PDA

View Full Version : I hate magic numbers

Fenway
09-16-2005, 09:08 AM
I remember back in July when the Sun-Times starting printing the White Sox magic number ( The Tribune quickly did the same ) and thinking "are they insane?"

I can remembering visiting Chicago for the first time in 1969 and seeing the Cubs magic number in late July, and we all know how that turned out :smile:

For some reason neither Boston paper has done it this year

I also don't like a team selling playoff tickets before they know for sure they are playing. ( looking at my collection of World Series tickets never played )

harwar
09-16-2005, 10:15 AM
The only people around Chicago talking about magic numbers at this time are cubs fans.
White Sox fans just want to put some wins together.

ma-gaga
09-16-2005, 11:37 AM
I remember back in July when the Sun-Times starting printing the White Sox magic number ( The Tribune quickly did the same ) and thinking "are they insane?"

I remember a long time ago, 1991, the Star Tribune did the same, but I think they started the number around 35. The Twins had a small division lead, but it certainly wasn't a foregone conclusion. I remember it NOW being really cool, but that year had a 15 game winning streak, and a pretty happy ending.

That's really what this year comes down to. Which team has the happiest ending.

:cool: