PDA

View Full Version : Pods' Stolen Base Lead has Dwindled....

Heffalump
09-14-2005, 05:55 PM
Anyone notice that three other players are within 6 SBs of Pods' MLB leading 56? I know he hasn't had a bunch of chances recently and is coming off that groin problem, but do you think he is just saving the agressiveness for the playoffs or is the pre-all star break Pods gone for the year?

I sure hope it is the former.

GO SOX !!!!

Rocky Soprano
09-14-2005, 05:56 PM
What you meant to say is that his lead is Shrinking.

:D:

JohnBasedowYoda
09-14-2005, 06:00 PM

nice.

i think his groin is worse than we're led on

Jurr
09-14-2005, 06:00 PM
As a former athletic trainer, I can tell you that hip flexor injuries not only nag players to death, but they take a lot out of a guy's explosiveness.

Leg muscles in general are just a bear to rehab. Quads, the hamstrings group, calves...they all seem to last FOREVER!

I doubt that Podsednik is going to be as good a base stealer as he was earlier based on the fact that his explosion is really hampered with the injury. He won't be 100% with that injury until he gets a couple of weeks to a month of rest on it. That won't happen until the season's over. It's exactly the same with NFL players who have hamstring(s) pulls. They don't get quite right until the post-season.

putherawaywet
09-14-2005, 06:02 PM
While it is true that he has played in far fewer games than the others on the leaderboard, you also can't overlook the fact that he also leads MLB in the caught stealing category.

DaleJRFan
09-14-2005, 06:14 PM
who cares? He is hitting the crap out of the ball... singles, extra base hits... as long as he gets on base and gives the guys behind him RBI chances, I could care less if Figgins passes him.

MUsoxfan
09-14-2005, 06:33 PM
:farmer
"Some people on a Sox fan site have noticed that Podsednik's SB lead has shrunken as of late. What does that mean? I'll tell you what it means. It means absolutely nothing. The team is about winning and not individual stats. Would Podsednik rather have a division crown than 100 SB's? Of course he would. Any rational ballplayer would."

skobabe8
09-14-2005, 07:18 PM

Perfectly done!

Heffalump
09-14-2005, 07:36 PM
My post wasn't meant to address the individual accolades of winning the stolen base crown. It was more to point out that Pods has not had the same explosiveness as in the first half, and nor have the Sox. Not having the "first half Pods" definitely makes our team less powerful for the playoffs.

Jurr
09-14-2005, 07:40 PM
My post wasn't meant to address the individual accolades of winning the stolen base crown. It was more to point out that Pods has not had the same explosiveness as in the first half, and nor have the Sox. Not having the "first half Pods" definitely makes our team less powerful for the playoffs.
OR..it could make our team less powerful for the playoffs.
Just kidding.

I think when playoff time comes, Pods may take himself a little cortisone shot in the surrounding tendons to take some of the ouch off of it. I doubt a guy would want to risk something at this point in the season, but come playoff time, you're close to the end, so more dynamic therapy is indicated.

Plus, the adrenaline of the playoffs will make Pods less tentative on that leg. When you're in the middle of the dog days, you're going to take it easier on an injured leg.

Jurr
09-14-2005, 07:41 PM
OR..it could make our team less powerful for the playoffs.
Just kidding.

I think when playoff time comes, Pods may take himself a little cortisone shot in the surrounding tendons to take some of the ouch off of it. I doubt a guy would want to risk something at this point in the season, but come playoff time, you're close to the end, so more dynamic therapy is indicated.

Plus, the adrenaline of the playoffs will make Pods less tentative on that leg. When you're in the middle of the dog days, you're going to take it easier on an injured leg.
Damn..you caught the typo. Good job. My attempt at humor is stifled.

tlebar318
09-15-2005, 02:17 PM
The fact that Pods was on the DL two times this year and is still the leading base stealer is impressive to me.....

Unregistered
09-15-2005, 02:18 PM
The fact that Pods was on the DL two times this year and is still the leading base stealer is impressive to me.....Something's wrong - he just got pegged by a mile on a failed hit and run. And naturally, Willie hits a double in the corner on the next pitch...

miker
09-15-2005, 02:20 PM
Something's wrong - he just got pegged by a mile on a failed hit and run. And naturally, Willie hits a double in the corner on the next pitch...
He was running on a sloppy track. Pods is a speedster, not a mudder.

He shouldn't of gone, but I guess he has the green light all the time.

kittle42
09-15-2005, 02:27 PM
He was running on a sloppy track. Pods is a speedster, not a mudder.

He shouldn't of gone, but I guess he has the green light all the time.

Rooney and Farmer both just agreed he is not running at 100%, despite Scott's protestations to the contrary.

Heffalump
09-15-2005, 02:39 PM
[QUOTE=miker]He was running on a sloppy track. Pods is a speedster, not a mudder.
QUOTE]

But his mudder was a mudder and his fadder was a mudder !

DickAllen72
09-15-2005, 06:30 PM
I've been a fan of Podsednik since his big year with the Brewers. I wanted to see Podsednik on the Sox even before there were any rumors that the Sox were interested in him

Having said that, I must say that Scott has been playing with his head up his ass ever since he's been back from the DL. Bonehead plays in the field and on the basepaths have been his MO for a while now.

I don't know if it has to do with his engagement or what, but as Scott goes, so seem to go the Sox. I hope he gets his act together starting tomorrow. If not, it may be better to start Borchard in LF down the stretch!

Lip Man 1
09-15-2005, 06:38 PM
It's hard to play small-ball or smart-ball when you have no one on the team stealing bases anymore.

So much for 'aggresive' play.

Lip

antitwins13
09-15-2005, 06:46 PM
He didn't catch a fly ball in left field against KC, he let a runner into scoring position because he was too lazy to just get the ball in, and he can't steal a bag. I think it's time to sit him for a few games and let Anderson/Borchard get a few games in.

MERPER
09-15-2005, 06:48 PM
No Time To Rest Anyone Right Now...

In Case You Haven't Noticed... We Are In A Race And Are Lead Is Shrinking By The Day... All Of Our Starters Must Play Until This Thing Is Clinched

JRIG
09-15-2005, 06:48 PM
I've been a fan of Podsednik since his big year with the Brewers. I wanted to see Podsednik on the Sox even before there were any rumors that the Sox were interested in him

Having said that, I must say that Scott has been playing with his head up his ass ever since he's been back from the DL. Bonehead plays in the field and on the basepaths have been his MO for a while now.

I don't know if it has to do with his engagement or what, but as Scott goes, so seem to go the Sox. I hope he gets his act together starting tomorrow. If not, it may be better to start Borchard in LF down the stretch!

Borchard? Brian Anderson is back on the roster, you know.

If Podsednik can't steal bases, he's pretty much worthless. He doesn't get on base at a real great rate, he doesn't walk very much, he has no power whatsoever, and he is adequate at best in the outfield.

Huisj
09-15-2005, 06:51 PM
He puts the sox in kind of a tough spot right now. He's been the spark of the offense all year, so you'd think that right now in big crunch time you'd need him in there to step it up, but at the same time, it's not really clear that he's physically capable of doing so. He doesn't have his first step and he's not blazing on the basepaths anymore.

It's almost like if you sit him and play the young guys instead, it's a risk that they might do nothing during the most crucial stretch of the season, but if you don't sit him, he might not ever actually get back to normal.

Sort of the same situation as with Hermanson.

:(:

SouthBendSox
09-15-2005, 09:42 PM
what about his caught stealing lead?

hows that going

TimoPerez
09-15-2005, 10:47 PM
Don't get me wrong. Podzilla is very fast and I like him very much. Jose Reyes is just much faster than he and probably anyone else in the game. He'll probably get more stolen bases than anyone else for the next decade and maybe more. If anyone in the game has a shot to steal 100 bases(I'm just saying. I don't know if he will) it is Jose Reyes.

DickAllen72
09-15-2005, 10:54 PM
Borchard? Brian Anderson is back on the roster, you know.

The point is that if Podsednik doesn't get his head out of his ass, they'd be better off with Borchard in LF.

I don't know what's up with Pods, but he's playing really stupid baseball lately--and I'm a fan of his! If Pods starts playing the way he did in the first half, the Sox should roll into the playoffs.