PDA

View Full Version : Garland and Wright in rotation

Jerry_Manuel
07-27-2001, 07:37 AM
From The Sun Times:
CLEVELAND-- James Baldwin is out of the White Sox' plans after he was traded to the Los Angeles Dodgers on Thursday, but that's just the beginning of changes set for the rotation.

Right-hander Jon Garland will move from the bullpen to the rotation and right-hander Danny Wright, who was promoted from Class AA Birmingham after the game Thursday night, is expected to join the rotation.

The Sox did some quick shuffling to fill Baldwin's spot. Right-hander Josh Fogg was recalled from Class AAA Charlotte to work out of the bullpen Thursday. After the game, he was shipped back to Charlotte to make room for Wright.

Wright, 23, a second-round pick in the 1999 draft, was 7-7 with a 2.82 ERA in 20 starts at Birmingham.

General manager Ken Williams said a major part of the Baldwin deal was to provide more opportunities for the Sox' stable of young arms.

''It gives us an opportunity to get Jon Garland in the rotation,'' Williams said. ''You will see in the next couple of days that we are going to give another young guy an opportunity and see what he is made of.''

That young pitcher is expected to be Wright.

It's a major turnaround for a rotation that opened the season filled with veterans. David Wells, Cal Eldred and Jim Parque anchored the rotation. Baldwin joined the rotation in mid-April.

''A lot of those guys were bridge guys to get us to what we considered the first wave of talent in the minor-league system, the [Jon] Garlands, [Rocky] Biddles and Kip Wellses,'' Williams said. ''Now that second wave is starting to push and we need to make room for them.''

Tragg
07-27-2001, 09:08 AM
Kenny Williams, few are mad that you traded Baldwin.

Many are angry that you virtually gave him away; and, in one instance of brazen incompetence, for a player that you didn't want because you got the names mixed up.

Paulwny
07-27-2001, 09:19 AM
I'm not supporting KW but I think JR told him to start dumping players and KW was given a list. If the rest of ML baseball believes this we won't be getting much in any future trades. I blame JR more then KW.