PDA

View Full Version : contacting players

sthbndsox
09-15-2005, 07:13 PM
Mods, I had no clue where to put this so please move it if necessary.

About 6 years ago when I was in 4th grade, I had to do a project where I would pick a profession that I wanted to go into, and interview someone with that profession. I picked professional baseball player, but I knew it was a longshot that I'd actually get to interview someone, so I was ready to change. My mom, however, contacted the South Bend Silver Hawks (the single A team for the Diamondbacks, and the closest baseball team to here next to the Sox who are 2 hours away), and set up an interview with the starting catcher, JD Closser. He was an incredibly nice guy. He invited my mother and I to his apartment where he and his 2 roommates (also on the team) were living. He was very polite and patient with us through the whole interview, and autographed a hat and a ball for me.

About 2 weeks later when I was presenting my project, I was shocked to find J.D. there with his girlfriend. He came up to me and told me I did a nice job, and I presented my project to him. It doesn't end there, though. He continually gave my family free tickets into games, best seats in the house. And what's more, he actually came to a few of my little league games. Being a catcher, I was thrilled that a pro ballplayer came to watch me play for a change.

JD is now on the Rockies, and I would really like to contact him somehow to congratulate him on making the Big Show, and thank him again for all that he did. Does anyone know how I might go about doing this? Thanks for any help.

buehrle4cy05
09-15-2005, 07:33 PM
Mods, I had no clue where to put this so please move it if necessary.

About 6 years ago when I was in 4th grade, I had to do a project where I would pick a profession that I wanted to go into, and interview someone with that profession. I picked professional baseball player, but I knew it was a longshot that I'd actually get to interview someone, so I was ready to change. My mom, however, contacted the South Bend Silver Hawks (the single A team for the Diamondbacks, and the closest baseball team to here next to the Sox who are 2 hours away), and set up an interview with the starting catcher, JD Closser. He was an incredibly nice guy. He invited my mother and I to his apartment where he and his 2 roommates (also on the team) were living. He was very polite and patient with us through the whole interview, and autographed a hat and a ball for me.

About 2 weeks later when I was presenting my project, I was shocked to find J.D. there with his girlfriend. He came up to me and told me I did a nice job, and I presented my project to him. It doesn't end there, though. He continually gave my family free tickets into games, best seats in the house. And what's more, he actually came to a few of my little league games. Being a catcher, I was thrilled that a pro ballplayer came to watch me play for a change.

JD is now on the Rockies, and I would really like to contact him somehow to congratulate him on making the Big Show, and thank him again for all that he did. Does anyone know how I might go about doing this? Thanks for any help.

Great story!:thumbsup: It's unlikely you could get in direct contact with him until the offseason, but calling the Rockies couldn't hurt.

Daver
09-15-2005, 07:44 PM
Your best bet would be contacting the Rockies front office.

They can be reached at (303) 292-0200

And by fax at (303) 312-2319

beckett21
09-15-2005, 07:59 PM
That's a great story. It's stories like this that help restore faith that there are still some good guys out there.

SOXintheBURGH
09-15-2005, 08:30 PM
That's awesome.. I'm sure he would remember you too, minor league ball is a big part of these guys' lives. :gulp:

SOXfnNlansing
09-15-2005, 09:42 PM
That is a great story. I'd say do whatever you have to do to contact him. Your mom went the extra mile and so did JD. He'd get a kick out of hearing from you I bet. :bandance:

mike squires
09-15-2005, 11:02 PM
I'm guessing your best bet is to send him a letter...

Coors Field
2001 Blake Street
Denver, CO

I"m guessing there is a good chance he'll get it and probably even remember you and contact you after reading your story. I dropped a ball thrown by Mark Salas in 2000. I asked him to give me another chance but he said I blew it. I wrote him and got really creative and then approached him at a game. He said, "that was you, that was you? He told me to meet him by the dugout after the game and he signed me one and tossed it to me. Good luck and tell how it goes!

Domeshot17
09-16-2005, 01:12 PM
Awesome Story. Everyone who replied hit it on the head. With all the garbage involving a lot of pro ball players ( my post about Donelly, Kittle's claim on bonds in his book, etc.) it is good to see some of them remember why they get paid to play the greatest game on earth, the fans! Beyond allowing you to interview him, showing up for your presentation, that is a good guy.

Good luck contacting him, maybe try sending the letter to the rockies stadium C/O JD Closser. Let us know if you hear back!