PDA

View Full Version : Optimism From a Dark Cloud

kaufsox
09-15-2005, 12:32 AM
It is in my nature to worry and to have a sense of impending doom at all times, and to say that I'm unconcerned about the Sox would be a big fat lie. Despite that, I still have a sliver of hope in my otherwise dark universe. Namely, I didn't expect the Sox to sweep in KC. I don't expect any sweeps for the rest of the season. Sweeping a series is very difficult to do, even against the Royals. Just look at some of the historic sweeps the Sox have had this year. The first 4 game sweep of the Indians since the 1950's? The first weekend sweep of the Orioles since the 70's or 80's? The Sox will prove what kind of team they are these next couple of weeks, good or bad, but I'm betting on good. I thought, looking at the schedule that this month would be a victory lap through the Central Division, that just isn't going to be the case. Get ready for a Malox month. I'm going to buy tickets tomorrow and hope they don't go into my scrapbook next to my 2003 tickets.

sox7235
09-15-2005, 12:41 AM
That was a great post. I'm not all that upset with this game tonight. Sure, blowing a large lead against KC sucks, but they play very hard, and just kept coming back. I told myself that 2 of 3 from KC and Minny would be fine and with Buerhle starting tomorrow I feel confident that he can get it done. The Sox have already gone into Minnesot and and taken 2 of 3 from them twice this year, and once was when the offense was struggling very badly. I have full confidence that they do it again, as they may well even beat santana on Saturday. I refuse to give up on this team, absolutely refuse. There are 18 games left. Tonight was typical Freddy, just wait until he starts Monday against Cleveland, he will shut them down.

Go Sox, win or lose, I am always behind you.

Shafe72
09-15-2005, 12:52 AM
One game at a time (or better yet one OUT at a time) is the way to think of things, in my opinion.

Even after a discouraging loss like tonight, we still have to believe in this team. Wasting mental energy about what might happen a few weeks from now isn't what's going to help.

Thanks for helping to find a silver lining...

CLSoxFan
09-15-2005, 01:12 AM
The Sox pitching is in the toilet. Buehrle and Garland get tight collars in big games. Freddie is clueless. They have no hitting. This team is primed to get swept by Anaheim in the first round. What a dud after building expectations the first three months. The team had no money and no interest in doing anything to improve the club at the trade deadlines. I'm so disappointed. I'll be there for the two playoff games they'll get in Chicago, but I know what to expect. I feel like I'm going to a funeral...

ode to veeck
09-15-2005, 01:26 AM
The Sox pitching is in the toilet. Buehrle and Garland get tight collars in big games. Freddie is clueless. They have no hitting. This team is primed to get swept by Anaheim in the first round. What a dud after building expectations the first three months. The team had no money and no interest in doing anything to improve the club at the trade deadlines. I'm so disappointed. I'll be there for the two playoff games they'll get in Chicago, but I know what to expect. I feel like I'm going to a funeral...

chill ... this thread is exclusively for optimism

gehrtsox7
09-15-2005, 01:35 AM
I think we all have this bad feeling in the pit of our stomachs,,, the same feeling we had a few weeks ago when they had that long losing streak,,, but all it took was 3 homeruns off of Randy Johnson and the Yankees and that ol feeling came back, We will pound on Cleveland and win this whole thing. Lets get the ol confidence back!

CLR01
09-15-2005, 01:39 AM

Ill let you have the next couple of months off to mourn.

Fuller_Schettman
09-15-2005, 02:01 AM
There are just too many recent examples of teams with fantastic finishes or great season records that fall flat in October. So this has very little relevance to what we will be doing next month.

It will be a whole new ballgame...

SoxSpeed22
09-15-2005, 02:08 AM
There are just too many recent examples of teams with fantastic finishes or great season records that fall flat in October. So this has very little relevance to what we will be doing next month.

It will be a whole new ballgame...:fobbgod:"Hey!"

IowaSox1971
09-15-2005, 03:26 AM
If a starting pitcher doesn't have it, Ozzie needs to pull him. After Garcia got his five innings to qualify for a victory, there was no reason to keep him in the game. If we had just put in Vizcaino when it was 9-4, I think we would have won this game. Instead, we waited until it got to be 9-7 before we did anything. And then Cotts only faces one batter before we bring in Vizcaino.

Ozzie did the same thing a few weeks ago in Texas. El Duque pitches five good innings and is up, 2-1, in the sixth. Before you know it, we're down 6-2, El Duque is still in there and the game is basically gone.

I agree with others that if we win Thursday's game, then this heartbreaking loss will not be so bad. Winning two of three on the road is not bad, no matter who you're playing.

Dan H
09-15-2005, 06:30 AM
The next seven games are key. The Sox need to assert themselves again. If they don't win at least four and preferrably five, they are in big trouble. It's great to be optimisitc, but this team has been playing bad for the last 44 games. That is more than a quarter of a season. They need to get it back and get it back now. If they rebound from this loss, and pound the hell out of Kansas City like they should, I'll be optimisitc.

greenpeach
09-15-2005, 08:53 AM
Quite frankly, I'm not that optimistic because right now the Indians have both the superior hitting & pitching. Our staff looks worn out for some reason & I'm not quite sure why that is the case. I don't think Ozzie has over-used any of the starters & essentially we have a bullpen by committee.

In addition, Frank's absence has left a huge void in the middle of our lineup for the past two summers. In my opinion, we can no longer rely on him for a full 162 game season. Unfortunately, it may be time to cut ties with the big guy & go in another direction.

BeviBall!
09-15-2005, 09:14 AM
I'm not optimistic or pessimistic anymore... it's more of a numbing feeling. I need to see Freddy, Mark and Jonny boy go out there and have back-to-back, quality starts. Pitching is our biggest asset, but we haven't seen it in full force since July.

BeviBall!
09-15-2005, 09:17 AM
If a starting pitcher doesn't have it, Ozzie needs to pull him. After Garcia got his five innings to qualify for a victory, there was no reason to keep him in the game.

Exactly. Everyone in the gamethread was saying the same thing. I made a comment to my friend stating "knowing Ozzie, Freddy will start the 6th." Sure enough. After Pods transformed into Manny in the field and let in the 6th run... Oz still left him in.

We saw the Royals pull their starter in the 4th. All they're doing is trying to avoid a 110 loss season. Otherwise, why not let the kid keep going?

ode to veeck
09-15-2005, 09:51 AM
hmmmm ... still teetering on the brink of cloudy skies in this thread, how bout:

bring on the twinks, let's stomp butt on the minnesooootans this weekend!

infohawk
09-15-2005, 10:01 AM
I agree with others that if we win Thursday's game, then this heartbreaking loss will not be so bad. Winning two of three on the road is not bad, no matter who you're playing.
I feel a little better this morning than I did last night. I was just beside myself with fury and angst. I reminded myself that in other posts I have been calling for the Sox to at least get 97 victories. I mapped out a conservative path regarding how they could get there, and I didn't factor in the Sox sweeping anyone, including the Royals. Two out of three is just fine.

What bummed be out so much about last night is that I had already mentally booked a victory when it was 9-4. I had a bad feeling about the pitching, but figured the lead was big enough. I've decided that I need to step back a bit and stop actually viewing the games for a few days. I'll just check the scores and take a look at the statistics and consult this board. At least this way I'll avoid all of the emotional ups and downs that occur within each game (and there have been a lot lately). I'll just see a win or a loss. I want to taste the stew but not necessarily watch each ingredient as it is being dumped into the pot. Essentially, I need a few days off from the Sox to recharge my batteries.

akingamongstmen
09-15-2005, 10:15 AM
Essentially, I need a few days off from the Sox to recharge my batteries.

You and I both know that you'll be watching tonight's game. We're all addicts. Every one of us.

kaufsox
09-15-2005, 10:19 AM
You and I both know that you'll be watching tonight's game. We're all addicts. Every one of us.

So true. I'll be frantically checking the score every free moment I have today as I try and get playoff tickets. Five games is still a good lead. We just have to get a little hot, especially against Cleveland. 2 of 3 in both of those series and it is all over!

Law11
09-15-2005, 10:24 AM
I pulled a Ditka last night when we blew the game and took my frustration out on a door in my home. problem was the door is steel. Not a whole lot of give.

Ouch.

MushMouth
09-15-2005, 10:27 AM
I feel a little better this morning than I did last night....Two out of three is just fine.

Essentially, I need a few days off from the Sox to recharge my batteries.

On the money for me. I'm going to buy playoff tickets today (hopefully!)... watch us win on Gameday (while drinking coffee and not doing any work) and since I'm out of town this weekend, not watch any Sox until Monday night.

Good lord we have to win today tho.

MarySwiss
09-15-2005, 10:38 AM
I'm supposed to have lunch today with some friends, one of whom is a big Tribe fan. The game starts at 11:10 here, so it will about half over. If it's even close, I may not go because I'm afraid that I might kill him if he even so much as looks at me the wrong way.

Then again, after watching last night's game, killing a Cleveland fan--friend or no friend--might be good therapy. Besides, I have other friends. :cool:

DaveIsHere
09-15-2005, 10:46 AM
I am kind of glad I have to conduct a training Session at 1:30, so I hope when i get back to my Desk we have a lead.

Between the Stress of the projects at work and the Sox not playing so hot I about tapped out.

For some reason I just knew we were going to lose that one last night. We just have to keep winning series the rest of the way

harwar
09-15-2005, 10:47 AM
I pulled a Ditka last night when we blew the game and took my frustration out on a door in my home. problem was the door is steel. Not a whole lot of give.

Ouch.

You might want to invest in a punching bag.
We had one on a ship i was on with a picture of the mate,works good.

harwar
09-15-2005, 10:48 AM
I actually can't wait for gametime today.
I have a really good fealing that things are about to go on the upswing.

sageofthesox
09-15-2005, 10:59 AM
Back when the White Sox had a 15-game lead, I was worried that they wouldn't play any meaningful games and become flat in September before jumping into the high pressure playoffs.

Now that their feet are getting close to the fire, they'll surge and hit the playoffs with some momentum.

Last night was a blessing in disguise.

No, really.

SoxFan78
09-15-2005, 11:00 AM
This is why I love WSI, it gave me a place to vent last night. But this morning my nerves are calmed by a good night of rest and reading that the season has not ended and we still have a lead.

The two things keeping me going right now?

1. Hopefully Cleveland cannot keep this hot streak going right now, they are red hot, just like the Sox were, hopefully they can go into a Mid-September swoon right before the playoffs. Hopefully....

2. Last night had to really wake up the Sox and make them realize they are now in a pennant race. I hope Ozzie Montana came out after the game last night. They must now play like they know they can to win this thing. No more going through the motions, no more days off. The finish line is in sight, go sprint to it. I hope everybody in that lineup is waiting outside Ozzie's office before every game hoping their name is on that line up. These guys should be so eagar to get to the ballpark and win.

Good luck to everybody getting tickets this morning. I'm just waiting for mine to come in the mail.

GO SOX!!

sageofthesox
09-15-2005, 11:05 AM
...if a slim 5-game lead makes you nervous, look at it this way:

We have a 6-game lead on the Yankees for the wild card.

Baby Fisk
09-15-2005, 11:08 AM

Ouch.
:o: Mercy.

Too late for this thread: Channel Your Rage (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55858&highlight=channel+rage)

Fenway
09-15-2005, 11:10 AM
hmmmm ... still teetering on the brink of cloudy skies in this thread, how bout:

bring on the twinks, let's stomp butt on the minnesooootans this weekend!

a friend of mine in Chicago (Annie) got this email from bat-girl

Oh, Anne, you have a most excellent name, and do not fear, for my Twins cannot hit water if they jumped from a boat, and your pitchers pitch better than water.

SoxFan78
09-15-2005, 11:28 AM
Here is some more optimism, if the Sox decide to go on a complete tear and win today, sweep Minnesota, sweep Cleveland, they would have the oppurtunity to clinch at home during Minnesota next week.

Thats a seven game win streak, the Sox have already have had one this month, why not two?

kevingrt
09-15-2005, 11:58 AM
It is in my nature to worry and to have a sense of impending doom at all times, and to say that I'm unconcerned about the Sox would be a big fat lie. Despite that, I still have a sliver of hope in my otherwise dark universe. Namely, I didn't expect the Sox to sweep in KC. I don't expect any sweeps for the rest of the season. Sweeping a series is very difficult to do, even against the Royals. Just look at some of the historic sweeps the Sox have had this year. The first 4 game sweep of the Indians since the 1950's? The first weekend sweep of the Orioles since the 70's or 80's? The Sox will prove what kind of team they are these next couple of weeks, good or bad, but I'm betting on good. I thought, looking at the schedule that this month would be a victory lap through the Central Division, that just isn't going to be the case. Get ready for a Malox month. I'm going to buy tickets tomorrow and hope they don't go into my scrapbook next to my 2003 tickets.

Your last statement would be absolutely devastating, I will not do the same thing as you.

daveeym
09-15-2005, 12:01 PM
The funny thing about all the dark clouds and media members is basically other than Cleveland, I haven't seen any other AL team tearing it up since the ASG. Oak, AA, Bos and NY have been doing roughly the same as the Sox. I don't hear anything about them being 1 and done in the playoffs. UNDER THE RADAR WOOT!!!

billcissell
09-15-2005, 12:27 PM
Yes, I watched the game last night, and I'm concerned.

What the h**l was Podsednik doing on that fly ball? Ozzie should have pullled him right there and put Perez in left. If Podsednik doesn't want to play, make him sit.

Only Konerko and Uribe are hitting the ball well. Everett, our so called #3 hitter, is hovering around .250.

The pitchers look tired, like they need some time off to recharge for the playoffs. Buerhle has been getting hit hard lately. Garland has been very ordinary since the break. The Cuban connection is very inconsistent. One good outing, one bad outing. Marte is a head case. The rest of the bullpen hasn't been real impressive.

I know it's a long season. But I find it hard to believe they can turn it on and off like a faucet. Ozzie held a meeting with the veterans before the game, and they went out and played like that?

Let's face it, the Sox have been underwhelming since the break. The good thing is that so has the rest of the AL, with the exception of Cleveland. It's time to turn it up. Winning the division is nice, but it won't mean a thing if they make another quick exit in the playoffs.

Yea, I'm concerned. I know this team can do it. I'm just not sure we're heading in the right direction at this point in time.

voodoochile
09-15-2005, 01:03 PM
Yes, I watched the game last night, and I'm concerned.

What the h**l was Podsednik doing on that fly ball? Ozzie should have pullled him right there and put Perez in left. If Podsednik doesn't want to play, make him sit.

Only Konerko and Uribe are hitting the ball well. Everett, our so called #3 hitter, is hovering around .250.

The pitchers look tired, like they need some time off to recharge for the playoffs. Buerhle has been getting hit hard lately. Garland has been very ordinary since the break. The Cuban connection is very inconsistent. One good outing, one bad outing. Marte is a head case. The rest of the bullpen hasn't been real impressive.

I know it's a long season. But I find it hard to believe they can turn it on and off like a faucet. Ozzie held a meeting with the veterans before the game, and they went out and played like that?

Let's face it, the Sox have been underwhelming since the break. The good thing is that so has the rest of the AL, with the exception of Cleveland. It's time to turn it up. Winning the division is nice, but it won't mean a thing if they make another quick exit in the playoffs.

Yea, I'm concerned. I know this team can do it. I'm just not sure we're heading in the right direction at this point in time.

Yeah it sucks to put up a 9 spot. What were those veterans thinking?:rolleyes:

infohawk
09-15-2005, 01:55 PM

Ouch.
It actually sounds like you pulled a "Lohse." :D:

infohawk
09-15-2005, 02:10 PM
Actually, I'm going to try and not check the score until after 4:00. That way if we lose I won't have to know that someone dropped a ball or made a bad throw, or that the Sox couldn't get runners in from third base with less than two outs, or that Buerhle consistently fell behind hitters or that someone came out of the bullpen and poured gasoline on a fire. I'm not saying I expect these things to happen, I'm just saying that if they do I don't want to know about them until after the game.:tongue:

I remember reading in "Moneyball" about how Billy Beane doesn't actually watch most games. He works out in the stadium gym and keeps a special pager that just gives him inning and score updates. He said that he would be tempted to make emotional decisions if he actually watched each game. I'm just going to borrow that philosophy for a few days. It will actually work out well because today we have a day game and I'm having dinner at my parent's house tomorrow and just won't turn the game on. The game on Saturday isn't televised, so I won't be watching that one. I haven't made a decision about Sunday yet. I'll probably watch next weeks televised games against the Indians. I'm actually going to Wednesday's game, but will be working at a conference in Chicago from Thursday through Sunday and won't have the opportunity to watch the games since I will be tied up during the evenings.

I'll feel so much better when the sox get to around 94-95 wins. I'm still looking to take the division, but am also watching the Yankees like a hawk in case we need the fallback option.