly...even with all of our problems...as of tonight we have the #1 record in the American League, #2 record in the major leagues, and the largest lead of any AL Division leader. We're going to get the job done.:cool:

That's what absolutely kills me about this pickle we're in. Granted our team has been struggling, but, as you say, we still have the best AL record and 2nd best in MLB. The Indians are freakishly good right now and we're the sole beneficiaries of the wreckage they're leaving behind.

As far as the media coverage goes, has anyone noticed how LITTLE credit the Indians are getting for just playing at a ridiculous level while the Sox get MOST of the credit for this collapse.

TomBradley72
09-18-2005, 01:07 AM
The Indians are freakishly good right now and we're the sole beneficiaries of the wreckage they're leaving behind.

As far as the media coverage goes, has anyone noticed how LITTLE credit the Indians are getting for just playing at a ridiculous level while the Sox get MOST of the credit for this collapse.

Unfortunately...that's always the 2nd half of "epic collapses"...it's another team playing incredibly hot. The Sox are their own worst enemy...they've been playing "not to lose" for the last month. I still believe they can do well in the post season once they get thru this rough phase. They are definitely feeling the tension that comes with the Chicago media...and being a franchise that has accomplished nearly nothing (save 3 post season appearances, totaling 3 wins, zero at home) in the past 46 years.

Dan H
09-18-2005, 07:42 AM
I could care less about media attention. The only thing I want right now is a series win against Cleveland. If the Sox make the playoffs, they will get enough attention.

Tragg
09-18-2005, 07:55 AM
I believe that if we blow this, we set the ML record for collapses (it was the 51 dodgers at 13 game lead; I know we had at least a 13.5 game lead), so we will get media attention for the next 50 years.

And with all of the games left v. Cleveland, we'll have ample opportunity to blow this lead, should we be so inclined.
It would be nice to have a team that loses more than once every 2 weeks chasing us, though.

surfdudes
09-18-2005, 10:40 AM
This is what all the decent teams go through every(other) year. It's called a playoff race. Meaningful series in September and individual games are scrutinized, then re-scrutinized on ESPN and local networks. That gnawing feeling in my gut, and the rolaids in my briefcase are just reminders that my team is "in it". Some on these boards wish to have no "flavor for their fare" .
I wouldn't want it any other way. The Sox are 9 - 7 in September, which is hardly a collapse, but combine Cleveland playing out their wazoo, and the history of pathetic baseball in Chicago, and the Local / National Media will make it what they want it to be to sell papers or gain viewership. All this "collapse" will do is make the winning next week against Cleveland all the more exciting and satisfying. Go Sox!