PDA

View Full Version : MLB and ESPN reach new TV deal

ChiSoxRowand
09-14-2005, 04:18 PM
Link. (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20050914&content_id=1209458&vkey=pr_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb) They bought the Sunday, Monday, and Wednesday TV package for eight more years.

Stroker Ace
09-14-2005, 04:28 PM
NOOOOOO!!!!!!!:angry: :whiner: :angry: :whiner:

soltrain21
09-14-2005, 04:37 PM
NOOOOOO!!!!!!!:angry: :whiner: :angry: :whiner:

Why are you upset? Who else was going to pick it up? ESPN baseball is better than no baseball.

fledgedrallycap
09-14-2005, 04:41 PM
Link. (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20050914&content_id=1209458&vkey=pr_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb) They bought the Sunday, Monday, and Wednesday TV package for eight more years.

Congrats, you beat Fenway to the punch :cool:

MUsoxfan
09-14-2005, 04:43 PM
Why are you upset? Who else was going to pick it up? ESPN baseball is better than no baseball.

I agree. Yes....it's 8 more years of 15 Yanks/Red Sox games a year, but it can also be 8 years of great exposure for the White Sox if they keep it up. Did you want Spike TV to pick it up or something?:rolleyes:

mantis1212
09-14-2005, 04:55 PM
This is good news as long as they keep Jeff Brantley as the excellent color man that he is.

MUsoxfan
09-14-2005, 04:58 PM
This is good news as long as they keep Jeff Brantley as the excellent color man that he is.

:tealpolice:??

.....I hope

LuvSox
09-14-2005, 05:18 PM

And Sutcliffe and Morgan........

Lip Man 1
09-14-2005, 05:22 PM
That's a shame. I was hoping that OLN (Comcast) would get it and stick it right up the rear end's of the Entertainment Network. (ESPN Hollywood anyone?)

Great, eight more years of having the Yankees/ Red Sox rammed down our throats, eight more years of buffoons like Harold Reynolds, John Kruk and Jeff Brantley.

Now that's entertainment!

Lip

Hokiesox
09-14-2005, 07:35 PM
Well, if OLN had picked it up, we'd have 15 Phillies games and 15 Pirates games. On top of that, the ESPN crew probably would have migrated. I'll take option Y (ESPN) as opposed to option Z (OLN)

HotelWhiteSox
09-14-2005, 07:44 PM
I also wanted Comcast

I read a theory about this on a broadcasting/tv forum. They said that since ESPN is owned by Disney, they can spend as much as they want, but will then force the extra charges to the providers since they payed so much, meaning raises in cable and satellite monthly bills.

Lip Man 1
09-14-2005, 11:54 PM
Hokie:

Just FYI, Comcast owns a station in Chicago and in Northern California. So much for the Phillies and Pirates conspiracy.

Lip

Fenway
09-15-2005, 10:07 AM
There is good news and bad news for White Sox fans with this deal.

The good news, MLB will now allow highlites from games in progress on Sportscenter at 11 PM Eastern which should help with the so called east coast bias. Until now only Baseball Tonight was allowed cutins.

The bad news? ESPN's deal gives them an exclusive on Monday nights to out of market cable games and that is directed at WGN and WTBS. If MLB gets its way by 2008, WGN will not be allowed to beam Cubs and White Sox games outside the teams zones ( the list of zipcodes you see on mlb.tv)

MLB has been anti superstation for years and made it clear that for New York's WWOR and WPIX to carry Mets and Yankees they had to get out of the superstation biz. ( rules don't apply to Canada which is why you can still get them and Boston's WSBK )

MLB is simply moving ahead with its plan that if you are out of market and the game not on ESPN, you will have to pay for it.

Kogs35
09-15-2005, 10:23 AM
There is good news and bad news for White Sox fans with this deal.

The good news, MLB will now allow highlites from games in progress on Sportscenter at 11 PM Eastern which should help with the so called east coast bias. Until now only Baseball Tonight was allowed cutins.

The bad news? ESPN's deal gives them an exclusive on Monday nights to out of market cable games and that is directed at WGN and WTBS. If MLB gets its way by 2008, WGN will not be allowed to beam Cubs and White Sox games outside the teams zones ( the list of zipcodes you see on mlb.tv)

MLB has been anti superstation for years and made it clear that for New York's WWOR and WPIX to carry Mets and Yankees they had to get out of the superstation biz. ( rules don't apply to Canada which is why you can still get them and Boston's WSBK )

MLB is simply moving ahead with its plan that if you are out of market and the game not on ESPN, you will have to pay for it.

the sox only get 30 something games on wgn anyway.

Lip Man 1
09-15-2005, 12:43 PM
Congress twice has stepped in and aborted any attempts to shut down Superstations. I wouldn't worry about this cause' it ain't gonna happen.

The Tribune Company and AOL/Time Warner have powerful friends in Congress.

Lip

Fenway
09-15-2005, 12:52 PM
Congress twice has stepped in and aborted any attempts to shut down Superstations. I wouldn't worry about this cause' it ain't gonna happen.

The Tribune Company and AOL/Time Warner have powerful friends in Congress.

Lip

True to a point

However MLB can force WGN to only televise in the Chicago market and send Andy of Mayberry or some old movie to the bird.

WGN splits often every day. For example they run Millionaire in Chicago from 11 AM to Noon but nationally they show old sitcoms.

Kogs35
09-15-2005, 12:59 PM
True to a point

However MLB can force WGN to only televise in the Chicago market and send Andy of Mayberry or some old movie to the bird.

WGN splits often every day. For example they run Millionaire in Chicago from 11 AM to Noon but nationally they show old sitcoms.

the only thing they can do is limit the games. the nba limits the bulls to 15 games on the superstation. mlb has zero freinds in congress.

Fenway
09-15-2005, 01:05 PM
mlb has zero freinds in congress.

They got a big one up the street at 1600 Penn Ave :smile:

miker
09-15-2005, 01:20 PM
When I first saw this in the "Baseball Discussions" screen, I thought the thread was going to be "MLB and ESPN reach new low..." :smile:

SouthSide_HitMen
09-15-2005, 01:30 PM

The problem is MLB doesn't allow you at this juncture to pay for the games. If you are in the zip code grid you are blacked out on MLB.TV regardless of whether you can actually get another source to broadcast the games or not. People in the Rockford area and elsewhere do not have access to the U games among others but they cannot purchase the game via MLB.TV due to the blackout.

I wrote MLB and the White Sox about this. They should offer people the ability to pay for the local broadcast - many of which games are free on WGN / U of which MLB / the team would get a portion and the broadcast holder would also get a portion (say $29.95 extra per year on mlb.tv to get the local team rights).

Maybe Lip or someone can explain why this is or is not possible.

Fenway
09-15-2005, 01:37 PM
Educated guess

If you had DirecTV or Dish you COULD get WGN/WCIU where you live even if the cable outlet doesn't offer 26.

This is a problem everywhere on the fringe areas of a market. ( nowhere worse than Connecticut)

The problem is MLB doesn't allow you at this juncture to pay for the games. If you are in the zip code grid you are blacked out on MLB.TV regardless of whether you can actually get another source to broadcast the games or not. People in the Rockford area and elsewhere do not have access to the U games among others but they cannot purchase the game via MLB.TV due to the blackout.

I wrote MLB and the White Sox about this. They should offer people the ability to pay for the local broadcast - many of which games are free on WGN / U of which MLB / the team would get a portion and the broadcast holder would also get a portion (say $29.95 extra per year on mlb.tv to get the local team rights).

SouthSide_HitMen
09-15-2005, 01:58 PM
Educated guess

If you had DirecTV or Dish you COULD get WGN/WCIU where you live even if the cable outlet doesn't offer 26.

This is a problem everywhere on the fringe areas of a market. ( nowhere worse than Connecticut)

I have a Condo and can only put a Dish on my Patio. Problem is with the trees there are no direct views. Also I don't want to pay money to companies I find objectionable and cable / Dish makes you buy a package but that is my personal choice. Still there are people that for whatever reason cannot access all the White Sox games though they are listed on MLB's Zip Code List. They would sell many subscriptions to the Local broadcast (via MLB.tv & the Direct TV Baseball Package) with the additional local broadcast charge which I am sure the teams, Comcast, WGN, etc. would love to share in. They deliver the same comercials so they increase viewers / market share to boot.

I am not talking about the blacked out FOX and ESPN games - I am talking about the rgular day to day games that are blacked out for local viewers. Charge extra, make and split the profits with the broadcasters - win / win / win (MLB, TV, Fans).

Kogs35
09-18-2005, 09:45 PM
from Tim Tucker's column at the AJC:

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/s...5/18sptbiz.html (http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/0905/18sptbiz.html)

Negotiations continue with Fox on an extension of the network's regular-season and postseason deal; Fox's current six-year, $2.5 billion contract expires after next season and is sure to rise. MLB also is believed to be close to announcing a new deal with Turner Broadcasting, which pays a hefty fee to MLB for the right to broadcast Braves games nationally on TBS. And the new ESPN deal does not preclude baseball from making further deals with other cable networks, such as OLN, Selig said.

Hitmen77
09-19-2005, 09:30 AM
Get ready to see even MORE Yankees, Red Sox, and Cubs and LESS of teams like the Sox on Sunday night baseball:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/sns-ap-bbo-baseball-espn,1,617655.story
The deal announced Wednesday, which runs through 2013, allows the network to have a team be on its exclusive Sunday night games up to five times per season, up from 11 appearances over a three-season span under the $815 million, six-year contract that is expiring.

MISoxfan
09-25-2005, 10:40 AM

I have the opposite problem. I live across the Lake from Chicago and can pick up WCIU and WGN with rabbit ears if I wanted. So those games are no problem, but last season I was forced to have FSN Detroit instead of Chicago and this season I get CSN Chicago but the games are blacked out.

Its not as bad though because at least I had the option to order Extra Innings to watch them, even if I shouldn't have had too. The only games I miss are against the Tigers those games are blacked out.