PDA

View Full Version : This team needs a leader

veeter
09-15-2005, 09:17 PM
In observing other cities win championships I've always wanted that special player on the Sox. Guys like Robbie Alomar (Toronto), Jeter, Gibson (Dodgers) or Thurmon Munson. Players that would take over a game to preserve victory. Guys that would undoubtedly come through in the clutch. Guys the team leaned on and he held them up. I don't see that guy on the Sox. With the recent down turn I'm reflecting and hoping he's in the dugout somewhere. Is it McCarthy? Is it Anderson or Jenks? Will he please stand up.

OzzieBall2004
09-15-2005, 09:22 PM
The problem has been the pitching. That's a fact.

sthbndsox
09-15-2005, 09:26 PM
I think Jenks could be the man in the playoffs. He's been fantastic except for that one outing against the A's.

OzzieBall2004
09-15-2005, 09:29 PM
I think Jenks could be the man in the playoffs. He's been fantastic except for that one outing against the A's.

Uhhh...he gave up a run today. He gave up bombs to Ortiz and Graffanino (granted, there should have been 3 outs). The kids stuff is electric, but lets not try to annoint a new Christ, lets just win the division and roll the dice in the playoffs, ideal as division champs with homefield advantage.

BeviBall!
09-15-2005, 09:39 PM
Our leader is in a cast. No one else wants the job.

I_Liked_Manuel
09-15-2005, 09:48 PM
no, this team needs a manager

Hosey22
09-15-2005, 09:48 PM
I find that even with all that's going on recently I still have faith that this team is going to come through. But the one thing that they seem to need now is a Positive attitude and someone to stress that. It seems to me that lately the team is playing not to lose, instead of playing to win. We should go into this week thinking "Let's beat the hell out of the twins and take it to the Indians and win this thing" not thinking "Well if we split with the indians in the final 6 and they lose to so and so."

That is not the attitude that a Championship caliber team should have, and it's up to the manager and coaching staff, and/or a team leader to step up and say that. I don't know what's going on inside the clubhouse, but it always seems to me that Ozzie has this moping attitude after a bad loss. We need someone to get pissed off in there and get aggressive. I don't know what you guys think but I really think we need to have the right attitude to win this thing, regardless of how things have gone this past week.

TheOldRoman
09-15-2005, 09:50 PM
Going from your username alone, you have no credibility whatsoever in judging managers.

I_Liked_Manuel
09-15-2005, 09:56 PM
Going from your username alone, you have no credibility whatsoever in judging managers.

you're right. ozzie's been doing a fabulous job. maybe he should just go turn the boombox on.

Lip Man 1
09-15-2005, 09:58 PM
Ozzie's not perfect but he's gotten the team overhauled and in first place for the entire season. What did Manager Gandhi do besides tinker, blow the division in 2003 and sleep in the dugout.

Seriously.

"The first part of the season is for playing everyone, the second part is for winning..."--Manager Gandhi.

Lip

I_Liked_Manuel
09-15-2005, 09:59 PM
i'm not pandering for jerry to come back, but i can guarantee you that our starters wouldn't look like they're throwing in mud right now.

WhiteSox12482
09-15-2005, 10:04 PM
I find that even with all that's going on recently I still have faith that this team is going to come through. But the one thing that they seem to need now is a Positive attitude and someone to stress that. It seems to me that lately the team is playing not to lose, instead of playing to win. We should go into this week thinking "Let's beat the hell out of the twins and take it to the Indians and win this thing" not thinking "Well if we split with the indians in the final 6 and they lose to so and so."

That is not the attitude that a Championship caliber team should have, and it's up to the manager and coaching staff, and/or a team leader to step up and say that. I don't know what's going on inside the clubhouse, but it always seems to me that Ozzie has this moping attitude after a bad loss. We need someone to get pissed off in there and get aggressive. I don't know what you guys think but I really think we need to have the right attitude to win this thing, regardless of how things have gone this past week.

The attitude your taalking about showed up today, just in the 8th inning after KC got thier runs. I think when Iguchi hit that double it gave them hope again. I think this team now has the right attitude. Go out there and kill. I wouldn't be surprised if they put together a winning streak, it's possible. I think we will see a different team tommrow. I honestly do. They have worked too hard to just to give it away. But they have:
3 @ Min
3 vs. Cle
4 vs. Min
3 @ Det
3 @ Cle

They very easily if they got back on thier game, do what Cleveland is now doing. I don't care who is pitching, if our pitching comes through, along with timley hitting no one can touch us. Most importantly get back to a winnning attitude. Something they've missed over the past couple of weeks!

Go White Sox:D:

MarySwiss
09-15-2005, 10:06 PM

Speaking as a former cheerleader, I think you'd make a great cheerleader.

Seriously, many of your points are well-taken, and attitude absolutely means a lot. However, I'm not sure that getting "pissed off" is a sure-fire motivator; depends on the team. The Sox need to get motivated, but whatever motivates them is beyond our control. Let's just hope they figure it out, okay?

DickAllen72
09-15-2005, 10:07 PM
In observing other cities win championships I've always wanted that special player on the Sox. Guys like Robbie Alomar (Toronto), Jeter, Gibson (Dodgers) or Thurmon Munson. Players that would take over a game to preserve victory. Guys that would undoubtedly come through in the clutch. Guys the team leaned on and he held them up. I don't see that guy on the Sox. With the recent down turn I'm reflecting and hoping he's in the dugout somewhere. Is it McCarthy? Is it Anderson or Jenks? Will he please stand up.
OK, so say one of those guys in the dugout is another Robbie or Jeter or Munson. Still the question remains:
Where's he gonna play???

kitekrazy
09-15-2005, 10:13 PM

Aint that the truth. I think he'll be here next year.

TornLabrum
09-15-2005, 10:16 PM
i'm not pandering for jerry to come back, but i can guarantee you that our starters wouldn't look like they're throwing in mud right now.

Yeah, we had all those great Septembers with Jerry.

Lip Man 1
09-15-2005, 10:19 PM
No, the starters wouldn't have looked the same because the team would have been so far out of it by July (expect for 2003) it wouldn't and didn't matter.
Lip

kitekrazy
09-15-2005, 10:24 PM
OK, so say one of those guys in the dugout is another Robbie or Jeter or Munson. Still the question remains:
Where's he gonna play???

Hilarious.

I still see the rants about Kenny not getting someone before the deadline. They failed to see many teams were still in it so there was very litttle movement and no big names really moved. They thought this would be that actual year that Griffey would actually be traded. The Pirates ran out of good players for their annual fire sale.

Sox of White
09-15-2005, 10:26 PM

Word to that my friend.

Lip Man 1
09-15-2005, 10:31 PM
Hosey:

You are right....a world of difference between playing to win, fast and loose and playing not to lose, tight and uncertain. I saw it the final week of the 67 season. I pray I don't ever see it again.

Lip

DickAllen72
09-15-2005, 10:36 PM
I still see the rants about Kenny not getting someone before the deadline. They failed to see many teams were still in it so there was very litttle movement and no big names really moved. They thought this would be that actual year that Griffey would actually be traded. The Pirates ran out of good players for their annual fire sale.

If Kenny can't pull off a big trade no one can---and that's exactly what happened.

hose
09-16-2005, 12:30 AM
Politte said the Sox are having a team party tonight in Minneapolis.

I like it !!!

Yesterday's loss is over and there is no value to a ball player dwelling on the team's failure, nothing good will come of it.

oeo
09-16-2005, 07:27 AM

Like Ozzie says, if you're winning, everyone loves you; if you're not, everyone hates you. He's right, I mean throughout the season everyone is saying Ozzie's idea was brilliant, he's doing great; now we've hit a skid and everyone wants him out. Maybe if our pitching stepped up, we stopped making errors, we stopped the baserunning mistakes, and we'd come through with hits at the right time, we'd win the damn games. I hate when people blame things like this on the manager...just like Lloyd McClendon getting fired because he has a ****ty team on the field.

I'm not saying we have a ****ty team, but this team is not playing their hearts out like they were the first half, they're not playing like "grinders".

eastchicagosoxfan
09-16-2005, 07:39 AM
This team's been playing not to lose for over a month now, the seven game winning streak notwithstanding. I think the attitude has been about winning the division by not losing ballgames, rather than by simply playing good ball, and putting teams away. The manager sets the tone, and look at what LaRussa's teams', including the 1983 team, have done with big leads.

DAllen15
09-16-2005, 08:33 AM

I think he should change his username to "I Like Smoking Crack"....

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-16-2005, 08:36 AM

Beat me to the punch.
The team's leader told them they stink. When MY boss tells me I'm ineffective...I step it up. Why? IT'S MY JOB to make my boss look good.

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-16-2005, 08:37 AM
If Kenny can't pull off a big trade no one can---and that's exactly what happened.

Kenny said it the day after the deadline...no one made moves...which means everyone's working off the same page they were at the start of the season. Why can't some people let this trade crap go?

Knucksie
09-16-2005, 09:01 AM
I don't believe teams "play over their heads." I do believe it is very difficult for a team to play at their best for 162 games. Its a long season. I think the Sox may just be running out of gas a little bit.

Yes, this team has some very good parts, but let's face it, this team is not very talented. Add to that the fact that several guys have had sub par years (AJ, Everett, Uribe until lately and even Rowand although hes about as consistent as anyone they have).

This team wasn't built for a championship. It is the foundation for a championship. There are still missing pieces. The pitching has just hit a rough spot at a bad time. I don't think Ozzie is to blame for the struggles of Mark, Jon or Freddie. Maybe he could be blamed for the El Duque situation but its hard to blame him. Didn't we get El Duque just for the position we are in right now? Kind of hard to get this far/close and switch plans. The real problem with this team has always been the offense. If the Sox had more offense, they would probably been able to avoid being in this position. Would Big Frank have made a difference? Absolutely! This team still needs some tinkering to win a championship, although I'm not cashing in this year.

Win or lose, I am still proud of this team and organization. The make up of the team has been transformed in one year. No simple feat without bottoming out. There's good young kids that fit the profile of the team in the minor leagues which should provide a stable future, not just a short lived run at the top. The attitude and expectations have changed. Ozzie makes mistakes, all managers do. However, I love the message that he sends about being a part of the team. Its been a long time since we've seen a manager like that in town. Look at the Manuel. Bevington? How about the ultimate sleepy in the dugout, Gene Lamont? I'm not sure we've had a manager get as much out of his team since Torborg managed a young Sox team 15 years ago.

For now, let's stick with this team through the rest of the season, win or lose!

kitekrazy
09-16-2005, 02:25 PM
Kenny said it the day after the deadline...no one made moves...which means everyone's working off the same page they were at the start of the season. Why can't some people let this trade crap go?

I think the Griffey trade was a rumor started by the Chicago media. HE was suppose the be traded every year I can recall. It's not the first time there was a Griffey to Sox rumor. Why the Reds trade him if he is their meal ticket for attendance?

SoxFan76
09-16-2005, 02:34 PM
Word to that my friend.

A leader doesn't always have to be vocal. Frank leads with his bat, and he sure is missed right now.

Lip Man 1
09-16-2005, 02:43 PM
Amen to that

Lip

LongLiveFisk
09-16-2005, 03:03 PM

I'm not really sure what this means. It's not like JM was known to be some great motivator.

RedPinStripes
09-16-2005, 03:22 PM
What's a leader? Normally just the guy who's pretty good and answers the media's questions. That's it. Ever hear teammates crying out for a leader? The media points out "leaders" on all teams. I think the whole leader deal is over rated considering the only leaqders I see are always talking to reporter. Remember when everyone was naming Konerko the team leader? Hmmmmmmmmm.........Who's always opening his mouth?