PDA

View Full Version : What? No photos of Ligue?

Ol' No. 2
09-14-2005, 10:06 AM
With the White Sox playing the Royals, what better time to check in on Tom Gamboa, the former Kansas City coach who was attacked at a 2002 game at U.S. Cellular Field.What better time, indeed.

Linky (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-0509140315sep14,1,464523.story?coll=cs-whitesox-headlines)

Baby Fisk
09-14-2005, 10:11 AM
Wow, just wow. :rolleyes:

SoxFan78
09-14-2005, 10:17 AM
I must of missed the story the Trib had with the Dodger pitcher that had his hat stolen in Wrigley when the Dodgers were playing the Cubs this year.

cheeses_h_rice
09-14-2005, 10:18 AM
So they can cover up a murder outside their ballpark, but seemingly can't get enough of an attack that occurred 3 ****ing years ago on the other side of town.

Guess there weren't any giant snails to report on today.

:giantsnail:

cheeses_h_rice
09-14-2005, 10:22 AM
I'm confident the Cubune will publish a follow-up in May, 2006 of the family of the man who was murdered after attending a Flubs game, to coincide with the second anniversary of the shooting.

After all, what "better time" to revisit it?

Fenway
09-14-2005, 10:25 AM
What makes the story and timing even stranger?

The White Sox are IN Kansas City :?:

Ol' No. 2
09-14-2005, 10:27 AM

The White Sox are IN Kansas City :?:Don't worry. I'm sure we'll get ANOTHER update the next time one of the editors hears the song "Kansas City" on the radio.

Baby Fisk
09-14-2005, 10:30 AM
Don't worry. I'm sure we'll get ANOTHER update the next time one of the editors hears the song "Kansas City" on the radio.
...with an interview with the security team that was there that night when the Ligue Championship Series start.

cheeses_h_rice
09-14-2005, 10:34 AM

The ONLY possible reason I could see for this being timed to come out now is that the Ligue attack happened in September of '02, so it's been almost exactly 3 years.

But I'm sure the Cubune beat reporters are busy tracking down Randy Myers (attacked by drunken fan after giving up a home run), the family of Frank Hernandez (shot dead outside the park last May), various Dodgers players involved in the hat skirmish, etc. on their respective anniversaries of troubles at the Urinal.

mdep524
09-14-2005, 10:36 AM
Yeah, I was wondering, when will we see a "what better time to check in on" the guy who was shot on Clark St. right outside Wrigley Field after a senseless traffic dispute? "Murder outside Wrigley." That sounds like it deserves checking in on.

Or "what better time to check in on" the people who had chunks of concrete fall dangerously close to them during Cubs games last summer? Maybe a investigative report into how those chunks could have permanently injured an unwarned fan in the seats, and how the Cubs brass knew about it and allowed it to happen?

And what, no investigative reports about "Wrigley Field Premium Ticket Services"? You remember that of course- the sleazy set up the Cubs/Trib used to scalp their own tickets without ever offering them to the public at face value first. That got surprisingly little coverage, "what better time to check in" on it than now?

This paper seriously gets worse everyday. They should be thoroughly embarrassed as journalists.

skobabe8
09-14-2005, 10:38 AM
They will do anything to keep that story alive.

cheeses_h_rice
09-14-2005, 10:47 AM
Let's all keep our eyes open for the "what better time to check up on" Steve Bartman story in the Cubune's October 14 edition. After all, it is the two-year anniversary of THE most infamous play in all of Flubs' history.

I'm sure it'll be spectacular.

miker
09-14-2005, 10:47 AM
Expecting the Cubune to let this story go away is kind of like expecting a neo-Nazi website to say nice things about Jews.

Can somebody tell me how in the world I can respect the media when they continue to bait us with trash like this?

skobabe8
09-14-2005, 10:50 AM
Expecting the Cubune to let this story go away is kind of like expecting a neo-Nazi website to say nice things about Jews.

Can somebody tell me how in the world I can respect the media when they continue to bait us with trash like this?

You can't--and no one around here expects you to. :cool:

miker
09-14-2005, 11:22 AM
You can't--and no one around here expects you to. :cool:
You're right! That question is absolutely rhetorical.

Jjav829
09-14-2005, 11:31 AM

And that sets up tomorrow's story perfectly.

"With the seats at U.S. Cellular Field empty, what better time to check in on White Sox attendance..."

voodoochile
09-14-2005, 11:47 AM
I'm confident the Cubune will publish a follow-up in May, 2006 of the family of the man who was murdered after attending a Flubs game, to coincide with the second anniversary of the shooting.

After all, what "better time" to revisit it?

I think they should wait until the flubbies are in a playoff hunt and then do it.:rolleyes:

chitownhawkfan
09-14-2005, 11:54 AM
This is absurd! Yesterday they bash on us in the middle of a ridiculous Cubs article about attendance. Today they bring this trash up. How can these people consider themselves legitimate journalists.

:knue:
This is an important story that needs to be addressed, bias, what bias?

mdep524
09-14-2005, 12:00 PM
This is absurd! Yesterday they bash on us in the middle of a ridiculous Cubs article about attendance. Today they bring this trash up. How can these people consider themselves legitimate journalists.

:knue:
This is an important story that needs to be addressed, bias, what bias?

:knue
Bias? You mean Dybas? Good idea, we'll get some coverage of that for tomorrow.

TommyJohn
09-14-2005, 12:16 PM
Bias? You mean Dybas? Good idea, we'll get some coverage of that for tomorrow.

:rolling:

antitwins13
09-14-2005, 12:24 PM
I'm speechless

Fenway
09-14-2005, 12:34 PM
Whenever the Boston Globe does a story on the Red Sox management they always disclose they own 17% of the team

Well the NY Times owns 17% and the Globe and Red Sox are simply non related divisions they say :?:

Amazed the times hasn't opened Fenway Premium Tickets.

maurice
09-14-2005, 12:37 PM
"No, see, Gamboa was attacked in the Cell, so anything that happens for the rest of his life is relevant Sox-related news. If he dies in the year 2063, we'll have a full-page spread in the sports section recounting the life and times of this extremely important victim of Sox fans. By contrast, Kreuter, Myers, Bartman, the Wrigleyville murder victim, etc. were not attacked in the Cell, so any follow up coverage would be irrelevant. See? We're applying exactly the same "in the Cell" standard for both teams, so there's no bias!"

Fenway
09-14-2005, 12:44 PM
"No, see, Gamboa was attacked in the Cell, so anything that happens for the rest of his life is relevant Sox-related news. If he dies in the year 2063, we'll have a full-page spread in the sports section recounting the life and times of this extremely important victim of Sox fans. By contrast, Kreuter, Myers, Bartman, the Wrigleyville murder victim, etc. were not attacked in the Cell, so any follow up coverage would be irrelevant. See? We're applying exactly the same "in the Cell" standard for both teams, so there's no bias!"

you would be amazed at how many people judge Chicago as a bad place because it is where Springer gets taped ( they forget about that show taped on W Washington )

miker
09-14-2005, 12:55 PM
you would be amazed at how many people judge Chicago as a bad place because it is where Springer gets taped ( they forget about that show taped on W Washington )
Except for the Michael Jordan years and the nonsense known as the Cubs, many outsiders associate Chicago with Al Capone.

Fenway
09-14-2005, 12:59 PM
Except for the Michael Jordan years and the nonsense known as the Cubs, many outsiders associate Chicago with Al Capone.

Opening of his vault was one of TV's great moments :D:

maurice
09-14-2005, 02:07 PM
you would be amazed at how many people judge Chicago as a bad place because it is where Springer gets taped

That's bizarre. Springer himself is from Cincy, and he flies his guests in from all over the country. Do they think that Travolta and Cruise live in Chicago because Oprah is filmed here?!?

mr_genius
09-14-2005, 02:12 PM
I never buy or read the Cubbune, so I'm going to pretend this article was never printed (don't want to anger up the blood).