PDA

View Full Version : TV channel for Saturday's game?

nug0hs
09-14-2005, 01:39 AM
As of 1:36am Eastern on Wednesday the schedule on the team's website says there is no tv broadcast of the game on Saturday for us. Luckilly for me I am out of the state and have MLB.tv so it won't affect me, but I certainly don't want all of you in Chicagoland area to miss out! Any updates or ideas why this is happening? I realize that a few games a year are not televised, but why?

TheOldRoman
09-14-2005, 01:45 AM
Fox has the rights to any saturday morning/early afternoon games. All games that they dont pick up in that timespan will be blacked out.

This game is so early because the University of Minnesota plays a football game there on Sat, and they wanted to schedule enough time for the game and possible extra innings to get finished. Remember last year, the Twins were humiliated when they had to stop an extra inning game and resume it the next day so they could get the field changed in time for a Gophers game.

And I'm sure you are asking, what game is more important than the Sox and the Twins? The Cubs are playing a pivitol series against the Cardinals, who will have clinched the division by then.

UofCSoxFan
09-14-2005, 01:54 AM
For those asking why a mlb game would be bumped for a college football game....when the metrodome was built using public funds, it was agreed upon in a legal contract, that the University of Minnesota would have priority over both the Twins and Vikings. Sad. But true.

ilsox7
09-14-2005, 01:58 AM
For those asking why a mlb game would be bumped for a college football game....when the metrodome was built using public funds, it was agreed upon in a legal contract, that the University of Minnesota would have priority over both the Twins and Vikings. Sad. But true.

I don't think it's sad at all. The stadium was built for public money so I see no problem with the public state university having dibs. What is sad is that the Twins get a home game scheduled then.

ChiWhiteSox1337
09-14-2005, 02:04 AM
It's not that bad of a thing, in my opinion. It gives everyone an opportunity to listen to the great John Rooney while he's still under contract....:whiner:

peeonwrigley
09-14-2005, 02:06 AM

I know MLB doesn't like to schedule double headers ahead of time, but I think these Twinkie Dome conflicts would be an ideal time to play two on Friday or Sunday.

Otherwise, sorry Twins, but no weekend home series when the Gophers play. Big Ten conference teams finalize football schedules at least 1 FULL year in advance. MLB could handle this issue SO much better.

Oh, the Twins have to schedule around the Vikings, too? Deal with it. Pack your bags and enjoy a late season on the road.

I realize this for the most part becomes moot once the Gophers get their new stadium... its just so damn frustrating.

TheOldRoman
09-14-2005, 02:07 AM
I realize this for the most part becomes moot once the Gophers get their new stadium... its just so damn frustrating.
We are gonna have to ask Nellie on this, but I dont think the Gophers are even close to getting a new stadium. They will get one before the Vikings do, but I dont think they are close.

PaleHosed
09-14-2005, 02:08 AM
Is MLB.tv even carrying it? Don't they usually just broadcast one of the tv channels feeds that is covering it? So if no one is covering it where is MLB.tv getting its feed from?

TheOldRoman
09-14-2005, 02:11 AM
Is MLB.tv even carrying it? Don't they usually just broadcast one of the tv channels feeds that is covering it? So if no one is covering it where is MLB.tv getting its feed from?
They aren't carrying it. It will be exclusively on the radio in both Chicago and Minn.

MUsoxfan
09-14-2005, 02:14 AM
They aren't carrying it. It will be exclusively on the radio in both Chicago and Minn.

That sucks. And it's really an important game

peeonwrigley
09-14-2005, 02:23 AM
We are gonna have to ask Nellie on this, but I dont think the Gophers are even close to getting a new stadium. They will get one before the Vikings do, but I dont think they are close.

You're right... I saw some renderings and a couple articles about it last spring maybe and assumed it was a done deal.

http://www1.umn.edu/stadium/

Law11
09-14-2005, 09:27 AM
www.foxchicago.com/contact/sports.shtml

Saw this link floating around. I emailed Fox to let them know the Sox
should be the game they need to carry Saturday.

Hangar18
09-14-2005, 09:46 AM
This would never happen if it were that other team .........

D. TODD
09-14-2005, 09:50 AM
It's not that bad of a thing, in my opinion. It gives everyone an opportunity to listen to the great John Rooney while he's still under contract....:whiner: And the sub-par Ed Farmer

BeviBall!
09-14-2005, 10:08 AM
Well, it is El Duque v. Santana...

I want Mags back
09-14-2005, 10:15 AM
I dont see why FOX and MLB thinks ratings for the FOX game will go up by blacking out ours. I wont be watching it. Ill listen to our game and have college ftball on mute

anewman35
09-14-2005, 10:35 AM
I dont see why FOX and MLB thinks ratings for the FOX game will go up by blacking out ours. I wont be watching it. Ill listen to our game and have college ftball on mute

It's not as if Fox and MLB specifically decided to screw us over. They have a policy, they are following it. I mean, I agree that it's annoying to have a non-televised game, but a lot of teams have large portions of their schedule non-televised. I think we can deal.

Fenway
09-14-2005, 10:35 AM

believe it or not mlb.tv will use the scoreboard cameras if need be. They have done that in the past

jdm2662
09-14-2005, 10:39 AM
The NBA has the same policy, and the Bulls were affected by it last season. It sucks, but what can you do?

kobo
09-14-2005, 11:31 AM
Our game is also starting at 11 am, which I think has something to do with it as well. This isn't Fox deciding to not air our game, I believe there is a rule that Fox cannot air a gme on Saturday until after 12:00 cst. That is what I have been led to believe at least.

Foulke You
09-14-2005, 11:54 AM
I really, really, hope the Twins get out of that dump of a stadium. The fact that a major league baseball team has to play 3rd fiddle with a college and professional football team in a crappy indoor air bubble is sad. Not to mention the fact, it would be nice to never again see a hit off the "baggy" or a "turf hit". However, the sales tax that would fund a portion of the new outdoor park has yet to be approved and is currently stalled in legislature:

http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050714&content_id=1130735&vkey=news_min&fext=.jsp&c_id=min

jdm2662
09-14-2005, 12:15 PM
I really, really, hope the Twins get out of that dump of a stadium. The fact that a major league baseball team has to play 3rd fiddle with a college and professional football team in a crappy indoor air bubble is sad. Not to mention the fact, it would be nice to never again see a hit off the "baggy" or a "turf hit". However, the sales tax that would fund a portion of the new outdoor park has yet to be approved and is currently stalled in legislature:

http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050714&content_id=1130735&vkey=news_min&fext=.jsp&c_id=min

Carl Pohland is despised in Minnesota as much or more than the Old Drunken Bastard is here. The city or state is not going to gave them another publically financed stadium. His only chance is if St. Paul gives in, which they haven't. He's got more money than Steinbrenner has, and has been pretty much been told you want a stadium, build it yourself.

Foulke You
09-14-2005, 12:59 PM
Carl Pohland is despised in Minnesota as much or more than the Old Drunken Bastard is here. The city or state is not going to gave them another publically financed stadium. His only chance is if St. Paul gives in, which they haven't. He's got more money than Steinbrenner has, and has been pretty much been told you want a stadium, build it yourself.
Well, the Twins (Pohlad) have agreed to contribute $125 million to the $300 million stadium. While I agree that he has enough to build it all himself, it is a whole lot more than some owners are willing to contribute to build a stadium. *cough* Reindsorf *cough*

TDog
09-14-2005, 02:13 PM

It is immoral for a public university to award athletic scholarships. A city placing college football as a priority over the local professional baseball team should lose its baseball franchise.

I suggest contracting the Twins. ASAP.

TheOldRoman
09-14-2005, 07:14 PM
It's not as if Fox and MLB specifically decided to screw us over. They have a policy, they are following it. I mean, I agree that it's annoying to have a non-televised game, but a lot of teams have large portions of their schedule non-televised. I think we can deal.
I agree, it's their blackout policy, it is not like they are doing it to screw us over.
However, as Hangar said, if the shoe was on the other foot, the game would be televised.

The Cubs are all but eliminated, and will be playing a meaningless game against a Cardinals team that will have already clinched its division.
The Sox are headed towards the playoffs, and will be playing a division foe and wildcard contender.

If the Cubs were playing a meaningful game against the Cards, and were close in the standings, you could bet your life Fox would pick that game up. They would either ask the Sox to move their game, or not televise it at all. Fox has the power to pick up this game, and they probably would if they hadn't already scheduled the Cubs that day. However, since it America's Team, the Sox fans will have to suffer. That would have never happened to the Cubs.

SouthSide_HitMen
09-14-2005, 07:49 PM

Jerry Lundegaard - How ya doin', Wade?

Wade Gustafson - Yah, pretty good.

Jerry Lundegaard - Whatcha watchin' there?

Wade Gustafson - Gophers

Jerry Lundegaard - Who they playin'?

Wade Gustafson - OOOoooh!

brewcrew/chisox
09-14-2005, 09:32 PM
believe it or not mlb.tv will use the scoreboard cameras if need be. They have done that in the past

Yeah, I got to watch a Brewer game that way. They feed in the radio announcers so I got to watch the game while listening to Uecker. Very cool :cool:

BeviBall!
09-15-2005, 09:12 AM
Still a chance for TV?

"But the Sox still could be seen on either WGN-Ch. 9 or
Comcast SportsNet. Fox officials declined to comment,
but according to sources, Major League Baseball would
have to approve a Sox outlet televising the game in
Fox's exclusive window.

Further discussion of the matter is likely.
Considering what's at stake for the Sox, their fans
should be able to see all the games, especially one at
Minnesota."

Buddy emailed this article to me... no idea the source.

SaltyPretzel
09-15-2005, 09:28 AM
Still a chance for TV?

Buddy emailed this article to me... no idea the source.

Here you go:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-050914sherman,1,6625155.column?coll=cs-home-utility

HotelWhiteSox
09-17-2005, 12:16 PM
FYI - The game is on MLBTV

BeviBall!
09-17-2005, 12:20 PM
If you were watching you would've seen Johan K the side. Long day ahead, I'm afraid.

Unregistered
09-17-2005, 12:31 PM
If you were watching you would've seen Johan K the side. Long day ahead, I'm afraid.
Long first inning for Duque (25) pitches, but he looks sharp. Just got the inning ending double play.

Top 2nd, 0-0

lumpyspun
09-17-2005, 12:36 PM
I just tried to get the game on mlb.tv with no luck...its on audio, but I can't get it on tv...am i doing something wrong?

whitesoxfan
09-17-2005, 12:39 PM
I just tried to get the game on mlb.tv with no luck...its on audio, but I can't get it on tv...am i doing something wrong?

if you've read the thread, you would see that there's no TV for either feed.

lumpyspun
09-17-2005, 12:43 PM
FYI - The game is on MLBTV

Then what does this mean????

Other people on here are saying the game is on mlb.tv

HotelWhiteSox
09-17-2005, 12:45 PM
Then what does this mean????

Other people on here are saying the game is on mlb.tv

Yeah, I'm getting it, it's the Twins radio team, and no graphics, but the video is there, probably scoreboard cameras like Fenway said.

whitesoxfan
09-17-2005, 12:47 PM
El Duque at 49 pitches through 2.