PDA

View Full Version : Feder names Richard Roeper, Steve Lyons, J. Cangelosi as potential Rooney replacement

cheeses_h_rice
09-16-2005, 11:17 AM
Roeper wouldn't be bad, but Steve Lyons? He's an assclown (http://www.suntimes.com/output/feder/cst-fin-feder161.html).

Also, Jeff Torborg and Mike North's names are mentioned.

Vestigio
09-16-2005, 11:22 AM
I was hoping that Blackjack would be considered as a replacement ever since he sat in for Hawk when he had eye surgury

kittle42
09-16-2005, 11:24 AM
Would Roeper leave his other gigs to be a full-time Sox broadcaster? If not, he'd be way too busy.

JRIG
09-16-2005, 11:33 AM
I was hoping we'd be able to get at least one professional broadcaster out of the four slots available on TV and radio, but it looks like that's not going to happen.

SouthSide_HitMen
09-16-2005, 11:34 AM
Would Roeper leave his other gigs to be a full-time Sox broadcaster? If not, he'd be way too busy.

Roeper makes more money with his movie reviews on TV vs. being a color guy for White Sox radio so unless this is some sort of "life long dream" I doubt it. I don't like "Psycho" and North. I still think making Farmeo PBP is a mistake and I question moving him - was it a negotiation ploy with Rooney - and when did they offer to switch him in the process (also was it something he asked for or something The Score wanted from day 1 which was the reason for lowballing Rooney). I originally thought The Score already had someone in mind when the made the Friday of Labor Day weekend announcement who they wanted to introduce the following week but that never happened. The debacle continues.

veeter
09-16-2005, 11:46 AM
Just because Roeper is a media guy and is a Sox fan what makes him qualified? I saw him on Chicago Trib Live with Jiggets and he's just another cheap shot media guy. His comments weren't providing any profound insight. When Jiggets said he liked Jenks, Roeper was like 'yeah if you like seeing his 100 mph pitches get hit twice as hard.' I'm thinking, do you actually watch the games? Jenks has been terrific. If the Score wants to think outside of the box, have a tryout amongst all the really intelligent Sox fans out there. I'm sure one of us could handle the job.

White Sox Randy
09-16-2005, 11:49 AM
I have been a White Sox fan for about 35 years.

I love the White Sox - wear Sox apparrel almost everyday, have Sox stickers on my cars and have my office full of White Sox memorabilia.

But, if Mike North becomes a Sox announcer.....I would seriously reconsider my allegiance to the White Sox.

chitownhawkfan
09-16-2005, 11:52 AM
I think North would be decent, he would at least make it interesting. I've got an idea, lets just resign John Rooney, oh wait, thats right the Score is to cheap to pay the greatest announcer in baseball what he's worth and now he is gone forever.:whiner:

munchman33
09-16-2005, 11:59 AM
I wouldn't mind any of these guys, except maybe North.

NardiWasHere
09-16-2005, 11:59 AM
But, if Mike North becomes a Sox announcer.....I would seriously reconsider my allegiance to the White Sox.

That's just stupid

cheeses_h_rice
09-16-2005, 12:04 PM
IMO, I think it's Jeff Torborg who's got the inside track to get the job. He's got a history with the Sox from his time as manager, and I believe he has done Sox game radio in the past and still is a professional broadcaster now on national radio.

The only problem I'd have with him is that he and Farmer have similar voices and a similarly dry/uninflected tone of voice and that could get really monotonous over a three-hour game. Roeper would make a decent "guest" host on occasion despite his lack of experience. I haven't heard John Cangelosi before, and Mike North and Steve Lyons are clownbags who shouldn't merit serious consideration.

BeviBall!
09-16-2005, 12:05 PM
North would make Butkus sound like Hemmingway.

peeonwrigley
09-16-2005, 12:11 PM
IMO, I think it's Jeff Torborg who's got the inside track to get the job. He's got a history with the Sox from his time as manager, and I believe he has done Sox game radio in the past and still is a professional broadcaster now on national radio.

The only problem I'd have with him is that he and Farmer have similar voices and a similarly dry/uninflected tone of voice and that could get really monotonous over a three-hour game. Roeper would make a decent "guest" host on occasion despite his lack of experience. I haven't heard John Cangelosi before, and Mike North and Steve Lyons are clownbags who shouldn't merit serious consideration.

I'm not a huge fan of two former players in the radio booth. In the rare occasion I listen on the radio I'd like to hear what is going on in the game... I just feel that the Farmer and another player would tell worthless stories about some obscure minor league city in which they both have an illegitimate child.

I like the idea of another professional broadcaster coming to take over the PBP, and leave Farmer doing whatever it is he does for continuity.

On the TV side it doesn't really matter because both guys are essentially there for commentary, as you see the play yourself. But there's a great deal of description involved on the radio side so I would really like someone with extensive PBP experience. To me, that's more important than the guy being a Sox fan.

Fenway
09-16-2005, 12:14 PM
cripes why not offer Steve Dahl the job

munchman33
09-16-2005, 12:19 PM
I think I'd like to see Lyons get it....it'll add a little fun to the broadcast, if nothing else.

BainesHOF
09-16-2005, 12:30 PM
Lyons is very boring as an announcer.

The only halfway decent candidate mentioned in this thread so far is Torborg, and even he doesn't do a lot for me. Don't forget we already have a former player in the radio booth in Farmer. What we need is a great play-by-play guy.

I don't see why the station can't just give Rooney a raise and be done with it. It's bad business not to bring him back. But the Score's made a multitude of bad decisions. It's run by a bunch of hacks. It's really a garbage station so not bringing back is not surprising in the least.

mike squires
09-16-2005, 12:32 PM
I think I'd like to see Lyons get it....it'll add a little fun to the broadcast, if nothing else.

I actually kinda like Lyons as well. He'd me a good color man for radio anyway, IMO.

Shok
09-16-2005, 12:39 PM

I'm with you here. Mike North is a buffoon. Let him be a cheerleader on his trainwreck of a radio show. I'd rather listen to the other team's radio team v. North. Maybe I'll get satellite radio...boo.

Madvora
09-16-2005, 01:01 PM
Torborg is by far the best and my favorite. I'll take him.

kittle42
09-16-2005, 01:07 PM
As I was running last night, I had the Cubs game on as I passed Wrigley running, because I think it;s fun to run past a park while there's a game on for some reason...anyway...I heard something from Ronnie that reminded me of what North might be like. Paraphrasing...

[John Rodriguez hitting for the Cards]
Santo: "That rookie on the Phillies. He's having a good year..what's his name..."

Pat: "Um.."

Santo: "Rodriguez!" [note: Ronnie of course came up with this because Rodriguez is hitting]

Pat: "No, I don't think that;s right, but I know who you're talking about."

Santo: "Ramirez? Ramirez!"

Pat: "Actually, Ron, it's Ryan Howard."

Santo: "yeah - Ryan - he's good."

The exchange between Farmer and North would be the same, except here would be the end:

North: "Yeah - Ryan - he's good. I tell ya, all them Mexican names sound alike to me anyway. Who can tell 'em apart, ya know, Ed?"

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-16-2005, 01:07 PM
Yeah, North and Lyons. We get Ron Santo type comments, with an age difference of 20 years. Great.
I'd rather listen to Helen Keller than those two.

Torborg....

:hawk

YES!

SouthSide_HitMen
09-16-2005, 01:21 PM
I can't see Steve Stone, Steve Lyons or Jeff Torborg taking a demotion from TV to do the radio color job. Less money, less prestige.

Lip Man 1
09-16-2005, 01:27 PM
For what it is worth:

I can tell you that the White Sox organization has received numerous e-mails from fans very upset that Mike North is even being 'considered' (and I use that term in the broadest sense...) for the position. Remember he met with Boyer and another official yesterday according to that story.

Put two and two together folks.....Mike North is not going to get that job. Period. End of discussion. Remember never have you read or heard or seen ANY White Sox official actually commenting on North being a candidate. It has all been coming out of the columnists, North himself and WMVP.

Roeper may be a nice change of pace occasionally but the odds are astronomical that the Sox and the radio station will hire a former Sox player or manager to fill the bill. I'd prefer Torborg myself.

Lip

Hitmen77
09-16-2005, 02:02 PM
John Cangelosi? What's wrong - was Harry Chappas not available?

bennyw41
09-16-2005, 02:19 PM
Can North Logistically do it with his mornign show? also, Randy, If you are going to stop being a fan of a baseball team because of announcers, then perhaps you should reconsider things...

SouthSide_HitMen
09-16-2005, 02:34 PM
I wouldn't mind any of these guys, except maybe North.

There is someone even worse than "Mike Nort" who fits in the Scores budget. Many may think that is not possible but when it comes to The Score you can expect the worst (i.e. - Such as not signing Rooney and making Farmer PBP).

Meet cheap and stupid WSCR style:

http://www.670thescore.com/graphics/pic_sm_mike_murphy.jpg (http://www.670thescore.com/onair/mike_murphy.shtml)

"Yeah, I am a man of the fans. I love baseball. I may even slip in a few observations regarding the White Sox if I get the color gig - but I will still have my eyes glued to the cubs feed."

Missouri Sox Fan
09-16-2005, 02:36 PM
Straight from Brooks...Ventura and BlackJack not interested

Hangar18
09-16-2005, 03:15 PM
I don't see why the station can't just give Rooney a raise and be done with it. It's bad business not to bring him back. But the Score's made a multitude of bad decisions. It's run by a bunch of hacks.

Im with that , lets just KEEP ROONEY Though Roeper is an interesting guy

Foulke You
09-16-2005, 03:31 PM
I wouldn't be too upset with Torborg but I agree with a previous poster's comment about two monotone type deliveries in the booth might get too dry for a radio broadcast. Torborg does no his stuff though and he is good buddies with Ozzie and has ties to the team as a former manager. I could also see decent chemistry between Farmer and Lyons in the booth. Lyons has a distinctive upbeat tempo to his voice that could complement Farmer's monotone a bit better on radio than Torborg would. Lyons is a former Sox player and I found him to be satisfactory on Fox Game of the Week duties and usually kept Cub fan announcers Josh Lewin or Thom Breneman in line when they covered Sox vs Cubs games. He isn't John Rooney but we could do a lot worse than Lyons (*cough* Mike North *cough*) I'm not quite sure where this hatred of "Psycho" is coming from in some of the other posts.:?:

ChiSoxRowand
09-16-2005, 03:32 PM
My first choice would be Dave Wills, but that's not going to happen. Torborg would be my next choice. Lyons wouldn't be too bad. North and Roeper would be horrible.

StillMissOzzie
09-16-2005, 04:26 PM

Come in off the ledge, WS Randy. I've stuck with this team through three different owners, let alone many different media faces & voices. You can't let their choice (and yes, I understand the White Sox do still have approval rights) for a new radio voice drive your passion for this team. And by all accounts, North is a longshot at best.

SMO
:gulp:

spongyfungy
09-16-2005, 04:30 PM
My first choice would be Dave Wills, but that's not going to happen. Torborg would be my next choice. Lyons wouldn't be too bad. North and Roeper would be horrible.

If he just stayed another year...... :whiner: He'd be the no.1 natural replacement. I'm sure he'd love to be here right now but he had to do what he had to do back then...

I agree that we should not get celebrities like North and Roeper. The candidate must have to stand getting spoken over all the time.

StillMissOzzie
09-16-2005, 04:31 PM
North would make Butkus sound like Hemmingway.

I must have missed Ernie as either the PBP or the color man on any game I've listened to.

Roeper, the one-man anti-unemployment act? He might have to give up one of his other dozen jobs. I'd at least like the White Sox game to be the new radio voice's highest priority. That said, I could live with Psycho or Torborg.

SMO
:gulp:

Stoky44
09-16-2005, 05:25 PM
Wills......Wills......anyone, anyone........Wills

DAVE WILLS would be my choice. Who cares if he is in the first year of his deal, contracts don't mean anything anymore. If we want him bad enough we can get him.... but I guess if we didn't want to pay Rooney, there is no chance of getting Dave Wills to break his current deal.

Dick Allen
09-16-2005, 06:31 PM
It almost doesn't matter to me who they get as a color analyst, it's still going to be Farmer doing PBP, which is not a good thing at all. The Score is just intolerable. Every time they make a lineup change, the station gets worse. They've managed to screw up the Sox coverage already.

Lip Man 1
09-16-2005, 06:32 PM
Look at it this way if WSCR wasn't willing to pay the money to keep Rooney in the first place, then why do you think they would pay additional money to buy out the last year of Dave's contract to bring him back, then have to pay him for doing the work?

Lip

Daver
09-16-2005, 06:42 PM
I nominate the former voice of the Rockford Lightning for PBP next to Farmer as colorman, Scot Bertram.

Banix12
09-16-2005, 07:11 PM
I've never heard Cangelosi broadcast so I don't know much about him. I do remember him playing though. I don't have any real problem with Lyons, he's been solid as a TV guy but he seems to have fallen out of favor on FOX where he seems to be a lesser broadcaster for them lately.

I am very intrigued by the Idea of Roeper. I'm pretty sure it would be possible for him to do both the movie review show and broadcasts at the same time, though I'm sure it would be time consuming. I don't think though it would work out in the long run.

I get the feeling they would probably like Wills as well and might consider hiring someone for the short term and wait for his contract to run out. Who knows.

jehosaphat
09-16-2005, 10:04 PM

Lyons is good, IMO - he knows the game and I think he'd be a good match with Farmer

PS: North would get old after the 3rd pitch

kitekrazy
09-16-2005, 11:08 PM
The Score is just intolerable. Every time they make a lineup change, the station gets worse. They've managed to screw up the Sox coverage already.

No kidding. I'm starting to listen to ESPN radio.

Besides most baseball owners only allow "yes" men to announce games. Even Stone who is quite professional was in trouble and he got out.

I wish they could replace Hawk and DJ.

santo=dorf
09-16-2005, 11:25 PM
Richard Roeper?

:farmer
"What a stab by Uribe!!! We're giving that one two thumbs up!"

http://www.cnn.com/2000/fyi/teachers.offcampus/11/30/richard.roeper/story.roeper.jpg
"Ed, you can't use that line every game."

"Why not? You and Roger use it every show."

How about Ron Karkovice? He's always had a face for radio. :redneck

Banix12
09-17-2005, 01:24 AM
Richard Roeper?

"What a stab by Uribe!!! We're giving that one two thumbs up!"

http://www.cnn.com/2000/fyi/teachers.offcampus/11/30/richard.roeper/story.roeper.jpg
"Ed, you can't use that line every game."

"Why not? You and Roger use it every show."

How about Ron Karkovice? He's always had a face for radio. :redneck

Raises an interesting point. If Roeper did get the job would he be able to use the phrase thumbs up? As i recall Roger Ebert and the show hold a copyright on that phrase.

Andy T Clown
09-17-2005, 09:49 AM
Get Wills!!!!!!!!!

SOXSINCE'70
09-17-2005, 09:58 AM
North is a long shot at best. If Roeper did accept,it would be on a
part time basis.He would not give up gigs at the Scum Times or
his Ebert/Roeper gig.I like Torborg as an analyst,but Ramblin'
Ed Farmer as a PBP?? I know he used to do Sunday games on
WMAQ in the early 90's before becoming a full time analyst,
but this is still a reach.My message to SNORE drillrod Mitch Rosen
can be paraphrased by something I once heard windbag Jim Rome