PDA

View Full Version : Cardinals clinch the NL Central

cheeses_h_rice
09-15-2005, 09:48 PM
Well, still going with a huge rainstorm, but just a formality at this point.

Congrats to the Redbirds.

beckett21
09-15-2005, 09:52 PM
That would be the NL Comedy Central, I presume. :redneck

Congrats.

cheeses_h_rice
09-15-2005, 09:54 PM
I might have posted too soon. Eckstein just slipped on the dirt, now the bases are loaded for the Flubs and the tarp is back on the field.

Stay tuned. It's a 5-run deficit with 1 out to go, so the game might just be called.

chisoxmike
09-15-2005, 09:58 PM
Ah, if they pull out tonight's game, their magic number goes down to 1 becuase the Astros won today. Not to get technical or anything.:D:

cheeses_h_rice
09-15-2005, 10:05 PM
Ah, if they pull out tonight's game, their magic number goes down to 1 becuase the Astros won today. Not to get technical or anything.:D:

:redface:

I may have misheard the Score's reporting earlier today; I thought they said that the Cards would win the Central if they won tonight, but you're right, all they did was clinch at least a tie with the Astros. Or they might have said the Cardinals could clinch tonight, which is correct.

My bad.

:redface:

chisoxmike
09-15-2005, 10:19 PM
Well, now SportsNite is saying the Cards can clinch tonight. So someones right. The Cardnials web site says the magic # is 2. Astros won today so with a cardinals win, the magic number goes to 1.

Regardless, the Cardinals are going to win the NL Central. Sadly, they, the Braves, and ****ing Padres look like the only locks right now.

HotelWhiteSox
09-15-2005, 10:25 PM
Well, now SportsNite is saying the Cards can clinch tonight. So someones right. The Cardnials web site says the magic # is 2. Astros won today so with a cardinals win, the magic number goes to 1.

Regardless, the Cardinals are going to win the NL Central. Sadly, they, the Braves, and ****ing Padres look like the only locks right now.

I thought the same thing, but now that I think about it, it might be that you clinch when it's at 1?

CubsfansareDRUNK
09-15-2005, 10:27 PM

yes, but the NL wild card race is nuts

cheeses_h_rice
09-15-2005, 10:33 PM
I thought the same thing, but now that I think about it, it might be that you clinch when it's at 1?

ESPN News is saying "clinch" as in "clinch the division," but the numbers indicate that all they're doing tonight is clinching a tie, at the very worst.

Whatever, it's pretty unlikely that the Cards will lose the rest of their games and the 'Stros win all theirs.</understatement>

Jjav829
09-15-2005, 11:20 PM
Does this mean that Flubs fans have to give up their hopes of winning the NL Central? :redneck

Damn, and I really thought this was the year they were gonna do it, too!

LuvSox
09-15-2005, 11:49 PM
So, the Cards are going to clinch at Wrigley in front of those losers. That's pretty damn funny!!!!!!!!!

:)

SouthSide_HitMen
09-15-2005, 11:57 PM
I bet my nun 5 Rosaries on the Cardinals (she had Milwaukee) in the 1982 World Series in Middle School. I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for the Cardinals.

I hope we meet them in the World Series - I want to beat the best.

:lsox vs. http://whatintarnation.net/blog/archives/images/St._Louis_Cardinals.jpg

Game 1 Saturday October 22 - Time 7:30 CDT - TV Fox (mute for) Radio 1000 AM (Rooney & Farmer).

StockdaleForVeep
09-16-2005, 12:25 AM
That would be the NL Comedy Central, I presume. :redneck

Congrats.

Regardless, their record is the best in the majors and still have lost a handful of times to the cubs

peeonwrigley
09-16-2005, 12:29 AM
Sportscenter said LaRusa isn't gonna let them celebrate until they win tomorrow.

ChiSoxRowand
09-16-2005, 12:39 AM
The standings on MLB.com say their magic # is 1. Maybe they clinched a playoff spot tonight?

peeonwrigley
09-16-2005, 12:59 AM
There's 3 potential wins for the Cards out there this weekend, and there's 3 potential losses for the 'Stros... so odds are good they're gonna be popping the champagne at Wrigley. :D::D:

HotelWhiteSox
09-16-2005, 01:06 AM
ESPNEWS is saying they clinched the division. This was obviously coming, but I am must be missing something, the magic # system is flawed?

CardsJimEdmonds1
09-16-2005, 01:26 AM
ESPNEWS is saying they clinched the division. This was obviously coming, but I am must be missing something, the magic # system is flawed?

Alright. The Cardinals won, the Astros won.. So it's down to #1.. The thing is if Philadelphia lost to Atlanta and the Astros beat the Marlins they CLINCH a playoff spot because at the worst the Cards could tie the Marlins, Phillies for the WC at worst if they lost all their games from here on out. Well Philly lost.

They've clinched a playoff spot because in case of a tie with Houston they win the tie breaker since they take the season series even if they lose the last 2 games against them.

Cardinals actually clinched a tie.. It was actually the same situation kinda last year. Until the Magic Number is 0, Tony wont let them celebrate.

Yeah something like that.:)

HotelWhiteSox
09-16-2005, 01:41 AM
They've clinched a playoff spot because in case of a tie with Houston they win the tie breaker since they take the season series even if they lose the last 2 games against them.

This is what I was thinking, but ESPNEWS claims it as a 'divison title'. Again we knew it was happening, but whatever.

About the tie. Why in this case St. Louis would get in because of the season series but with the Sox/Cleveland there would be another game and it was determined by a coin toss? I don't know, I should go to bed, too late, not thinking straight.

Also, :welcome:

ChiSoxRowand
09-16-2005, 02:44 PM
Alright. The Cardinals won, the Astros won.. So it's down to #1.. The thing is if Philadelphia lost to Atlanta and the Astros beat the Marlins they CLINCH a playoff spot because at the worst the Cards could tie the Marlins, Phillies for the WC at worst if they lost all their games from here on out. Well Philly lost.

Cardinals actually clinched a tie.. It was actually the same situation kinda last year. Until the Magic Number is 0, Tony wont let them celebrate.

Yeah something like that.:)
That is what I was thinking. In order for the astros to tie the Cardinals they would have to win out and have the Cardinals lose out. If that happened the Cardinals would win the division and the astros the wild card because of the head to head tie breaker.

CardsJimEdmonds1
09-16-2005, 06:33 PM
Cardinals lost to the Cubs today so the Magic Number is still 1.. But if Houston loses to Milwaukee tonight it's zero and we officially clinch. They wont celebrate tonight. It'll have to wait til tommorow's game. Mulder vs Maddux.. I'm certain we'll wanna win then celebrate no matter what really but if HOU does lose tonight if we lose tommorow we could still celebrate although I dont think we will.

Cowhead418
09-16-2005, 06:54 PM
This is what I was thinking, but ESPNEWS claims it as a 'divison title'. Again we knew it was happening, but whatever.

About the tie. Why in this case St. Louis would get in because of the season series but with the Sox/Cleveland there would be another game and it was determined by a coin toss? I don't know, I should go to bed, too late, not thinking straight.

Also, :welcome:
Yeah why is that? Why would we have to play a tiebreaker in Cleveland?

CardsJimEdmonds1
09-16-2005, 07:19 PM
Could be celebrating no matter what happens tommorow (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/recap?gid=250916116)

The Cardinals planned to celebrate after Saturday's game if the second-place Astros lost to Milwaukee on Friday night.

By the way how do I go about changing my username to JimEdmonds15 .. I wanted CardsJimEdmonds15 but it was too long so I just went with the 1 :redface:

CLR01
09-16-2005, 08:57 PM
Just re-register the new name. This one will be killed.

JimEdmonds15
09-17-2005, 11:45 AM
Just re-register the new name. This one will be killed.

Well I really didnt want to but I did.. I'm back.. Hopefully today we can beat the Cubs and finally celebrate :angry:

soxjim
09-17-2005, 03:46 PM
Well now its offical, the Cards clinched at wrigley. Way to go Cards. Still think the SOX will clinch in Detroit.

RKMeibalane
09-17-2005, 04:11 PM
The Cubune probably thinks the Cubs can still make the playoffs.

JimEdmonds15
09-17-2005, 08:49 PM
This article (http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050917&content_id=1213793&vkey=news_stl&fext=.jsp&c_id=stl) explain everything this team has been about.

CHICAGO -- Abraham Nunez stood in the middle of the St. Louis clubhouse with his T-shirt soaked with champagne and a smile as wide as they come, and paused for a moment to find words for his first division title experience.

The situation was a tad overwhelming for the Cardinals third baseman. After his team beat the Cubs, 5-1, on Saturday to clinch the National League Central Division, Nunez was given the first bottle of champagne to pop and asked to make the speech.

Now, just a few minutes after the celebration had begun, he was trying to find the words for what this honor meant to him -- and for that, it took a bit of time.

"You can't explain those feelings," Nunez said with eyes sparkling from the tears. "Coming from a manager like Tony La Russa and having me pop the first bottle ... he made my career right there."

"It was his first time, and he's been so critical for us," La Russa said. "That was a really memorable moment right there. He made a little speech, and that's a keeper. It's an extra-special day."

Mohoney
09-20-2005, 04:14 PM
After the heartbreak of last year, I think that this team will win it all this year. They're going to breeze through the NL playoffs, and will be well-rested and poised when they go up against whoever emerges from the absolute street brawl that the AL playoffs will be.