PDA

View Full Version : Could they really be that stupid?

Lip Man 1
09-12-2005, 10:34 PM
Ed Sherman's media column tonight:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050912sherman,1,7808265.column?coll=cs-home-headlines

Gag me with a friggin' spoon. This would be the height of stupidity on the part of the organization.

Lip

minastirith67
09-12-2005, 10:40 PM
I would put up with Hawk and DJ over Farmer and ....North!!! What a ****ing joke...leave it to the cubune to think this one up...wouldn't they love it.

This better be pure speculation.

DrCrawdad
09-12-2005, 10:40 PM
Ed Sherman's media column tonight:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050912sherman,1,7808265.column?coll=cs-home-headlines

Gag me with a friggin' spoon. This would be the height of stupidy on the part of the organization.

Lip

Unreal.

ChiWhiteSox1337
09-12-2005, 10:41 PM
Mike North? YUCK! However, I don't think Jeff Torborg would be that bad of an option. I thought he was actually good when he did some SOX games on FOX earlier in the season.

Brian26
09-12-2005, 10:45 PM
Blasphemy, seriously. Absolute ****ing blasphemy.

As for the short list in the column, I've always been a giant fan of Jeff Torborg, both as a manager and a broadcaster. Nobody can replace Rooney in the booth, but Torborg, in my opinion, would be a welcome addition.

That still doesn't solve the problem of Farmer doing PBP.

cheeses_h_rice
09-12-2005, 10:47 PM
Jesus.

If you did a straw poll of 100 posters on this site or Soxtalk, I imagine you'd have 99 against, and 1 for.

Who in their right freaking mind would want that know-nothing, blathering "fan" representing us?

Dear god, White Sox, PLEASE, I beg of you, DON'T EVEN CONSIDER HIRING MIKE NORTH.

Kogs35
09-12-2005, 10:48 PM
total gross. i hope brooks and co have more brains to hire some1 like torborg than the hotdog boy north.

ChiSoxGirl
09-12-2005, 10:50 PM
Jesus.

Dear god, White Sox, PLEASE, I beg of you, DON'T EVEN CONSIDER HIRING MIKE NORTH.

Amen!

kobo
09-12-2005, 10:51 PM
I would put up with Hawk and DJ over Farmer and ....North!!! What a ****ing joke...leave it to the cubune to think this one up...wouldn't they love it.

2 weeks ago a guy I work with brought this up and gave the same reasons as to why North could get the job that the article did. Scary. But North in that booth with Farmer is even scarier. I might be watching White Sox games in silence next season.

cheeses_h_rice
09-12-2005, 10:53 PM
:ass

D'yeah, didja see the way Dye swung through dat fat pitch?!? Dat's da ballgame. I tellya one ting, Jermaine better hope dere's not a burning cross left on his lawn when he gets home t'night, noam sane?

Lip Man 1
09-12-2005, 10:55 PM
Y'all may want to page the Sox Army and get them to start e-mailing Brooks with their opinions on this.

bboyer@chisox.com

Lip

chaerulez
09-12-2005, 11:50 PM
Honestly, I didn't even know he was a Sox fan until about a month ago, he talks about the Cubs so much it was really hard to figure that one out.

Optipessimism
09-12-2005, 11:53 PM

D'yeah, didja see the way Dye swung through dat fat pitch?!? Dat's da ballgame. I tellya one ting, Jermaine better hope dere's not a burning cross left on his lawn when he gets home t'night, noam sane?

ROFLMAO

North is such a ****ing joke.

Optipessimism
09-12-2005, 11:58 PM
Honestly, I didn't even know he was a Sox fan until about a month ago, he talks about the Cubs so much it was really hard to figure that one out.

I'd bet anything that North couldn't talk about one single Scott Podsednik AB without mentioning either Corey Patterson or the Flubs leadoff situation as a whole.

voodoochile
09-13-2005, 12:01 AM
Like it or not, they aren't going to make decisions on what diehard fans want. We are the captive audience. None of us are going to stop going to games or listnening to games or watching games because of who is on the radio. If they can get a popular person who will draw in casual fans (even those just looking to gawk at a train wreck) it will be better for the team long term.

North is popular and if he brings in people to listen to the game than revenue goes up. If some of those listeners decide to start spending their money at the park, revenue goes up even more.

I don't do radio, so I cannot comment on North's personality or style other than what I read about it here, but the man has some kind of a listener base and if that carries over to Sox games, they would be silly not to contemplate the possibility, IMO.

It's still a business after all...

kittle42
09-13-2005, 12:36 AM
You mean Brooks Boyer isn't listening to all my suggestions?

Mr. White Sox
09-13-2005, 12:44 AM
I've always been a huge fan of Jeff Torborg in the booth. Whenever he is on FOX doing a Sox game, he provides inside information that only he and a select few would know about past clubs, and he also does good situational analysis as well.

Jeff Torborg = :thumbsup:

IowaSox1971
09-13-2005, 01:39 AM
The obvious thing that should be done is to hire Steve Stone to team up with Hawk in the TV booth.

Then, we could either bump DJ to the radio booth or, better yet, get a professional announcer to team with Farmer.

Hiring Stone would give us a major PR victory over the Cubs. Plus, he's a great analyst. And because he was with the Sox in two different stints of his playing career, it's not like he has no familiarity with the South Side.

North would be a disaster, but because this organization usually finds a way to make PR blunders, he probably will be the choice.

paciorek1983
09-13-2005, 03:00 AM
I like Torborg, but, with the way the Score is, I could see them going with Kittle. Not that there's anything wrong with that, he's on my list.

Dan H
09-13-2005, 06:55 AM
There is no way I would ever listen to a Sox game if Mike North did color. It would not stop me from going to the park, but I would boycott all Sox radio broadcasts.

I refuse to listen to North in the morning. If the Sox would hire North, I would listen to the Score even less than now. The Sox can hire whomever they want. We fans can do what we want to as well.

bluestar
09-13-2005, 07:21 AM
Like it or not, they aren't going to make decisions on what diehard fans want.

This is very true, because if they made decision based on what diehard fans wanted, they would have worked out a deal with Rooney and avoided all this bs.

daveeym
09-13-2005, 07:41 AM
Aw man that article made me spill my beer in my cereal.

Chez
09-13-2005, 07:45 AM
Prediction: If North gets the job, Carl Everett or Freddy Garcia (or both) would beat the living crap out of him within a week of Opening Day. Which would be a good thing.

jdm2662
09-13-2005, 07:56 AM
2 weeks ago a guy I work with brought this up and gave the same reasons as to why North could get the job that the article did. Scary. But North in that booth with Farmer is even scarier. I might be watching White Sox games in silence next season.

Oh yeah? I heard that he's a really cool guy. :D:

It's bad enough that I have to suffer with Hawk and DJ. They don't need another embarassment in the booth.

JimH
09-13-2005, 08:11 AM
There is no way I would ever listen to a Sox game if Mike North did color. It would not stop me from going to the park, but I would boycott all Sox radio broadcasts.

I refuse to listen to North in the morning. If the Sox would hire North, I would listen to the Score even less than now. The Sox can hire whomever they want. We fans can do what we want to as well.

The White Sox aren't doing the hiring here, the Score is. The Sox have to sign off on the hire but they don't hold the cards.

SSN721
09-13-2005, 08:34 AM
This decision would be awful, but like it was stated before, they dont listen to diehard fans and the scary thing is North is enough of a buffoon that he might actually bring in people to hear how awful he is. What a great representation the Sox want to give to the casual listeners, having a guy like North representing Sox fans.

tstrike2000
09-13-2005, 08:41 AM
As it is, if I hear Mike North for more than 10 or 15 minutes it makes me want to paper cut my own eyeball. If he get's the job, a lot of us simply won't be listening to it. It's bad enough it's moving to The Snore.

voodoochile
09-13-2005, 08:49 AM
As it is, if I hear Mike North for more than 10 or 15 minutes it makes me want to paper cut my own eyeball. If he get's the job, a lot of us simply won't be listening to it. It's bad enough it's moving to The Snore.

I find it hard to believe that true fans of the team will simply stop listening if North is the announcer. If they do, they weren't truly fans to begin with, IMO.

If it's the only option you have you will take it.

Tekijawa
09-13-2005, 08:53 AM
Black Jack Mcdowell!!!

rainbow6
09-13-2005, 08:57 AM
I'll go on record as being the 1 out 100 here that would support this move- and not because I'm a Mike North fan. In fact, I've despised his show for a long time until recently - once you realize he doesn't take himself to seriously he becomes easier to stomach.

I know this isn't the prevailing opinion here but I can't stand Rooney - he's a slick professional with an excellent voice but he comes off (to me) as to generic and cold. Perfect for announcing the NCAA championship but not a local baseball team.

I look forward to a season without his armegeddon-like calls for any ball hit beyond the infield...

I don't know how North would pan out, but I wouldn't mind hearing a less-polished approach with geniune enthusiasm.

Luke

Fenway
09-13-2005, 09:11 AM
For the life of me I can not fathom who thinks it is a good idea for Farmer to be the #1 announcer....if this is indeed the case, the White Sox radio team will go from being the best in the AL to one of the worst.

TommyJohn
09-13-2005, 09:29 AM

DAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!! Ozzie ain't lookin' too good tanight! He looks drunkerer
dan me! Maybe we oughta send 'im a year supply of tacos and burritos ta keep
'im in good spirits! DAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!

:farmer

Actually, Mike, tacos and burritos aren't Venezuelan, they're Mexican. Speaking
of which, it reminds me of the time I went to Tiajuana with some of the guys.
We went to Mamasita's for dinner, then helped ourselves to the senoritas.
One of them said to me "people don't understand me when I speak English."
I said "I have the same problem."

Brian26
09-13-2005, 09:35 AM

Actually, Mike, tacos and burritos aren't Venezuelan, they're Mexican. Speaking
of which, it reminds me of the time I went to Tiajuana with some of the guys.
We went to Mamasita's for dinner, then helped ourselves to the senoritas.
One of them said to me "people don't understand me when I speak English."
I said "I have the same problem."

Which reminds me of a funny part of the radio broadcast on Sunday. It was early in the game, and I was listening in the car on the way to the store. Farmer was talking about riding the subway in New York after a game a few years ago with El Duque. Farmer said he spoke to him in Spanish and told him how he was tipping his pitches. Farmer said he didn't mind telling him since the Sox were done with the Yankees for the season. Anyway, Farmer went on and on and on about how he and Duque had a conversation in Spanish on the Subway. My wife said, "Like Duque even knows who Farmer is!" LOL.

fquaye149
09-13-2005, 09:37 AM
I find it hard to believe that true fans of the team will simply stop listening if North is the announcer. If they do, they weren't truly fans to begin with, IMO.

forgive.this.punctuation....but.my.spacebar.is.bro ken:

that's.a.heady.charge.to.make.VC:...let.me.put.thi s.question.to.you:

Would.you.listen.to.Sox.broadcasts.if.MARIOTTI.wer e.the.announcer?...

Especially.if.the.alternative.of.Hawk&DJ.were.available?...

And.if.you.didn't.would.that.mean.you.weren't.trul y.a.Sox.fan?

North.is.hardly.any.better.than.Mariotti.

(once.again.sorry.for.this.homage.to.Jeffisdaman)

Ol' No. 2
09-13-2005, 09:41 AM
forgive.this.punctuation....but.my.spacebar.is.bro ken:

that's.a.heady.charge.to.make.VC:...let.me.put.thi s.question.to.you:

Would.you.listen.to.Sox.broadcasts.if.MARIOTTI.wer e.the.announcer?...

Especially.if.the.alternative.of.Hawk&DJ.were.available?...

And.if.you.didn't.would.that.mean.you.weren't.trul y.a.Sox.fan?

North.is.hardly.any.better.than.Mariotti.

(once.again.sorry.for.this.homage.to.Jeffisdaman)L ots of people turn off the sound on the TV and turn on Rooney and Farmer when Hawk goes off into no-man's land (me included). North is completely unpalatable. Ratings will nosedive.

voodoochile
09-13-2005, 09:59 AM
Lots of people turn off the sound on the TV and turn on Rooney and Farmer when Hawk goes off into no-man's land (me included). North is completely unpalatable. Ratings will nosedive.

People in their cars or at work who have no access to TV will still listen. Most people who listen to the radio do it because they have no TV access to the game. Diehard fans won't give that up just because they hate North. In the end it makes no difference to the Sox if people are watching the game with the TV sound or the radio sound on, so long as they are watching the Sox.

Meanwhile, people who actually enjoy North (and like it or not there are a few) might come check out Sox broadcasts. That might actually lead to an increase in ratings even if a few stubborn diehards shut off the radio and watch the game in silence.

In reply to fquaye's question - I don't listen to the radio ever because of my hearing loss, so it is moot for me. Let me turn that around on you. Would you shut the radio broadcast of the Sox game off because the Moron was the announcer if you had no other way to follow the game?

BigEdWalsh
09-13-2005, 09:59 AM
The only thing worse than Farmer and North would be Fritzie and North.

I guarantee you if North got the job (gag!!), I would never listen, not one frickin' second.

SOXPHILE
09-13-2005, 10:03 AM
"As we start da third inning, hey, look who's here ! It's my pal Fritzy. Fritzy, I hear you and Knuckles had quite a night ! Tell us all about the D list celebrity you talked to...OOO ! There's strike 3 ta Rowand. Geesh.. dis guy stinks lately. So anyway Fritzy, how's our standing with the syndicate ? They're my guys ya know ! Did you meet any wiseguys ? They not as bad as people make them out to be, ya know ? OOOOOH ! A.J. just hit a homer ! Wow ! I've said all along, dis' Polish kid can really swing a stick. I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'......."

Ol' No. 2
09-13-2005, 10:07 AM
People in their cars or at work who have no access to TV will still listen. Most people who listen to the radio do it because they have no TV access to the game. Diehard fans won't give that up just because they hate North. In the end it makes no difference to the Sox if people are watching the game with the TV sound or the radio sound on, so long as they are watching the Sox.

Meanwhile, people who actually enjoy North (and like it or not there are a few) might come check out Sox broadcasts. That might actually lead to an increase in ratings even if a few stubborn diehards shut off the radio and watch the game in silence.

In reply to fquaye's question - I don't listen to the radio ever because of my hearing loss, so it is moot for me. Let me turn that around on you. Would you shut the radio broadcast of the Sox game off because the Moron was the announcer if you had no other way to follow the game?It's not that black and white. If someone's listening to a game and REALLY can't stand North, he might turn it off if the game's out of hand. Or perhaps he's working outside and listening to the game. If he gets fed up enough he'll go inside to watch rather than listening to North's nonsense. There are always pluses and minuses. I think the minuses will outweigh the pluses.

na_na_na_na
09-13-2005, 10:14 AM
If the sox hire this racist I will be very upset. Mike North is a tool.:angry:

voodoochile
09-13-2005, 10:15 AM
It's not that black and white. If someone's listening to a game and REALLY can't stand North, he might turn it off if the game's out of hand. Or perhaps he's working outside and listening to the game. If he gets fed up enough he'll go inside to watch rather than listening to North's nonsense. There are always pluses and minuses. I think the minuses will outweigh the pluses.

You may well be right. I would bet that if they hire North it would generate a LOT of media attention and probably bring a hefty group of followers to the broadcasts.

Like I said before, why would the Sox care if people are watching or listening? It's all the same to them. In fact since they make more money off of TV broadcasts, they will probably be happy if people turn off the radio and watch the TV instead. Hey, maybe that's what they are aiming for...:tongue:

hawkjt
09-13-2005, 10:20 AM
Oh now he is a big Sox fan,right. I remember a few years ago he was almost proud of the fact that he never attends a sox game. Even tho it would be free. He has not been out to sox park in years and he is a big fan?

This cannot be a serious option. Two horrible communicators trying to communicate to soxnation?

The Score could not draw up a better plan to sabotage their own broadcasts intentionally than firing Rooney and hiring North.

fquaye149
09-13-2005, 10:21 AM
In reply to fquaye's question - I don't listen to the radio ever because of my hearing loss, so it is moot for me. Let me turn that around on you. Would you shut the radio broadcast of the Sox game off because the Moron was the announcer if you had no other way to follow the game?

Of.course.not.

BUT

If.someone.were.to.forsake.the.radio.broadcast.in. favor.of.a.gamecast.online.I.would.certainly.under stand.why.they.did.it.

I.guess.my.point.is---while.caring.too.much.about.who.your.announcer.is. smacks.of.cub.fandom,.North.is.so.abrasive.and.str ident...

It's.like.being.a.liberal.and.having.disdain.for.M ichael.Moore...or.being.a.conservative.and.hating. Ann.Coulter---You.may.love.the.subject.but.not.be.able.to.bring. yourself.to.watch(listen).

cheeses_h_rice
09-13-2005, 10:29 AM

Dahhhhhhhhhhhhhh! And Igoochee hits inta a doubba play ta end da inning. I tellya, dese Chinese guys better step it up or dey'll find demselves digging dere own Ho Chi Minh Trail back to where dey done came from!! Seriously, dis team is barely holding onta da lead only coz of dat Mexican guy Contreras and good hitting by that Polack we got catchin'.

MushMouth
09-13-2005, 10:32 AM
North would be a NIGHTMARE to listen to

Good lord I hope they don't do this. I'd rather just have Farmio in there talking to himself all game.

TommyJohn
09-13-2005, 10:34 AM

DAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!! Da Outfit is a great buncha guys! Dey ain't so bad! At
least when dey kill, it's onny each udder! Dis one goes out ta Joe da Gyp,
Nick da Nose, Eddie Ears, Jimmy Joint, Pete da Pimp and Paulie Pigeons! Hey
guys! Dis is Mike da Peabrain, ya number one fan! Keep up da good work!
I love youse!

Up nex for da Sahhhhhhx, da second baseman, Hirohito Spaghetti. Hey,
Hirohito! Da Arizona still leaks oil at da bottom of Pearl Harbor! I ain't
never gonna forgive youse for dat! DDAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!

BigEdWalsh
09-13-2005, 10:38 AM
Of.course.not.

BUT

If.someone.were.to.forsake.the.radio.broadcast.in. favor.of.a.gamecast.online.I.would.certainly.under stand.why.they.did.it.

I.guess.my.point.is---while.caring.too.much.about.who.your.announcer.is. smacks.of.cub.fandom,.North.is.so.abrasive.and.str ident...

It's.like.being.a.liberal.and.having.disdain.for.M ichael.Moore...or.being.a.conservative.and.hating. Ann.Coulter---You.may.love.the.subject.but.not.be.able.to.bring. yourself.to.watch(listen).

You're exactly right. It's been suggested how could anyone who calls themself a White Sox fan actually refuse to listen to a game just because they don't like an announcer. Answer: Mike North. I hate that idiot so much that I absolutely would not listen. As much as I love the White Sox (and I do) I gave up listening to them on the radio anyway when I moved to Utah. It wasn't easy. I'll get in the car sometimes now and it's weird that I can't turn on a Sox game, but I'm getting used to it. Even if I were able to once again and that obnoxious moron were doing the game, no I would choose not to listen. That's how strong my hate for Mike North is. The White Sox would have to play without me listening.:rolleyes: That's the whole point, the game would go on anyway. I would still follow my Sox just as I always have, following the game via the internet or watching on TV or simply finding out how they did after the game, reading about it in a newspaper.

cheeses_h_rice
09-13-2005, 10:42 AM

I love youse!

I bow in your direction. You're the KingXerxes of Mike North impressionists.

TommyJohn
09-13-2005, 10:44 AM
I bow in your direction. You're the KingXerxes of Mike North impressionists.

Thanks, it was nothing, really. I always thought your Jay Mariotti parodies were
far better than mine.

TomBradley72
09-13-2005, 10:47 AM
North and Farmer (as play by play?) would move the WSox from one of the best radio teams in the majors to THE WORST. As far as radio goes....I'd invest in the XM package and I'd listen to the opposing team's broadcast. Farmer is barely adequate as Rooney's sidekick....he's "sub-DJ" as a play by play guy. North? A complete buffoon.

Too bad the White Sox couln't have stepped in and supplemented the Score's offer to Rooney to keep him in the family. What's an extra $100K or so when you're expanding your broadcast footprint so dramatically....and you have such a great asset in Rooney....stepping over dollars to save pennies...a Chicago sports tradition.

SOXPHILE
09-13-2005, 10:47 AM

I love youse!

Heh heh heh.....You win a dinner at Basta Pasta on me. Just go dare and tell da doorman, Tony, I sent you. Den, later, you can come back to watch all da games at PAPPY LAND !!!

likeawarlord
09-13-2005, 10:56 AM
Like it or not, they aren't going to make decisions on what diehard fans want. We are the captive audience. None of us are going to stop going to games or listnening to games or watching games because of who is on the radio.

i, for one, would stop listening entirely if north were the color man

Fenway
09-13-2005, 10:58 AM
North did the impossible

He lost in the ratings to a sports show with no local content ( ESPN )

The Score would be better off without him

harwar
09-13-2005, 11:04 AM
You're exactly right. It's been suggested how could anyone who calls themself a White Sox fan actually refuse to listen to a game just because they don't like an announcer. Answer: Mike North. I hate that idiot so much that I absolutely would not listen. As much as I love the White Sox (and I do) I gave up listening to them on the radio anyway when I moved to Utah. It wasn't easy. I'll get in the car sometimes now and it's weird that I can't turn on a Sox game, but I'm getting used to it. Even if I were able to once again and that obnoxious moron were doing the game, no I would choose not to listen. That's how strong my hate for Mike North is. The White Sox would have to play without me listening.:rolleyes: That's the whole point, the game would go on anyway. I would still follow my Sox just as I always have, following the game via the internet or watching on TV or simply finding out how they did after the game, reading about it in a newspaper.

I think if north gets the nod then XM radio may be the way to go.I would rather listen to anyone other than mike north.
I wonder how much of this is just the cub media yanking our collective chain once again.
Incidentally,i am looking to buy some land in an unspoiled mountainous region.
Utah seems like a good choice.Utah,NW U.S.,western Canada,& Norway are some of the places i'm really interested in.

duke of dorwood
09-13-2005, 11:04 AM
I refuse to turn that bum on at ANY time or event and that would unfortunatly include Sox games. I WOULD NOT LISTEN I WOULD NOT LISTEN I WOULD NOT LISTEN I WOULD NOT LISTEN I WOULD NOT LISTEN I WOULD NOT LISTEN I WOULD NOT LISTEN I WOULD NOT LISTEN I WOULD NOT LISTEN I WOULD NOT LISTEN and oh yes,

I WOULD NOT LISTEN

Dick Allen
09-13-2005, 11:05 AM
White Sox games would become unlistenable radio, just like the rest of the Score programming.

MushMouth
09-13-2005, 11:17 AM

I love youse!

hahahaha - BRAVO!

dannycater
09-13-2005, 11:24 AM
I can't really decide, what's worse....Mike North or Ed Farmer

Ed Farmer has to be one of the worst radio annoucers of any Sox era....it's impossible to tune in and catch up on a score without having to listen to inane story after inane story, which are totally pointless and meaningless...

Mike North and Ed Farmer....wow...that's a circus act

However, things wouldn't really change for me....the radio side of things is only important to me in the car, when I need to know what's going on....I usually just keep track of the score (if I can actually get a score between one of Ed's blabberings) and switch back and and forth anyway, between a CD and the Sox....

if it's a critical time in the game, I'll keep it tuned ....but that only happens about a half a dozen times a year, when I'm actually in the car and it's a tight ballgame...

My ideal radio team would be a color guy who is an ex-player and has a Chicago connection....like Bill Melton or Steve Stone....I honestly don't care who the play by play guy is as long as it's not Ed Farmer....

I remember in 2003 when the Cubs went far into the playoffs and all of a sudden Mike North was a big Cubs fan and hardly mentioned the Sox...so for him to say he is a die hard Sox fan is just a great big fat honk'in LIE.....

PatK
09-13-2005, 11:27 AM
White Sox games would become unlistenable radio, just like the rest of the Score programming.

The most correct statement on this thread.

I love the Sox, and until the last few years, never really listened on the radio.

I can't imagine next year without Rooney. He and Farmio are the best broadcast team in baseball HANDS DOWN!!!

Rooney may not be the best play-by-play man, and Farmio may not be the best color man, but with the two of them togther, the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

miker
09-13-2005, 11:30 AM
:(: I have survived: Don Kessinger's managing, Disco Demolition, watching Hawk as GM, New Comiskey, Albert Belle, the '94 strike, the White Flag and Terry Bevington.

But hiring Mike North as a broadcaster would seriously make me consider my allegiance to the this ball club.

Don't do it!

VenturaSoxFan23
09-13-2005, 11:32 AM

This makes me wish WIND was still the Spanish Sox affiliate. If you hated the announcers in English, you could always follow the game in Spanish and still know the basics of what's going on.

Risk
09-13-2005, 11:33 AM
Mike North is proof positive that almost any idiot can have a career in the sports blab radio industry. I would rather cut my ears off and carry them around on a necklace ala "Universal Soldier' than listen to Mike North. The guy has the IQ of a damn cow pie.:angry:

Risk

Lip Man 1
09-13-2005, 11:40 AM
Some good points have been brought up here but remember with the MLB audio package available. We don't automatically have to listen to Sox announcers to get your fill of Sox baseball do you?

For 15 bucks through my computer I could easily listen to every Sox game that season without ever having heard the 'home team' announcers. Would I prefer listening to them...sure, but it's not a deal breaker with me, as long as I can hear the game itself is all that really matters.

Just something for the organization to keep in mind.

And speaking of the organization, I've been in touch with someone this morning from it. The individual made some sage comments, particularly the one where it was stated that until or unless you hear a Sox official going on the record as saying that North is a possibility, then don't assume Ed Sherman's comments are anything more then trying to stir up a story.

I think the odds are very,very long that dumb moron will get within a city block of the Sox broadcasts.

Lip

24thStFan
09-13-2005, 11:40 AM
As far as radio goes....I'd invest in the XM package and I'd listen to the opposing team's broadcast..

I have XM (it's the only way I can listen to every Sox game since I live in Florida). The way XM works is you get the home team's radio broadcast. When the Sox are at home this year, I've been getting Rooney and Farmer. I've enjoyed them very much. They really are much better than many other announcers I've had to listen to this year.

Point is, if North is hired, you'll get him on XM when the Sox are home next year. I don't know North, so I'm not sure what I'll do next year. XM is my only way of listening to every game, so I guess I'm a captive audience.

LauraJ14
09-13-2005, 11:42 AM

If the only way for me to listen to the Sox was having to listen to North and Farmer, sorry but the radio is being turned off. Sorry but as a female fan, I can't stomach the SCORE or Mike North but since my demographic isn't important to them, it doesn't really matter what I think.

Lip Man 1
09-13-2005, 11:44 AM
Rainbow:

Just wondering...how long would it take for North to say something on air to get himself suspended, embarass the Sox and bring MLB down on them like a ton of bricks?

But hey that'll draw listeners too won't it?

Lip

Brian26
09-13-2005, 11:48 AM
Lip-

Point blank question for you:

Did Rooney want out to go to St. Louis, or did the Score force him out? If lobbying to get Mike North into the booth was part of their grand, master plan by screwing Rooney, then this is even more asinine.

dannycater
09-13-2005, 11:53 AM
:(: I have survived: Don Kessinger's managing, Disco Demolition, watching Hawk as GM, New Comiskey, Albert Belle, the '94 strike, the White Flag and Terry Bevington.

!

You forgot the bad "turn of the century" style uni's in the late 70's, early 80's and Jamiie Navarro...

34 Inch Stick
09-13-2005, 12:02 PM
I think this story was generated by the North camp. Like Lip intimated, I think the Sox would be willing to put him on a long list of candidates but never really consider him. Patbooyah's dad has also expressed an interest in the job. While I am a long time fan I don't think he would be given serious consideration either.

The thing that we should be most concerned about as Sox fans is the rumor going around that Jesse Rogers would be hosting pre and post. I would not be suprised if the SCORE was trying to beef up his baseball resume by letting him co host the Sunday morning baseball show. He has no real knowledge of the Sox, no particular knowledge about baseball and no apparent analytical ability. Yet this may be the man who handles the fan portion of the broadcast. This is the more real threat and the one we on which we should be focusing out attention.

NO JESSE!

Lip Man 1
09-13-2005, 12:05 PM
Brian:

Point blank answer for you. I don't know...exactly.

Someone with John Rooney's credibility and experience is worth something on the open market. He and his agent realized that and used it to try to leverage themselves with WSCR. For whatever reason or reasons WSCR said no. That is their right.

Ultimately John will get a position fairly soon after the season ends at a station that feels his value is more along the lines of what he and his agent think it is.

Ultimately WSCR will realize that when all is said and done and the ratings aren't what they want, which means they can't charge as much for advertising rates, they will regret their short-sightedness.

Good play by play guys are even a smaller commodity then MLB players themselves.

Lip

Frater Perdurabo
09-13-2005, 12:07 PM
The bottom line is that the bottom line will drive this decision: Score management will select whomever Score management believes will attract the most Arbitron ratings points for the least amount of money to pay the color analyst.

Therefore, there is but ONE three-step process for Sox fans who dislike North to torpedo this before it can become a reality:

1. Write letters, send e-mails and make phone calls to Score management en masse expressing how you will refuse to listen to Sox broadcasts with North in the booth (and will implore your friends, family and co-workers to do the same);

2. Write letters, send e-mails and make phone calls to Score advertisers en masse expressing how you will refuse to buy their products/services (and will implore your friends, family and co-workers to do the same) if they buy time during hours when Mike North is on the air.

3. Write letters, send e-mails and make phone calls to Score management en masse expressing that you have sent letters, e-mails and phone calls to their advertisers that express your refusal to buy their products/services (and will implore your friends, family and co-workers to do the same) if they buy time during hours when Mike North is on the air.

This only will work if many of us follow through.

I might suggest pairing this with a similar letter/e-mail phone campaign to demand the Score work out a deal with Rooney before he does sign with another network or team(s).

cheeses_h_rice
09-13-2005, 12:08 PM
I think this story was generated by the North camp. Like Lip intimated, I think the Sox would be willing to put him on a long list of candidates but never really consider him. Patbooyah's dad has also expressed an interest in the job. While I am a long time fan I don't think he would be given serious consideration either.

The thing that we should be most concerned about as Sox fans is the rumor going around that Jesse Rogers would be hosting pre and post. I would not be suprised if the SCORE was trying to beef up his baseball resume by letting him co host the Sunday morning baseball show. He has no real knowledge of the Sox, no particular knowledge about baseball and no apparent analytical ability. Yet this may be the man who handles the fan portion of the broadcast. This is the more real threat and the one we on which we should be focusing out attention.

NO JESSE!

Holy crap...Jesse Rogers AND Mike North?!?

It's like a Sox fan's dreams come true!!!

:chunks

jdm2662
09-13-2005, 12:10 PM
He has no real knowledge of the Sox, no particular knowledge about baseball and no apparent analytical ability.

The Score doesn't feel that stuff is important...

cheeses_h_rice
09-13-2005, 12:11 PM
2. Write letters, send e-mails and make phone calls to Score advertisers en masse expressing how you will refuse to buy their products/services (and will implore your friends, family and co-workers to do the same) if they buy time during hours when Mike North is on the air.

Dear Owners of Heavenly Bodies,

Please be forewarned that if WSCR hires Mike North as the White Sox color analyst, I will no longer be enjoying pool or darts in the company of Chicago's hottest women at your establishment. Yes, even if I am tired of the nagging, the cold shoulder, and the singles bars.

Sincerely,

Cheeses_H_Rice
Sox fan

:)

BigEdWalsh
09-13-2005, 12:12 PM

NO JESSE!
As far as Jessie goes, hellyeah, NO!!
By the way, who is Patbooyah's dad???

cheeses_h_rice
09-13-2005, 12:15 PM
As far as Jessie goes, hellyeah, NO!!
By the way, who is Patbooyah's dad???

Steve Dahl.

Frater Perdurabo
09-13-2005, 12:15 PM

Please be forewarned that if WSCR hires Mike North as the White Sox color analyst, I will no longer be enjoying pool or darts in the company of Chicago's hottest women at your establishment. Yes, even if I am tired of the nagging, the cold shoulder, and the singles bars.

Sincerely,

Cheeses_H_Rice
Sox fan

I know you meant to be funny, cheeses, but that's just what we need from about 10,000 different Sox radio broadcast listeners.

Brian26
09-13-2005, 12:17 PM

Sincerely,

Cheeses_H_Rice
Sox fan

Hahahaha. Nice work! :D:

Ol' No. 2
09-13-2005, 12:18 PM
I know you meant to be funny, cheeses, but that's just what we need from about 10,000 different Sox radio broadcast listeners.I dunno, Frater. I think he was serious.:wink:

Brian26
09-13-2005, 12:19 PM
I might suggest pairing this with a similar letter/e-mail phone campaign to demand the Score work out a deal with Rooney before he does sign with another network or team(s).

Honestly, this is what should happen. I've sent separate emails to Brooks and to Scott Reifert, and both guys seem to think it is out of their hands. Reifert told me to contact Mitch Rosen (his email addy is supposedly on the Score website).

Over By There
09-13-2005, 12:27 PM
One thing that's been hinted at here in this thread, but I see as a big issue is: North is, to put it nicely, politically incorrect. At best, you'd have to admit he tiptoes along the line of offensiveness. (At least that's my recollection - I haven't listened to his shows in years.)

Wouldn't this be a huge risk given the multi-cultural image that the Sox have been playing up? The Sox run ads touting our diversity (Latin and Asian players), and I think having North as an announcer would more than nullify any goodwill/pride built up by that ad campaign. I guess that schtick works for some people, and probably some Sox fans, but not this listener.

NardiWasHere
You guys are taking this a little far. North isnt my favorite, but he's not as horrible as you guys make him out to be. There were rumors before they hired DJ that North would be hired for that too. He wasn't. He wont be hired this time either. Besides, who would question their allegiance to a team due to the radio colorman? Put this in a little bit of perspective!

I love that Marconi Giardinera commercial he does, though! "I even put it on my shoes!"... HAHAHAHA

SOXPHILE

NO JESSE!

JESSE ROGERS !!!!??? Oh Dear Lord...

Radio's equivalent of Rain Man. This would be horrible for many reasons. 1.)The guy is a Cub fan. 2.)The guy is a Cub fan. 3.) The guy is a complete blithering, stammering idiot without a useful thought in his head. Hey, I have an idea ! Let's have Jesse Rogers and Mike Murphy do the pre and post game, with Mike North doing color commentary. Has anybody every listened to this guy for more than 10 or 15 minutes when he's on the air ? Brutal. It's pretty bad when your fellow Score employees refer to you as a dope, and an imbecile (see T [Diddly] Boers). I guess being Mike North's pool boy and car washer can pay off.

Brian26
09-13-2005, 12:29 PM
You guys are taking this a little far. North isnt my favorite, but he's not as horrible as you guys make him out to be. There were rumors before they hired DJ that North would be hired for that too. He wasn't. He wont be hired this time either. Besides, who would question their allegiance to a team due to the radio colorman? Put this in a little bit of perspective!

I love that Marconi Giardinera commercial he does, though! "I even put it on my shoes!"... HAHAHAHA

Thanks for the post, Bebe. :rolleyes:

BigEdWalsh
09-13-2005, 12:36 PM

I think you've misunderstood just a little bit . 1.) To many of us, yes, Mike North IS horrible. 2.) If we choose not to listen to a radio broadcast because that ignorant buffoon is a part of it, that does not weaken my allegiance to the White Sox. It simply means I won't listen to the White Sox broadcast. As it has been pointed out, one can listen to the other teams broadcast, watch on TV, watch or listen via the computer, or heck, even follow WSI gameday thread. It doesn't weaken my love for the Sox.

Ol' No. 2
09-13-2005, 12:38 PM
One thing that's been hinted at here in this thread, but I see as a big issue is: North is, to put it nicely, politically incorrect. At best, you'd have to admit he tiptoes along the line of offensiveness. (At least that's my recollection - I haven't listened to his shows in years.)

Wouldn't this be a huge risk given the multi-cultural image that the Sox have been playing up? The Sox run ads touting our diversity (Latin and Asian players), and I think having North as an announcer would more than nullify any goodwill/pride built up by that ad campaign. I guess that schtick works for some people, and probably some Sox fans, but not this listener.Bingo. I can understand why WSCR would want North. His being the color man on Sox broadcasts would boost the sagging ratings on his other show. But unless things have changed, the Sox get veto power, and there's no chance in hell Reinsdorf would agree to having North, for just the reasons you mentioned. They're trying to market to families and they hire Mike North? Uh-uh.

NardiWasHere
09-13-2005, 12:46 PM
It simply means I won't listen to the White Sox broadcast. As it has been pointed out, one can listen to the other teams broadcast, watch on TV, watch or listen via the computer, or heck, even follow WSI gameday thread. It doesn't weaken my love for the Sox.

Then I have no problem with what you are saying. I just think some people have the tendency to over-react a little bit. (i.e. this article and the vast media conspiracy). Its not like people didn't know North's name would come up in replacement talks. It was inevitable, but I'd be very suprised if they hired him. I don't think North's style would translate to the booth. If they end up hiring him, it'll be a dumb move, but no one forces anyone to listen.

ja1022
09-13-2005, 12:51 PM
No, they couldn't be that stupid. Reinsdorf may like North because, like him or not, North's tenacity has made him a wealthy man and Reinsdorf might admire that. So there may be the obligatory "interest", but my hunch is there is no way in hell he gets seriously considered.

tstrike2000
09-13-2005, 01:01 PM

I'm a diehard Sox fan, always have been, always will be. Just from a personal standpoint, I started listening to Mike North back in 1994. At least then he was annoying but entertaining. However, now with his even more over the top comments to combine with his slang, it can be just irritating to listen to, period. If I'm in the car, of course I'll check out what's going on and hope Farmer goes into one of his stories. But as soon as I get to a stopping point, Hawk and DJ the rest of the way. John Rooney is without question one of the finest radio announcers I've heard and the thought of replacing him with North I find insulting to the Sox and their fans...IMO.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-13-2005, 01:04 PM
Here's betting the North interview is strictly a courtesy by the Sox towards their new radio station, the very same people who forked over the most money of any radio station interested in broadcasting the Sox games.

WSCR probably knows North hasn't a snowball's chance in hell of landing the job, but the publicity of putting Mike's name out there as a candidate can't hurt his ratings on that pathetic morning show on the Snore. Of course the Cubune and Ed Sherman are all too willing to play along with the charade. Big surprise there. Snore management may be dumb, but they're not stupid.

Nothing will come of this except the inevitable and incessant on-air whining by North after somebody else gets the job. It's worth at least six month's worth of material on his lame radio show.

"And we all know why Darrin Jackson got the job over me, too!"

TommyJohn
09-13-2005, 01:18 PM
"And we all know why Darrin Jackson got the job over me, too!"

DAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!! What's a white man gotta do ta make it in dis
country? DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!

Missouri Sox Fan
09-13-2005, 01:21 PM
This is probably way late into the conversation...so I apologize. But somewhere around page 2 of this thread, someone said something like who would quit listening to their team because of who was in the booth. I'll tell you who. Those of us who cannot get games on the radio OR television...who have to pay MLB.com to listen to the games. That is the only way to follow the team. I like Farmer, and I can't imagine he'd put up with North in the booth.

rainbow6
09-13-2005, 01:34 PM
Lip,

On North's show this morning, he called out Beurhle as a 'bottom feeder' piling up wins against the leagues worst teams...he then quickly pointed out that he wouldn't be so crass (my word) if he got the Sox job.

Again, I'm not Mike North's number one fan - I just don't care for the the current radio team and anything to shake things up is fine by me. Like a previous poster stated, I listen only when in the car just getting a score out of thoses two is like pulling teeth.

Lastly, if the fans feel this strongly about North I refuse to believe they won't listen. As much as I don't care for Farmer, teaming him with North would be something DIFFERENT. It sounds like you're familiar with other teams radio crews via the MLB audio package; I've had the Extra Innings Package for a few years and I'm stunned how the majority of announcers sound like they are either asleep, auditioning for Sportscenter with their home run calls or are just plain dull.

I don't know what's more offensive - a play by play guy who may be 'over-the-top' with his comments and might go over the line, or a play by play guy (thinking Bob Brenley) who points out that a triple is the next best thing to a home run.

Luke
By the way, I'm rooting for Jack McDowell to ge the gig.

Fenway
09-13-2005, 01:37 PM
It could be worse they could make an offer to Ron Santo or Woo-Woo :cool:

peeonwrigley
09-13-2005, 01:53 PM
I can't believe how worked up people are getting over this. It is just Sherman pointing out that North has a couple of inherent items in his favor for landing the job.

He also has some inherent disadvantages, like a 4 hour show every morning (which is glossed over in the article). Is Pappy gonna do his "Undeniably Chicago" show from Arizona for 2 months? Is he going go on air at 4AM local time during west coast road trips? This is a guy who takes 35 vacation weeks a year... do you guys really think he would actually take the job when he realized what the commitment required. No way. There is a .0000001% chance of this happening.

Like another poster pointed out, the real item to fear right now is Jesse Rogers being in some way linked to the Sox broadcast.

cheeses_h_rice
09-13-2005, 02:00 PM
I think one name the Score should seriously consider for peripheral Sox reporting pre- and postgame is George Offman. Yes, I know he's a Cubs fan, but Offman's baseball beat reporting this season has been top-notch, and I've also enjoyed his work on the "Hit and Run" show he does with Jesse.

my5thbench
09-13-2005, 02:05 PM
I with ya'all in thinking that North would be a poor choice, although I don't
think he would be horrible, just not so good....however, when many of you
say that you won't listen I tend to disagree...as a die hard fan I feel that I
am required to listen when I can't watch.....

if there is a Sox game on:

& I'm in my car, I listen
if I play golf I take a radio to the course
when I was still working I took a radio to work
I have taken a radio to the beach, out on boats, you name it, if the Sox
are playing & I can't watch I am simply impelled to listen to the radio no
matter who is blabbering in my ears

kevingrt
09-13-2005, 02:32 PM
North would be the absolute worst choice for the Chicago White Sox and White Sox fans. If they do that I may die. I would live with Hawj and DJ then. I'm already pissed about the Sox moving to WSCR from WMVP. I'm already pissed that they (the Sox and WSCR) can't work out a contract with Rooney. If they hire Mike North I say we stage a strike against the radio booth, sorry Farmer. I'm so pissed about this situation right now, I might die if they hire North next to Farmer.

Sad
09-13-2005, 02:39 PM
JESSE ROGERS !!!!??? Oh Dear Lord...

I'm not listening to Rogers :angry: ... no way...
when that guy comes on the air, I immediately re-tune or turn OFF...

chitownhawkfan
09-13-2005, 02:47 PM
Personally I like North and wouldnt mind listening to him with Farmer, but I agree with other posters, IT WONT HAPPEN. I could see why it would, it would draw big ratings, and Uncle Jerry really likes him, but there is no way he could do it. It would require way to much work, that in addition to his radio show is unrealistic. My question, not to change the topic and hijack this thread, what is going to happen to Dolgin? I think he has done a terrific job and would love to see him back next year.

Medford Bobby
09-13-2005, 03:08 PM
:D: Heck, North could be alot of fun to listen to if he keeps telling the story of his Dad "loaded up with a quart of Shiltz and sitting around in his boxers with his shlong hanging out"...now that would be funny during a 3-2 count to Podsednik any night!!!:D:

:gulp: "14 and counting...........come on guys!!!"

TDog
09-13-2005, 03:14 PM
... Those of us who cannot get games on the radio OR television...who have to pay MLB.com to listen to the games. That is the only way to follow the team. I like Farmer, and I can't imagine he'd put up with North in the booth.

I don't get TV, and my the my short radio menu includes little baseball. As much as I would like to listen to Rooney and Farmer (I would listen to them over the people they have on television), I'm not going to pay MLB.com to listen to baseball. I still follow the Sox by hanging around in the chat room during games that are played when I'm not working.

If I don't pay to hear Rooeny, I can't see myself ever paying to hear North call the games. Even if you could stream live games for free, I would rather hear the other team's announcers call a Sox game than hear North. If the other team is the team that picks up Rooney, it would be a no-brainer.

MUScholar21
09-13-2005, 03:32 PM
Mike North? Jay Mariotti isn't available?

Nellie_Fox
09-13-2005, 03:32 PM
Heck, North could be alot of fun to listen to if he keeps telling the story of his Dad "loaded up with a quart of Shiltz and sitting around in his boxers with his shlong hanging out"...now that would be funny during a 3-2 count to Podsednik any night!!!Yeah, great. One more thing you couldn't listen to with kids in the area.

Ol' No. 2
09-13-2005, 03:33 PM
Yeah, great. One more thing you couldn't listen to with kids in the area.That will go a long way with their strategy of marketing to families.

Lip Man 1
09-13-2005, 03:34 PM
Frater:

How about posting Rosen's e-mail address?

Lip

cheeses_h_rice
09-13-2005, 03:40 PM
Frater:

Lip

I would try programming@670thescore.com or mitchrosen@670thescore.com.

Frater Perdurabo
09-13-2005, 04:47 PM
Frater:

Lip

Cheeses beat me to it. :bandance:

Dick Allen
09-13-2005, 05:08 PM
I can't believe how worked up people are getting over this. It is just Sherman pointing out that North has a couple of inherent items in his favor for landing the job.

He also has some inherent disadvantages, like a 4 hour show every morning (which is glossed over in the article). Is Pappy gonna do his "Undeniably Chicago" show from Arizona for 2 months? Is he going go on air at 4AM local time during west coast road trips? This is a guy who takes 35 vacation weeks a year... do you guys really think he would actually take the job when he realized what the commitment required. No way. There is a .0000001% chance of this happening.

Like another poster pointed out, the real item to fear right now is Jesse Rogers being in some way linked to the Sox broadcast.Get your facts straight. He's on for only two hours, the other two hours are commercials.:D:

gf2020
09-13-2005, 05:13 PM
I would try programming@670thescore.com or mitchrosen@670thescore.com.

Good guesses, but it's actually:

mitch.rosen@infinitybroadcasting.com (mitch.rosen@infinitybroadcasting.com)

Lip Man 1
09-14-2005, 01:17 AM
From the Tribune:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-050913morrissey,1,5288092.column?coll=cs-home-utility

and here is the e-mail I sent Rick. Feel free to discuss as you see fit:

Hi Rick:

Regarding Mike North. Let's see...the White Sox franchise has already thrown a World Series, had Disco Demolition, saw its own owner torpedo a possible World Series appearance in an insane desire to break the players union, and become a national embarrassment thanks to the White Flag Trade.

And you think they need this buffoon? Haven't they done enough in a century to embarrass themselves?

I give the over/under before he got suspended at a month. I'd also bet that MLB would step in and remove him as an politically correct thing (i.e. John Rocker, Marge Shott...)

He's colorful...big deal. So was Evil Knievil and Ross Perot. Can him speak coherently? Can he use proper English without embarrassing himself, his employers, the White Sox and the city of Chicago? Does he know a damn thing about baseball?

Why is it (and I say this as someone who worked in TV sports for 15 years) O.K. for any clown who's "colorful" to wind up behind a microphone? What ever happened to giving jobs to those who are trained for it?

Tell you what... why don't you request that he be added to the sports staff of the Tribune. I mean how much work and training does it take to sit behind a computer and spew out rambling nonsense. I mean you think it's fine to hire him in broadcasting right? Do you think it's fine for him to be in journalism???

If it's so important to get someone to 'add excitement' to the White Sox (as if the on-field winning isn't enough...) then bring back Jimmy Piersall. I interviewed him a few months ago. He's 75 and still extremely sharp in mind. AND he actually played the game and broadcast it for a number of years.

With respect Rick, if you want 'colorful' dump this idiot into Wrigley Field where the other drunks, frat boys and bimbo's reside.

As for me when I listen to the White Sox I want to know what's going on in the game from someone who knows what the hell he's talking about. I've forgotten in 45 years of following the team and being a Sox historian more then that illiterate, drop out, blowhard has ever known. (and I don't care how much money he's making...that's a reflection on how the standards of broadcasting have dropped in order to continue getting higher ratings from dumber Americans)

Mark Liptak
mliptak1@msn.com (mliptak1@msn.com)

peeonwrigley
09-14-2005, 01:31 AM
From the article.....

But there's one condition: The only way I want North on the Sox broadcasts is if he's able to be himself. I want him saying whatever comes into that brain of his. I want his unfiltered emotion. He's a Sox fan. He cares. It's what makes Ron Santo so popular on Cubs' broadcasts.

:?:

Sox fans want Santo? :?::?::?:

:?: X 1000000

Why is the Cubune running with this story?

HotelWhiteSox
09-14-2005, 01:34 AM
I wrote this in an earlier thread asking about replacements:

Runners on 2nd and 3rd, nobody out, MY GUY! Chris Widger, up. At this point I'd like to welcome in Jesse Rogers and my beautiful wife Bebe who's showcasing a new dog for AdoptAPet. *cue Likrish barking soundbite*...Tune in in the 7th for Fritzy's Night on the Town where Knuckles and Fritz argue the best casino for good lookin waitresses!

Lucky for us I don't think there's a chance that happens, he's already rich from robbing the Score and I don't think he'd want to wait until the end of the day to start one of his 'night on the towns' where he ends up arrested with Jesse Rogers for picking up a transvestite hooker who was really an undercover cop.

and I was hoping for the 2nd paragraph to be true :mad:

I'm now spoiled though after I read suggestions by others on the board (not sure if it was in print), I want Torborg

santo=dorf
09-14-2005, 01:56 AM
"Hey Doug, what's this dog day all about? I mean, I have a hard enough time controlling Bebe at the games, and now you're telling me I got to clean up after Licorice? What the Sox need to do is have "Steak and BJ' night."

"First off the name is Ed, not Ned, Fred, or Doug for that matter, and I can't say I'm a big fan of licorice. When I trick or treated we only expected chocolate, no Twizzlers. As for your promotion idea, I can't say it sounds bad, but I think the fans would rather have 'Hawk and DJ' night."

"OK Farmeo. Did you see the Bears game last Sunday? Someone should tell Denny Green why the NFL doesn't hire black coaches, and point to the Bears as an example."

HotelWhiteSox
09-14-2005, 02:19 AM
"Hey Doug, what's this dog day all about? I mean, I have a hard enough time controlling Bebe at the games, and now you're telling me I got to clean up after Licorice? What the Sox need to do is have "Steak and BJ' night."

"First off the name is Ed, not Ned, Fred, or Doug for that matter, and I can't say I'm a big fan of licorice. When I trick or treated we only expected chocolate, no Twizzlers. As for your promotion idea, I can't say it sounds bad, but I think the fans would rather have 'Hawk and DJ' night."

"OK Farmeo. Did you see the Bears game last Sunday? Someone should tell Denny Green why the NFL doesn't hire black coaches, and point to the Bears as an example."

bwhahahahahahaha

Mr. White Sox
09-14-2005, 02:40 AM
bwhahahahahahaha

Second'D! :rolling:

SSN721
09-14-2005, 06:00 AM

Noice, very well done :D:

ElevenUp
09-14-2005, 09:49 AM
Morrisey's column today on why Mike North would be great in the Sox radio booth. What gets me is his description of the current broadcast: "the dreariness we have been served for years." Makes me wonder if he has ever listened to Ed Rooney, who is the best in the business. I honestly don't know why I even bother to read the Trib.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-050913morrissey,1,3841672.column?coll=chi-sportsnew-hed

Optipessimism
09-14-2005, 09:53 AM
Morrisey's column today on why Mike North would be great in the Sox radio booth. What gets me is his description of the current broadcast: "the dreariness we have been served for years." Makes me wonder if he has ever listened to Ed Rooney, who is the best in the business. I honestly don't know why I even bother to read the Trib.

Ed Rooney?

ElevenUp
09-14-2005, 09:56 AM
Ed Rooney?

Oops. My bad, I haven't had my second cupf coffee yet today.

KarkoFan1
09-14-2005, 10:08 AM
Oops. My bad, I haven't had my second cupf coffee yet today.

I do that every once in a while especailly if I have just watched Ferris Bueller.

MisterB
09-14-2005, 10:10 AM
Ed Rooney?

http://www.postmodernclog.com/archives/ed%20rooney.JPG
"GRACE!!!"

:D:

RallyBowl
09-14-2005, 10:12 AM
[QUOTE=MisterB]http://www.postmodernclog.com/archives/ed%20rooney.JPG
"GRACE!!!"

Hahahahahahahaha!:rolling:

Fenway
09-14-2005, 10:18 AM
Morrisey can be forgiven since he works for a company that had a nationwide search of their announcer and came up with Ron Santo

Oh no...................

SoxFan76
09-14-2005, 10:19 AM
You gotta give them a break. It is the Cubune, and they are just used to the expert analysis of Ron Santo and his personal assistant Yogi Bear...I mean Pat Hughes.

ps...I'm not the only one who thinks Pat Hughes sounds like Yogi Bear, am I? Heeeey Ronny. We got a grrrreat crowd today. It's a beeeaaautiful day to be at the Friendly Confines.

Dick Allen
09-14-2005, 10:30 AM
From the Tribune:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/cs-050913morrissey,1,5288092.column?coll=cs-home-utility

and here is the e-mail I sent Rick. Feel free to discuss as you see fit:

Hi Rick:

Regarding Mike North. Let's see...the White Sox franchise has already thrown a World Series, had Disco Demolition, saw its own owner torpedo a possible World Series appearance in an insane desire to break the players union, and become a national embarrassment thanks to the White Flag Trade.

And you think they need this buffoon? Haven't they done enough in a century to embarrass themselves?

I give the over/under before he got suspended at a month. I'd also bet that MLB would step in and remove him as an politically correct thing (i.e. John Rocker, Marge Shott...)

He's colorful...big deal. So was Evil Knievil and Ross Perot. Can him speak coherently? Can he use proper English without embarrassing himself, his employers, the White Sox and the city of Chicago? Does he know a damn thing about baseball?

Why is it (and I say this as someone who worked in TV sports for 15 years) O.K. for any clown who's "colorful" to wind up behind a microphone? What ever happened to giving jobs to those who are trained for it?

Tell you what... why don't you request that he be added to the sports staff of the Tribune. I mean how much work and training does it take to sit behind a computer and spew out rambling nonsense. I mean you think it's fine to hire him in broadcasting right? Do you think it's fine for him to be in journalism???

If it's so important to get someone to 'add excitement' to the White Sox (as if the on-field winning isn't enough...) then bring back Jimmy Piersall. I interviewed him a few months ago. He's 75 and still extremely sharp in mind. AND he actually played the game and broadcast it for a number of years.

With respect Rick, if you want 'colorful' dump this idiot into Wrigley Field where the other drunks, frat boys and bimbo's reside.

As for me when I listen to the White Sox I want to know what's going on in the game from someone who knows what the hell he's talking about. I've forgotten in 45 years of following the team and being a Sox historian more then that illiterate, drop out, blowhard has ever known. (and I don't care how much money he's making...that's a reflection on how the standards of broadcasting have dropped in order to continue getting higher ratings from dumber Americans)

Mark Liptak
mliptak1@msn.com (mliptak1@msn.com) Lip, that last comment in parenthises says it all. Good job.

slavko
09-14-2005, 10:32 AM
ps...I'm not the only one who thinks Pat Hughes sounds like Yogi Bear, am I? Heeeey Ronny. We got a grrrreat crowd today. It's a beeeaaautiful day to be at the Friendly Confines.

Bingo! And Ronnie? Cub fans are in love with mediocrity, but he'd have to improve two grades to reach mediocre.

Now for some heresy: JR is an outstanding professional announcer and he even has improved in the last few years insofar as generating a sense of excitement in his broadcasts, but how many people has he brought in to the park? How many new Sox fans has he created? Harry Caray built an audience for the club. John Rooney presided over a time in which some of that audience slipped away. I find Mike North vile and repulsive and want nothing to do with him, but a new approach of some kind might not be a bad idea. Dave Wills, for one, might be a better fan base builder than Rooney was.

miker
09-14-2005, 10:51 AM
You forgot the bad "turn of the century" style uni's in the late 70's, early 80's and Jamiie Navarro...

Great call! "Thanks" for reminding me...*shudder*:(:

Chez
09-14-2005, 11:45 AM
I e-mailed him and referred him to yesterday's WSI thread on the same topic. Morrissey's usually pretty good but today's column's sideswipe at Rooney and his insinuation that the only way the Sox will "get attention" is to hire a clown like North were off-base. The best way for the Sox to "get attention" is to continue to win.

chitownhawkfan
09-14-2005, 12:09 PM
Bingo! And Ronnie? Cub fans are in love with mediocrity, but he'd have to improve two grades to reach mediocre.

Now for some heresy: JR is an outstanding professional announcer and he even has improved in the last few years insofar as generating a sense of excitement in his broadcasts, but how many people has he brought in to the park? How many new Sox fans has he created? Harry Caray built an audience for the club. John Rooney presided over a time in which some of that audience slipped away. I find Mike North vile and repulsive and want nothing to do with him, but a new approach of some kind might not be a bad idea. Dave Wills, for one, might be a better fan base builder than Rooney was.

I thought the job of a broadcaster was to call the game, not become some sideshow distraction that lemming fans can grab onto.:?:

miker
09-14-2005, 12:13 PM
I thought the job of a broadcaster was to call the game, not become some sideshow distraction that lemming fans can grab onto.:?:
Depends what your organization's goals are. Apparently the White Sox want to win and that apparently doesn't interest as many people as a pilgrimage to a false shrine.

soxgirl617
09-14-2005, 12:28 PM

I disagree with this theory. Broadcasters don't attract real fans (although a bad broadcaster might drive a fan to turn off the radio or TV, and turn on the other). As stated earlier in this thread, a broadcaster's job is to broadcast, not build a fan base.

Additionally, hiring Mike North would be a PR disaster for the Sox, IMHO. He is an obnoxious buffoon, and hiring him would only play into the (false, of course, but real) stereotype that Sox fans are coarse, undereducated, mannerless people.

I think Dave Wills or Jeff Torberg would be interesting choices.

Fenway
09-14-2005, 12:29 PM

remember Veeck started the whole Caray routine and then Piersall was allowed to go completly unchecked until he went after the reporter. Only then did Veeck try to control Jimmy.

enurb
09-14-2005, 12:44 PM
North should stick to broadcasting 16 inch softball -- another topic he knows nothing about.

Bottom line, North is patently offensive and there is no way he will even be considered for the job. Morrissey is just trying to be controversial in his quest to be somehow relevant to Chicago sports. As usual, Morrissey is two or three days behind the story and adds nothing to it.

TDog
09-14-2005, 01:06 PM
The first time I heard Mike North on the radio, scanning in my car to find something to listen to in traffic, I thought it was an act. I thought less of Chicago when I realized it was not. I came to believe "obnoxious buffoon" is actually his job description.

If there is an opening for a radio announcer, Bill Melton and Dave Wills should make the short list. For many teams, an announcer's job used to be selling beer. That was Harry Caray's job, which he did well working for a brewer for 25 years. Harry Caray still sells beer from the grave. The Sox don't need a salesman or a buffoon, they need someone who is pleasant to listen to who can describe the game for fans who can't see it.

miker
09-14-2005, 01:12 PM
The first time I heard Mike North on the radio, scanning in my car to find something to listen to in traffic, I thought it was an act. I thought less of Chicago when I realized it was not. I came to believe "obnoxious buffoon" is actually his job description.
How dare you judge us by our "obnoxious buffoons"...that's like judging Juneau by its drunk eskimos!

TDog
09-14-2005, 01:19 PM
How dare you judge us by our "obnoxious buffoons"...that's like judging Juneau by its drunk eskimos!

I know this is in teal, but for the record, there are no Eskimos in Juneau. The Natives who populate the rain forests of Southeast Alaska are Tlingit and Haida.

I don't judge Chicago by one obnoxious buffoon, but I think Mike North's apparent popularity, as evidenced by what people say he earns at his job of being an obnoxious buffoon, reflects poorly on the city.

miker
09-14-2005, 02:09 PM
Oh great, not only do Chicagoans popularize "obnoxious buffoons" but we're ignorant of the world culture too! Thanks a lot TDog!

I'm joking with you...but if I want to be insulted I'll just read the Chicago Tribune.:smile:

slavko
09-14-2005, 05:46 PM
I disagree with this theory. Broadcasters don't attract real fans (although a bad broadcaster might drive a fan to turn off the radio or TV, and turn on the other). As stated earlier in this thread, a broadcaster's job is to broadcast, not build a fan base.

Additionally, hiring Mike North would be a PR disaster for the Sox, IMHO. He is an obnoxious buffoon, and hiring him would only play into the (false, of course, but real) stereotype that Sox fans are coarse, undereducated, mannerless people.

I think Dave Wills or Jeff Torberg would be interesting choices.

So...you really agree with me that a broadcasater CAN put behinds in the seats. Should management care whether the behinds in those seats are REAL fans? If I were management, I wouldn't. Behinds = revenue and revenue = better players. Of course you and I and the other real fans deserve a great PBP, but there is nothing saying that a great PBP can't put behinds in seats. Don't misconstrue my earlier post as an endorsement of North, who would be vile, repulsive, and a bad color guy. I just want a PBP who can do both parts of the job. Like Dave Wills.

putherawaywet
09-14-2005, 06:22 PM
This would be the worst thing to happen to White Sox baseball since the Black Sox scandal. Not only is North a complete idiot but he is also an insensitive racist. I can't put into words how pissed I would be to have my favorite sports franchise associated with this guy.

Let's hope it's just Cubune nonsense.

TornLabrum
09-14-2005, 09:12 PM
Ed Rooney?

He meant Mickey Rooney, of course.

TornLabrum
09-14-2005, 09:14 PM
remember Veeck started the whole Caray routine and then Piersall was allowed to go completly unchecked until he went after the reporter. Only then did Veeck try to control Jimmy.

And that reporter later became Rob Gallas.

Ol' No. 2
09-14-2005, 10:44 PM
And that reporter later became Rob Gallas.Who was he before he became Rob Gallas?:tongue:

Nellie_Fox
09-14-2005, 11:38 PM
Who was he before he became Rob Gallas?:tongue:Hmmm. A deep philosophical question.

Lip Man 1
09-15-2005, 12:11 AM
Someone who thought he was Rob Gallas?

Lip