PDA

View Full Version : Going to Wrigley the 24th and need advice

PatK
09-14-2005, 02:09 PM
I'm going to the Cubs game on the 24th when they play the Astros. My g/f's co-worker gave her the tickets. Since my g/f is more of a Cubs fan (although she's beginning to turn into more of a Sox fan), she wanted to go.

I haven't been there in about 6 years, and am relucatantly going, mainly because I think Clemens could be pitching, and that weekend could be the official end of any hope for the most delusional of Cubs fans.

Since the bleachers are full of obnoxious drunks, I'm not going to wear any Sox gear (probably going to wear my old Yankees jerser and Railcats hat). But I'm not throwing any balls back if they come my way. How low key should I be about being a Sox fan?

miker
09-14-2005, 02:12 PM
How low key should I be about being a Sox fan?
You should be proud and rub it in their faces!

Iwritecode
09-14-2005, 02:13 PM
I did the "double-header" thing one time in 2001 (Sox game during the day, Cubs game at night) and walked in with a Sox hat, jersey and jacket and had no problems.

Oddly enough, they lost to the Astros that day too. :D:

cheeses_h_rice
09-14-2005, 02:13 PM
I would act as you would want any Flubs fan visiting the Cell to act.

Unless it's a game against the White Sox, on the rare occasion I do patronize the Urinal, I don't wear any Sox stuff and don't like an ass. I don't cheer for either side, either. I just observe.

Iwritecode
09-14-2005, 02:18 PM

Unless it's a game against the White Sox, on the rare occasion I do patronize the Urinal, I don't wear any Sox stuff and don't like an ass. I don't cheer for either side, either. I just observe.

That's good advice too. Even though I was head to toe in Sox gear I wasn't obnoxious about it. I kept to myself, cheered when the Astros scored a run and refrained from yelling "Sox Rule Cubs Suck!". :D:

I did find it amusing when they had to check my ticket stub before I could return to my seat. They couldn't remember that the only guy in the whole stadium wearing Sox gear had just walked past them 5 minutes ago.

It was the first home game after 9/11 so I'm sure they were just being extra cautious...

kittle42
09-14-2005, 02:21 PM
That's good advice too. Even though I was head to toe in Sox gear I wasn't obnoxious about it. I kept to myself, cheered when the Astros scored a run and refrained from yelling "Sox Rule Cubs Suck!"

This is precisely the way to act, in my opinion. I always wear some piece of Sox apparel, and usually sit in the bleachers. I would not be concerned. The bleachers are more of a party and less of a contentious atmosphere.

LongLiveFisk
09-14-2005, 02:24 PM

I do the same as you the rare times I go. It's not that I'm scared of those people but I'd rather not draw attention to myself like that.

SOXPHILE
09-14-2005, 02:26 PM
First off, bring a can of Lysol and spray yourself down every couple of innings, or after visiting the restrooms. Second, Go ahead and wear a Sox hat. That's not being obnoxious or "rubbing their faces in it". Be proud of your team. I would even go so far as to say go ahead and cheer for the visitors. Just don't be real loud and obnoxious about it. I've done that in the past when at the Urinal, and never had any problems. Maybe a couple of confused or annoyed looks, that's all. Most of the people all around me were too busy talking with each other, on the cell phones, and asking who's singing the 7th inning stretch to even notice. If you stand up and run up and down the isles yelling "Wooo !! Sox ! Sox rule ! Cubs suck ! Cubs suck ! Ha ha ha ha ha ha !!" like the Cub fans do at U.S. Cellular (teams reversed of course), then you'd look bad and might be asking for trouble.

Ol' No. 2
09-14-2005, 02:35 PM
My suggestion:

http://www.quakekare.com/ProductImages/8m1_detailed_image.gif

KarkoFan1
09-14-2005, 02:37 PM

I do much of the same but I usually will wear a Sox hat. I don't go crazy with the Sox gear but I think wearing a hat isn't being obnoxious. But I mostly sit there and enjoy the baseball game.

Rocky Soprano
09-14-2005, 02:40 PM
I caught at game at Wrigley like 2 weeks ago against the Dodgers. One of the sales managers game me his tickets. I took a friend that is a huge Dodgers fan. I wore my Sox hat only because I wore what I brought to work.

I made sure never to act like all those retarded Cub fans that show up at The Cell. I cheered along with my friend and just enjoyed the Dodgers victory.

cheeses_h_rice
09-14-2005, 02:42 PM
I do much of the same but I usually will wear a Sox hat. I don't go crazy with the Sox gear but I think wearing a hat isn't being obnoxious. But I mostly sit there and enjoy the baseball game.

A hat is fine, I think, but I guess I'm thinking of the many times at Sox games where I've seen someone decked out head to toe in Baby Bear wear when the Sox are playing, say, the Tigers. It just looks really out of place, and IMO, makes the person wearing the stuff seem less respectable.

mr_genius
09-14-2005, 02:52 PM
I've seen someone decked out head to toe in Baby Bear wear when the Sox are playing, say, the Tigers. It just looks really out of place, and IMO, makes the person wearing the stuff seem less respectable.

:woo-woo

"me think it look good"

itsnotrequired
09-14-2005, 03:04 PM
I was at Monday's game against the Reds (free tickets with a friend). We were in Aisle 224 and I noticed a guy fully decked out in Sox gear in Aisle 223. Never saw any problems. Of course, he was well behaved and the grandstands tend to be a bit more low-key than the bleachers.

PatK
09-14-2005, 03:05 PM

That's what I'm leaning towards doing.

The only thing I'm really worried about is the "throw it back" thing if a ball comes our way, since we're getting there early so we can sit in the front row of the bleachers.

itsnotrequired
09-14-2005, 03:13 PM
The only thing I'm really worried about is the "throw it back" thing if a ball comes our way, since we're getting there early so we can sit in the front row of the bleachers.

When Valentin homered in the 5th on Monday, the guy who got the ball didn't throw it back. There were a bunch of boos but that was about it. I wasn't in the bleachers though so I couldn't say for sure if there were bigger problems other than heckling.

Willie Mo was the next batter up and also hit a homer. After his blast, TWO balls came back onto the field. Both were thrown from the same area but not the area where Valentin's was caught. I think it was a fake home run ball.:rolleyes:

MUsoxfan
09-14-2005, 03:15 PM

I do the same thing as Cheeses when attending a game at the Crumbling Confines. Sometimes I try to wear the general colors of the opposing team (Cardinals = red polo shirt). I don't cheer one way or another even though I'm always jumping up and down in my heart for whoever they're playing. I just hate people that wear Cubs crap at the Cell and I don't want to be "that guy" up at the Crumbling Confines. As far as the HR ball is concerned....either keep it or give it to a little kid and let the kid do as they wish with the ball.

CaptainBallz
09-14-2005, 03:19 PM

The "bird" is usually a good remedy for "peer" pressure like that. I saw a game about a month ago where a guy was refusing to throw the ball back, it was like the whole game stopped for a couple of minutes.. the cameras were on him, announcers were talking about him, that was ALL that mattered. Ridiculous. Somebody eventually gave him a fake ball to throw back. That was good enough for those buttheads.

I happened to wear a Sox hat at the Urinal earlier in the year. Didn't have a problem, got the guy nod from several other good folks representin.

So my advice, Wear what you want and FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DON"T THROW IT BACK!!!! unless it's a decoy.

C-Dawg
09-14-2005, 03:24 PM
I like wearing the Sox 87-90 "e" hat on the rare occasions I go to the Crumbling Confines. I'm still sporting the Sox' colors, and no one there knows what the heck it is. I view that as a win-win for me.

mr_genius
09-14-2005, 03:25 PM
if someone gave me a decoy i would keep that too

Stroker Ace
09-14-2005, 03:27 PM
How 'bout a Sox hard hat?

Ol' No. 2
09-14-2005, 03:30 PM
The "bird" is usually a good remedy for "peer" pressure like that. I saw a game about a month ago where a guy was refusing to throw the ball back, it was like the whole game stopped for a couple of minutes.. the cameras were on him, announcers were talking about him, that was ALL that mattered. Ridiculous. Somebody eventually gave him a fake ball to throw back. That was good enough for those buttheads.

I happened to wear a Sox hat at the Urinal earlier in the year. Didn't have a problem, got the guy nod from several other good folks representin.

So my advice, Wear what you want and FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DON"T THROW IT BACK!!!! unless it's a decoy.Bring a tennis ball with you and throw that back.

mr_genius
09-14-2005, 03:42 PM
Bring a tennis ball with you and throw that back.

hahaha, nice

whitesoxwin
09-14-2005, 04:06 PM
Wear your White Sox gear!!!
Give the Flub morons something to whine about besides the team.
Hell, if that idiot Woo-Woo can wear his full Flub uniform to our house (the only thing he owns)--You can proudly wear your White Sox gear there.
Those a--holes wear their crap where ever they go and act just like morons.
Wear your Sox gear!!!
The hell with the Flub Bums!

P.S.: Just remember to stoop to their level and maybe you can throw back a Flub homerun ball (but remember to bring your crappiest little league ball--keep the MLB one!!--That's what they do!)

maurice
09-14-2005, 04:06 PM
Don't go out of your way to wear Sox stuff, since they're not playing. If you do wear Sox stuff for whatever reason, a serious confrontation is unlikely. If you catch an opponent's HR ball, stick it in your pocket. (It's not safe to give it to a kid in blue.) If they hand you a fake ball to throw, say "thanks" and stick it in your pocket. If you catch a cub HR ball, stick it in your pocket or give it to a kid. If anybody gives you any ****, tell them that only a moron would throw away a free baseball.

Sox fans shouldn't immitate moron cub fans, especially not trash named Woo Woo.

Max Power
09-14-2005, 04:08 PM
I do the same thing as Cheeses when attending a game at the Crumbling Confines. Sometimes I try to wear the general colors of the opposing team (Cardinals = red polo shirt). I don't cheer one way or another even though I'm always jumping up and down in my heart for whoever they're playing. I just hate people that wear Cubs crap at the Cell and I don't want to be "that guy" up at the Crumbling Confines. As far as the HR ball is concerned....either keep it or give it to a little kid and let the kid do as they wish with the ball.

That's what I do too. I saw the Cubs get smoked by the Marlins this season and wore my Albuquerque Isotopes (Marlins' AAA team) shirt. Not like anyone there would get it.
It's tempting to wear all my Sox stuff like those losers that come to Comiskey, but... "if you hate something don't you do it too."

LuvSox
09-14-2005, 04:22 PM
`:chunks

kittle42
09-14-2005, 04:30 PM

Honestly, what are the chances of that?

ssirish317
09-14-2005, 05:18 PM
When Valentin homered in the 5th on Monday, the guy who got the ball didn't throw it back. There were a bunch of boos but that was about it. I wasn't in the bleachers though so I couldn't say for sure if there were bigger problems other than heckling.

Willie Mo was the next batter up and also hit a homer. After his blast, TWO balls came back onto the field. Both were thrown from the same area but not the area where Valentin's was caught. I think it was a fake home run ball.:rolleyes:

I was there and I only saw one ball come back out. I wore a Sox hat and did clap at times when the Reds scored, but I picked my spots. Like when Pena hit that 3 run homer in the 9th.

Harris=God
09-14-2005, 08:39 PM

Heres a funny story. earlier this year i was at wrigley and i caught a foul ball. The moron in front of me said if your a real cubs fan you will throw it back. I kept it and said sorry im a sox fan and we dont do that, a couple of people booed but i didnt care

kittle42
09-14-2005, 10:50 PM
Heres a funny story. earlier this year i was at wrigley and i caught a foul ball. The moron in front of me said if your a real cubs fan you will throw it back. I kept it and said sorry im a sox fan and we dont do that, a couple of people booed but i didnt care

I don't believe foul balls are thrown back at Wrigley.

Frater Perdurabo
09-15-2005, 08:15 AM
My advice: Don't go. Don't put one dime of your hard-earned money into the Tribune Company's pockets.

But since the tickets already have been bought, bring as much as you can from home so you don't buy any of the Urinal's concessions. Why help their profits?

Wear a Houston hat.

:cool:

ode to veeck
09-15-2005, 08:47 AM
Two options: (1) wear a Sox hat and act like a knowledgable respectful baseball fan, in which case you'll be totally out of place

(2) wear flubs paraphenalia and play the part of normal Urinal fans of the new millenium: start the "wave", have all your friends call you all day long on your cell phone set up with downloaded obnoxiouos ring tones, ask others to stand up and use your camera take your picture at the Urinal for posterity while the game is on, squeeze folks in your row as you leave your seats for consessions & bathrooms just as the cubs start to bat each inning, talk about anything but baseball with adjacent fans, ask "who's this guy" for 80% of the Flubs players and batters throughout the game, get roaring drunk and argue with courteous ushers like you were Leo "the Lip" Durocher

ode to veeck
09-15-2005, 08:48 AM

Never underestimate the ignorance of the lost ...

PatK
09-15-2005, 09:44 AM
My advice: Don't go. Don't put one dime of your hard-earned money into the Tribune Company's pockets.

But since the tickets already have been bought, bring as much as you can from home so you don't buy any of the Urinal's concessions. Why help their profits?

:cool:

I didn't pay for the tickets, and I plan on spending as little as possible at the park.

The only problem is that we're getting there early to get the front row of the bleachers, so I'll have to buy beer there.

I'm thinking of wearing an old Cubs Sosa jersey my g/f has that's way too small and putting on my hair extension I wore for mullet night. Then I'll get drunk and act like a Cubs fan.

chitownhawkfan
09-15-2005, 10:04 AM

I couldnt agree more, I hate when Cubs fans act like idiots at the Cell, when I go to Wrigley I dont wear Sox stuff, I just sit down and fill out a scorecard. I dont clap, I dont cheer I just observe and enjoy Major League Baseball.

The Critic
09-15-2005, 10:09 AM
You should bring a ball that has "like the other balls that get thrown back, this is NOT the home run ball" written on it and throw it onto the field, even if the homer is hit to the other part of the park.

kittle42
09-15-2005, 10:25 AM
I dont cheer I just observe and enjoy Major League Baseball.

They don't play Major League Baseball at Wrigley Field.

TDog
09-15-2005, 12:12 PM

It was a foul ball that cost the Cubs the World Series in 2003. Haven't you been paying attention?

Foul balls are cursed. They must be thrown back.

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-16-2005, 06:49 AM
I've gone to a few games at Wrigley this year, mostly for work events. I don't cheer, I don't root, I don't wear Sox or opposing team anything. People I've gone with ask me, "isn't this a great place to watch a game?"...my stock answer is always the same..."everyone's cute when they're 90...but they're still old".

Optipessimism
09-17-2005, 03:03 AM
If you're going to the Pee Shower you're going to have to bring a bar of soap.

Just don't drop it.

kittle42
09-17-2005, 03:35 AM
If you're going to the Pee Shower you're going to have to bring a bar of soap.

Just don't drop it.

You people just can't stop with the gay jokes, can you? It's so stupid and juvenile.

soxwon
09-17-2005, 10:17 PM
dont go!!!

PatK
09-18-2005, 12:04 PM
I guess it's the game on the 25th, not the 24th.

I'm only going because a) I don't have to pay for anything, and b) my cousins are going to the game and they want to have a few beers beforehand.

kittle42
09-18-2005, 12:42 PM
I guess it's the game on the 25th, not the 24th.

I'm only going because a) I don't have to pay for anything, and b) my cousins are going to the game and they want to have a few beers beforehand.

Eh, I go to a few Cubs games because I live so close. Sometimes, it's nice to see a minor league game.

John Barrett
09-18-2005, 04:21 PM
dont go!!!

I second that...and why do you need advice on what to wear? and you are going to go because your cousins are going and want to drink before hand? sounds like you already know what to wear....YOUR cubs cap!

Nellie_Fox
09-19-2005, 12:53 AM
I second that...and why do you need advice on what to wear? and you are going to go because your cousins are going and want to drink before hand? sounds like you already know what to wear....YOUR cubs cap!Yep, sounds like the typical Cubs fan. I'm going to Wrigley because my friends are and because there are lots of cool bars in the neighborhood.

There is no one for whom I would go to a Cubs game.

Soxfanspcu11
09-19-2005, 01:21 AM
I went to a cubs game this year and it was fantastic!

The weather was beautiful, the stands packed and the play on the field was great! I had such a great time, it was one of my best games of the season, and i have been to alot! I just cant stress how great it was.......

Oh yeah did i mention it was on May 21st???

You see that was the game the sox were down 1-0 till the 8th and then scored 4 RUNS! and ended up winning 5-3!

Yes, Being at wrigleyfield truly was amazing! I cant stress it enough! Especially with Flubs fans not having a damn word to say and me and my friend sporting our sox gear.

Ahh yes, that was a good day! :D:

StillMissOzzie
09-19-2005, 02:33 AM
Eh, I go to a few Cubs games because I live so close. Sometimes, it's nice to see a minor league game.

So pay a visit to the Kane County Cougars, Schaumburg Flyers, Joliet Jackhammers, etc. Don't fatten Wrigley coffers. Yeah, I see you live nearby Wrigley, but still...

SMO
:gulp:

The Racehorse
09-19-2005, 03:40 AM
I'm going to the Cubs game on the 24th when they play the Astros. My g/f's co-worker gave her the tickets. Since my g/f is more of a Cubs fan (although she's beginning to turn into more of a Sox fan), she wanted to go.

So let me get this straight, you're going to a game at Wrigley Field because your significant other happened to acquire some tickets through her place of work? How dare you live your life! Don't you know that the money you spend on those 2 or 3 beers could very well be the $20 that push the Cubs profit margin over the top, allowing them world domination! Don't you know THAT!! Let me remind you that we Sox fans are DEAD serious baseball fans that never allow trivial things such as living life, having fun, and even cracking a smile to happen... EVER! Oh, the Humanity!!!

kittle42
09-19-2005, 08:47 AM
So let me get this straight, you're going to a game at Wrigley Field because your significant other happened to acquire some tickets through her place of work? How dare you live your life! Don't you know that the money you spend on those 2 or 3 beers could very well be the $20 that push the Cubs profit margin over the top, allowing them world domination! Don't you know THAT!! Let me remind you that we Sox fans are DEAD serious baseball fans that never allow trivial things such as living life, having fun, and even cracking a smile to happen... EVER! Oh, the Humanity!!!

Good post. I don't think anyone needs an excuse to go see a ballgame once in a while when the Sox are out of town.

I went to a game at Minnesota last year against Detroit. Should I be faulted for giving cash to our division rivals?

itsnotrequired
09-19-2005, 09:06 AM
Good post. I don't think anyone needs an excuse to go see a ballgame once in a while when the Sox are out of town.

I went to a game at Minnesota last year against Detroit. Should I be faulted for giving cash to our division rivals?

Yes you should!:tongue:

I've seen the Cubs play at Wrigley twice this year. Pretty hard to turn down free tickets to a game that is only a 20 minute walk from my apartment.

The Racehorse
09-19-2005, 09:14 AM
Thanks... and I totally agree about going to any ballgame and enjoying oneself. I went to a game at Minnesota last year against Detroit. Should I be faulted for giving cash to our division rivals?
Seems we're the same in regards to having bigger fish to fry than worrying about another team's financial bottom line. :cool:

PatK
09-19-2005, 09:40 AM
I second that...and why do you need advice on what to wear? and you are going to go because your cousins are going and want to drink before hand? sounds like you already know what to wear....YOUR cubs cap!

If I'm lucky, I get to see my cousins once a year.

This game isn't costing me a dime. I'm not paying for anything.

So I'm a "Cubs Fan" because I want to go to a FREE game, drink and eat for FREE, and possibly watch Roger Clemens (one of my fantasy pitchers) shut down the Cubs?

Excuse me for being a fan of baseball, especially when it's free.

All of you calling me a Cubs fan or likening me to one, let me ask you, how many Sox games have you been to this year?

kittle42
09-19-2005, 10:12 AM
All of you calling me a Cubs fan or likening me to one, let me ask you, how many Sox games have you been to this year?

Yeah, some people are just silly.

I think, by the way, I have been to the Cell 28 times this year (plus at least two more this week); Wrigley 7 times (including all 3 vs. Sox); Busch once (Clemens vs. Mulder's 10-inning CG shutout); and Shea once (coincidentally against the Cubs).

Baseball!

spiffie
09-19-2005, 10:32 AM
If I'm lucky, I get to see my cousins once a year.

This game isn't costing me a dime. I'm not paying for anything.

So I'm a "Cubs Fan" because I want to go to a FREE game, drink and eat for FREE, and possibly watch Roger Clemens (one of my fantasy pitchers) shut down the Cubs?

Excuse me for being a fan of baseball, especially when it's free.

I haven't posted in this thread, and I've been to about 35 Sox games this year (3 at Wrigley, rest at the Cell), and hey, if someone made me that offer, I'd be at the Urinal. It's like when people get mad because you're watching the Cubs when the Sox aren't playing. It's baseball. I like baseball, and my baseball team of choice is the White Sox. But that doesn't mean I can't enjoy watching the sport when other teams are playing...even the enemy up north.

PatK
09-19-2005, 10:35 AM
Yeah, some people are just silly.

I think, by the way, I have been to the Cell 28 times this year (plus at least two more this week); Wrigley 7 times (including all 3 vs. Sox); Busch once (Clemens vs. Mulder's 10-inning CG shutout); and Shea once (coincidentally against the Cubs).

Baseball!

Exactly!

I haven't been to Wrigley since '99 and haven't sat in the bleachers since '93. I'm curious to see if it is still the dump I remember it to be, or worse.

My g/f had to do some major league sucking up to get me to go, and she's afraid I'm going to embarrass her or get into it with Cubs fans. I had to remind her that us Sox fans don't embarrass ourselves in opposing teams' parks.

On a side note, I noticed that the ticket price is like $28.50. Who the hell would pay that?

antitwins13
09-19-2005, 01:26 PM

Exactly!!! and you know what happens to Flub fans in the bleachers at the Cell.:angry: :angry: You don't want that to happen to you at The Urinal

kittle42
09-19-2005, 02:05 PM
Exactly!!! and you know what happens to Flub fans in the bleachers at the Cell.:angry: :angry: You don't want that to happen to you at The Urinal

What happens to Cub fans in the bleachers at the Cell on occasion is unfortunate.

I have never been faced with similar treatment in the Urinal bleachers except:

1. During Cubs/Sox games

2. The day after the Corky incident sitting in the front row of the RF bleachers

Of course, this is because I usually sit in front, and everyone behind me has their backs to the game, so no one knows what I'm doing anyway.

Deuce
09-19-2005, 02:43 PM
My advice is that you take a bullet-proof vest for walking around outside the park and some galoshes for walking around inside the park.

Deuce