PDA

View Full Version : Al Mvp

Fenway
09-15-2005, 10:28 AM
Forget the teams they play for and try to be objective answering this. Who should the AL MVP be, Alex Rodriguez or David Ortiz?( I can't see anybody else being in the top 2 now )

The big question may come down to should a DH win over an everyday player? A-Rod has played in the field for all the Yankees games, Ortiz for the most part has been the DH.

A-Rod's number certainly show why he is the highest paid player in the game and where would NYY be without him.

But not only does Ortiz have similar numbers it is when he produces them. It seems like every big hit etither ties a game, puts Boston ahead or wins it.

I will go one step further. Name me ANY free agent in the 31 years since it was allowed that has impacted a team so much ( only name I can come up with is Reggie Jackson with New York )

Not bad for a guy who Boston signed and when spring training ended in 2003 was behind JEREMY GIAMBI on the Boston depth chart.

akingamongstmen
09-15-2005, 10:31 AM
Alex Rodriguez...as much as I hate to admit it. He's a more complete player, and he is definitely "clutch" (not like Ortiz, but still pretty good).

D. TODD
09-15-2005, 10:38 AM
A-Rod! No doubt in my opinion.

Fenway
09-15-2005, 10:38 AM
Alex Rodriguez...as much as I hate to admit it. He's a more complete player, and he is definitely "clutch" (not like Ortiz, but still pretty good).

I think it will come down to the last weekend and which one delivers to help his team win the AL East.

I can not believe the pitches Ortiz gets in the 8th and 9th inning.

Clembasbal
09-15-2005, 10:40 AM
My other would have to be Travis Hafner. The guy is a stud and they are riding his back into the playoffs. That vote of course is if the Indians make in there. If not, then I go with A-Rod over Ortiz, or whoever makes it to the playoffs.
I firmly believe that the MVP must be on a playoff team and must be a player the team rode to the playoffs. Pitchers don't get any votes from me. They already have a huge award...the Cy Young. And the Silver Slugger does not compare to that at all.

Paulwny
09-15-2005, 11:22 AM
I can not believe the pitches Ortiz gets in the 8th and 9th inning.

It may be because of the on-deck batter.
Manny is probably the best protection in the game.

kittle42
09-15-2005, 11:24 AM
This conversation begins and ends with Hiram Boccachica.

White Sox Randy
09-15-2005, 11:25 AM
same offense - except AROD can run. Defense no comparison.

Deadguy
09-16-2005, 03:06 AM
I've got to go with David Ortiz. He may be the best clutch hitter ever(well, since 2003). He needs to start getting the Barry Bonds treatment when the game is close and late.

He's not a better player than Pay-Rod, but there's nobody who is more valuable than Ortiz is ATM.

Mr. White Sox
09-16-2005, 02:39 PM
Here's your answer...whichever team wins the division gets their respective player the MVP. I don't like it, but that's how it goes.

SouthSide_HitMen
09-16-2005, 02:50 PM
I can't believe A Rod is losing. it isn't even close.

A Rod .320 BA, .420 OBP, .603 SLG
Ortiz .297 BA, .397 OBP, .601 SLG

Plus A Rod is a very good 3B - Ortiz can barely play 1B. A Rod is 2nd (BA), 1st (HR) and 4th (RBI) in the triple crown race. No contest. Pujols is a no brainier in the NL. Neither vote should be close.

soxfan26
09-16-2005, 03:12 PM
This conversation begins and ends with Hiram Boccachica.

Show Hiram your support at his Official Website (http://www.hirambocachica.com/)!

Fenway
09-16-2005, 03:17 PM
I've got to go with David Ortiz. He may be the best clutch hitter ever(well, since 2003). He needs to start getting the Barry Bonds treatment when the game is close and late.

He's not a better player than Pay-Rod, but there's nobody who is more valuable than Ortiz is ATM.

Valuable is the key word Ortiz certainly fits that billing.

NonetheLoaiza
09-16-2005, 03:35 PM

Plus A Rod is a very good 3B - Ortiz can barely play 1B. A Rod is 2nd (BA), 1st (HR) and 4th (RBI) in the triple crown race. No contest. Pujols is a no brainier in the NL. Neither vote should be close.

Right now, the Red Sox are in a position to win the division. Plain and simple, that is what it is going to come down to. I agree with Fenway when he says that valuable is what Ortiz is. I just think that the Red Sox need Ortiz more than the Yankees need ARod. Who is the better player? ARod. Who has better stats? ARod. If the MVP means who is the best player, ARod should win it, hands down. If it means who's team needs its respective player more, I feel Ortiz is the choice.

Chips
09-16-2005, 11:31 PM

I think so too, but I can see a lot of mediots voting for Lee because of his hot first half. The same way they voted Ben Grieve Rookie of Year in 1998 when Maggs had better numbers, but Grieve was basically given the award in May.

Cowhead418
09-16-2005, 11:40 PM
I think it will come down to who wins the AL East.