PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone see Tony Graffanino's Home Run Last Night

SouthSide_HitMen
09-15-2005, 04:17 PM
Gabe Kapler, who was the lead runner, fell and hurt himself rounding second. The umps allowed Boston a pinch runner after a several minute delay.

I have never seen that before. I didn't think you could substitute a player in that situation as a home run is not a dead ball.

Joosh
09-15-2005, 04:26 PM
My friend, once a ball leaves the park it is a dead ball.

I'm not so sure about the ruling though.

SouthSide_HitMen
09-15-2005, 04:41 PM
My friend, once a ball leaves the park it is a dead ball.

I'm not so sure about the ruling though.

Well that is the ruling since the team was able to substitute mid play. I just didn't know this even though I watched baseball for over 30 years and never saw this before. I watched the replay on MLB.tv and thought it was rare (don't know if this ever happened in baseball before). If Kirk Gibson couldn't finish running the bases could they have pinch ran for him mid home run trot? Or Frank Thomas this season?

It appears the answer is yes based on yesterday's events. It is free on the highlights for everyone on MLB.com.

Jjav829
09-15-2005, 04:44 PM
SportsCenter had the ruling on it. It basically states that if a runner is unable to continue running on a play where he is entitled to the next base then a pinch runner can be substituted. It was a very odd play. It makes me wonder why Orlando Hudson walked the bases earlier in the year when he pulled a hamstring on a home run. He could have just fell down and told the umps that he was unable to finish the home run trot rather than walking all the way around.

Fenway
09-15-2005, 04:49 PM
Official Rules: 5.00 Putting the ball in play. Live ball.
The ball becomes dead when an umpire calls "Time." The umpire in chief shall call "Time"_ (a) When in his judgment weather, darkness or similar conditions make immediate further play impossible; (b) When light failure makes it difficult or impossible for the umpires to follow the play; NOTE: A league may adopt its own regulations governing games interrupted by light failure. (c) When an accident incapacitates a player or an umpire; (1) If an accident to a runner is such as to prevent him from proceeding to a base to which he is entitled, as on a home run hit out of the playing field, or an award of one or more bases, a substitute runner shall be permitted to complete the play. (d) When a manager requests "Time" for a substitution, or for a conference with one of his players. (e) When the umpire wishes to examine the ball, to consult with either manager, or for any similar cause. (f) When a fielder, after catching a fly ball, falls into a bench or stand, or falls across ropes into a crowd when spectators are on the field. As pertains to runners, the provisions of 7.04 (c) shall prevail. If a fielder after making a catch steps into a bench, but does not fall, the ball is in play and runners may advance at their own peril. (g) When an umpire orders a player or any other person removed from the playing field. (h) Except in the cases stated in paragraphs (b) and (c) (1) of this rule, no umpire shall call "Time" while a play is in progress.

buehrle4cy05
09-15-2005, 05:02 PM
That's something you don't see every day...and I hope and pray it doesn't come up when I'm umping:redneck

StockdaleForVeep
09-16-2005, 12:26 AM
Wasnt babe ruth allowed a pinch runner after every hr in the later days of his career or was that hollywood?

HotelWhiteSox
09-16-2005, 12:34 AM
It makes me wonder why Orlando Hudson walked the bases earlier in the year when he pulled a hamstring on a home run. He could have just fell down and told the umps that he was unable to finish the home run trot rather than walking all the way around.

Same play I thought about, where he it took him like 10 minutes, which is why I wondered about this ruling as well. I don't have a problem with the ruling though, the ball left the yard, it'd be ridiculous to take back or not count the HR because of a runner getting hurt

Sox Blue 69-70
09-16-2005, 11:21 AM
Wasnt babe ruth allowed a pinch runner after every hr in the later days of his career or was that hollywood?

Must have been Hollywood (?). I remember seeing footage of him hitting a home run in his final year with the Braves, and rounding the bases himself. Photographers were even coming out and setting up on the grass to take his picture as he was approaching the plate.

John Goodman, if he could get the ball out of the infield, might have needed a pinch runner, though. :redneck

Fenway
09-16-2005, 11:28 AM
learn something new every season

Red Sox can't put Kapler on the DL

Kapler, who suffered the career-threatening injury Wednesday night in Toronto rounding the bases on Tony Graffanino's fifth-inning homer, is prevented by Major League Baseball rules from going on the 60-day disabled list in September. When a player is placed on that list during the first five months of the season, it opens a spot on the 40-man roster for players such as Hyzdu. Due to the late nature of the injury, Perisho paid the price.
Technically, Kapler remains eligible for the postseason roster but he is expected to be sidelined for at least a year after undergoing surgery sometime in the next few days. The 30-year-old outfielder was scheduled to be examined during last night's game against the Oakland Athletics at Fenway Park by team physician Dr. Thomas Gill.