PDA

View Full Version : Allard chat with Lindberg

TommyJohn
09-12-2005, 06:35 PM
I'll put this in here.

I just got done reading that Phil Allard chat with Rich Lindberg and my question is, did he really talk to him? I ask because it is full of mistakes;
ones which I find hard to believe a hard, dedicated fan like Lindberg would ever make. Is Rich just the victim of a faulty memory? Or did Allard not write down what he said? What gives?

Example: It says that Tito Landrum hit a three run homer in Game 4 of the
1983 playoffs. It was a solo home run, as anyone old enough would know.
He also said that Veeck was shopping around for potential buyers while
the team played in Milwaukee in 1968 and 1969. It was Arthur Allyn, as Rich
would know having written it in a book. He does mention what jerks Mariotti
and Rick Talley are, so the interview seems genuine. But what's with the
errors?

I know the mods who post may not have time enough to nitpick out every
wrong detail. That is not my point. My point is I'm surprised Lindberg would
make casual mistakes like the ones in there.

slavko
09-12-2005, 06:45 PM
It also surprises me that a board which doesn't permit discussion of A********* would publish an interview which is mostly about A*********, even if it is an interview with a highly esteemed White Sox Geek (and I use the word in its most positive sense). This stuff is old, we've all seen it here before, and it's full of the type of inaccuracy and omission mentioned above that I don't want to get into a big lather about.

cubhater
09-12-2005, 07:24 PM
I'll put this in here.

I just got done reading that Phil Allard chat with Rich Lindberg and my question is, did he really talk to him? I ask because it is full of mistakes;
ones which I find hard to believe a hard, dedicated fan like Lindberg would ever make. Is Rich just the victim of a faulty memory? Or did Allard not write down what he said? What gives?

Example: It says that Tito Landrum hit a three run homer in Game 4 of the
1983 playoffs. It was a solo home run, as anyone old enough would know.
He also said that Veeck was shopping around for potential buyers while
the team played in Milwaukee in 1968 and 1969. It was Arthur Allyn, as Rich
would know having written it in a book. He does mention what jerks Mariotti
and Rick Talley are, so the interview seems genuine. But what's with the
errors?

I know the mods who post may not have time enough to nitpick out every
wrong detail. That is not my point. My point is I'm surprised Lindberg would
make casual mistakes like the ones in there.

Phil Allard and I emailed a few times and I gave him some of my insight about the comparison of Sox/Cub fans before I gave him Rich's website so he could contact him for more info for the subject. Phil even emailed me a copy of the thank you note he sent Rich for his interviewing time so I'm sure they corresponded with each other. I can't say if Rich got his facts crossed up or if Phil incorrectly jotted down the info. It's a topic Phil wanted to do for a long time and I'm sure he feels bad about the two errors.

Lip Man 1
09-12-2005, 10:40 PM
With respect that interview sucked. If you want an interview with Rich at his best, try these two:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=11&id=512

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=11&id=539

Lip