PDA

View Full Version : 1 Game Playoff Home Field-Why a Coin Toss??!

Foulke You
09-12-2005, 07:04 PM
As people may or may not have heard, there was a coin toss today to decide who has home field advantage for a 1 game playoff between the Tribe and the Sox should they end up tied at season's end.

Which brings me to my rant, you mean to tell me that Selig and his baseball "wizards" in that NYC home office can't come up with a more scientific way to decide home field in a 1 game playoff? Why not have the head 2 head series record between the Sox and Tribe decide it? The Sox have OWNED the Tribe this year and will likely win the season series but no, we have a friggin' coin decide what COULD be the biggest game of the year? I don't think it will come to that but it still blows my mind how retarded that coin thing is. Isn't it a DIVISION title? Shouldn't your play within the DIVISION dictate home field instead of a random coin toss? Ok, end of rant.

:tool
"A coin toss...that is how I make most of my key baseball decisions!"

Daver
09-12-2005, 07:19 PM
That has been how it is done since the turn of the century.

TommyJohn
09-12-2005, 07:33 PM
As people may or may not have heard, there was a coin toss today to decide who has home field advantage for a 1 game playoff between the Tribe and the Sox should they end up tied at season's end.

Which brings me to my rant, you mean to tell me that Selig and his baseball "wizards" in that NYC home office can't come up with a more scientific way to decide home field in a 1 game playoff? Why not have the head 2 head series record between the Sox and Tribe decide it? The Sox have OWNED the Tribe this year and will likely win the season series but no, we have a friggin' coin decide what COULD be the biggest game of the year? I don't think it will come to that but it still blows my mind how retarded that coin thing is. Isn't it a DIVISION title? Shouldn't your play within the DIVISION dictate home field instead of a random coin toss? Ok, end of rant.

"A coin toss...that is how I make most of my key baseball decisions!"

They will not likely win the season series. They already have. The Sox are
10-3 against Cleveland with 6 remaining. I believe a tiebreaker would be used
if the Indians and White Sox end up tied with one of them being the wildcard.
It was done back in 2001 for the Astros and Cardinals.

MarySwiss
09-12-2005, 07:43 PM

Is this seriously true? Why in the world would there be a coin toss TODAY to decide something that will almost certainly not happen?

soxwon
09-12-2005, 08:00 PM
well what was the outcome of the toss?

chisoxfanatic
09-12-2005, 08:13 PM
well what was the outcome of the toss?

The Indians would host the 1-game playoff in ALL scenarios!

Unregistered
09-12-2005, 08:25 PM
The Indians would host the 1-game playoff in ALL scenarios!
The Indians just CAN'T LOSE lately...

chisoxfanatic
09-12-2005, 08:29 PM

The Yankees would host the Red Sox in the case of a tie in the AL East, and the Angels would host Oakland in case of a tie for the division, but they would travel to the Jake if they were playing for the Wild Card.

MarySwiss
09-12-2005, 08:34 PM
As I understand it, here's the deal. The Indians won a tiebreaking coin toss.

That only matters in the postseason if THEY matter in the postseason. By no means a given.

SouthSide_HitMen
09-12-2005, 09:15 PM
Answer: Because Bud would screw up paper, scissors, rock.

HotelWhiteSox
09-12-2005, 09:38 PM
Good thing I checked this forum before starting my topic in the Clubhouse, where I was going to rip on Bud for always choosing the stupid alternative compared to, uhhh, how about who has the better head to head record getting home field? I've cooled down since hearing this however /decided it to be a non-issue because.

1. The situation will not present itself - period
2. The Sox have showed no problem playing on the road

Seriously though, maybe next time Bud can take a page from Vegas Vacation and let the heads of the teams play 'War' or 'Guess the Number'

SOXintheBURGH
09-12-2005, 09:39 PM

"Good old rock, nothing beats that!"

pczarapa
09-12-2005, 09:48 PM

They did allright in losing tonight, for once I like the A's

Lip Man 1
09-12-2005, 10:36 PM
Nice to see the usual White Sox 'luck' is still alive and well.

Lip

Deuce
09-12-2005, 10:47 PM
If such a nightmare scenario would come about, I'd prefer it in Cleveland... we have a better road record after all. :)

Deuce

Optipessimism
09-13-2005, 12:07 AM

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:Vm-WiTX7tVkJ:www.msbaseball.com/photogallery/misc/bud_selig/Bud%2520Selig%2520melts%2520when%2520exposed%2520t o%2520sunlight.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.msbaseball.com/photogallery/misc/bud_selig/Bud%2520Selig%2520melts%2520when%2520exposed%2520t o%2520sunlight.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.msbaseball.com/photogallery/misc/bud_selig/&h=200&w=275&sz=12&tbnid=Vm-WiTX7tVkJ:&tbnh=79&tbnw=109&hl=en&start=2&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbud%2Bselig%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26 lr%3D)
"Can't we play needles, scandals, lawsuits instead? I need more practice."

StillMissOzzie
09-13-2005, 12:11 AM

"Why yes, I have always made 'scissors' with my thumb & forefinger-why do you ask?"

SMO
:gulp:

Foulke You
09-13-2005, 05:13 PM
That has been how it is done since the turn of the century.
Despite the fact that it has been used a long time, I can't think of one good argument for having a coin toss decide something so important. It is absurd to use the randomness of a coin flip over divisional record and/or head to head record to decide home field in a 1 game playoff for the division crown.

gf2020
09-13-2005, 05:18 PM
Despite the fact that it has been used a long time, I can't think of one good argument for having a coin toss decide something so important. It is absurd to use the randomness of a coin flip over divisional record and/or head to head record to decide home field in a 1 game playoff for the division crown.

The problem is the logistics involved. The television outlets, stadium, hotels and ticket sellers need to know well ahead a time for a game of this magnitude. Divisional Records and/or head to head records could possibly not be determined until that last Sunday's final game.

Daver
09-13-2005, 05:20 PM

It is completely is completely random, with no variables, it gives a clear cut decision that cannot be argued.

Ol' No. 2
09-13-2005, 05:30 PM
Despite the fact that it has been used a long time, I can't think of one good argument for having a coin toss decide something so important. It is absurd to use the randomness of a coin flip over divisional record and/or head to head record to decide home field in a 1 game playoff for the division crown.The coin flip does not decide it. The teams decide it ON THE FIELD, which is where it's supposed to be decided. It's counted as a regular season game. The team with the best regular season record wins. All the coin toss decides is where the game is to be played.

Foulke You
09-13-2005, 05:41 PM
All the coin toss decides is where the game is to be played.
Ultimately, you are correct that the game is decided between the white lines but home field sometimes helps to dictate what happens between those white lines.

According to the Sun-Times, the Indians have won 31 out of their last 53 home games. I realize the Sox play well on the road but given the choice, I'm sure most of the players would rather stay at their homes in Chicago in front of 40,000 loud juiced up Sox fans rather than flying to Cleveland to a hostile Jacobs Field. Also, I'm not looking at this just from a White Sox perspective. The Boston Red Sox lost their coin flip to the Yanks. The Red Sox are incredible at Fenway but merely a .500 team on the road. Could be a big factor in a 1 game playoff. All thanks to a coin flip.

Foulke You
09-13-2005, 05:46 PM
The problem is the logistics involved. The television outlets, stadium, hotels and ticket sellers need to know well ahead a time for a game of this magnitude. Divisional Records and/or head to head records could possibly not be determined until that last Sunday's final game.
This is a possibility but I still don't buy it as the specific reason a coin is used. The league doesn't know if a playoff series is going to go 4 games or 7 but they plan accordingly for all possibilities. The ALDS doesn't begin until October 4th and with the tight wild card race, it is anyone's guess on what the matchups will be and what city they will take place in. The league plans for all those scenarios. In fact, a recent Sun Times article pointed out that league officials were visiting US Cellular Field to make playoff preparations (TV crews, press, etc). I don't see why the league couldn't make similar preparations for a possible 1 game playoff scenario.

Foulke You
09-13-2005, 05:51 PM
It is completely is completely random, with no variables, it gives a clear cut decision that cannot be argued.
The fact that it is completely random and not decided by regular season play is exactly what is wrong about it. I would prefer baseball games won and lost decide.

Ol' No. 2
09-13-2005, 06:00 PM
The fact that it is completely random and not decided by regular season play is exactly what is wrong about it. I would prefer baseball games won and lost decide.It is decided by regular season play. Best record wins. No tiebreakers.