PDA

View Full Version : Trade thought

JermaineDye05
09-14-2005, 07:04 PM
I had an interesting thought, if the sox do re-sign Konerko, then I think they should see if they can maybe get Lyle Overbay from the Brewers for maybe like El Duque and prospects, then you can have Konerko DH and you get Overbay at 1st, putting McCarthy at the 5th starters spot, what do you guys think, good idea or bad?

kittle42
09-14-2005, 07:06 PM
I had an interesting thought, if the sox do re-sign Konerko, then I think they should see if they can maybe get Lyle Overbay from the Brewers for maybe like El Duque and prospects, then you can have Konerko DH and you get Overbay at 1st, putting McCarthy at the 5th starters spot, what do you guys think, good idea or bad?

There'd probably have to be premium prospects involved. Not sure that the Brewers would have any interest in 'ol Orlando.

MarySwiss
09-14-2005, 07:10 PM

I don' think the Brewers would want El Duque. Also, Paulie is still a ways from being an everyday DH; he plays a very decent defensive 1st base.

skobabe8
09-14-2005, 07:10 PM
Its not a bad thought, but I cant even think about possible off-season moves right now.

At least the Brewers know we wont try to fleece them in a deal.

Ol' No. 2
09-14-2005, 11:42 PM
I had an interesting thought, if the sox do re-sign Konerko, then I think they should see if they can maybe get Lyle Overbay from the Brewers for maybe like El Duque and prospects, then you can have Konerko DH and you get Overbay at 1st, putting McCarthy at the 5th starters spot, what do you guys think, good idea or bad?Forget it. Konerko is not going to re-sign to DH.

Banix12
09-14-2005, 11:59 PM
Forget it. Konerko is not going to re-sign to DH.

Exactly, Konerko has made it pretty clear in his time here that he prefers to play the field as much as possible.

Overbay isn't exactly a major upgrade over Carl anyway. He's basically just a younger Ross Gload/Sean Casey type. That's not really a bad thing but I doubt it would hardly be a difference maker.

Also while I like Podsednik, I am not a proponent of just hauling most of the Milwaukee Brewers offense south.

A_ROW33
09-15-2005, 12:26 AM
I think Orlando will go back to the Yanks I think they value him far more than any other organization, hopefully Ol' Georgie will drastically overpay for him after they miss the playoffs. realistically I'd see Hernandez for Tino, should Paulie leave.

Banix12
09-15-2005, 12:47 AM
I think Orlando will go back to the Yanks I think they value him far more than any other organization, hopefully Ol' Georgie will drastically overpay for him after they miss the playoffs. realistically I'd see Hernandez for Tino, should Paulie leave.

Why the hell would Tino be an adequate replacement. Other than his offensive explosion for that week and a half period earlier this season he's had a pretty pedestrian year and is nowhere near an everyday player anymore.

If the sox are going to consider an aging vet I would talk to the Phillies about how much contract they are willing to eat on Jim Thome, if he passes a physical of course.

I don't see him going to the Yankees anyway, they already have about 6 or 7 starting pitchers competing for spots next season anyway.

A_ROW33
09-15-2005, 02:29 PM
Why the hell would Tino be an adequate replacement. Other than his offensive explosion for that week and a half period earlier this season he's had a pretty pedestrian year and is nowhere near an everyday player anymore.

If the sox are going to consider an aging vet I would talk to the Phillies about how much contract they are willing to eat on Jim Thome, if he passes a physical of course.

I don't see him going to the Yankees anyway, they already have about 6 or 7 starting pitchers competing for spots next season anyway.

First, I believe the Yanks see they have a pitching problem and there is no way they would rather have Jarret wright and Kevin Brown than Orlando Hernandez. They value him there, and possibly some of their pitching woes this season will be attributed to his absence in NY. Remember they offered Tom Gordon, basically their only reliable mid reliever for him so they obviously still value him.

Second, the Yanks have a team option for Tino, so they would have to exercise it in order for any of this. He would not be a replacement, just as Jermaine Dye was not a replacement for Magglio, but the team could use the money saved from Konerko's 8mill contract to Tino's 2.75 mill. to upgrade elsewhere.

As for his ability, I'm not sold either, remember I'm not necessarily saying I want this to happen, I'm just saying what I think is a possibility for a trade involving el duque is.

Banix12
09-15-2005, 03:18 PM
First, I believe the Yanks see they have a pitching problem and there is no way they would rather have Jarret wright and Kevin Brown than Orlando Hernandez. They value him there, and possibly some of their pitching woes this season will be attributed to his absence in NY. Remember they offered Tom Gordon, basically their only reliable mid reliever for him so they obviously still value him.

Second, the Yanks have a team option for Tino, so they would have to exercise it in order for any of this. He would not be a replacement, just as Jermaine Dye was not a replacement for Magglio, but the team could use the money saved from Konerko's 8mill contract to Tino's 2.75 mill. to upgrade elsewhere.

As for his ability, I'm not sold either, remember I'm not necessarily saying I want this to happen, I'm just saying what I think is a possibility for a trade involving el duque is.

I don't think Kevin Brown or Jaret Wright are exactly good options either but I do think after this strong second half from many of the stopgap solutions they are going to give long looks to Chacon, Small, and Wang for the 4th and 5th starter spots next season.

Also they are probably going to be stuck with Wright anyway since nobody would take that contract. They have to pitch him to build his value or just release him.

Maybe at the end of spring training if none of their other options look good the Yankees would trade for Orlando Hernandez. I just don't see it happening during the normal offseason trading season.

The yankees fans who pine for Orlando Hernandez as the solution to their problems are like the sox fans who have been pining all season for Ross Gload to jumpstart the offense. You know, slightly delusional. I think the rotation next season is Johnson, Mussina (not sure of his contract status), Pavano (unless traded), Wright, and Wang with Small and Chacon backing them up in the bullpen. They are basically stuck with these guys.

I don't have any problem really of picking up the cheaper player to upgrade other positions. But Tino martinez would just create a enourmous hole in the lineup. When you remove that week where he was on fire and hit like 9 HR's in 10 games his stats aren't starter material anymore and not worth even 2.75 million.

Also if you are going to take the cheaper/upgrade option you have to make damn sure that your team can actually aquire a suitable offensive upgrade at another position and looking at this offseason it doesn't look like there are going to be a lot of players available at positions where the sox could really use an upgrade.