PDA

View Full Version : Will the Injuns retaliate?

HotelWhiteSox
09-15-2005, 11:36 PM
A little premature since the series starts Monday, but the last time we played them we walked out of there with a 4 game sweep and Hafner got hit in the face. You think they'll retaliate? I don't remember if they ended up doing in that series, did they hit Dye? I don't think they want to risk suspensions at this stage though.

This might get a 'who cares' tag since other discussions are going, but that's why I made it, to take the focus out of the different record scenarios and suicidal threads.

No matter what, this is going to be an awesome series, talk about atmosphere, can't wait for Monday.

I guess this can also serve as a pregame type thread as well.

According to MLB.com, they are throwing Millwood on Monday, Westbrook on Tuesday. Nothing given for Wednesday, but if this rotation holds up Elarton on Wednesday.

http://www.topnotchforums.com/forum/images/smiles/nails.gif

Can't wait!

:sunshine:

SoxSpeed22
09-15-2005, 11:55 PM
Buehrle did not intend to hit Hafner and he felt terrible about it afterward. I won't be surprised if they try and go after us first, this may be the kick in the butt we need.

fuzzy_patters
09-16-2005, 12:12 AM
Buehrle did not intend to hit Hafner and he felt terrible about it afterward. I won't be surprised if they try and go after us first, this may be the kick in the butt we need.

We should anticipate this and go after them first. The team that retaliates is always the team that gets its pitcher ejected. They never eject the guy that starts it.

hose
09-16-2005, 12:34 AM
That stuff with Hafner is over. I would be surprised if anything comes up between the Sox and Indians in the next couple of weeks.

OzzieBall2004
09-16-2005, 12:51 AM
According to MLB.com, they are throwing Millwood on Monday, Westbrook on Tuesday. Nothing given for Wednesday, but if this rotation holds up Elarton on Wednesday.

Is McCarthy going Monday for sure?

downstairs
09-16-2005, 09:41 AM
We should anticipate this and go after them first. The team that retaliates is always the team that gets its pitcher ejected. They never eject the guy that starts it.

At this point, unless its Contreras, I don't care so much about ejecting ANY of our starters. Please do us the favor!

I don't know if I believe the whole thing about a brawl "bringing a team together"... but part of me hopes that someone gets plucked, and an all-out brawl erupts. Not pushing and shoving, but an ugly, nasty fight.

Frater Perdurabo
09-16-2005, 09:43 AM
Start Jenks in the first game, just to bean Hafner with a 102 MPH fastball square on his thigh. :redneck

Unregistered
09-16-2005, 09:55 AM
At this point, unless its Contreras, I don't care so much about ejecting ANY of our starters. Please do us the favor!

I don't know if I believe the whole thing about a brawl "bringing a team together"... but part of me hopes that someone gets plucked, and an all-out brawl erupts. Not pushing and shoving, but an ugly, nasty fight.As great as that sounds, if it was really that "ugly and nasty," we'd see a handful of suspensions going into the playoffs. We really don't need Willie Harris, Timo Perez and Joe Borchard starting in the ALDS because half of our team is suspended. Not exactly the best way to make a splash in the playoffs.

slavko
09-16-2005, 10:22 AM
Start Jenks in the first game, just to bean Hafner with a 102 MPH fastball square on his thigh. :redneck

Unless someone is a lower life form, his bean is his head. It's an analogy, see? And as far as us getting energy from an act of violence against one of our players, look back to Hunter obliterating Burke. Maybe we're different this year. Any source of energy would be appreciated at this time.

kevingrt
09-16-2005, 10:54 AM
That stuff with Hafner is over. I would be surprised if anything comes up between the Sox and Indians in the next couple of weeks.

Very true Hose, I don't think anything will come up from the four game series we played way back in July. A lot of things have changed since then, and since these two series are so big I don't think any players or teams wanna jeopardize there chances at the playoffs trying to start a scuffle.

peeonwrigley
09-16-2005, 11:05 AM
As great as that sounds, if it was really that "ugly and nasty," we'd see a handful of suspensions going into the playoffs. We really don't need Willie Harris, Timo Perez and Joe Borchard starting in the ALDS because half of our team is suspended. Not exactly the best way to make a splash in the playoffs.

I thought suspensions didn't go into the playoffs. I don't want to see any of our guys suspended for the stretch run.

But I'm thinking when Alomar spit in the umps face he went ahead and played in the playoffs and then finished the suspension at the beginning of the next season?

Sox Blue 69-70
09-16-2005, 11:06 AM
As great as that sounds, if it was really that "ugly and nasty," we'd see a handful of suspensions going into the playoffs. We really don't need Willie Harris, Timo Perez and Joe Borchard starting in the ALDS because half of our team is suspended. Not exactly the best way to make a splash in the playoffs.

Very true, but I still wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of retaliation. They've (the Jndjans) had a bit of that situation with the Twins already this year. Other teams have been throwing at the Sox this year, and the umpires seemed to be indifferent about it. Who knows?

Lip Man 1
09-16-2005, 12:42 PM
Nothing is going to happen. There is to much at stake for both teams to run around acting like eight year olds.

Lip

HotelWhiteSox
09-16-2005, 12:48 PM
Eh, we'll see, I still think they're going to throw at one of our hitters, Hafner being gone put them in a little cold spell, and I doubt they'll even get an ejection if being the first to throw at our hitters, unless there are warnings before the games which would be lame. This could be a motivation factor, I don't know, they were in our division, I'm sure they know all about the Hunter/Burke situation.

If this happens it will suck, because it will be the story of what has happened all season. They'd be able to hit us and we'd get ejected if retaliating.

SoxSpeed22
09-16-2005, 01:29 PM
I thought suspensions didn't go into the playoffs. I don't want to see any of our guys suspended for the stretch run.

But I'm thinking when Alomar spit in the umps face he went ahead and played in the playoffs and then finished the suspension at the beginning of the next season?That's why I say go forward with it, if necessary. Because the suspension policy is nothing more than a pathetic joke. The only problem is injuries, which is why I would rather it happen in August than possibly the end of the season. Besides, Cleveland is not the team to do any antics against because they would be more fired up than they already are and we don't need that. Minnesota or no one.

Fake Chet Lemon
09-16-2005, 01:41 PM
Ever notice the teams always worried about "sending a message" don't seem to win a lot of games? I'm glad Ozzie doesn't tend to play these games. The teams in the AL that do usually suck. But Tony LaRussa on the other hand, he tends to play those games AND WIN. He's an exception, one of the best.

1951Campbell
09-16-2005, 01:47 PM
My Indians fan friend told me "thanks for hitting Hafner. It finally knocked some sense into him at the plate, and he's been hitting near .400 since."