PDA

View Full Version : Indians would host tiebreaker

Fenway
09-13-2005, 09:52 AM
Unlikely to happen but the White Sox lost the coin flip with the Indians yesterday to host the playoff game

Wonder why they didn't include Chicago in a wild card coin flip, if they went to the bother of one for the division.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20050912&content_id=1206791&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

the Indians were the big winners Monday -- when MLB establishes scenarios for one-game playoffs in the event of ties at the end of the regular-season schedule.

Another significant decision went the way of the New York Yankees, who, in the event they tie Boston for the American League East title, would host the Red Sox in the one-game tiebreaker. The two teams will wrap up the schedule with a three-game series in Fenway Park and, if needed, commute to the Bronx for the next day's playoff.

The Yankees would also be the home team to the A's if the teams tie for the AL Wild Card.

MLB determines playoff sites through a series of coin flips. They must have been flipping an Indian-head nickel, because Jacobs Field would host any playoff game involving the Tribe. If the AL Central race ends in a tie, the Indians would host the White Sox. The same would go for a Wild Card tie between the Indians and either the Yankees or the Oakland A's.

With match races forming in each of the three AL divisions, MLB had to also account for possible tiebreakers to determine champions.

In addition to the Yankees hosting the Red Sox and the Indians hosting the White Sox, a tie atop the AL West between Los Angeles and Oakland would be resolved in Angel Stadium of Anaheim.

In the event three clubs finish the season with the same winning percentage in either league, with one of them a division winner and another the Wild Card, the two teams tied for the division lead would play the one-game tiebreaker. The winner would be declared the division champion, and the losing team would engage the club from the other division for the Wild Card.

OG4LIFE
09-13-2005, 10:00 AM
this seem really dumb to anybody? why not just use head to head matchups?

Paulwny
09-13-2005, 10:04 AM
this seem really dumb to anybody? why not just use head to head matchups?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, tv revenue, attendance at the game, etc, etc
MLB loves a tie at the end of the season.

jdm2662
09-13-2005, 10:13 AM
What's wrong with breaking a tie on the field? I see no problem with it. If you can't win such game, you don't deserve to go to the playoffs.

OG4LIFE
09-13-2005, 10:21 AM
i guess i needed to clarify what i wrote- i meant using head to head matchups to determine who would get the home field in the event of a tie for a playoff, instead of a coin flip to determine home field. im all for a 1 game playoff, i just figured to reward the team that had the better go of it during the regular season.

Fenway
09-13-2005, 10:27 AM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, tv revenue, attendance at the game, etc, etc
MLB loves a tie at the end of the season.

A Boston/Yankees one game playoff would blow Monday Night Footballs ratings to hell because you know MLB would put it in prime time.

Paulwny
09-13-2005, 10:33 AM
i guess i needed to clarify what i wrote- i meant using head to head matchups to determine who would get the home field in the event of a tie for a playoff, instead of a coin flip to determine home field. im all for a 1 game playoff, i just figured to reward the team that had the better go of it during the regular season.

Sorry I misunderstood.
Actually if a tie occurs,highly unkikely, the tribe is only a few games above .500 at home. Losing the coin toss may have been a good thing since the sox play very good on the road.

jdm2662
09-13-2005, 10:35 AM

Ah ok, now that makes more sense. Yeah, head-to-head for home field would be a better option. I'd have to agree with that.

Fungo
09-13-2005, 10:43 AM
Tiebreaker? This is a non-issue. Close the thread.

kevingrt
09-13-2005, 02:43 PM
All I can say is I hope it doesn't come down to this.

TheOldRoman
09-13-2005, 03:06 PM
Indians have the homefield against us?
Good thing they will be eliminated (from the division race) within the next two weeks.

oeo
09-13-2005, 03:38 PM
What's wrong with breaking a tie on the field? I see no problem with it. If you can't win such game, you don't deserve to go to the playoffs.

Why? I don't think one game should not decide your fate. I might be in the minority but I don't believe the whole season should come down to that ONE game, if you lose, you're out of the playoffs; no matter the great season you had.

FielderJones
09-13-2005, 03:42 PM
Why? I don't think one game should not decide your fate. I might be in the minority but I don't believe the whole season should come down to that ONE game, if you lose, you're out of the playoffs; no matter the great season you had.

1 game didn't decide your fate. 163 did.

SOXintheBURGH
09-13-2005, 03:47 PM
1 game didn't decide your fate. 163 did.

It happened to the Twins in Little Big League! :dtroll:

Griffey robbed a homer. Best part of that movie was that the Sox were "the bad guys."

Roof Shot
09-13-2005, 05:18 PM
I'm probably going to get roasted for this, but I sent an e-mail to Tom Singer at MLB to ask what would happen if the Tribe somehow won the division and the Sox ending in a tie for the wild card. Here is his response...

Although Monday's coin flips did not directly address that possibility, the
implication is that any tie between the Hose and the Tribe would also be a
tie for the division title. In which case, the playoff would be in Cleveland
with the winner getting the flag and the loser the Wild Card.

Should the Indians rally for the division title, and the Sox tie another
team for the Wild Card ... frankly, they'd have to flip some new coins.

ts