PDA

View Full Version : Delmon Young - classic quotes

Jjav829
09-13-2005, 12:45 AM
The 19-year-old brother of Detroit's Dmitri Young (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/5699/) was selected Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year after splitting time this season between Double-A Montgomery and Triple-A Durham.

Asked why he felt he was not called up, Young replied: ``The only thing I can think of is they're being cheap.''

``When it comes to free agency, no use trying to stay around there for the long haul,'' he said. ``Get your six years and leave.''

:roflmao: :roflmao:

Oh man, classic Devil Rays stuff. Is there any other franchise where prospects are counting the days until free agency before they are even called up? What a miserable franchise. But hey, at least they have the brilliance of Chuck LaMar leading the way.

I just hope he doesn't claim to have been mis-quoted or taken out of context. Just stand by those statements.

Link (http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-devilrays-young&prov=ap&type=lgns)

SoxFanTillDeath
09-13-2005, 09:13 AM
It's so true and so pathetic. That franchise has no one but themselves to blame for their horridness (new word as of right now). How many prospects could they have gotten in the past few years for players like Huff, Lugo, Crawford, Baez, etc...

Contraction, anyone? I have a friend who vacations there every year and he said that he's never been there where they have even come close to selling out, even during the McGriff "era". Contract them and give the Sox Cantu and Rocco (Baldelli?)... I don't want to be too greedy!

Stroker Ace
09-13-2005, 01:15 PM
Usuallt, when an athlete says something like this, he looks like the dumb one. In this case, it's all on the D-Rays. You know that your franchise is pathetic when a player who hasn't even played in the majors can't wait to leave.

Randar68
09-13-2005, 01:20 PM
Usuallt, when an athlete says something like this, he looks like the dumb one. In this case, it's all on the D-Rays. You know that your franchise is pathetic when a player who hasn't even played in the majors can't wait to leave.

Umm, has anyone cared to llok up Delmon's numbers? He had a great year in AA and his peripherals were nice, but, his K:BB's were embarassing. He'd get eaten for lunch in the bigs. It could be argued that the experience is more important than the results, but nonetheless, it's not like he has nothing left to work on...

Iwritecode
09-13-2005, 01:32 PM
Umm, has anyone cared to llok up Delmon's numbers? He had a great year in AA and his peripherals were nice, but, his K:BB's were embarassing. He'd get eaten for lunch in the bigs. It could be argued that the experience is more important than the results, but nonetheless, it's not like he has nothing left to work on...

So in other words he'd fit right in with the big league club?

:)

Randar68
09-13-2005, 01:49 PM
So in other words he'd fit right in with the big league club?

Well, that's a good point, LOL. Seriously, though, I'm not defending the Rays or Delmon. Those are some pretty strong words from him and I'd be upset about that if I were the Rays, but he's 19 and feels disrespected or whatever...

veeter
09-13-2005, 02:35 PM
As of right now I hope Delmon Young ends up sucking.

LuvSox
09-13-2005, 03:02 PM
As of right now I hope Delmon Young ends up sucking.

Not to worry, at least if genetics has anything to say about it. :D:

PAPChiSox729
09-13-2005, 06:08 PM
Not to worry, at least if genetics has anything to say about it. :D:

:thumbsup:

But wait, it is still going to come down to the Tigers and the Indians, right?

Jjav829
09-13-2005, 06:14 PM

Obviously true, but 20-25 at-bats in the majors over the rest of the season isn't going to kill the guy. It will give him an idea on what he needs to work on and if anything, it might wake him up to the fact that he needs to become more selective to succeed in the majors. I don't see why the Devil Rays wouldn't call him up at all. Then again, they are the Devil Rays.