PDA

View Full Version : Who's opting for game 5?

mike squires
09-14-2005, 06:19 PM
I know it will be taking a chance but I think I'm going to order tix (or attempt to) for game 5. I'm thinking most people will be going for 1 and 2 knowing they will go to a game. What do you think and what are you going to do?

kittle42
09-14-2005, 06:24 PM
I think any of us will be lucky to get tickets to any of those games.

downstairs
09-14-2005, 06:25 PM
Go nuts! More real tickets for the rest of us!

Kidding... but since baseball doesn't work like basketball (where every single possible postseason game is given a number, and you just buy that number)... its a bit risky in my mind.

downstairs
09-14-2005, 06:26 PM
Quick side question....

Does anyone know how many tix are available for each of these games?

Fuller_Schettman
09-14-2005, 06:26 PM
Since I will be in town only for Game 5 (Sunday the 9th, right?), whomever is getting me a ticket please choose Game 5.

Alternately (or perhaps, additionally) I will be in Chicago for game 1 of the ALCS if it starts on Tuesday the 11th.

Many much thanks in advance. :cool:

MarySwiss
09-14-2005, 06:29 PM
I know it will be taking a chance but I think I'm going to order tix (or attempt to) for game 5. I'm thinking most people will be going for 1 and 2 knowing they will go to a game. What do you think and what are you going to do?

I am going to hope and pray that your disappointment at not seeing a game 5 is offset by your extreme glee at seeing the Sox sweep the first series. :cool:

Fuller_Schettman
09-14-2005, 06:30 PM
I am going to hope and pray that your disappointment at not seeing a game 5 is offset by your extreme glee at seeing the Sox sweep the first series. :cool:

Sweeping the Angels? Sweet revenge!!

Mots09
09-14-2005, 06:31 PM
I think tickets will be easy to get if you are working all avenues (inet, phone, cell phone) in order to get'em.

Fact of the matter is that the cell still seats a good # of people and take that by season tick holdes, mlb comp seats, and ticket limitations everyone should be ok to get a few seats to each game.:dtroll:

UofCSoxFan
09-14-2005, 06:36 PM
For playoff series I usually go for game 5/7 or whatever...simply because most people want a guaranteed game...making it easier to get tickets (easy being a relative term here).

MarySwiss
09-14-2005, 06:55 PM

And if I may pontificate for a moment, that is what I have always hated about postseason play--in any sport.

This may sound goofy--and I'm sure it is--but I will go to my grave believing that the Sox lost the '83 series to Baltimore because the synergy* had changed, due to the lack of "true" Sox fans that made it into the park. I went to a ton of games that year, and that team really seemed to feed off the crowd's energy. Then came the playoffs and whoosh! All those corporate guys in suits. The difference was almost palpable.

However, this team does not seem to be as dependent on the crowd support as that team was. At least, let's hope they aren't. But either way, it's a damn shame that the fans who support their team year-round have to suffer so MLB can satisfy their lust for the big bucks that playoffs bring.

Okay, I'm done ranting. For now.

*in 1983, "synergy" probably wasn't even a word yet. How cutting edge am I?

doogiec
09-14-2005, 07:15 PM
At least, let's hope they aren't. But either way, it's a damn shame that the fans who support their team year-round have to suffer so MLB can satisfy their lust for the big bucks that playoffs bring.

As far as I can tell, the Sox are distributing the bulk of the tickets to season ticket holders, including partial season ticket holders who didn't have to purchase that many games to qualify. Seems to me those are a lot of the fans that support their team year round. How would you propose they do this differently?

BTW, I still blame the Dibber for 1983, although the theory on too many men in suits is something I never really thought about before.

skobabe8
09-14-2005, 07:17 PM
And if I may pontificate for a moment, that is what I have always hated about postseason play--in any sport.

This may sound goofy--and I'm sure it is--but I will go to my grave believing that the Sox lost the '83 series to Baltimore because the synergy* had changed, due to the lack of "true" Sox fans that made it into the park. I went to a ton of games that year, and that team really seemed to feed off the crowd's energy. Then came the playoffs and whoosh! All those corporate guys in suits. The difference was almost palpable.

However, this team does not seem to be as dependent on the crowd support as that team was. At least, let's hope they aren't. But either way, it's a damn shame that the fans who support their team year-round have to suffer so MLB can satisfy their lust for the big bucks that playoffs bring.

Okay, I'm done ranting. For now.

*in 1983, "synergy" probably wasn't even a word yet. How cutting edge am I?

That was a solid rant. I totally agree. Thats why NBA games are so boring to me. Its mostly suits.

Jurr
09-14-2005, 07:52 PM
Yeah..I've got patients that can't be cancelled during the first few days of the series. I'm stuck hoping to be able to get into Chicago for a game 5 or an ALCS game that is held during the weekend. I'm going to buy a game 5 ticket and I guess I'll have to scalp for an ALCS ticket. Lucky me. :(:

MarySwiss
09-14-2005, 08:03 PM
As far as I can tell, the Sox are distributing the bulk of the tickets to season ticket holders, including partial season ticket holders who didn't have to purchase that many games to qualify. Seems to me those are a lot of the fans that support their team year round. How would you propose they do this differently?
BTW, I still blame the Dibber for 1983, although the theory on too many men in suits is something I never really thought about before.

I think the Sox are probably doing the best they can to ensure that their support base--i.e., season ticket holders--get as many tickets as possible. And there probably isn't a way to do it differently, given the constraints that MLB imposes. That's why my rant was a rant.

Fact remains--and this doesn't pertain only to Chicago or to baseball playoffs--the average fans, the ones with the kids, the mortgage, and the middle-income job, support the team they love as best they can, but the chances of these fans making it to a playoff game, let alone a World Series game, are slim to none. And that sucks.

And as I posted on another thread recently, I think the Dibber shouldered a disproportionate amount of the blame. You have to hang some of it on the third base coach who had been sending runners all year long in similar situations, but suddenly hung out a stop sign--and left Dibber out to dry.

mike squires
09-14-2005, 09:05 PM
Ah, I love 83 talk. If you go back and look at the tape the ball that was hit to left was scalded and Vance was running not Rudy. Dybber made a mistake but the Sox stranded many many guys that game 4, including the winning run 90 feet away in the 9th.

doogiec
09-14-2005, 09:22 PM
Ah, I love 83 talk. If you go back and look at the tape the ball that was hit to left was scalded and Vance was running not Rudy. Dybber made a mistake but the Sox stranded many many guys that game 4, including the winning run 90 feet away in the 9th.

Yea, my quick little Dibber comment was obviously a smart ass comment, not a thorough evaluation of the 83 playoffs. Lots of things went wrong for three straight games to put Tito in the position to destroy my world that Saturday. Blaming Dybzinski is no more accurate than blaming Bartman for the Cubs failures. Cheap shot on my part.

For years I've had a group of friends that split season tickets, and I know quite a few others that do the same thing. Works out well for the occasional year the Sox make the playoffs. I've got one guy in my group who only goes to one game a month, and he's got at least one game for the ALDS, ALCS and WS. The downside of course is he needs to commit to his games before the season starts, if the weather stinks or the Sox stink he's stuck with the tickets. And occasionally, the Sox don't actually make the playoffs! But most everyone in my group is in the category MarySwiss mentioned, middle class, mortgage and kids. I don't believe anyone is being reimbursed by a corporation. And we all got postseason tickets

It might be a cool thing if a group of WSI'ers got together to do something like this in the future.

I'll stop now, since the Sox actually employ people to sell season tickets, they don't need me doing it for free!

mike squires
09-14-2005, 09:23 PM
I think tickets will be easy to get if you are working all avenues (inet, phone, cell phone) in order to get'em.

Fact of the matter is that the cell still seats a good # of people and take that by season tick holdes, mlb comp seats, and ticket limitations everyone should be ok to get a few seats to each game.:dtroll:

I'm just curious...who was the troll for?

NardiWasHere
09-14-2005, 09:30 PM
I have off of school on mon/tues.... so i'm gonna try for game 3 and hope the sox get homefield advantage and win the ALDS in dramatic fashion.... when would ALCS tickets go on sale?

spiffie
09-14-2005, 09:31 PM
That was a solid rant. I totally agree. Thats why NBA games are so boring to me. Its mostly suits.
I was at all of the Bulls home playoff games last year, and I didn't really get that sense. I had one game in the 200 level (club section) and everyone around me was loud and energized. The other games I was up in the boonies in the 500 level (the $12 tickets), and of course up there it was insane.

That said, It does seem plausible that there will be more than a few people there who are not as engaged as some other fans might be with MLB holding so many tickets and the general bandwagon-hopping that occurs. Hopefully that proportion will be small enough to not be noticeable though.

Brian26
09-14-2005, 09:48 PM

Do you think it will be too much of a rush? I was lucky in getting tix in 2000, and I actually had some tix lined up in 2003 if we would have won it. Both times, I went through the Sox website. Do you think it will be tougher this time since the box office is closed?

TDog
09-15-2005, 12:03 PM
.... its a bit risky in my mind.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see the risk. In 2000, I had tickets for game 5 as well as 1 and 2. I also had tickets for the ALCS. I had to get a refund for game 5, but I also had to get refunds for all the ALCS tickets.

If there's a game, you get a seat. If there's no game, you get a refund.

kevingrt
09-15-2005, 12:05 PM
Since I am at school the best time for me to come up is the weekend, so obviously I am getting tickets to Sunday's game. But we need to make the playoffs first.

UofCSoxFan
09-15-2005, 12:23 PM
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see the risk. In 2000, I had tickets for game 5 as well as 1 and 2. I also had tickets for the ALCS. I had to get a refund for game 5, but I also had to get refunds for all the ALCS tickets.

I agree....the worse you are out is like 10 bucks for service charges (they may even refund those now).

I had round 2 bulls tickets this year....and got an automatic credit card refund

Sad
09-15-2005, 12:43 PM

yeah I was thinking of trying for game #1 first then game #3 (5th of the 5-game series)..

now, if we lose home field advantage, then I'm assuming you'll automatically get a refund (for #3) as there will be no home game #3 unless the SOX make it to the next round... and them tickets are going to be pricier and even less of 'em...

A_ROW33
09-15-2005, 02:12 PM

The risk is not monetary, the risk is missing the chance to see the sox in the playoffs.
However given that risk I still find it a nice idea to go for game 5 because if the sox win they advance and it is more special to witness them advance in the playoffs than to see them play and even win a game in the playoffs, as could be he case in game 1 or 2, imo

Dan H
09-15-2005, 02:19 PM
I think the Sox are probably doing the best they can to ensure that their support base--i.e., season ticket holders--get as many tickets as possible. And there probably isn't a way to do it differently, given the constraints that MLB imposes. That's why my rant was a rant.

Fact remains--and this doesn't pertain only to Chicago or to baseball playoffs--the average fans, the ones with the kids, the mortgage, and the middle-income job, support the team they love as best they can, but the chances of these fans making it to a playoff game, let alone a World Series game, are slim to none. And that sucks.

And as I posted on another thread recently, I think the Dibber shouldered a disproportionate amount of the blame. You have to hang some of it on the third base coach who had been sending runners all year long in similar situations, but suddenly hung out a stop sign--and left Dibber out to dry.

I agree with you that average fans usually don't have a chance to go to playoff games. But I got lucky in 1983 buying a ticket in the street five minutes before game time for only $5 over face value.

Dibber did get too much of the blame for 1983. One other poster mentioned that the winning run was on third in the ninth in game four. That runner was Jerry Dybzinski who had singled with two out and he advanced on a Julio Cruz single. Rudy Law took a third strike on a 3-2 count and one of the few White Sox chances to go to a Series vanished.