PDA

View Full Version : RIP Bess Clemens

Fenway
09-15-2005, 08:20 PM
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/3354754

On her deathbed late Tuesday night and early Wednesday morning, Roger Clemens' mother adamantly urged him back to work. She wanted him back on a pitcher's mound, which long has been her son's sanctuary and the site of many of their most cherished memories.

http://bostondirtdogs.boston.com/Headline_Archives/RC_mom_BDD.jpg

Fungo
09-16-2005, 10:14 AM
Clemens is easily my favorite pitcher of all time. May she rest in peace.

Deuce
09-16-2005, 02:16 PM
No matter what you think of Clemens, you have to respect a man that loves his mother so. He's not only a great pitcher, but a great son.

Deuce

Fenway
09-16-2005, 02:56 PM
No matter what you think of Clemens, you have to respect a man that loves his mother so. He's not only a great pitcher, but a great son.

Deuce

I met her once in Cleveland 15 years ago. Roger was going for his 20th win and there couldn't have been more than 2,000 fans in the Mistake by the Lake.

Every pitch you could hear her and after the game I said congrats to her and she just beamed.

StockdaleForVeep
09-16-2005, 03:41 PM
I may be a jerk for arguin semantics but why is this in the baseball thread? Yes she is the mother of arguably the best pitcher in "my" lifetime but what has she done for the sport? I mean, we do not see dozens of threads for every players' loss...so why does this one merrit one?

I just dont like the overvalue of someones death when every death is just as important.

HotelWhiteSox
09-16-2005, 04:32 PM
Everytime I heard one of his interviews I heard him mention his mother, and heard him regularly tout sponsers of a product it was for a product that was helping his mother with his condition. I felt bad for him because he wanted her there for his HOF thing, but I guess you can't plan life. I don't know either of them, but the post game stuff I saw on the highlights was still touching, and it takes a lot for him to actually go out and pitch. No question that Clemens is one of the greatest pitchers ever, seems like a great guy too, well at least family guy. He's also talking about his kids a lot and I think Canseco named his as one of the few athletes who was loyal to his wife.

Fenway
09-17-2005, 11:09 AM
I may be a jerk for arguin semantics but why is this in the baseball thread? Yes she is the mother of arguably the best pitcher in "my" lifetime but what has she done for the sport? I mean, we do not see dozens of threads for every players' loss...so why does this one merrit one?

I just dont like the overvalue of someones death when every death is just as important.

I put in the baseball thread because 15 hours after she passed he was on the mound in a huge game for Houston. Roger used to have problems pitching with emotion, but not this night

StockdaleForVeep
09-18-2005, 04:29 AM
I put in the baseball thread because 15 hours after she passed he was on the mound in a huge game for Houston. Roger used to have problems pitching with emotion, but not this night

And every season farve has a new reason\hardship to play thru, i mean hell, why not make a thread dedicated to his mum losin her house due to the hurricaine. Im just sayin, i dislike the over value of one life passing when all life passing is not respected equally.

TomBradley72
09-18-2005, 11:57 AM
Im just sayin, i dislike the over value of one life passing when all life passing is not respected equally.

No one said her life was more valuable than any other life. One of the cool things about sports is that it sometimes places universal experiences in front of us. In this case the loss of a loved one....and the courage of her son to go back to work and honor her through his chosen profession....pitching.

The challenge of working while grieving is a universal one....I think the story is very poignant....and a reminder of the unique bond between a mother and her son.

beckett21
09-18-2005, 12:34 PM

What has she done for the sport? Nothing, other than give birth to and raise arguably the best pitcher of *your* lifetime.

There have been plenty of other threads dedicated to the losses of other players, catastrophic events, and the like. You want to start a *woe is Brett Favre* thread, no one will argue with you. It's all tragic, agreed.

Just because a thread was started in her name does not mean her life has been *overvalued*. It was newsworthy as a baseball story because of who her son is, though you are entitled to your opinion to disagree.

RIP Bess Clemens.