PDA

View Full Version : Getting sick of Buehrle's defeatist attitude

alumbrados
09-15-2005, 08:56 PM
"Ever since the All-Star break, it seems like I haven't had too many good games. It's frustrating," said Buehrle. "We've still got six games with Cleveland. And the way that they're playing, they could sweep us right now. If we keep on playing like we're playing, we're not going to the playoffs. We'll be home on Oct. 3."

Reminds me of the comments he made after he lost in Oakland saying he's "jinxed."

Gonna wince when he takes the ball in the ALDS.

Oh, you're going to the playoffs Mark and you better pitch like a REAL MAN when you do.

Soxzilla
09-15-2005, 08:59 PM
I see absolutely nothing wrong with what he said.

Did I read a different comment than you?

veeter
09-15-2005, 09:00 PM
You find out a lot about guys when the going is tough. I know you're happy for me but I've played a lot of baseball. Losing made me sick and want to kill the next opponent. Curling up in a quivering ball was not in my fiber. These guys are whining and quitting, how pathetic.

oeo
09-15-2005, 09:22 PM
"Ever since the All-Star break, it seems like I haven't had too many good games. It's frustrating," said Buehrle. "We've still got six games with Cleveland. And the way that they're playing, they could sweep us right now. If we keep on playing like we're playing, we're not going to the playoffs. We'll be home on Oct. 3."

Reminds me of the comments he made after he lost in Oakland saying he's "jinxed."

Gonna wince when he takes the ball in the ALDS.

Oh, you're going to the playoffs Mark and you better pitch like a REAL MAN when you do.

Calm down, he's telling the truth. Do you seriously think they can beat the Indians the way they are playing and the way we are playing. I see nothing wrong with it, they can't tell themselves that they've got it all wrapped up, they're going to slaughter Cleveland. I'm glad to see them recognize that they're getting real close to being in some big trouble.

oeo
09-15-2005, 09:25 PM
You find out a lot about guys when the going is tough. I know you're happy for me but I've played a lot of baseball. Losing made me sick and want to kill the next opponent. Curling up in a quivering ball was not in my fiber. These guys are whining and quitting, how pathetic.

Whining and quitting? All he said was they're playing like crap and if they don't get their act together, they can say bye to the playoffs. That's not quitting, I don't even see where you say he's whining at. Are you oblivious as to what is going on with Cleveland right on our tail?

HotelWhiteSox
09-15-2005, 10:23 PM
I don't have doubts that we'll win the division, but I hate this comment too, mainly this part: "We've still got six games with Cleveland. And the way that they're playing, they could sweep us right now." If I were Ozzie and I heard this, I would've smacked Mark right there. He sounds like a baby. I like Buerhle, but the Texas 'stealing sign' thing was a national embarrassment, and I hope he can straighten out the attitude. After the Angel game he said that the balk call bothered him, that he kept thinking about it. It was a BS call, but he admits he lost his focus in one our winnable games. If he can't handle this, can he take the heat in the playoffs or pitch over an error would occur in a big spot? The St. Louis comments were stupid, and I was hoping that would be the last of the like to come out of his mouth, looks like his buddy PK and him have something in common though. And he has the audacity to rip fans about the crowd when he has folded under pressure late in the year. We all love Buerhle as a pitcher, but now it's time to step up and show you belong in the elite class that you are touted in...now stick it up my ass and give us a postseason to remember

MarySwiss
09-15-2005, 10:34 PM

Sorry to disagree. I've never played baseball (female persuasion), but I've played a lot of competitive softball and volleyball, and I've always wanted to kill my opponents. As I'm sure Mark and the rest of the team do. You do not make it to this level if you're not competitive, and I see nothing in Mark's remarks that indicate he's quitting.

LuvSox
09-16-2005, 12:02 AM

Are you posting from a hyperbaric chamber?

fusillirob1983
09-16-2005, 10:17 AM
"We've still got six games with Cleveland. And the way that they're playing, they could sweep us right now." If I were Ozzie and I heard this, I would've smacked Mark right there.

I agree with Mark's comments about the Rangers, but I disagree with Ozzie smacking Mark for this comment. Ozzie basically said they stink. Mark said they could possibly get swept the way the Indians are playing. I would think Ozzie knows they have to go out and win some games, but he'd probably agree that if the Sox kept playing the way they played in KC and Cleveland kept playing how they are, it would be possible to get swept.

I personally don't think it will happen, but Ozzie's comment of saying they stink runs along the same lines as Mark's comment.

daveeym
09-16-2005, 10:29 AM
Yeah PK sucks I wish he would shut his mouth.

PaulDrake
09-16-2005, 10:42 AM
I'm sorry, but I get the impression that Mark and the team feel defeated at the moment. This is doubly depressing in Mark's case because if he was truly a stud, stopper or ace he wouldn't be giving up 10 hits in 61/3 to the likes of the Royals. I just hope there is one leader who by his performance and force of will pulls the Sox back from the abyss. Which one will it be?

TDog
09-17-2005, 01:08 AM
I heard from a member of the 1975-76 Indiana Hoosiers that during their undefeated season, when team members came in at halftime down by 10 in a game against Michigan midway through the Big 10 schedule, Bob Knight came into the locker room and screamed one short sentence obscenely describing their skills as basketball players. The players looked at each other in disbelief, agreed they could play better and came back to win in the second half.

Honestly, Mark Buehrle's comments sound like they could have come from a successful college coach. He didn't say the Sox aren't good enough to make postseason. He pretty much said they aren't playing well enough to make the postseason and need to step up their play.

Anyone disagree?

TomBradley72
09-18-2005, 12:51 AM
Buehrle is a HUGE dissapointment....jinxed against the A's, phantom sign stealers in Texas, he had a few other quotes in August hinting that it was slipping away when the Sox were still up by 9 games. Blows leads in key games against the Angels and Royals in the last week.

He even commented a few weeks ago that he was like T.O....always stirring things up....he needs to step up and lead and deliver....or he can go to his dream team...the Cardinals.

MsSoxVixen22
09-19-2005, 01:11 PM
The absolute last thing this team needs is a defeatest(sp?) attitude!!! While they're having a pity party for themselves, they can kiss the playoffs goodbye if they keep this up. They need to get ****ing pissed and say let's do this! If they can't handle the pressure now, how are they gonna handle it in the playoffs?

billcissell
09-20-2005, 05:37 PM
Based on body language "clues" over the last few weeks, I'd say this team (and Buerhle) have a defeatist attitude. The swagger is missing. The heads hang down. Spirit and enthusiasm has been replaced by uncertainty and hesitation.

Watch the Indians when they score. High fives, fist pumps, loud words of encouragement. The Sox look desparate, lost, unsure of themselves. The only fired-up guy on the team, from what I can see, is Pierzynski.

If there is a real doom and gloom atmosphere in the dugout, it permeates from the top on down. Guillen needs to address it NOW. We've come too far during this long season to watch it all get slowly flushed down the toilet, one painful game at a time. 13 games left. It's time to make a statement.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-20-2005, 05:43 PM

If there is a real doom and gloom atmosphere in the dugout, it permeates from the top on down. Guillen needs to address it NOW. We've come too far during this long season to watch it all get slowly flushed down the toilet, one painful game at a time. 13 games left. It's time to make a statement.

Uh, huh... you must have been watching the game real closely last night.

:kukoo: